forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Chipped windshield X7

06-06-2023, 06:28 PM   #1
highbim
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Chipped windshield X7

End of a strange day today with a chip in the windshield of my X7.
I was at the dealership for service and I picked it up. On my way home, I just heard a sound and I saw something chipping my windshield. Strangely there was no vehicle ahead of me except a big truck which was really far, >100 meters, I would say. It is about a quarter in size exactly in the center of the windshield. I am not sure how that would have happened. I am moving out and going to be driving 800 miles + after 1 week. I will call dealer and insurance tomorrow, but I also need help from this group.

1. How long does it take to get the windshield repair/replacement done? Can it be completed in the next week? or if ordering the parts takes time? I have HUD, driver assistance pkg etc.

2. Is it safe to drive with this over 800+ miles? Because if my local dealer can't fix it in 1 week then I will be in trouble. I never had any experience with chipped windshields before.

I will appreciate any help from this group to calm me down at this time.

Thanks.

Name:  20230606_191406.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  148.4 KB

Name:  20230606_191430.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  193.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 07:45 PM   #2
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
That is really strange since there was essentially no one in front of you. The only thing I can see as a possibility is someone throwing something from the side of the road or a vehicle kicking up something while traveling in the opposite direction.

I believe most if not all insurance replaces damaged windshields at no charge to the policyholder. I am no expert on insurance so perhaps someone on the forum can confirm that.

I am really sorry to hear of your plight and wish you the best in getting a speedy repair.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:19 PM   #3
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

I had something similar happen last Saturday morning, 4am in a very rural stretch of highway 101. There were no cars around, I heard a pop, didn't notice anything (it was dark) but by the time I got to my destination a couple hours later, I noticed the chip in the windshield.
Called around and a local auto glass shop was able to get me in that morning for a patch. Total cost $70 and 20 minutes.
Emailed my insurance agent on Monday and sent her a copy of the receipt. She says it's 100% covered and I should get a check in 6-8 weeks.

Here in CA glass coverage is optional. I got the coverage on my policy so glass repair is free, glass replacement has a $100 deductible but often the insurance will waive it.

The shop that did my repair said if I needed to replace the windshield, it would be $2500-$3000 for OEM glass, and that price include calibration of the safety systems. It would take several weeks for them to get the glass though. Luckily I caught it early and they were able to patch it so the damage shouldn't spread.

Can't even see it after they patched it unless you get up really close and really look for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:36 PM   #4
highbim
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
I had something similar happen last Saturday morning, 4am in a very rural stretch of highway 101. There were no cars around, I heard a pop, didn't notice anything (it was dark) but by the time I got to my destination a couple hours later, I noticed the chip in the windshield.
Called around and a local auto glass shop was able to get me in that morning for a patch. Total cost $70 and 20 minutes.
Emailed my insurance agent on Monday and sent her a copy of the receipt. She says it's 100% covered and I should get a check in 6-8 weeks.

Here in CA glass coverage is optional. I got the coverage on my policy so glass repair is free, glass replacement has a $100 deductible but often the insurance will waive it.

The shop that did my repair said if I needed to replace the windshield, it would be $2500-$3000 for OEM glass, and that price include calibration of the safety systems. It would take several weeks for them to get the glass though. Luckily I caught it early and they were able to patch it so the damage shouldn't spread.

Can't even see it after they patched it unless you get up really close and really look for it.
Was it a small chip? I wonder if I should try for that tomorrow. My insurance covers glass that I learned so far but I will only know if they will let me do it at BMW dealership...but I really can not wait for the glass because I am moving out of this midwest state and heading east coast ..like next week... Thanks for sharing your experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:38 PM   #5
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbim View Post
Was it a small chip? I wonder if I should try for that tomorrow. My insurance covers glass that I learned so far but I will only know if they will let me do it at BMW dealership...but I really can not wait for the glass because I am moving out of this midwest state and heading east coast ..like next week... Thanks for sharing your experience.
It looks similar to the one in the picture above. Mine was in the middle of the glass (left to right) and about 6 inches up from the bottom of the glass.

Most BMW dealership does not do glass repairs. They have to call a 3rd party to come in and do it.
If you're just doing a patch, find any reputable auto glass repair shop in the area.

I got several quotes on Saturday morning. Some wanted $129 per chip and would come out to me. The one I ended up using was $70 and I bring my car into their shop. They were very busy, had at least another 10 cars there waiting for chip repairs, glass replacement or tint install.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:42 PM   #6
highbim
Rep

Quote:
It looks similar to the one in the picture above. Mine was in the middle of the glass (left to right) and about 6 inches up from the bottom of the glass.

Most BMW dealership does not do glass repairs. They have to call a 3rd party to come in and do it.
If you're just doing a patch, find any reputable auto glass repair shop in the area.

I got several quotes on Saturday morning. Some wanted $129 per chip and would come out to me. The one I ended up using was $70 and I bring my car into their shop. They were very busy, had at least another 10 cars there waiting for chip repairs, glass replacement or tint install.
Got it. Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. I will do the same tomorrow. Mine is right in the center of the windshield..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:46 PM   #7
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbim View Post
Got it. Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. I will do the same tomorrow. Mine is right in the center of the windshield..
This is what it looks like after the patch. This is 3x zoom with the camera about 6 inches away from the windshield. From the driver seat, you can't see it unless you really stare at it and look for it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:53 PM   #8
highbim
Rep

Quote:
This is what it looks like after the patch. This is 3x zoom with the camera about 6 inches away from the windshield. From the driver seat, you can't see it unless you really stare at it and look for it.
That's great work! barely noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 11:11 AM   #9
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Twice I've experienced the same inexplicable windshield chipping under similar circumstances. The last one was so severe, I am convinced it came from some joker firing a sub-sonic rifle at passing cars. I've had many rocks hit my windshields over the years. This last incident created pock mark a bit larger than 1" diameter, and pulverized the glass at this point of impact.
Appreciate 1
rjabend374.50
      06-18-2023, 03:33 PM   #10
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
Twice I've experienced the same inexplicable windshield chipping under similar circumstances. The last one was so severe, I am convinced it came from some joker firing a sub-sonic rifle at passing cars. I've had many rocks hit my windshields over the years. This last incident created pock mark a bit larger than 1" diameter, and pulverized the glass at this point of impact.
Yes. Good call. I had the same thoughts and one of the pictures earlier in this thread could have been caused by a BB.
Appreciate 0