BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Empty Nesters and X7

01-17-2022, 03:56 PM   #23
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, Porsche Taycan 4S+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Action View Post
TsunamiFury I think the Cayenne is a great alternative to the X5/X7, albeit at a higher price point when similarly optioned. Porsche makes great cars and the Cayenne does handle better than the X5/X7 imo. I don't think anyone here is making extravagant claims about handling.

Now the Macan is not comparable to the X7. It's much smaller and I would expect it to handle differently.

As for the Bentayga et al - I suspect that most of the people on this could afford just about any SUV on the market. I'm just not interested in being that guy in the neighborhood who drives around in a Urus or a Cullinan or even a Range Rover.

What I love about BMW is they make great cars that aren't super flashy. There is something for everyone in the marketplace.
The overly splashly issue was also why I didn’t get the Bentyaga. But in reality if I could avoid what people thought of the car that’s what I’d get.

You’ll love the X7 it is very nice and handles very well.

To your point about affording. I agree anyone here should also be able to get the Bentayaga no sweat but as shown by the above comments seems like some are not really there.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:57 PM   #24
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

The X7's best feature, after its luxury, is its utility.

Having the option for 6 or 7 passengers at the touch of a button is magic. It'll also come in handy when the kids come home with their girlfriends/boyfriends, you'll be the car everyone will want to ride in comfort when you go out to dinner with 2 other couples, etc.

I could argue that the X7 has more value to an empty nester as to those that have a house full of kids.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 04:04 PM   #25
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

honestly people should just get this because it’s badass. Doesn’t matter if family of 1 or 7. Enjoy life, drive a nice car if it gives you positive reinforcement!
Go for the Alpina if you care for horsepower, go for the 40i with MHEV if mpg is your thing. Freude am Fahren! Just a few random examples of other cars in that M50i price range you’re giving a spot in your garage up on to drive the X7 (most of them cheaper than the X7 M50i, let’s say in the 90k-125k range):
- Lotus Evora GT
- RAM TRX
- Ford Raptor
- Shelby GT500
- Jeep Grand Wagoneer Series III
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
- Lincoln Navigator Black Label
- Cadillac Escalade Platinum
- Range Rover P430 and P525
- Range Rover Sport SVR Autobiography
- Porsche Cayenne
- Porsche Taycan
- Porsche Panamera
- Audi SQ8
- Audi RS Q7
- Tesla Model X
- Audi e-tron GT
- BMW M850i GC, Coupe and Convertible
- BMW X5 M, X6 M and M5
- Any of the loser AMG GLE/GLS without V8 because Mercedes couldn’t produce proper quality engines this year and completely killed its US market. BMW says thank you!
- Mercedes Benz EQS450+
- Lucid Air Grand Touring

Basically any of the currently hottest, craziest, comfiest cars out there. And we’re getting an X7 instead. Puts it a bit in perspective.

Last edited by Tr4ckD4ys; 01-17-2022 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1838.50
      01-17-2022, 04:33 PM   #26
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrazdan View Post
I would like to get thoughts and opinions of fellow empty nesters (+/- a &#128021

We have an x5 and happy (plus a 328i which I am wanting to trade in). X5 is big enough but x7 is delicious with some of the features like air suspension soft closing doers etc. it is a bit big although more comfortable for travel. We anticipate 3rd seats will be folded most of the time.

Wondering if you all had similar quandary and what led to your decision. We could get a another x5 (45e) and most likely happy (it has air suspension).

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried the latest generation of Cayenne? Same size as the X5, many models ranging from V6, Hybrid, V8, and plenty of options and add ons ranging from comfort and convenience (air suspension, soft close, leather trimmed everything, etc.) to sport and handling (dynamic chassis control, torque vectoring plus, sport chrono, etc.). Only downside is it costs a pretty penny.
CarMan77424.50
      01-17-2022, 05:18 PM   #27
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Have you tried the latest generation of Cayenne? Same size as the X5, many models ranging from V6, Hybrid, V8, and plenty of options and add ons ranging from comfort and convenience (air suspension, soft close, leather trimmed everything, etc.) to sport and handling (dynamic chassis control, torque vectoring plus, sport chrono, etc.). Only downside is it costs a pretty penny.
No, I have not, I have driven both versions of x7 though. I like the roominess and suppleness of x7. I keep my cars for long time .. 6-8 years. I will just say Porsche is … I don’t want to go there, cost and otherwise.

