BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Aggressive Lane change/Lane departure when using Driving Assistant Pro

11-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Aggressive Lane change/Lane departure when using Driving Assistant Pro

I often use Active Driving Assistant Pro. option when driving on highways. It's very helpful and reduces driving stress. But I still think the automatic lane change when turning blinkers ON is very aggressive. Has there been any recent software updates that smooths the active lane change/lane departure function?

My 2019 X7 is with Software version 07/2019.39
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Yes. Mine was very aggressive and after software update (not sure number, will have to check) where they kept car overnight, it now lane changes quickly after turn signal press and decently smooth. It still has a little "swing" to it compare to how a human would do it slowly, but it works much better now imho.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 05:34 AM   #3
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Its scary the first time you use it and that lane change is like a NASCAR-type move Its likely better suited for the Driving Asst Plus when you're less than 40mph as you want to fit in quick for Traffic Jam like scenarios.

For lane keep assist post-40pmh, they really should ease into the lane change less aggressively. Hopefully we'll see a software update address it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #4
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
Its scary the first time you use it and that lane change is like a NASCAR-type move Its likely better suited for the Driving Asst Plus when you're less than 40mph as you want to fit in quick for Traffic Jam like scenarios.

For lane keep assist post-40pmh, they really should ease into the lane change less aggressively. Hopefully we'll see a software update address it.

On highway, what is scarier is once you pass a vehicle, and now ready to come back to the right lane, as soon as you turn the blinkers, the car just makes a quick lane change right in front of the other vehicle. I am sure it checks for the safe distance, but still its unusually close. May be its how they do it in Autobahn Germany, but in the US its considered unusual and pisses off the other driver

I hope they fix that make especially on highway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #5
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Yes. Mine was very aggressive and after software update (not sure number, will have to check) where they kept car overnight, it now lane changes quickly after turn signal press and decently smooth. It still has a little "swing" to it compare to how a human would do it slowly, but it works much better now imho.
I do know BMW has a couple of software updates released for 2019 X7 40i since my release (07/2019.39). I don't know if they fixed anything on this issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:03 AM   #6
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So here is a question for those of you with this option.... Is the lane change by the "computer" really that aggressive/scary? Or does it just feel more aggressive/scary because it is a computer making the maneuver and not you, the human?

I know that when I drive, I will typically change lanes very deliberately, but I wouldn't consider it too aggressive like you are describing. However, when I am a passenger with my wife, who drives very passively compared to me, even her lane changes can feel a bit aggressive at times, just because I am not the one in control of the maneuver.

So in other words, is it merely a trust issue until you get used to the computer doing some of the driving on the highway? Also, can't you adjust the sensitivity/aggressiveness of the maneuvers the computer will make?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So here is a question for those of you with this option.... Is the lane change by the "computer" really that aggressive/scary? Or does it just feel more aggressive/scary because it is a computer making the maneuver and not you, the human?

I know that when I drive, I will typically change lanes very deliberately, but I wouldn't consider it too aggressive like you are describing. However, when I am a passenger with my wife, who drives very passively compared to me, even her lane changes can feel a bit aggressive at times, just because I am not the one in control of the maneuver.

So in other words, is it merely a trust issue until you get used to the computer doing some of the driving on the highway? Also, can't you adjust the sensitivity/aggressiveness of the maneuvers the computer will make?
Definitely more aggressive! I just took delivery of a custom build 2020 X7 about 2 weeks ago. It is way more aggressive than what the normal human changes lanes. I, for instance, usually take many car lengths to make the full lane change. The X7 does it in about 2 car lengths or sooner.

Pretty aggressive in my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:

Definitely more aggressive! I just took delivery of a custom build 2020 X7 about 2 weeks ago. It is way more aggressive than what the normal human changes lanes. I, for instance, usually take many car lengths to make the full lane change. The X7 does it in about 2 car lengths or sooner.

