BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Deletion of Backup Assistant

10-27-2021, 12:54 AM   #1
pvktemp
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 m50i

Deletion of Backup Assistant

Hello,

We placed an order for a 2022 x7 m50i in late September. The vehicle is currently in production. I saw a recent update under standard features "Deletion of backup assistant". However, "parking assistant plus" is still present.

I do not see that in the dealer provided build sheet. Has anyone else seen this or know what this is?

Thank you,

PriyaVijai.

P.S Our 1st BMW. Prior cars: g35x and mdx.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
G39x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

You should have it on the m50i as it is standard and the backup assistant is inside the menu of the parking assistant, I would call BMW genius to be sure, but I am almost certain you have it.

It is similar to the rear automatic sunshade, it is listed as manual for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
pvktemp
Rep

Thank you G39x.

For others, dealer provided me an updated build sheet saying ZUY deletion of touchscreen as well. Explanation was part shortages. I am probably going to not take delivery at this point. I am no longer sure the car I ordered is the one I am going to get.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
G39x
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvktemp View Post
Thank you G39x.

For others, dealer provided me an updated build sheet saying ZUY deletion of touchscreen as well. Explanation was part shortages. I am probably going to not take delivery at this point. I am no longer sure the car I ordered is the one I am going to get.
Now that is a weird one .

What is the next step? No more digital screen? I understand, if I was in a similar position, I would cancel my order as well. I was mad that I didn't get DHP on mine because of shortages, but I lived on.

You could deny the car when it gets to the lot if it is not the same car you ordered, but why doesn't BMW just slow down and say you can get it a little later with the features once they get the parts in (if it is possible in a reasonable amount of time, rather than just say we don't have it and we are still going to send it. Once you decline the car, its now the dealers problem when they get it, and at this level of a car, they are not going to sell the car with less features unless for a loss lol.

Just so I know, which BMW dealer is it? Certainly call them and let them know your intentions as you have the full rights to deny the car if it is not the one you signed for.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by G39x View Post
Now that is a weird one .

What is the next step? No more digital screen? I understand, if I was in a similar position, I would cancel my order as well. I was mad that I didn't get DHP on mine because of shortages, but I lived on.

You could deny the car when it gets to the lot if it is not the same car you ordered, but why doesn't BMW just slow down and say you can get it a little later with the features once they get the parts in (if it is possible in a reasonable amount of time, rather than just say we don't have it and we are still going to send it. Once you decline the car, its now the dealers problem when they get it, and at this level of a car, they are not going to sell the car with less features unless for a loss lol.

Just so I know, which BMW dealer is it? Certainly call them and let them know your intentions as you have the full rights to deny the car if it is not the one you signed for.
Dealers have no problem selling cars with any equipment level right now.
Even the base $75k with no options are selling like hot cakes. I've contacted several dealers within 2 hour drive and nobody can keep X7's in stock regardless of how well or poorly equipped.

I know several people trying to buy them but can't find any.
Appreciate 2
Parmus35.00
barcelona271.00
      10-27-2021, 03:09 PM   #6
G39x
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Dealers have no problem selling cars with any equipment level right now.
Even the base $75k with no options are selling like hot cakes. I've contacted several dealers within 2 hour drive and nobody can keep X7's in stock regardless of how well or poorly equipped.

I know several people trying to buy them but can't find any.
I mean, based on OP's build, I don't think people would be as interested in a less than base build. I guess you could make a case for people who really just want the badge and wouldn't care less if it had any features.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 03:17 PM   #7
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G39x View Post
I mean, based on OP's build, I don't think people would be as interested in a less than base build. I guess you could make a case for people who really just want the badge and wouldn't care less if it had any features.
People here probably won't be interested. But there are lots of folks out there that are just trying to get into the lowest lease payments and couldn't care less how the car is equipped.

Even during normal times, I see many base X7/GLS with no options on dealer lots that they have no problem leasing out to individuals.
Lots of folks out there that just want to get the brand. They don't care about equipment, they just care about the monthly lease payment $ figure. Their line of thought is if I can get into a BMW for $300 a month or a Honda for $300 a month, I'm going to go for the BMW even though it has less equipment and is smaller.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 06:35 PM   #8
Olekiller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 bmw 750 li , 2019 bmw x7 4o

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
People here probably won't be interested. But there are lots of folks out there that are just trying to get into the lowest lease payments and couldn't care less how the car is equipped.

