BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Deletion of Backup Assistant

11-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #23
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradythedog12 View Post
Can’t say I’ve ever used parking assist. I would be cool to have a poll of what features people use instead of having to count posts. ;-)
I think backup assistant is the only thing that is deleted. It’s the thing that will back up the car over the last 160 ft it drove. Helpful for people with long driveways they need to back out of.

I believe parking assist (the self parking) is still available. Curious how you choose a spot without the touchscreen though, since you typically tap on the spot that the system finds.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #24
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich5741 View Post
I think backup assistant is the only thing that is deleted. It’s the thing that will back up the car over the last 160 ft it drove. Helpful for people with long driveways they need to back out of.

I believe parking assist (the self parking) is still available. Curious how you choose a spot without the touchscreen though, since you typically tap on the spot that the system finds.
I don't think it's accurate enough for long drive ways. I tested it after all the talk on here about it being deleted (I haven't used it in 16 months of ownership). Anyway tested it twice on a long driveway (almost 200 ft), It starts out pretty good, but by the time it gets to about 100 ft into it, it veers off the original path by about 1-2ft to the left or right. While 1-2 ft may be good enough for some folks, on the narrow driveway I tested it on, it means hitting a tree on either side.

So that was the first and last time I will use that "feature".
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 08:14 AM   #25
pana511
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification, I was never going to use backup assistant anyway, and if I did it would be one of those things to prove that it works so who cares. Glad the parking assistant is still there (it will help my wife manage to park this beast without curbing the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #26
Colliwobbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Just curious how people drove (or backed up) before backup assistant was a thing. I've had my car for nearly 17 months now and never used backup assistance once. And I have a very tricky driveway/garage that I must back into daily.

It sucks that they are removing that feature, but everyone should know how to drive or back up a car without some computer doing the driving.

Sometimes I wonder if we the human race are getting too lazy to learn and do things ourselves and relying too much on machines/technology to do things for us. If this keeps up, in a few generations, will they even know how to walk or breath without assistance from a machine/computer?
Lol, thats because it won’t do that. It does the reversing out by replicating what you did in drive forwards for the last 50 yards
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #27
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colliwobbles View Post
Lol, thats because it won’t do that. It does the reversing out by replicating what you did in drive forwards for the last 50 yards
I know what it does. I've tested it a # of times and for me, it's not accurate enough beyond the first 50 ft or so. It's not something I would ever use in a real life situation.
Appreciate 1
Patgilm180.50
      12-11-2021, 12:44 PM   #28
dminko
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Curious how you choose a spot without the touchscreen though, since you typically tap on the spot that the system finds.
Hey Guys! I'm a "lucky" owner of such a unique car that is fully loaded but touchscreen functionality and "backup assistant" have been deleted.

I've already tested this automatic parking assistant. In order to choose a parking spot, you have to use the iDrive knob (spin a wheel to highlight that spot and then do one click). It works well, although I fully agree that touching the screen would be even better
Appreciate 1
Mail4loys415.50
      01-12-2022, 03:25 PM   #29
pvktemp
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 m50i

Thank you everyone. We refused that build and reordered. Will post build sheet for that new order soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 05:09 AM   #30
greeneyedgirl_12
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: '19 X5 40i, '18 430 conv.

Seeing a new post in this made me read the whole thing like it was new. About had a heart attack.
Glad you refused, that's some BS.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 03:52 PM   #31
hechon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW '17 i3, '20 X740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olekiller View Post
People like that ruin the market. I wish base models never existed. Like I don't even consider a bmw without the m package a bmw. But that's just me lol
I myself usually get BMW with more options than not, but i have a friend with net worth a lot more than most of people including me and he always insists on getting the base model - he says he's buying the car for the "driving" - engine and things associated with moving the car (and stopping it safely). to say people like him are ruining the market seems to be a little too pretentious, particularly if you consider m package "essential". (i never get m package - in my X7, i do have 21" wheel and multi-contour seat (as part of lux seat package) but don't have and would never miss shadowline roof rails and m steering wheel.)

and i got mine with $12K off in 05/20.

-hchon
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2022, 07:30 PM   #32
dminko
Rep

Hey Guys, just FYI - I was able to retrofit a touchscreen functionality and backup assistant feature.
Of course, it took some time, money, effort, and my own nerve cells.

But the outcome is now I have everything I wanted and it works as expected
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 08:16 AM   #33
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminko View Post
Hey Guys, just FYI - I was able to retrofit a touchscreen functionality and backup assistant feature.
Of course, it took some time, money, effort, and my own nerve cells.

But the outcome is now I have everything I wanted and it works as expected
You've got some explaining to do. If it's so easy why isn't BMW doing it?
      01-23-2022, 11:54 AM   #34
dminko
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post
You've got some explaining to do. If it's so easy why isn't BMW doing it?
I think it's pretty obvious, in order to retrofit it you have to buy another display where the touchable functionality exists, then you have to install it, and finally, you need to do coding to let your head unit know that now you have a touchscreen.

The bottom line is it costs money and I guess BMW doesn't want to pay dealerships for this. Just FYI, I asked my local dealer about how much it will cost to just install a new display without coding and they said - $500. But when they knew that I'm talking about my 2022 x7 they rejected my request very politely because I bought my new display from another seller, not from them (which was not possible at that moment).

With that said above, I can simply calculate that the total cost for retrofitting will be like that:
~$500 - a new display (the cheapest price I heard).
~$500 - installation labor
~$75 - coding

Total: ~$1,075.
Appreciate 0