Pretty aggressive in my opinion...
Sounds like my kind of driver..... But seriously, do you think you could eventually "trust" the computer? Even if the computer may drive more aggressively than a human (or you in this case), the one thing a computer should have over a human is consistency and accuracy - even with variable road and traffic conditions.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:50 PM   #9
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

I felt the same way at first when I tried automatic lane change, but now I'm used to it and like the system "I'm making a lane change" mode.

Personally, nothing irritates me more than someone changing lanes or making left turns slowly, LOL. I'm glad my BMW gets me out out of a lane quickly and definitively.

Appreciate 1
emargul204.50
      12-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #10
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

We did have a 2400 mile road trip last week. The car did have a software update just before we left. I did use the Driver Assistant significantly on highways. It performed well. There were a couple of times the car was doing the ping-pong, but I think it may have been due to extreme wind gust... Once we were in Cali. I did use the Driver Assistant plus (trafficjam) options when the car met all it's requirements, I was driving hands free without putting my hands on the steering every 5 sec.The car did well driving hands free in the traffic go and stop.

I still think lane change at highway speed is still a little aggressive, even though I am getting use to it
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 12:09 AM   #11
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

These driving assist hardware / softwares have some ways to go until they reach mainstream usability. I have had the Trsla Model S, X and 3 and to this day it is still unsafe in my humble opinion. I believe I am a much better and safer than the Autopilot system with Tesla and feel BMWs no different.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      12-31-2019, 12:17 AM   #12
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalthinker View Post
These driving assist hardware / softwares have some ways to go until they reach mainstream usability. I have had the Trsla Model S, X and 3 and to this day it is still unsafe in my humble opinion. I believe I am a much better and safer than the Autopilot system with Tesla and feel BMWs no different.
Ethernalthinker you are absolutely right. But in my opinion the system does reduce driving stress especially during long travel or traffic jams. At least in my case it does have that effect...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:54 PM   #13
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waise View Post
Ethernalthinker you are absolutely right. But in my opinion the system does reduce driving stress especially during long travel or traffic jams. At least in my case it does have that effect...
Yes it certainly does on thise long multi -hr drives. I find myself taking over on the twisties as it feels like car is constantly self-correcting making it feel like I am shifting side to side
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:03 PM   #14
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalthinker View Post
Yes it certainly does on thise long multi -hr drives. I find myself taking over on the twisties as it feels like car is constantly self-correcting making it feel like I am shifting side to side
I would agree. It works well on the freeway but it still kind of "Hunts" within it's lane. It's as if each camera has to communicate with each other constantly but the processing power isn't quick enough to interpret that data as fast as we do. Therefore, it still weaves and bobs a few inches. Even on straight flat freeways.

I'm on iDrive Version 2019/07.59. I took delivery from the factory on 11/15/19. So I must have just missed the latest update to iDrive. I don't know if the latest update is any better than what I have now or not.

But, overall, on long trips or heavy stop and go traffic it works great! But there's trade offs. I suspect the brakes get used for more frequently when using Driver Assistance Professional than when a human is driving and paying attention. Maybe that's why the brakes wear out so much faster on these vehicles. I just did my first brake job on my 2008 Toyota Camry at 102,000. I bought the vehicle brand new and I am the main driver of that car.

Their are pros and cons to all of this technology...Bottom line... "There is no such thing as a fully autonomous car". It will come, but we might not like what we get. Never rely on the vehicle, or any technology for that matter, to make decisions for you. They should be used as "Aids" only. Not substitutes. Just my 2 pennies worth of course...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #15
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would agree. It works well on the freeway but it still kind of "Hunts" within it's lane. It's as if each camera has to communicate with each other constantly but the processing power isn't quick enough to interpret that data as fast as we do. Therefore, it still weaves and bobs a few inches. Even on straight flat freeways.

I'm on iDrive Version 2019/07.59. I took delivery from the factory on 11/15/19. So I must have just missed the latest update to iDrive. I don't know if the latest update is any better than what I have now or not.