Even during normal times, I see many base X7/GLS with no options on dealer lots that they have no problem leasing out to individuals.
Lots of folks out there that just want to get the brand. They don't care about equipment, they just care about the monthly lease payment $ figure. Their line of thought is if I can get into a BMW for $300 a month or a Honda for $300 a month, I'm going to go for the BMW even though it has less equipment and is smaller.
People like that ruin the market. I wish base models never existed. Like I don't even consider a bmw without the m package a bmw. But that's just me lol
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Hello,

We placed an order for a 2022 x7 m50i in late September. The vehicle is currently in production. I saw a recent update under standard features "Deletion of backup assistant". However, "parking assistant plus" is still present.

I do not see that in the dealer provided build sheet. Has anyone else seen this or know what this is?

Thank you,

PriyaVijai.

P.S Our 1st BMW. Prior cars: g35x and mdx.
I had a g37x and loved it. Best car ever, hands down. Dollar for dollar, it didn't get any better.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #10
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

I used my backup assistant several times this past weekend and it was absolutely clutch.

If that vehicle shows up without touchscreen and backup assistant, refuse it. That's lunacy
      10-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #11
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just curious how people drove (or backed up) before backup assistant was a thing. I've had my car for nearly 17 months now and never used backup assistance once. And I have a very tricky driveway/garage that I must back into daily.

It sucks that they are removing that feature, but everyone should know how to drive or back up a car without some computer doing the driving.

Sometimes I wonder if we the human race are getting too lazy to learn and do things ourselves and relying too much on machines/technology to do things for us. If this keeps up, in a few generations, will they even know how to walk or breath without assistance from a machine/computer?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12963.50
      10-28-2021, 04:48 PM   #12
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

possible != desirable in a 100k short bus.

also, it's a 100k short bus.

it's fat. like orca fat. you ever try backing a killer whale down an alley?

ffs, one whiff of seal and it goes to hell
      10-29-2021, 12:25 AM   #13
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Cross-posting as this is a big deal IMO:

This is in the X5 threads too, but just for clarity, the touchscreen delete also deletes backup assist ... From a dealer:
Over the course of the last several months, we have managed to maintain the majority of our planned production in spite of limits to certain option content. As we move further into Q4, some of these limitations have increased in scope. In an effort to maintain production levels through the end of the year, we have decided to remove the touch functionality from the Central Information Display in several vehicles starting production this week.

Impacted models:
G20 3 Series
G22/G23 4 Series Coupe and Convertible
G26 4 Series Gran Coupe (excluding i4)
G29 Z4
G05/G06/G07 (all variants)
These vehicles will have the Option Code 6UY “Deletion of Touchscreen” on the Monroney and an option credit of $500 will be applied to all vehicles produced without touch functionality.

This adjustment impacts all planned production for vehicles listed above, and as a result, we are unable to prioritize variants or P1 customer sold orders. We understand this change will require dialogue with customers awaiting delivery and additional action at the Client Advisor level.

Dealers will also be required to have customers sign a form confirming acknowledgement of the change.

With the inclusion of Option Code 6UY:
Touch functionality will not be present in the aforementioned vehicles
Other functionalities of the infotainment system (including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto) remain unaffected and can be used via the iDrive Controller and/or voice control
Additionally, vehicles with Parking Assistant Package (5DN/ZPK) will lose Backup Assistant when coupled with 6UY
These vehicles will have Option Code ZUY included in the build and Monroney labels to indicate “Deletion of Backup Assistant”

Vehicles with Option Code 6UY are expected to begin shipping this week from Plant Spartanburg, with overseas production to follow next week. All vehicles produced with this option will require a software update prior to retail and customer delivery as they will be shipped and wholesaled with a Retail Stop Sale. The software update will be available as of November 11.

With the software update forthcoming, we felt it was best to deliver the vehicles as they are built to expedite the resolution process. We acknowledge this is a different approach and thank you for your flexibility, continued cooperation and commitment to BMW.

Thank you.

~Jon S.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 02:50 AM   #14
pvktemp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I had a g37x and loved it. Best car ever, hands down. Dollar for dollar, it didn't get any better.
Thank you! I love my g35x.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 02:55 AM   #15
pvktemp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Cross-posting as this is a big deal IMO:

This is in the X5 threads too, but just for clarity, the touchscreen delete also deletes backup assist ... From a dealer:
Over the course of the last several months, we have managed to maintain the majority of our planned production in spite of limits to certain option content. As we move further into Q4, some of these limitations have increased in scope. In an effort to maintain production levels through the end of the year, we have decided to remove the touch functionality from the Central Information Display in several vehicles starting production this week.

