BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Snow chains on 21" wheels?

12-14-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
m5mosh
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2020 X7 M50i

Snow chains on 21" wheels?

The X7 manual says to only put chains on 20" wheels. Has anyone tried a set on 21" wheels? If so can you share which set you used? The KONIG K-SUMMIT XXL K77 look like they fit the wheel and claim suitable for low clearance. I've used SCC Super-Z on other vehicles. For the X7 it looks like that would be "SCC SZ441 Super Z6 Cable Tire Chain". Anyone had success with these or some other option?

Last edited by m5mosh; 12-14-2019 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5mosh View Post
The X7 manual says to only put chains on 20" wheels. Has anyone tried a set on 21" wheels? If so can you share which set you used? The KONIG K-SUMMIT XXL K77 look like they fit the wheel and claim suitable for low clearance. I've used SCC Super-Z on other vehicles. For the X7 it looks like that would be "SCC SZ441 Super Z6 Cable Tire Chain". Anyone had success with these or some other option?
I bought a set of isee snow socks size 74. They don't actually list 285/45/21 but I extrapolated from other size tires that do fit , 31" tall and about 11" wide and they should fit.

They fit flat under the rear cargo floor if you take the cargo cover thing out. I also have a tire repair kit, snow brush/scraper in there. I also have the factory spare.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #3
J_PNW
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 40i ‘21

I'm curious to hear if anyone has found (and used) chains they're happy with?
I purchased a set of winter wheels and tires (754M, 285/45/21), but will be exploring areas of the PNW where there may be chain laws in effect from time-to-time.

I saw the snow sock mentioned above, curious if people are happy with those and found those effective in difficult conditions?

Other than that, relatively slim pickings.
Found König chains:
König K-SUMMIT XXL K77
https://konigchain.com/fitguide-consumer/

Autozone,
Quality Chain QV741
https://www.autozone.com/snow-chains...ins/119643_0_0

Any other favorites that I've missed?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

+1

I haven’t gotten my car yet, which I will be in 2 weeks. But I was definitely planning on getting chains. It is necessary to have one on hand in PNW. So why is it not advisable to put on 21” wheels? If that is a blocker, I would have to consider 20” winter wheels. Any insight is appreciated.
Appreciate 1
J_PNW39.50
      02-10-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

I never needed the snow socks, so I can't really comment, but reviews are good.

as regards to chains on 20" wheels....well the 20" wheel uses a narrower 255mm tire so it probably comes down to fender clearance.
Appreciate 1
J_PNW39.50
      02-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
J_PNW
Private
Rep

Thanks like2short, I think I'll get the snow socks - just so I can say I have "chains" in the car for those areas that require it, but appreciating that the snow socks probably won't come anywhere near the traction that proper chains can offer.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 01:27 PM   #7
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_PNW View Post
Thanks like2short, I think I'll get the snow socks - just so I can say I have "chains" in the car for those areas that require it, but appreciating that the snow socks probably won't come anywhere near the traction that proper chains can offer.
I lived in Kirkland, WA for 3 years 1999-2001!

The snow Sox are approved in many states when chains are required. Reviews seem to be very good.

From my knowledge most states require M&S designation which most all season tires are stamped with. There is the Mountain symbol that "real snow tires have" which is ideal, but not necessarily convenient if you need it part of the time.

If you live in Kirkland, it will be rare when you need chains or real snow tires going up to Snoqualime or Whistler. Here are the Sox in the storage tray above the spare tire.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
J_PNW39.50
m-prsev74.50
      02-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #8
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Socks are good and legal, but no where as good as chains. If you stick to the roads and just want it for legal reasons, socks should be good enough. But I’m thinking I want to have chains for worst case. I will be having winter tires as well. So when I put the chains on, it is a situation my winter tires can’t handle.
Appreciate 1
J_PNW39.50
      02-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #9
J_PNW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post

The snow Sox are approved in many states when chains are required. Reviews seem to be very good.

From my knowledge most states require M&S designation which most all season tires are stamped with. There is the Mountain symbol that "real snow tires have" which is ideal, but not necessarily convenient if you need it part of the time.