But, overall, on long trips or heavy stop and go traffic it works great! But there's trade offs. I suspect the brakes get used for more frequently when using Driver Assistance Professional than when a human is driving and paying attention. Maybe that's why the brakes wear out so much faster on these vehicles. I just did my first brake job on my 2008 Toyota Camry at 102,000. I bought the vehicle brand new and I am the main driver of that car.

Their are pros and cons to all of this technology...Bottom line... "There is no such thing as a fully autonomous car". It will come, but we might not like what we get. Never rely on the vehicle, or any technology for that matter, to make decisions for you. They should be used as "Aids" only. Not substitutes. Just my 2 pennies worth of course...
Mitch I got an update a couple of weeks ago from older software version. It is version 11/2019.40. I think I remember reading in addition to some fixes in general areas, there were some enhancements to Driverassist. I am not sure what that mean against your software version.

I also agree that the brakes on these cars will wear out quicker and are expensive. I did get Extended Maintenance Agreement on mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #16
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Mitch I got an update a couple of weeks ago from older software version. It is version 11/2019.40. I think I remember reading in addition to some fixes in general areas, there were some enhancements to Driverassist. I am not sure what that mean against your software version.

I also agree that the brakes on these cars will wear out quicker and are expensive. I did get Extended Maintenance Agreement on mine.
I also got the extended Maintenance and Warranty on my car as well. Since the advertised OTA updates still aren't happening my car's iDrive tells me there is no updated for my car.

I'll be sure to ask the dealer when I bring the car in for my first oil change.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #17
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I also got the extended Maintenance and Warranty on my car as well. Since the advertised OTA updates still aren't happening my car's iDrive tells me there is no updated for my car.

I'll be sure to ask the dealer when I bring the car in for my first oil change.
Yes, OTA is still inactive for us. I did my software update during the fist oil change a couple of weeks ago.
I got the Extended Maintenance but I have not got the Extended vehicle warranty yet. That was expensive at the time. I think I may get that later by calling around for a better deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #18
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So how well do the semi-autonomous features work at night?

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:14 PM   #19
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Most of my driving using Driver Assistant been during day time. But the times I have used it at night time on the highways I have had no issues. Even during my long trips when it got dark I still continued with Driver Assistant; it does help reduce stress driving at night.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      01-03-2020, 06:38 AM   #20
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Most of my driving using Driver Assistant been during day time. But the times I have used it at night time on the highways I have had no issues. Even during my long trips when it got dark I still continued with Driver Assistant; it does help reduce stress driving at night.
Does that include Traffic Jam Assist performance at night, too? Also, are the high beams required to be in "auto" when using the semi-autonomous features at night (presumably to help the car "see" better and further away at night)?

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #21
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Does that include Traffic Jam Assist performance at night, too? Also, are the high beams required to be in "auto" when using the semi-autonomous features at night (presumably to help the car "see" better and further away at night)?
I used it a couple of times driving work to home which was night time and it worked no different to me. Traffic Jam Assist is an extension of Driver Assistant plus or (Enhanced Drivers Assistant). That means there are many other parameters, especially looking at the cars surrounding your, has to be met before your cars iDrive promts you to switch to Traffic Jam Assist mode.

Relating to the high beams being in Auto, I don't think they need to in Auto for Driver Assistant. But I loved this feature when we drove on back roads at night in order to bypass a few major accidents on highway 5 going to Cali. I left high beams in Auto and the car did the rest. Nice and bright, and when system saw a vehicle or may be another vehicles headlight it shifted to low beam automatically and then switched back to high, all without any issue to the opposite vehicles or mine.

The one thing I did not get a chance to test was, it's my understanding, that the car's Driver Assistant will use the iDrive navigation system (BMW NAV) to further help with driving, when you activate it, especially with the curves and other challenges. This is because my wife likes connecting iPhone Carplay and use Google map for NAV.
Appreciate 0