BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 ALPINA XB7 Facelift and BMW X7 Facelift Prototype Spied Testing In Munich

01-21-2022, 12:30 PM   #23
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

I think the current X7 has the perfect blend of touch sensitive surfaces and physical buttons. Let's hope they don't go full retard like Tesla and newer Merc where you have to go into sub menus to adjust the direction of the air vents.
      01-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #24
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
I don't quite understand the logic of the single wide screen. It's always going to be broken up by the steering wheel anyway and a blank area is going to be there anyway. My question is iDrive 8 going to come to current X7 models?
iDrive 8 is not coming to existing X7 models. BMW ID will be replacing ConnectedDrive and changes for the Driving Experience Control/modes (COMFORT, SPORT etc) that allows for more personalization necessitating hardware upgrades to drive iDrive8.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 02:26 PM   #25
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 335is View Post
If it looks anything like the i4 interior, it's going to be awesome!

I love this look:
It looks nice, but you lose the shortcut buttons. I use those a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 07:01 PM   #26
TexasJester
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
The spy video of the 2023 ALPINA XB7 Facelift and BMW X7 Facelift Prototype in Munich.

If it runs and drives as good as either of my 2021’s I don’t care what it looks like.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:10 PM   #27
Harry2007
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Does anyone know when these will be available in the U.S? I was going to order an X7, but maybe I should wait closer to before these are available for a deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:18 PM   #28
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2007 View Post
Does anyone know when these will be available in the U.S? I was going to order an X7, but maybe I should wait closer to before these are available for a deal.
I was thinking the same thing, but according to my SA you won't be able to order the 23's until at least July so it depends on how long you can wait. That would also depend on allocations which are really tight.
      01-25-2022, 10:43 PM   #29
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, but according to my SA you won't be able to order the 23's until at least July so it depends on how long you can wait. That would also depend on allocations which are really tight.
Our inside info says 8/22 prod start so around July is when ordering should open

Hopefully allocations are more plentiful as the chip shortage subsides

375hp for the 40i and fingers crossed for an order guide with no deletes
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:25 PM   #30
Harry2007
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

The whole X7 refresh/redesign makes ordering one now seem like a bad idea. I’d hate to drop this much on a car that would look outdated in a couple of months.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:31 PM   #31
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The whole X7 refresh/redesign makes ordering one now seem like a bad idea. I’d hate to drop this much on a car that would look outdated in a couple of months.

There will always be another update, you need to decide if you like the look of the car now or want the newest.

I am not sold on the split headlights, I will need to see it in person, either way we love the look of the current X7 no matter whether the LCI looks good or not.
      01-25-2022, 11:57 PM   #32
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The whole X7 refresh/redesign makes ordering one now seem like a bad idea. I'd hate to drop this much on a car that would look outdated in a couple of months.

Not quite the same with BMW. The F15 (2014-2018) X5s don't look dated in my opinion. Same for the 4-Series of that vintage etc.

Now if we're talking American econobox, then yeah, 8 years is a long time…
Attached Images

01-25-2022, 11:58 PM   #33
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
I personally prefer my pre-LCI F90 to the LCI version. However, I did take the two things I liked from the LCI and retrofitted them to mine (tail lights and the nav screen).

Just because something is “outdated” doesn’t mean it doesn’t look damn cool. Take the slant nose 911 as a perfect example (or an E39 M5).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 08:51 AM   #34
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post
Not quite the same with BMW. The F15 (2014-2018) X5s don't look dated in my opinion. Same for the 4-Series of that vintage etc.

Now if we're talking American econobox, then yeah, 8 years is a long time…
I agree we have an F15 and next to the G05 it definitely looks different but it doesn't really look dated. The fact that we ordered it with LED headlights and it already had LED tails stock helps a lot.

In certain cars the LCI makes a world of difference because it fixes the mistakes of the original design, like when the E65 LCI fixed the horrible headlights.

This is just my opinion the current X7 has no glaring exterior design flaws that make me say if they just would have tweaked this.

The interior may be a different story, looking forward to seeing the new one, but I dont think the old one has any major issues for me either (accept with captains chairs would fold flat lol).
      01-26-2022, 10:05 AM   #35
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Adding a perspective here, feel there is a higher likelihood of a decent price bump on new model vs. willingness to lower price of the out-going model this year. They don't need to lower prices based on demand and with what is going on economically, higher prices are probably in the cards imho.

As someone who in the end decided to pull the trigger on a 22, for me there is too much uncertainty / potential delays for a re-design (inside and out) I'm unsure I'm even going to like. Like someone else said, cars are always being redesigned. Projecting ahead, I could see it easily take until December to get one even if you are lucky enough to get an early 23 allocation. I read daily the supply issues as it relates to the automotive industry specifically actually hasn't improved much, couple that with higher interest rates and upfront cost, it's a tough call. Obviously personal preference on where your comfort lies/timeline.

