BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Private Party Car Sales Question

10-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
lvevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Evo 9, Focus RS

Smile Private Party Car Sales Question

Guys,
As the title states, how did you handle a private party car sale? I'm looking to have only serious buyers test drive the car. So how did you do that? I have seen people mention that "please have the money available before the test drive", possibly a cashiers check during meet up? Just write an ad that is uninviting/mean to thwart those joy riders? Not sure how to handle this situation. Can someone let me know their experience please.

Thanks,
      10-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Caffeine Powered
Keep it moving
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

Who says you have to let them drive? I've taken prospective buyers as passengers. When I sold my Audi last week it was to a 17yr old girlfriend of my daughter. Her mom came along and I ride shotgun.
If you've shopped for cars you can remember how you acted and what you said when you weren't serious. Keep those signs in mind and you'll be fine.
      10-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Last private sale I did was for my Mustang. Naturally a lot of younger people were interested. Older people didn’t even ask to test drive, but if anyone did ask, I politely declined and offered to take them on a ride. And I would proceed to scare the living daylights out of them on a back road, showing them the merits of the car. That, plus how perfect the car looked along with maintenance records didn’t really present any questions.
Appreciate 0