BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Total loss on X7 Lease and difference between Cash Value and Pay off

01-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #1
midavi68
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x7

Question Total loss on X7 Lease and difference between Cash Value and Pay off

My insurance company has deemed my leased 2019 X7 as a total loss from an accident. The payoff on the vehicle is $54K. Actual Cash Value (ACV) is $84K. I was told by a couple of different people (unrelated to BMW) that typically insurance pays the leasing company and I get paid the difference between ACV and pay off which is $30K.

I spoke to BMW Financial Services this morning and they indicated that they keep the entire amount, so they would be profiting from the accident and I would not receive the overpayment to put it towards a new car. When I said I am willing to pay the payoff amount to purchase the car, they said it can't be done now that insurance contacted them about it being a total loss. Seems quite unfair.

Does anyone have experience with this and can provide guidance on how to resolve it?

Thanks...
Appreciate 1
cncmastr1585.50
      01-19-2022, 05:51 PM   #2
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
My 2018 M3 was totaled. It was valued above the payoff amount. Insurance paid the payoff amount and I received the difference.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:25 PM   #3
midavi68
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
My 2018 M3 was totaled. It was valued above the payoff amount. Insurance paid the payoff amount and I received the difference.
Was yours a lease?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:30 PM   #4
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 40i - Tanzanite/Coffee

For $30k I would hire an attorney to review your lease document and write a letter to BMWFS.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:33 PM   #5
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

If that's BMW Financial's POV, I would get a lawyer.

I'd LOVE to know what would legally entitle them to pocket in more money than what you would pay to obtain full ownership of the vehicle.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:20 PM   #6
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Leasing does not equal ownership. BMWFS owns the vehicle as of the date of the accident, which you have insured and are renting from BMWFS. The contract, per your state law, should be clear if any of your lease down payment amounts are refundable in this unfortunate situation, but it is unlikely you will realize an insurance gain of $30K on an asset you do not own at the time of the incident.
Appreciate 1
ledphut206.50
      01-19-2022, 07:26 PM   #7
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Until you have purchased the vehicle via a buy out, the vehicle remains under BMW. That's the way I understand it. However, it'd review if an insurance claim prevents you from executing your lease buy it out option. You are still paying for the lease I'm assuming? So the lease contract should be active.

I call BS on BMW and I'd encourage you to spend a few hours on a good attorney to review this for you.

I have sued BMW before and won.

If your lease payoff is $30K, you either pay a huge down payment or your lease had a brutal residual?
      01-19-2022, 07:27 PM   #8
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
I’d go on bmw financial and pay the thing off lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:31 PM   #9
midavi68
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Until you have purchased the vehicle via a buy out, the vehicle remains under BMW. That's the way I understand it.

But, I'd encourage you to spend a few hours on a gold attorney to review this for you.

If your lease payoff is $30K, you either pay a huge down payment or your least what's a brutal residual. How is your payoff so low?
My lease payoff is $54k. That's what I would owe BMW if I wanted to buy the car right now. The insurance estimated the value of the vehicle to be $84K and that's what they are paying for a replacement.

I need to replace the car with a new one and it seems to me that as long as I pay what I owe to BMW the balance of $30k can be used for a new X7 rather than BMW profiting from an accident.
Appreciate 1
Penguino1603.50
      01-19-2022, 07:43 PM   #10
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midavi68 View Post
Quote:
Until you have purchased the vehicle via a buy out, the vehicle remains under BMW. That's the way I understand it.

But, I'd encourage you to spend a few hours on a gold attorney to review this for you.

If your lease payoff is $30K, you either pay a huge down payment or your least what's a brutal residual. How is your payoff so low?
My lease payoff is $54k. That's what I would owe BMW if I wanted to buy the car right now. The insurance estimated the value of the vehicle to be $84K and that's what they are paying for a replacement.

I need to replace the car with a new one and it seems to me that as long as I pay what I owe to BMW the balance of $30k can be used for a new X7 rather than BMW profiting from an accident.
Have the insurance send the check to you. It's an option. And you can do as you wish.

You should start the vehicle buy out process with BMW. They should not be refusing a purchase just because the vehicle was involved in an accident.
      01-19-2022, 07:44 PM   #11
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Unfortunately I believe this is how BMW finance operates (I have read of similar cases). As soon as the total loss is reported, the lease contract is terminated from their end. So there is no "buyout value" any more. They own the car, and take the proceeds of the insurance payout. Your obligations are to pay any missing amounts from the lease termination (normally leases are upside down, so gap insurance will cover it but in this used car market it is totally the opposite). If you made a down-payment on the lease, they will offer to return a prorated amount. But they will not agree to return the "equity". If you can get around this it will be great but I suspect they have a scenario covered in their lease agreement. Try logging into your account to see if you have a buyout amount any more. If they terminated the lease it is gone. Makes me wonder if I should by out my lease now because I also have a positive equity in my leased vehicle.
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00
      01-19-2022, 07:56 PM   #12
midavi68
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have the insurance send the check to you. It's an option. And you can do as you wish.

