BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum How good is driver assist pro?

12-06-2019, 01:07 AM   #1
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

How good is driver assist pro?

I saw some review saying that adaptive cruise and driver assist and lane keep only work at speeds below 35mph... is that true?

does it work at highway speeds as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #2
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

That would be a joke if the adaptive cruise and lane change assist only works below 35 mph. I'm pretty sure cruise meant at cruising speeds and lane change assist works at those speeds as well. At least that's how it was in my previous GLS. But one stupid thing I noticed in my previous GLS was that it didn't work in stop n' go traffic. It used to stop all the way in adaptive cruise setting but didn't start when front vehicle moved. Also used to make some grinding noise every time it moves further after a gentle acceleration in that bumper to bumper traffic. Haven't used in M5 (that would be lame) but let's see how X7 performs.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
boss460
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie408 View Post
I saw some review saying that adaptive cruise and driver assist and lane keep only work at speeds below 35mph... is that true?

I don't know why a review would state that because it is incorrect.

Adaptive cruise and driver assist and lane keep etc. does work at highway speeds.

Hill descent only works below 25mph so maybe that's what they meant?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie408 View Post

Adaptive Cruse control, works up to 180 km/hr or 112 MPH

The stop and go feature works up to 40 mph in traffic, and you can go hands free as long as you are looking at the road ahead of you. there is a camera that tracks your eyes.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:31 AM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Adaptive Cruse control, works up to 180 km/hr or 112 MPH

The stop and go feature works up to 40 mph in traffic, and you can go hands free as long as you are looking at the road ahead of you. there is a camera that tracks your eyes.
I must be missing a setting then. Mine forces me to put my hands on the steering wheel with warnings every 5 seconds or so until it starts beeping and slowing down until I put my hands back on the wheel.

Where is the setting to change it to eye contact only and no hands on the wheel for an extended length of time in traffic?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
Jarecki
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Drive assist pro (if that’s the actual name) is different from adaptive cruise control with lane keeping assist. Assist pro only works with speeds up to 40mph, and only activates if certain conditions are met (you must be on multi lane highway). When it activates, the green lights on the steering wheel will come on, and you can take your hands off the wheel completely for however long you want.

This has been covered in other threads if you look for it. Again, it’s different from adaptive cruise with lane keeping assist, which asks you to keep your hands on the steering wheel every few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #7
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

These short videos show the system. Please note the Extended Traffic Jam Assistant (ETJA) which is the complete hands free at speeds below 40MPH is an extension of Driver Assistant Pro. There are many parameters has to be met before system promps you for full hands free mode where car uses driver camera to make sure Driver is paying attention.

Driver Assistant Pro with Acrive/Adaptive Cruise setup and examples

Last edited by Waise; 12-07-2019 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 01:30 AM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarecki View Post
Drive assist pro (if that’s the actual name) is different from adaptive cruise control with lane keeping assist. Assist pro only works with speeds up to 40mph, and only activates if certain conditions are met (you must be on multi lane highway). When it activates, the green lights on the steering wheel will come on, and you can take your hands off the wheel completely for however long you want.

This has been covered in other threads if you look for it. Again, it’s different from adaptive cruise with lane keeping assist, which asks you to keep your hands on the steering wheel every few seconds.
According to the videos below the only option that allows you to "NOT" keep your hands on the wheel is "Assisted Driving Plus".

I have Driving Assistance Professional on my 2020 X7 and there is no option for "Assisted Driving Plus".

I live in Washington State and drive I5 in the Seattle area frequently. I have every option enabled for Driving Assistance Professional and I've never been able to drive without periodically touching the steering wheel. I've engaged Driver Assistance Professional below 40 MPH and I've never got the steering wheel lights to light up green and allow me to take my hands off of the steering wheel for extended periods of time. I also don't get the option for the "Assisted Driving Plus" when I toggle the "Mode" button.

I have the latest version of iDrive since I just took delivery of a brand new custom order a few weeks ago.

I also see reference to this feature/option in the owner's manual and in the videos but it hasn't worked for me. I am going to try this again the next time I'm driving in the Seattle area in stop and go traffic. If it doesn't work I'll probably have to take it in and get it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #9
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

The extended traffic jam assist only becomes available under certain condition, it will give a little warning message when the conditions are met and then you can select it. It'll follow along nicely in a traffic jam at slow speeds. Of course its not available with all options.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:55 AM   #10
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarecki View Post

According to the videos below the only option that allows you to "NOT" keep your hands on the wheel is "Assisted Driving Plus".

I have Driving Assistance Professional on my 2020 X7 and there is no option for "Assisted Driving Plus".

