BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Picking up new X7 at dealer tomorrow - What to bear in mind

01-23-2022, 05:46 AM   #1
pjfk101
United_States
Rep
Drives: toyota rav4 prime, Mercedes GL

Picking up new X7 at dealer tomorrow - What to bear in mind

Dear all

First time I'm buying a new BMX in the US (owned 2 in Europe before.)

For everyones reference - I ordered the X7 on Dec 3rd 2012. And Its been waiting for me to pick up at the dealer since Jan 14th (I've been traveling).

According to codes from MY Garage and the CA - I experienced no deletes on the car.

I Will purchase (great financing rate via PENFED ....no discount though...) no lease

Wanted to ask this experienced crew if you suggest I buy any additional maintenance as I was reading you all saying that the breaks needed to get replaced during a usual 3 year ownership lifetime of the X7. I will have the M Brakes (blue) on my 21 inch Bi-spoke Y wheels

Is there anything else I should bear in mind or options I should or should not get when picking up the car at the dealership on the east coast.

Would love to read if anyone has any experiences to share for doing this of late, stories or pitfalls to avoid.

If I sell my old car the next day after buying this one - can I still use my old plate?

Thanks again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 05:49 AM   #2
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Subscribing to this. I’m also curious if acquiring the BMW Ultimate Care is worth it in your guys viewpoint
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 06:22 AM   #3
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfk101 View Post
Dear all

For everyones reference - I ordered the X7 on Dec 3rd 2012. And Its been waiting for me to pick up at the dealer since Jan 14th (I've been traveling).

According to codes from MY Garage and the CA - I experienced no deletes on the car.

I Will purchase (great financing rate via PENFED ....no discount though...) no lease

Wanted to ask this experienced crew if you suggest I buy any additional maintenance as I was reading you all saying that the breaks needed to get replaced during a usual 3 year ownership lifetime of the X7. I will have the M Brakes (blue) on my 21 inch Bi-spoke Y wheels

Is there anything else I should bear in mind or options I should or should not get when picking up the car at the dealership on the east coast.

Would love to read if anyone has any experiences to share for doing this of late, stories or pitfalls to avoid.

If I sell my old car the next day after buying this one - can I still use my old plate?

Thanks again
You don't need to buy the extended warranty out of the gate, just need to do it before the original warranty expires. If you do however get too high in mileage the cost goes up (read it's around 20k) as well as if bmw were to increase prices due to the natural course of business. Only upside to doing it upfront is you can finance it.

That said, many wait and see if it's a keeper then make a call later. If you search Bimmerpost as a whole you can find dealers offering to sell you the warranties very close to cost. Do some digging, but you can get some pretty decent deals I've found extending up to 84 months/75k miles for like 5ish k which may provide peace of mind worth it to some.

I personally would hold to ensure you are loving the car first before considering, but that's just my opinion. If you do decide to move ahead, my advice is to quickly do some research today/tomorrow, figure out what the warranty costs elsewhere and in turn strong arm your dealer into matching it; many will do to get the credit even though little to no margin in this case.

Good luck and congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 06:26 AM   #4
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando X View Post
Quote:
Dear all

Thanks again
You don't need to buy the extended warranty out of the gate, just need to do it before the original warranty expires. If you do however get too high in mileage the cost goes up (read it's around 20k) as well as if bmw were to increase prices due to the natural course of business. Only upside to doing it upfront is you can finance it.

That said, many wait and see if it's a keeper then make a call later. If you search Bimmerpost as a whole you can find dealers offering to sell you the warranties very close to cost. Do some digging, but you can get some pretty decent deals I've found extending up to 84 months/75k miles for like 5ish k which may provide peace of mind worth it to some.

I personally would hold to ensure you are loving the car first before considering, but that's just my opinion. If you do decide to move ahead, my advice is to quickly do some research today/tomorrow, figure out what the warranty costs elsewhere and in turn strong arm your dealer into matching it; many will do to get the credit even though little to no margin in this case.

Good luck and congrats!
Just realized you were asking on maintenance, not warranty. I think it's a similar deal with that but may be wrong. I have read the m brakes can be costly so one replacement of these washes out the 1-2 year extension cost some many feel.

Do some digging around though to see if you need to buy it out of gate as I'm unsure you do, lots of info on other Bimmerpost forums for other bmws on this and extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 07:02 AM   #5
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Subscribing to this. I’m also curious if acquiring the BMW Ultimate Care is worth it in your guys viewpoint
Yes, I always buy it. You can get it at a discounted rate too.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 07:39 AM   #6
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Quote:
Dear all

Thanks again
Congratulations on the new ride!!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 08:33 AM   #7
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

I purchased the lowest level ($700) Ultimate Care Plus that covers brakes and other hard wearing items during the first 3 years or 36K miles.

I know in these heavy ass vehicles I'll be replacing the brakes during that time. I have the larger M-style (Brembo) Alpina brakes. Figured it would save me at least a few hundred bucks vs what the dealer would charge for pads/rotors fluid flush.