Btw thanks for all of you who shared your perspectives.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:35 PM   #28
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

The ability to get a full air suspension that doesn't suck along with DHP throws the x7 over the top of the x5 for me. Even if I didn't have a want for 3 rows, I'd have gotten the x7 over the x5.

On the Bentley... if you're skipping a fully loaded x7/xb7 in favor of an impossible-to-find stripper base model Bentayga, you have problems. It's a great vehicle, but absolutely idiotic to buy in a stripped out trim
      01-17-2022, 06:12 PM   #29
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
The ability to get a full air suspension that doesn't suck along with DHP throws the x7 over the top of the x5 for me. Even if I didn't have a want for 3 rows, I'd have gotten the x7 over the x5.

On the Bentley... if you're skipping a fully loaded x7/xb7 in favor of an impossible-to-find stripper base model Bentayga, you have problems. It's a great vehicle, but absolutely idiotic to buy in a stripped out trim
Fully loaded XB7, leave alone X7, doesn’t get you close to a stripped out Bentayga. Before pandemic they were going for ~190k. That’s still a 40K difference to an XB7… or a quarter worth of an XB7.
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1838.50
      01-17-2022, 06:40 PM   #30
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post

Fully loaded XB7, leave alone X7, doesn’t get you close to a stripped out Bentayga. Before pandemic they were going for ~190k. That’s still a 40K difference to an XB7… or a quarter worth of an XB7.
I may come off as a dick at times, but it just bugs me when people post nonsensical rubbish on these forums. They must have something better to do, right?

Suggesting the OP cross-shop a Bentayga; and then throwing out straight up bullshit pricing numbers….

Some of these guys seriously need a hobby.
      01-17-2022, 07:09 PM   #31
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post
I may come off as a dick at times, but it just bugs me when people post nonsensical rubbish on these forums. They must have something better to do, right?

Suggesting the OP cross-shop a Bentayga; and then throwing out straight up bullshit pricing numbers….

Some of these guys seriously need a hobby.
Bentayga base price used to be 160k for the shit engine option (quick Google confirms). V8 Bentayga was in the 180k base price region. Obviously now there’s a ton of ADM - but I’m just saying: XB7 costs fully loaded significantly (ie 25%) less than a Bentayga (MSRP wise). Don’t see the bullshit in those list price numbers. Do you confer or were you comparing with ADM? Either way, the argument is that you cant really cross shop with a Bentayga. Plus, to give you a little rest of mind as an Alpina owner: it still has much more of that “limited” aura than a Bentley. You just don’t see them as often. Just throwing you a bone here to calm you down a bit from the bugging semantics.

Isn’t this forum a little hobby to all of us here?

Last edited by Tr4ckD4ys; 01-17-2022 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 07:21 PM   #32
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep

I hear you, I was referring to that Tsunami character.

Yes, it is a hobby to some, but for many it's a reference point for folks just looking for guidance and pertinent information.

Too often people hop on here and spew straight up falsehoods etc.

I won't lose any sleep either way. And yes, these Alpina's are rarer then hens teeth. 😎 🤜🤛
      01-18-2022, 11:58 PM   #33
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Almost empty nesters here. Bought a fully loaded X7 M50i when both kids were still in the house last year. One moved out and the other drives his own X3 and seldom goes anywhere with us.

Well after a year we felt it was too much and wanted something smaller so we traded the X7 in.
As far as luxury, driving dynamics, capability, etc it was a great SUV. But we just didn’t need all the space. I do miss the power sometimes, but find our new smaller SUV is just as fun to drive.

Now, I made the mistake of driving a 2021 Porsche Cayenne Coupe GTS. Better than the X7 in every way but size of course. I plan to order one here in the next year. Just waiting for the refresh to happen.

I think you’ll love the X7. We enjoyed our time with ours.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:28 AM   #34
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Almost empty nesters here. Bought a fully loaded X7 M50i when both kids were still in the house last year. One moved out and the other drives his own X3 and seldom goes anywhere with us.

Well after a year we felt it was too much and wanted something smaller so we traded the X7 in.
As far as luxury, driving dynamics, capability, etc it was a great SUV. But we just didn’t need all the space. I do miss the power sometimes, but find our new smaller SUV is just as fun to drive.