Just something to think about. I may eat my words if the lci looks beyond amazing but I do know I love the current look, so doubt I'm going to regret.
Appreciate 2
Al Pinã1839.50
Staszek786.00
      01-26-2022, 12:02 PM   #36
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

anyones guess how long it will take for one to be unmasked? What is the usual LCI timeline for the look to be released in the year it is to be sold?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 12:42 PM   #37
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando X View Post
Adding a perspective here, feel there is a higher likelihood of a decent price bump on new model vs. willingness to lower price of the out-going model this year. They don't need to lower prices based on demand and with what is going on economically, higher prices are probably in the cards imho.

As someone who in the end decided to pull the trigger on a 22, for me there is too much uncertainty / potential delays for a re-design (inside and out) I'm unsure I'm even going to like. Like someone else said, cars are always being redesigned. Projecting ahead, I could see it easily take until December to get one even if you are lucky enough to get an early 23 allocation. I read daily the supply issues as it relates to the automotive industry specifically actually hasn't improved much, couple that with higher interest rates and upfront cost, it's a tough call. Obviously personal preference on where your comfort lies/timeline.

Just something to think about. I may eat my words if the lci looks beyond amazing but I do know I love the current look, so doubt I'm going to regret.
I agree, its not a black and white, right or wrong decision its all about what specific features or options are possibly coming and the biggest priority of each persons situation. Its not like its going to be an all new X7. Thankfully being followers of this site we have access to regular spy shots and some very accurate inside information in the "future BMW model information" thread stickied in the general section to make the choice a bit more informed

MY personal thoughts on why I am prioritizing waiting for LCI
-375hp 40i engine
-idrive 8, bigger screens, continuous performance improvements, AND I am hoping that, like on the iX, digital key 2.0 ultrawideband comes packaged with idrive 8 (this allows your phone to act exactly like the key fob)
-chip shortage resolution, return of HK and other at risk options
-price normalization, even if base price creeps up with supply chain fluidity mostly restored meaningful discounts vs MSRP should return

Risks
-new front end: less for me, more for my wife, she prefers the Jeep Grand Cherokee L, (dimensions are basically the same and summit reserve options list is basically the same as a loaded x7, plus the fam cam [bmw needs to jump on this idea]. And $20k in your pocket like vs like at MSRP) if the design is off the wall it will be a tough sell
-pricing does not normalize
-options remain at risk
-idrive 8 climate control implementation is subpar with no simple ways to make basic adjustments
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #38
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
anyones guess how long it will take for one to be unmasked? What is the usual LCI timeline for the look to be released in the year it is to be sold?
Most likely sometime in late May/early June, using the recent 5-series LCI reveal as an example.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 03:16 PM   #39
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
And as far as split headlights go, the renders already look amazing, and the final version always looks better. Can't wait!
I'm hoping/thinking the final version is closer to the idea of the XM Concept, where with the DRLs on, you don't even know the lower headlights actually exist. I think that's the general idea behind the design, but we also get the added practicality of them being lower to the road. All the renders I have seen still have them fairly prominent.

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 01-26-2022 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: added image
Appreciate 1
Lando X38.50
      01-26-2022, 03:29 PM   #40
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I'm hoping/thinking the final version is closer to the idea of the XM Concept, where with the DRLs on, you don't even know the lower headlights actually exist. I think that's the general idea behind the design, but we also get the added practicality of them being lower to the road. All the renders I have seen still have them fairly prominent.

My understanding is that the production XM will not have the tinted covers on the headlights due to regulations.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 03:48 PM   #41
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
And as far as split headlights go, the renders already look amazing, and the final version always looks better. Can't wait!

If they can get it relatively close to this I think it'll be ok, but the tint would be better.

The alternative is concerning 😬
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 04:01 PM   #42
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Quote:

[img]https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1638234198[/img]
My understanding is that the production XM will not have the tinted covers on the headlights due to regulations.
The stated goal of the design element in the xm press materials is for the headlights to blend in and the drls to take the design focus. BMW is also making this split a design element to differentiate its high end models (xm, 7, x7) so I have to think they put some effort into ensuring it will achieve the desired effect in the real world

Covers can be tinted (see the g8x shadow line lights). how dark they can be I am not sure, obviously on the g8x the drls are in the housing and the housing is exposed to direct light so I do not know where that tint level fits on the scale of clear to illegally dark

So while I doubt in production the covers will be as tinted as the concept, my expectation based on the xm is that without drls in the housing, without the fancy design elements like blue laser bands and the overdone reflector crystals, and tucked under the bumper design element, the final product will likely achieve the concepts effect for any layperson passing glance in the real world. I also expect Bimmerpost commenters with high res photos will be a much different story……

We are much more likely to see the production 7 series before the production xm and that will give a good idea of what to expect with the x7
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 04:14 PM   #43
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando X View Post
If they can get it relatively close to this I think it'll be ok, but the tint would be better.

The alternative is concerning 😬
They should bring back automated light covers
      01-26-2022, 07:09 PM   #44
classj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi E90, X3 M40i, M2CS,X7M50

I have been hoping that the LCI photos will be released with enough time so I can decide whether I want a 22 or the LCI.

Problem is, I doubt that will happen. I am sure 2022 allocations will be dry by the time the car launches. The front end has me concerned.

There are some things about the current model I don’t care for though. Toss up.
Appreciate 0