You should start the vehicle buy out process with BMW. They should not be refusing a purchase just because the vehicle was involved in an accident.
I spoke to the insurance company and they have to pay out to the 'owner' of the vehicle which in this case is BMW FS. I asked if they can just pay the pay off amount and the rest to me, they said no because of the BMW FS contract.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:59 PM   #13
midavi68
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
Unfortunately I believe this is how BMW finance operates (I have read of similar cases). As soon as the total loss is reported, the lease contract is terminated from their end. So there is no "buyout value" any more. They own the car, and take the proceeds of the insurance payout. Your obligations are to pay any missing amounts from the lease termination (normally leases are upside down, so gap insurance will cover it but in this used car market it is totally the opposite). If you made a down-payment on the lease, they will offer to return a prorated amount. But they will not agree to return the "equity". If you can get around this it will be great but I suspect they have a scenario covered in their lease agreement. Try logging into your account to see if you have a buyout amount any more. If they terminated the lease it is gone. Makes me wonder if I should by out my lease now because I also have a positive equity in my leased vehicle.
I believe you're right. It's what they indicated. Once it is reported by insurance the car cannot be bought out. I don't know if that's for liability purposes or ??

Still doesn't make sense that they would want to profit from the situation rather than provide the difference to buy a new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:15 PM   #14
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
I believe you're right. It's what they indicated. Once it is reported by insurance the car cannot be bought out. I don't know if that's for liability purposes or ??

Still doesn't make sense that they would want to profit from the situation rather than provide the difference to buy a new car.
Attorney.
      01-19-2022, 08:39 PM   #15
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

The insurance company will only pay out the title holder. In a lease, that's the financing company. You have no chance of getting paid unless you can clear title.
You should review lease agreement to see if there is anything in there that covers this situation to allow or prohibit you from buying out. You'll need to work this out with bmw financial and get your title cleared which could take a couple of weeks. Not sure if that works timing wise for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:58 PM   #16
midavi68
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockguru View Post
The insurance company will only pay out the title holder. In a lease, that's the financing company. You have no chance of getting paid unless you can clear title.
You should review lease agreement to see if there is anything in there that covers this situation to allow or prohibit you from buying out. You'll need to work this out with bmw financial and get your title cleared which could take a couple of weeks. Not sure if that works timing wise for you.
When I called them they said that once the car is reported as a total loss by insurance then a buyout is off the table. Still doesn't make sense as to why they would want to keep more than what they are owed.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 01:43 AM   #17
Kivilig
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

That sucks,
A bit off topic, but I am curious how bad the accident was that they deemed the car total
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 04:58 AM   #18
CarMan77
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2021 Porsche Cay

Garage List
This is disappointing. My parents had a leased Volvo totaled and Volvo was paid off and my parents received the difference.I guess this is why they say do not put any money down on a lease
Appreciate 2
Al Pinã1839.50
Boogie21211134.00
      01-20-2022, 08:07 AM   #19
midavi68
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivilig View Post
That sucks,
A bit off topic, but I am curious how bad the accident was that they deemed the car total
Total repair costs were over 65% of the car's value.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:40 AM   #20
davecraze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 & 2022 X5

Quote:
Total repair costs were over 65% of the car's value.
Jeez - a 50k+ repair? Wow - I hope the passengers were ok and not injured. If they weren't, that seems to say a lot for the safety of the vehicle even in a horrific crash.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 09:11 AM   #21
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecraze View Post
Jeez - a 50k+ repair? Wow - I hope the passengers were ok and not injured. If they weren't, that seems to say a lot for the safety of the vehicle even in a horrific crash.
If you add the value of each individual part of a car purchased separately, it’s three if not five times more than the sticker value of the car.

Combine that with labor and a $50K+ repair on a luxury vehicle with Gucci electronics and safety features everywhere…you begin to see how $50K isn’t all that much.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 09:47 AM   #22
640ibimmerguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Ok so what if the car were only worth 30k and the lease payoff were $50k, would BMW eat that? I don't think so. Also, if you were to have traded the car in, you would've been able to keep the difference, that's not BMW's money. I'd hire an attorney.
Appreciate 0