If you live in Kirkland, it will be rare when you need chains or real snow tires going up to Snoqualime or Whistler. Here are the Sox in the storage tray above the spare tire.
Former neighbor! Kirkland's a great spot, fairly central for a lot of Seattle+suburb destinations.

Are you driving around with 2 or 4 of the snow socks?
Based on the WA DOT, it looks like we would only need one pair on a 4wd vehicle:
https://www.wsdot.com/winter/tires-c...d-alternatives
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #10
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_PNW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post

Former neighbor! Kirkland's a great spot, fairly central for a lot of Seattle+suburb destinations.

Are you driving around with 2 or 4 of the snow socks?
Based on the WA DOT, it looks like we would only need one pair on a 4wd vehicle:
https://www.wsdot.com/winter/tires-c...d-alternatives
I have Sox for all 4 tires. I have them in case I need them , but have not needed them. Usually we've been lucky to not hit a snow storm. And usually roads are plowed well.

I have driven in real snow storms...in other vehicles and I think x7 would be ok on all seasons but not ok with the 22" summers. Todd Walton here on the board recently described his experience on the all seasons in ny state.

Looks like WA says all season is a " traction tire". So I think Sox and the factory all seasons should be fine for WA.

The following qualify as traction tires when required on Washington roadways:

Approved traction tires - including an eighth of an inch tread and a M&S or All Season label or a Mountain/Snowflake symbol.
Installing chains makes any tire a traction tire. Approved tire chains
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 11:27 AM   #11
x7shopper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Did anyone find a working solution? Are Thule/Konig the best option for 21" wheels? Did anyone try the "Security Chain Company SZ441 Super Z6" or the Laclede brand from Oreilly?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 11:42 AM   #12
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Once you ruin an Armani suit trying to install chains along side an interstate in the middle of a blizzard, you'll decide winter tires aren't such a bad idea, even if you do run them on dry pavement 80% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 03:40 PM   #13
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

No experience with chains on the X7 but did get to use snow socks on mine earlier this year when we went to Tahoe and had a couple of storms drop nearly a foot overnight.
My friend who went with us had chains on his Toyota, and he could not get up the very steep, snow packed/icy driveway of the rental house. I had no issues with snow socks and all season tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 12:16 AM   #14
x7shopper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
No experience with chains on the X7 but did get to use snow socks on mine earlier this year when we went to Tahoe and had a couple of storms drop nearly a foot overnight.
My friend who went with us had chains on his Toyota, and he could not get up the very steep, snow packed/icy driveway of the rental house. I had no issues with snow socks and all season tires.
Did you have just one pair on the front tires?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 08:53 AM   #15
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7shopper View Post
Did you have just one pair on the front tires?
No, I had 2 pairs, all 4 tires had snow socks on them.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 12:48 AM   #16
x7shopper
Enlisted Member
Rep

I found these as an option too, Konigs but a lot easier to install than the previously mentioned ones: https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains...leid=202286830
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 01:25 AM   #17
Cshark
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7

Just back from a major holiday storm in Tahoe and had to pickup a pair of emergency chains. I was worried about CalTrans going to an R3 chain requirment (mandatory for all vehicles) and was also worried about our road and driveway. The tire shop recommended and thankfully stocked these for my 21” tires.
https://qualitychaincorp.com/volt-light-truck/
But here’s the thing… I had a 2019 X7, with 21” winter tires and never had an issue in Snow Mode. Just traded it in a few months ago for a 2023 X7 and installed my same BMW 21” wheels and winter tires. The new model lacks a dedicated snow mode; you can just enable general Traction control. I am now wondering if this is a significant change.
We tried to get out in 2 ft of snow, on top of 24hrs of rain, so granted it was icy. But we could barely make it onto the road, sliding everywhere. We just gave up and went back into the garage. Didn’t bother trying the chains (I was also concerned about going against the instructions in the manual) The main road seemed so bad and clearance was also going to be an issue… saw one toyota 4runner and a subaru make it but they were both struggling.
My husband was laughing bc we have 2 cars in our garage… the X7 with snow tires and a toyota 4runner with all seasons. I said the X7 with snow tires would be our best bet, so that is the side we dug out.
Just bumping this up to see if anyone has successfully put chains on their x7 with all the crazy weather happening across the country these days.
Appreciate 0