I live in Washington State and drive I5 in the Seattle area frequently. I have every option enabled for Driving Assistance Professional and I've never been able to drive without periodically touching the steering wheel. I've engaged Driver Assistance Professional below 40 MPH and I've never got the steering wheel lights to light up green and allow me to take my hands off of the steering wheel for extended periods of time. I also don't get the option for the "Assisted Driving Plus" when I toggle the "Mode" button.

I have the latest version of iDrive since I just took delivery of a brand new custom order a few weeks ago.

I also see reference to this feature/option in the owner's manual and in the videos but it hasn't worked for me. I am going to try this again the next time I'm driving in the Seattle area in stop and go traffic. If it doesn't work I'll probably have to take it in and get it checked out.
I was recently at the dealer talking to what seemed to be a knowledgeable client advisor on this topic (which can be rare these days). He confirmed everything you mentioned. He even went into further detail about these semi-autonomous features offered in the latest BMWs, including the parking features. Specifically:

1) These features use basic AI (artificial intelligence) algorithms to help the car "learn" how to drive on the road. This is why these features won't officially start working until the car has a certain amount of mileage. And once the minimum mileage limit is reached, the system still continues to learn and become more accurate and precise.

2) The current semi-autonomous tech in the BMWs is actually ready to go full autonomous now. However US laws (and laws in other countries) do not allow full autonomy yet. The CA mentioned that car autonomy is placed in different classes. Class 5 is full autonomy (not legal yet, but BMW tech can support), BMW cars are currently running at Class 3.

I have not verified this with my own research, but what the CA said seems very reasonable an plausible. I am willing to bet that with some coding, getting a modern BMW up to full autonomy (i.e. Class 5) may by doable - at your own risk of course....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I was recently at the dealer talking to what seemed to be a knowledgeable client advisor on this topic (which can be rare these days). He confirmed everything you mentioned. He even went into further detail about these semi-autonomous features offered in the latest BMWs, including the parking features. Specifically:

1) These features use basic AI (artificial intelligence) algorithms to help the car "learn" how to drive on the road. This is why these features won't officially start working until the car has a certain amount of mileage. And once the minimum mileage limit is reached, the system still continues to learn and become more accurate and precise.

2) The current semi-autonomous tech in the BMWs is actually ready to go full autonomous now. However US laws (and laws in other countries) do not allow full autonomy yet. The CA mentioned that car autonomy is placed in different classes. Class 5 is full autonomy (not legal yet, but BMW tech can support), BMW cars are currently running at Class 3.

I have not verified this with my own research, but what the CA said seems very reasonable an plausible. I am willing to bet that with some coding, getting a modern BMW up to full autonomy (i.e. Class 5) may by doable - at your own risk of course....
Interesting...At what speed do you need to be at to engage this feature? Can I be driving at 70 MPH using Driving Assistance Pro and come up to stopped traffic and see the warning option to engage the feature? Or, do I have to wait until I hit the traffic, then engage the Drive Assistance Pro and hit the Mode button and toggle through it until I see the "Driver Assistance Plus" option?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #12
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Extended traffic jam assist only becomes available under specific conditions; it will give you a message with green icon at the message window of your instrument cluster just over your steering, When thoes conditions are met and once active you then can select it by pressing the Mode button again. That is why you don't see this active all the time. (BMW calls it an "extension" of your Driving Assistant Pro). It will work in a traffic jam at slow speeds I think up to 40MPH.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #13
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting...At what speed do you need to be at to engage this feature? Can I be driving at 70 MPH using Driving Assistance Pro and come up to stopped traffic and see the warning option to engage the feature? Or, do I have to wait until I hit the traffic, then engage the Drive Assistance Pro and hit the Mode button and toggle through it until I see the "Driver Assistance Plus" option?
The way that the CA explained it to me (as I don't have this functionality in my car) is that Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) are separate autonomous functions that can only be activated when certain conditions are me. So in other words, if you are cruising at highway speeds and activate ACC, but then hit bumper-bumper traffic on the highway, the ACC will bring the car to a stop, but will not automatically activate TJA. The driver must manually activate TJA. And subsequently if traffic opens up, the driver must manually activate ACC.

I am guessing this is partly how BMW remains compliant with the current semi-autonomous laws in effect and not getting sued if something goes wrong. That said I am looking forward to getting this option to play around with it - including finding out the coding possibilities to "tweak" the car's autonomous functions ....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #14
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
And subsequently if traffic opens up, the driver must manually activate ACC.
Just a little correction here.....The ACC automatically activates itself when it sees that TJA has been cleared.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #15
kwilkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S e

Quote:

I'm skeptical about a couple of details the CA shared with you.