Impacted models:
G20 3 Series
G22/G23 4 Series Coupe and Convertible
G26 4 Series Gran Coupe (excluding i4)
G29 Z4
G05/G06/G07 (all variants)
These vehicles will have the Option Code 6UY “Deletion of Touchscreen” on the Monroney and an option credit of $500 will be applied to all vehicles produced without touch functionality.

This adjustment impacts all planned production for vehicles listed above, and as a result, we are unable to prioritize variants or P1 customer sold orders. We understand this change will require dialogue with customers awaiting delivery and additional action at the Client Advisor level.

Dealers will also be required to have customers sign a form confirming acknowledgement of the change.

With the inclusion of Option Code 6UY:
Touch functionality will not be present in the aforementioned vehicles
Other functionalities of the infotainment system (including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto) remain unaffected and can be used via the iDrive Controller and/or voice control
Additionally, vehicles with Parking Assistant Package (5DN/ZPK) will lose Backup Assistant when coupled with 6UY
These vehicles will have Option Code ZUY included in the build and Monroney labels to indicate “Deletion of Backup Assistant”

Vehicles with Option Code 6UY are expected to begin shipping this week from Plant Spartanburg, with overseas production to follow next week. All vehicles produced with this option will require a software update prior to retail and customer delivery as they will be shipped and wholesaled with a Retail Stop Sale. The software update will be available as of November 11.

With the software update forthcoming, we felt it was best to deliver the vehicles as they are built to expedite the resolution process. We acknowledge this is a different approach and thank you for your flexibility, continued cooperation and commitment to BMW.

Thank you.

~Jon S.
Wow. Quick update, the deletion of touch screen is no longer in the online build although the dealer sent me a build sheet that indicates it. We will see what happens. Backup assistant is still deleted.

So far haven't signed anything. The vehicle is for my wife and she has already decided no-go on it if it has no touch screen. She doesn't care about backup assistant but she will ... The point of point a 110k$ vehicle for my wife is the bells and whistles and the drive etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 07:18 AM   #16
Walrusmode
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Wow. Quick update, the deletion of touch screen is no longer in the online build although the dealer sent me a build sheet that indicates it. We will see what happens. Backup assistant is still deleted.

So far haven't signed anything. The vehicle is for my wife and she has already decided no-go on it if it has no touch screen. She doesn't care about backup assistant but she will ... The point of point a 110k$ vehicle for my wife is the bells and whistles and the drive etc.
Any update here? Also have a 2022 X5 45e that’s finished production and in transit to dealer.

I have the Parking Assistant Plus but MyBMW shows only “Deletion of Back Up Assistant”

Does this mean touchscreen is also deleted?

Will def be cancelling order if so.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #17
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrusmode View Post
Any update here? Also have a 2022 X5 45e that’s finished production and in transit to dealer.

I have the Parking Assistant Plus but MyBMW shows only “Deletion of Back Up Assistant”

Yes, touchscreen is deleted. These two deletions go hand-in-hand
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #18
Walrusmode
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
Quote:
Any update here? Also have a 2022 X5 45e that's finished production and in transit to dealer.

I have the Parking Assistant Plus but MyBMW shows only "Deletion of Back Up Assistant"

Yah just looked up VIN, seems like this is true. Bummer. Back up assistant I could have lived without, touchscreen not sure.

May have to use this forum as a support group :

What is everyone's experience here using voice vs rotary vs touch?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:32 AM   #19
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Don't take the vehicle…less than par.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 12:22 PM   #20
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

I only use the touch screen to put it in car wash mode…otherwise I prefer the dial. Never use voice.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #21
Bigjoe17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 m50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
Quote:
Any update here? Also have a 2022 X5 45e that's finished production and in transit to dealer.

I have the Parking Assistant Plus but MyBMW shows only "Deletion of Back Up Assistant"

Yah just looked up VIN, seems like this is true. Bummer. Back up assistant I could have lived without, touchscreen not sure.

May have to use this forum as a support group :

What is everyone's experience here using voice vs rotary vs touch?
I use the touchscreen daily to navigate the Spotify app in CarPlay. I think I could use the app fine using the rotary dial if I had to.

The parking assistant is probably the biggest Wow factor feature and I would hate to lose it.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 03:27 PM   #22
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

Can’t say I’ve ever used parking assist. I would be cool to have a poll of what features people use instead of having to count posts. ;-)
Appreciate 0