forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum stick ride height setting

04-24-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
real q
Rep
Drives: BMW

stick ride height setting

I thought that I have read somewhere that X7 returns to the default (mid-level) ride height after the vehicle is restarted. Today I tried comfort mode with lower ride height, and to my surprise that the height setting remains in the lower level after I restarted the vehicle several times. I am quite happy with the way it is as I like the ride in this setting more, but wondering if it is true that the ride height is supposed to return to the normal level.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Normal. Mine does the same. I always have my X7 slammed down when parked.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #3
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by real q View Post
I thought that I have read somewhere that X7 returns to the default (mid-level) ride height after the vehicle is restarted.
No, it should retain the ride-height level when you turned off your vehicle and retain that ride-height level until drive-off. The X7 air suspension will only adjust according to the selected drive mode at drive-off.

Quote:
Today I tried comfort mode with lower ride height, and to my surprise that the height setting remains in the lower level after I restarted the vehicle several times.
Ja, that is the correct behavior. Mine retains the ride-height level, primarily LOAD level, when I turn off and restart my X5.

Quote:
I am quite happy with the way it is as I like the ride in this setting more, but wondering if it is true that the ride height is supposed to return to the normal level.
What owners forget or don't RTFM is that air suspension level adjustment takes place when all doors are closed. If another passenger opens the door during the adjustment process, the level adjustment cancels. This is where owners might conflate the cancel as that their air suspension returned to Normal level when they return or restart their vehicle the next day.

There's also an unusual air suspension behavior when last drive mode is coded. It'll retain the level set when you turned off and then raise when unlocking.

Also when your vehicle has been parked for long periods, the vehicle can lower itself and this isn't a malfunction. When the drive-ready state is switched on with the doors closed, the vehicle is raised to the Normal level automatically.

Last edited by Auricom; 04-24-2021 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:39 PM   #4
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Mine stays in the lower #2 height after shutdown and startup. I drive around town in comfort with it lower. On long trips or for rough roads I raise it to normal height.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
real q
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Mine stays in the lower #2 height after shutdown and startup. I drive around town in comfort with it lower. On long trips or for rough roads I raise it to normal height.
Good to get the confirmation that the vehicle should stay in the lower #2 height in comfort mode. That is going to be the default drive mode for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:53 AM   #6
beemerb0y
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I have a 2022 XB7. If i lower the ride height, and turn the car off, it will retain the lower ride height. However, if I open any door or trunk to grab something out of the car, it will raise back up and stay up
Is this normal? Would love for the ride height to just remain in the lower (not lowest) position
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #7
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

I just wish that putting the car into PARK would drop the height to as low as possible. Easier getting in and out...
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 10:50 PM   #8
beemerb0y
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
I just wish that putting the car into PARK would drop the height to as low as possible. Easier getting in and out...
I normally drive in comfort or comfort plus
If im parking, ill hit the height control switch twice so it goes into the 2nd to last lowest setting
After I park and turn off the car, and as soon as i begin opening doors, its raises back up. Very annoying
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 07:35 AM   #9
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerb0y View Post
Quote:
If im parking, ill hit the height control switch twice so it goes into the 2nd to last lowest setting
After I park and turn off the car, and as soon as i begin opening doors, its raises back up. Very annoying
Ok weird mine does not do that. It stays at whatever height I set it to before I open the doors to exit. It's not until I start the car again and select drive does it raise to the drive mode (Sport, Comfort etc.) standard height.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 08:04 AM   #10
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerb0y View Post
Quote:
Depending on the situation, I normally parked mine and slam it to the lowest setting and lock it in. Holding the level down switch for 7 seconds and release, it locks in that height and will not move. Upon departure, hood the button up for seconds to get back to normal. It's the safe mode for when the car is jacked up to change tires, oil, etc to prevent injury.
Appreciate 0