Now, I made the mistake of driving a 2021 Porsche Cayenne Coupe GTS. Better than the X7 in every way but size of course. I plan to order one here in the next year. Just waiting for the refresh to happen.

I think you’ll love the X7. We enjoyed our time with ours.
Can you elaborate on all the ways in which the Cayenne GTS is better? I’ll tell you one way it’s not: Power and speed.
I imagine Porsche steering is more precise and body behavior is less oversteer, but that’s about it. I don’t think it wins on comfort, leather quality (excluding the individual trims) or infotainment system. That leaves design and feel, brand and price (which are almost all subjective). Reason I’m pressing is because I too was heavily considering the Cayenne again (I used to drive one) and aside from size could not find a justification for the underwhelming set of features and power at that price point. Frankly, I find getting an Alpina a much more nuanced choice at that price point of 150k instead of a Cayenne Turbo. And below that trim level it just appears to be a rip off for brand & design. Ie a comparably loaded Cayenne GTS will set you back 140k (comparing to an X7 M50i fully loaded at 115k). So for that money, I’d take the Alpina any time. Or take the M50i and use the remaining $35k for other fun things.

Last edited by Tr4ckD4ys; 01-19-2022 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1838.50
      01-19-2022, 03:09 AM   #35
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

I have a fam of 4, but 99.99% of the time, it's just me driving the car. I still went for the X7 primarily as the highest level of quality and features. Zero regrets.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 1
MystroX56243.00
      01-20-2022, 10:00 AM   #36
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

We have had an X7 40i since 2019 when they first came out. It is without a doubt the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is comfortable, quiet and powerful enough for me. It exceeds both the acceleration times and fuel economy figures that BMW publishes. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to have gotten the car with 21in rims instead of the 22's we have. They look beautiful on the car and the car handles great, but when we have to replace the tires, the replacement tires are crazy expensive and we also had to purchase winter tires for the winter/snow season. Other than that I would buy one again in a heartbeat. So far we have 28,000 trouble free miles on the vehicle
Appreciate 2
Al Pinã1838.50
MystroX56243.00
      01-20-2022, 10:57 PM   #37
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Can you elaborate on all the ways in which the Cayenne GTS is better? I’ll tell you one way it’s not: Power and speed.
I imagine Porsche steering is more precise and body behavior is less oversteer, but that’s about it. I don’t think it wins on comfort, leather quality (excluding the individual trims) or infotainment system. That leaves design and feel, brand and price (which are almost all subjective). Reason I’m pressing is because I too was heavily considering the Cayenne again (I used to drive one) and aside from size could not find a justification for the underwhelming set of features and power at that price point. Frankly, I find getting an Alpina a much more nuanced choice at that price point of 150k instead of a Cayenne Turbo. And below that trim level it just appears to be a rip off for brand & design. Ie a comparably loaded Cayenne GTS will set you back 140k (comparing to an X7 M50i fully loaded at 115k). So for that money, I’d take the Alpina any time. Or take the M50i and use the remaining $35k for other fun things.
Obviously this is very subjective, but having owned and driven an X7 M50i and putting 20,000 miles on it I came away from a test drive of the Cayenne Coupe GTS with the impression that it was better.

Size - it’s the right size for me. I felt the X7 was a bit too large to feel very sporty although it does do a great job with DHP added

Power and speed - yes the X7 has more HP, but car and driver clocked the Cayenne 0-60 in 3.9 seconds / 1/4 mile in 12.5 and clocked the X7 0-60 in 4.1 seconds / 1/4 mile in 12.6.

Handling - I would feel much more confident with the Cayenne than an X7. Although it was only a test drive the Cayenne felt more planted, more composed, steering was razor sharp, and just felt like a more focused vehicle.

Looks - I like the cayenne better

Interior - yes subjective and I felt the Cayenne won out here with layout and the ability for customization. Refresh is coming for the Cayenne so need to wait and see. Also refresh is coming for the X7 as well.

So you can get a GTS for less than $140k, but that I found $140k gets you the best all around options. Is it worth $35k more than a fully loaded X7 M50i…well depends on the buyer and their needs.
Appreciate 1
Tr4ckD4ys388.50
      01-21-2022, 05:34 AM   #38
ph1958
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

My "commuter" car was a 2010 Lexus LS460L AWD from 2010 to 2019. It was an absolutely comfortable vehicle with all the creature comforts. Due to an unfortunate accident, I traded in the Lexus in 2019. I began to use my spouse's 2007 Mercedes GL450. While it did not have the Lexus's accoutrements, the Mercedes GL450 was exceptionally comfortable.