On point 1. I test drove an X7 that had 12 miles on it and all the the driving assist feature worked, they did not need to "learn" anything via AI. My 2019 Cayenne has fairly good driver assist features and they work exactly the same today as they did the day I got the car. I suppose it is possible that BMW has some sort of AI where the systems "learns" and gets better over time, but I'm skeptical.

The CA saying BMW can support Level 5 full autonomy is flat out untrue. Unless there is some special secret testing facility BMW has that they let this CA into. A google search will provide some interesting information on this, here is a simple explanation https://www.forbes.com/sites/cogniti.../#148de5674382
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #16
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
Quote:

I'm skeptical about a couple of details the CA shared with you.

On point 1. I test drove an X7 that had 12 miles on it and all the the driving assist feature worked, they did not need to "learn" anything via AI. My 2019 Cayenne has fairly good driver assist features and they work exactly the same today as they did the day I got the car. I suppose it is possible that BMW has some sort of AI where the systems "learns" and gets better over time, but I'm skeptical.

The CA saying BMW can support Level 5 full autonomy is flat out untrue. Unless there is some special secret testing facility BMW has that they let this CA into. A google search will provide some interesting information on this, here is a simple explanation https://www.forbes.com/sites/cogniti.../#148de5674382
Well, regarding point 1, he did not specify what that mileage cutoff is. But it makes perfect sense that the autonomous modules in these cars start off with some "baseline" capability, but over time, as the system gathers more data, the system will become better, more accurate and more responsive as it "learns". It only makes sense for an autonomous system to be this way since there are way too many variables from real world driving that can be initially programmed into the autonomous modules. There needs to be some amount of learning. This concept of "learning" or "adapting" is not new. For example, all modern car engines, including BMW engines, have been using adaptive learning (the term being "adaptations") for decades to help the engine adapt to its driving environment and thus perform at peak efficiency and performance.

Regarding the level of BMW autonomous capability (i.e. Class 3 vs Class 5), I did take that with a grain of salt as I am not too familiar with the specifics of what those terms actually mean. However, it makes perfect sense to me that BMW's autonomous tech is further ahead of what current US policy/law allows. How far ahead and exactly how capable BMW autonomous tech is in reality is definitely debatable though...

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #17
kwilkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S e

Quote:
Well, regarding point 1, he did not specify what that mileage cutoff is. But it makes perfect sense that the autonomous modules in these cars start off with some "baseline" capability, but over time, as the system gathers more data, the system will become better, more accurate and more responsive as it "learns". It only makes sense for an autonomous system to be this way since there are way too many variables from real world driving that can be initially programmed into the autonomous modules. There needs to be some amount of learning. This concept of "learning" or "adapting" is not new. For example, all modern car engines, including BMW engines, have been using adaptive learning (the term being "adaptations") for decades to help the engine adapt to its driving environment and thus perform at peak efficiency and performance.
I agree it makes sense cars would use AI to learn and improve. I'm uncertain if the tech currently available in today's cars is doing that. I've had 4 cars with varying levels of autonomous drivers assist, by far the best is my current 2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I've logged well over 2,000 miles with the Porsche system active and it performs the same today as it did the day I got it. I've had it active scores of times on the exact same roads going back and forth to work, the areas of road that it doesn't perform well and the degree to which it doesn't perform well are the same. The system hasn't "learned' to drive any better at all. It is a good system but its abilities are static, it is not improving.

I think BMW, Audi (including Porsche and the others) , and Mercedes systems today are fairly equal. One will be a bit better than another and then they catch up to and surpass each other in small increments. I would be delighted to know BMW's currently available tech does indeed learn and improve overtime base on actual driving inputs into an AI system that is learning and improving. I'll soon get an X7 M50i and will be able to see, fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #18
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My question to the CA would have been:

If BMWs system is currently able to provide Class 4 Autonomy, why doesn't it.... like Tesla?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #19
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Tsk, my driver assist pro performs steady at a Class DUI level...and that's not from AI, in case you're wondering
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #20
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx_77 View Post

If BMWs system is currently able to provide Class 4 Autonomy, why doesn't it.... like Tesla?
Our current X7, I think is a solid Class 2, may be later they activate more learning capabilities AI.

Tesla is solid Class 3, now.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #21
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waise View Post
Quote:

Our current X7, I think is a solid Class 2, may be later they activate more learning capabilities AI.

Level 3 and maybe level 4 in certain conditions starting will start at bmw in 2021 when they move from Mobileye eyeq4 to eyeq5 and shift the tier 1 supplier to aptiv and Magna from zf/TRW

I hope the Lci version of x7 going into production in aug 22 gets it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #22
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waise View Post
Quote:

Ok.
I guess I mistakenly thought Tesla's were class 4.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0