BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Dealer demo questions

12-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Dealer demo questions

I was looking for a 2019 X7 50i M Sport, but was coming up short with the options I wanted. Getting ready to order an M50i and then came across a fully loaded 2019 50i M Sport dealer demo with 3k miles today. I’ve never leased a demo before so wondering if anyone has advice in general and specifically, how does the standard warranty work? I’m assuming since it’s a dealer demo, the clock/mileage will start ticking when I drive it off the lot?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
I was looking for a 2019 X7 50i M Sport, but was coming up short with the options I wanted. Getting ready to order an M50i and then came across a fully loaded 2019 50i M Sport dealer demo with 3k miles today. I’ve never leased a demo before so wondering if anyone has advice in general and specifically, how does the standard warranty work? I’m assuming since it’s a dealer demo, the clock/mileage will start ticking when I drive it off the lot?
I'd ask for free services because you don't know how all the other drivers treated the car. I'm sure it wasn't broken in nicely either.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
For a lease this might be an OK option but if I were going to purchase and keep the car for 5 or more years I wouldn't buy a dealer loaner/demonstrator before you purchased it.

The reason I wouldn't is because they never get the proper "Break In" period. The manual says never exceed 4500 RPM or punch the throttle to full kick down for the first 1200 miles.

No car being used as a demo or loaner gets a break in period. What's one of the first things you do when you test drive a vehicle? Take it out on the freeway and punch the throttle to the floor to see how fast it will go and how much power it has. Now multiply that by the number of people who test drove the car or drove it as a service loaner.

I'll let other's chime in here. But for me? No way am I spending that kind of money for a vehicle that's been through the wringer before it's even been properly broken in.

Just my 2 pennies worth...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
My X5 was a demo. I didn't get into all the details with the SA because I was about to trade the car but I took it in for service at 38,000 miles (it had 2,500 when I got it). They said they forced through the service on the normal plan in good will toward me, but it would have stopped at 36,000 normally. I had the care+ package, so I got them to do brakes and wipers while they were at it since they were saying there were 3k to go. I told them I was surprised they had to force it and I believe they said it's only the warranty that was extended for a demo (almost certain they said a flat extra 5k miles).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
For a lease this might be an OK option but if I were going to purchase and keep the car for 5 or more years I wouldn't buy a dealer loaner/demonstrator before you purchased it.

The reason I wouldn't is because they never get the proper "Break In" period. The manual says never exceed 4500 RPM or punch the throttle to full kick down for the first 1200 miles.

No car being used as a demo or loaner gets a break in period. What's one of the first things you do when you test drive a vehicle? Take it out on the freeway and punch the throttle to the floor to see how fast it will go and how much power it has. Now multiply that by the number of people who test drove the car or drove it as a service loaner.

I'll let other's chime in here. But for me? No way am I spending that kind of money for a vehicle that's been through the wringer before it's even been properly broken in.

BMW demos come in a variety if flavors, but good luck getting the true story behind it. I happened to know my X5 was driven by the dealership's VP of service. This is actually a rarity because nobody really has true salesperson demos anymore (they get lease allowances instead), they would typically be of the service loaner type or some use within corporate. I've seen speculation around them being performance school cars and the like as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post

BMW demos come in a variety if flavors, but good luck getting the true story behind it. I happened to know my X5 was driven by the dealership's VP of service. This is actually a rarity because nobody really has true salesperson demos anymore (they get lease allowances instead), they would typically be of the service loaner type or some use within corporate. I've seen speculation around them being performance school cars and the like as well.
This is exactly my concern. I'm being told that one executive drove it to and from work, but that's a lot of miles to be the whole story IMHO. Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
dh3622
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, M4 CSL

I don't believe you will get a rebate from BMW CCA w/a demo that has greater than 1k miles on it (at time of purchase). I was not able to get one on my 2019 X7 40i. Mine had 3k miles on it at time of purchase and BMW CCA declined my rebate request.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh3622 View Post
I don't believe you will get a rebate from BMW CCA w/a demo that has greater than 1k miles on it (at time of purchase). I was not able to get one on my 2019 X7 40i. Mine had 3k miles on it at time of purchase and BMW CCA declined my rebate request.
I could confirm that as well.

Also, FWIW, both executive demos I ended up going with previously were about 15% off MSRP. I also didn't have any issues with them other than a couple of rock chips that I would've put there at some point myself.
      12-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
I had a similar experience years ago, wanted a 3 Series M-Sport and it was Christmas and I didn't want to wait several months, and they had an executive demo with 3K miles.

I leased it and it was a great experience. The original warranty applied but I got them to throw in an extended warranty for peace of mind in case I went over the mileage limit. I didn't, and the car was perfect, no worries at all. So long as you're leasing it, and not buying it, I'd say go for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #10
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I did a bmw track event and all the cars were white. Just dont buy white. Lol
Appreciate 1
yousefnjr6112.00
      12-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #11
Wanderer73
Major