BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Sad to be selling my M240i, but I got a deal on a 911 T

Closed Thread

03-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #23
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post
Guy makes a post about his new pride and joy and you take a dump on it. This kind of gatekeeping is so lame. On looks alone the P car wins. Nevermind the fact it's 400lbs lighter, has a mechanical LSD, rear axle steering, superior active suspension, etc etc.

992 is on my list as the next car. It's without doubt an upgrade to the 2er.

Enjoy the ride dude , I'm saving for pretty much the same thing.
At the end of the day, they are just cars. The only things we should take offense to and care to protect are our families and the ones we love. If someone shits on my car buying decisions, why would I care?

The forums are here to learn and share. I'm an engineer. I can't help but to be overly-logical and inquisitive about the details that drives one to sell a particular car and move to another.

FWIW, both OP and I have owned P-cars in the past (he owning quite a few more than me!). I exchanged PMs with Steven and it's all good in the hood.

The car is beautiful and it's a Porsche. I have nothing negative to say about it and would trade my M240i for it in a heartbeat - just wouldn't pay to make the upgrade is all. I wanted to understand why he made the decision he did, again, for perspective, really.

Sorry, Steven, if my comments made your new purchase any less special! (Something tells me it did not. )

Cheers!
      03-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #24
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Congratulations, Steven! The car's beauty is obvious and the driving experience will be outstanding. My jealousy is that I don't really fit well (or is it able to bend enough?) for Porsche! My son had a Cayman, and although being slender, my height and "bendability" made getting in and out so challenging that I started to turn down chances to drive it. Wish it wasn't so, but now also living a bit vicariously through you! Enjoy many happy and safe miles/years ahead!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #25
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
At the end of the day, they are just cars. The only things we should take offense to and care to protect are our families and the ones we love. If someone shits on my car buying decisions, why would I care?

The forums are here to learn and share. I'm an engineer. I can't help but to be overly-logical and inquisitive about the details that drives one to sell a particular car and move to another.

FWIW, both OP and I have owned P-cars in the past (he owning quite a few more than me!). I exchanged PMs with Steven and it's all good in the hood.

The car is beautiful and it's a Porsche. I have nothing negative to say about it and would trade my M240i for it in a heartbeat - just wouldn't pay to make the upgrade is all. I wanted to understand why he made the decision he did, again, for perspective, really.

Sorry, Steven, if my comments made your new purchase any less special! (Something tells me it did not. )

Cheers!
I do get what you are saying...I tend towards analysis and so have pondered re expensive cars...is it really worth that much more?

the 981 Cayman was more than double the price of the z4 coupe and cost me more in depreciation in 2 years than the z4 coupe cost me in 4

was it twice the driving experience? no but I am still glad I did it

sometimes if you just want something you should go for it
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #26
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Congratulations, Steven!

I expect we will all miss your witty observations and comments on the forum and you have yourself a really fine new ride. Enjoy it in good health and good luck! Unicorn.

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #27
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
You guys are all so great; thanks for all the really kind words.

I'm thinking that since the convo quickly shifted to the new P-car (great topic, BTW!), I should try to get the thread moved over to the General car forum where I'd feel more comfy in elaborating on my first two amazing days of break-in miles, and other P-nonsense!

This forum is ***THE BEST***.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #28
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
You guys are all so great; thanks for all the really kind words.

I'm thinking that since the convo quickly shifted to the new P-car (great topic, BTW!), I should try to get the thread moved over to the General car forum where I'd feel more comfy in elaborating on my first two amazing days of break-in miles, and other P-nonsense!

This forum is ***THE BEST***.
Would love to hear your thoughts.
The 991.2 you got is incredibly fast with those new turbo flat-6's. And having owned a 2013 991 for a brief time, the handling is not similar to my m235i, its far better but takes a more skillful hand to extract.
At first, all I got was understeer and oversteer until a racer buddy of mine told me, drive it as if with go-kart physics, ie load up the front tires into corners, get on the power early out of turns. Holy crap, when you get it just right its rather insane the amount of speed you can carry into a corner, not to mention crazy fun.

Also, I'll never forget the tactility in the steering, never drove anything since that has had that level of feel and precision.

Lastly, just look at the damn thing. Despite all the supercars in Miami, a modern 911 in the right color still always cuts such a beautiful, elegant, and sporty profile.

One day, hopefully, I'll pick up the 992 with its new big, wide butt!
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #29
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
where I'd feel more comfy in elaborating on my first two amazing days of break-in miles, and other P-nonsense!
Yes, please elaborate on your thoughts with the T. I love the new car, BTW. Congrats on a the new car and I'm curious as to why you personally chose the T over the other 991 iterations.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #30
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:

Cheers!
There’s no comparison with the 240i, even the M3/4 don’t compare to the dynamics and true feel of a 911 or and Porsche sports car. I owned both an m3 and M4 and own a 991.2S and 718 Cayman GTS and wouldn’t ever compare given the strong dichotomy of how they feel to drive and out around a road course. Even the M4 GTS to me didn’t feel as nimble and responsive as my 991.2S. There’s more to cars than 0-60 but the fact that the Carrera T with a manual runs 12.1@118 mph (pdk is faster) with only 370 hp is a testament to how fast it is. No other car with that level of HP would be anywhere close. On top of that it puts down 1.06gof lateral grip.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #31
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Here are a few pics from today's pre-detail prep work. Next two days will be clay bar, RejeX, etc.