My spouse decided it was time to upgrade to a vehicle with current safety features (after Tiger Woods's rollover). I debated between the Mercedes GLS and waiting for the Lexus LX460 successor. After test-driving the BMW X7 for thirty minutes, I ordered the X7 iDrive 4.0 for Performance Center Delivery.

The BMW X7 is unequivocally the best driving / riding vehicle that I have owned. Its full suite of creature comforts, especially the assisted driving, makes long-distance driving such a pleasure. The X7 would be perfect if it were three or four inches longer.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:36 AM   #39
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Quote:
Can you elaborate on all the ways in which the Cayenne GTS is better? I'll tell you one way it's not: Power and speed.
I imagine Porsche steering is more precise and body behavior is less oversteer, but that's about it. I don't think it wins on comfort, leather quality (excluding the individual trims) or infotainment system. That leaves design and feel, brand and price (which are almost all subjective). Reason I'm pressing is because I too was heavily considering the Cayenne again (I used to drive one) and aside from size could not find a justification for the underwhelming set of features and power at that price point. Frankly, I find getting an Alpina a much more nuanced choice at that price point of 150k instead of a Cayenne Turbo. And below that trim level it just appears to be a rip off for brand & design. Ie a comparably loaded Cayenne GTS will set you back 140k (comparing to an X7 M50i fully loaded at 115k). So for that money, I'd take the Alpina any time. Or take the M50i and use the remaining $35k for other fun things.
Obviously this is very subjective, but having owned and driven an X7 M50i and putting 20,000 miles on it I came away from a test drive of the Cayenne Coupe GTS with the impression that it was better.

Size - it's the right size for me. I felt the X7 was a bit too large to feel very sporty although it does do a great job with DHP added

Power and speed - yes the X7 has more HP, but car and driver clocked the Cayenne 0-60 in 3.9 seconds / 1/4 mile in 12.5 and clocked the X7 0-60 in 4.1 seconds / 1/4 mile in 12.6.

Handling - I would feel much more confident with the Cayenne than an X7. Although it was only a test drive the Cayenne felt more planted, more composed, steering was razor sharp, and just felt like a more focused vehicle.

Looks - I like the cayenne better

Interior - yes subjective and I felt the Cayenne won out here with layout and the ability for customization. Refresh is coming for the Cayenne so need to wait and see. Also refresh is coming for the X7 as well.

So you can get a GTS for less than $140k, but that I found $140k gets you the best all around options. Is it worth $35k more than a fully loaded X7 M50i…well depends on the buyer and their needs.
Don't forget the $10K markup Porsche is currently charging.

Also, it would be foolish to pay MSRP or higher for the outgoing Cayenne. It's due for a major redesign this year.
      01-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #40
TexasJester
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I would drive/own the X7 M50i even without kids. It’s a flagship luxury SUV that performs like a animal when the go pedal goes down. Get the DHP option and you won’t even feel the size of the X7. Like you mentioned, all the high end options and build materials are also only available at this level. I went from a almost loaded G05 50i M-Sport to a fully loaded X7 M50i and it was a hell of a upgrade. As good as the ride was in the X5, the X7 is in another league of smoothness. Really one of the best rides money can buy.

The switch from the X7m50i to the Alpina XB7 is just as big of an improvement.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 04:00 PM   #41
TexasJester
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiFury View Post
If you don’t need the third row or the massive cargo area the X7 is a waste. The driving feel of the X7 is nicer than competitors in range but not at all great. A Porsche Cayenne would be a far better choice, or even a Macan, which is the king of the driving feel SUV segment.

I have an fully loaded X7 50i and it’s very nice, but even my Taycan has a better suspension. Don’t read too much into all the over exaggerations here of owners who way over sell this vehicles driving dynamics and comfort. It’s comfortable but no where near the best in the segment. It’s sporty but also no where near the bear compared to two row. It’s for seating 6-7 people or four with captains chairs.

If you really want comfort for the 100k plus price range a Bentyaga is a far better choice.
If you love your Porsche DO NOT go drive a Alpina XB7
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 05:04 PM   #42
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

Interesting how the thread has digressed to a totally different topic
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:53 PM   #43
Al Pinã
Major