Will try to reply to questions of interest soon.
Attached Images

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #32
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
It's been amazing to own and drive a custom-ordered M240i, certainly the best of the 34 cars I've owned. I could've been happy with my M240i for many more years, but this week I had an unforeseen chance to buy my ultimate dream car, which I brought home today. Unfortunately, there's no way to keep both cars.

Besides knowing that I'll miss my M240i, this has been such a genuinely great forum. Thanks to the exceptional members who have mingled here every day with me for fun, support, and good debate.

I'll be sticking around until my car sells (I put it in the forum classifieds where you can find details).

Stay cool, and be well!
I don't think there's a requirement to own a BMW to be on the forum, I sold my Z4MC a little over a year ago and still come here daily. I don't read so much about BMW stuff anymore, but there is so much other car stuff and off topic threads that are really enjoyable.

Welcome to the Porsche club, you're going to love that beauty.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 11:56 PM   #33
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
There’s no comparison with the 240i, even the M3/4 don’t compare to the dynamics and true feel of a 911 or and Porsche sports car. I owned both an m3 and M4 and own a 991.2S and 718 Cayman GTS and wouldn’t ever compare given the strong dichotomy of how they feel to drive and out around a road course. Even the M4 GTS to me didn’t feel as nimble and responsive as my 991.2S. There’s more to cars than 0-60 but the fact that the Carrera T with a manual runs 12.1@118 mph (pdk is faster) with only 370 hp is a testament to how fast it is. No other car with that level of HP would be anywhere close. On top of that it puts down 1.06gof lateral grip.
Your point is well taken, but I don't think the M3/M4 belong in the conversation as they are much larger/heavier cars, nor the C2S or 718 GTS as they are bred to perform on a different level. Also, we should acknowledge that we are not comparing apples to apples here since the P-cars have either a rear-engine or mid-engine layout, both of which provide inherent advantages on the track over the front-engine layout of the BMW. Still though, I can't help but see the 2-er as a "poor man's 911" in terms of the basic recipe being a 2+2 RWD coupe with available 6-speed manual and 3.0L turbocharged 6-cylinder. Who else besides Porsche with the 911 and BMW with the 2-er is offering this configuration today? I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

A little off-topic, but I would totally love to see a track battle between the M2 Competition and either a base 991.2 Carrera 2 or the Carrera T w/ sofas on a ~3 mile course like VIR, for example.. Same driver and same transmission option for both - either DCT/PDK or 6-speed/7-speed manual. I think this would be a fun battle to watch and probably as "apples to apples" as we can get if comparing the two platforms. The Carrera is down on power and torque, but also weighs ~400 lbs less. Any volunteers out there who want to join me at VIR this year for either the PCA HPDE or BMW CCA HPDE? I'll bring my lowly M240i and a stopwatch.
      03-06-2019, 12:24 AM   #34
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

I personally would not try a bar of clay on a brand new car. It may damage the new paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:41 AM   #35
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
I personally would not try a bar of clay on a brand new car. It may damage the new paint.
How so? Why would a clay bar damage new paint, but not contaminated paint? If anything, the potential for picking up debris and moving it along the clear coat is only going to be possible with dirty/contaminated paint.
      03-06-2019, 03:01 AM   #36
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

love the car op. Just wondering why you removed the decals on the doors.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:48 AM   #37
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Sad to be selling my M240i, but I got a deal on a 911 T
Sorry, but I couldn't see being sad about selling an M240i to end up in a 911 T.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 05:21 AM   #38
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Beautiful car, congrats. I have also just started the search to get into a Cayman S this year. I drove one earlier this year and was hooked. Obviously different than your 911 but I definitely get the excitement. Very interested to hear your first driving thoughts.

Agree with you that this forum is great...I also just joined rennlist a few weeks ago, similar forum where I am learning a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #39
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
How so? Why would a clay bar damage new paint, but not contaminated paint? If anything, the potential for picking up debris and moving it along the clear coat is only going to be possible with dirty/contaminated paint.
I think clay bar has some amount of abrasiveness otherwise it would not be able to pick up fine debris. For older car, the advantage outweighs the risk. But for a brand new car, I don't think you need clay bar and risking damaging the clear paint layer.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #40
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think clay bar has some amount of abrasiveness otherwise it would not be able to pick up fine debris. For older car, the advantage outweighs the risk. But for a brand new car, I don't think you need clay bar and risking damaging the clear paint layer.
I get your point about not messing with a new car, but even new cars are driven by dealership employees, transported on open carriers, etc. Still best to do a fine detail job, including clay bar if necessary, before applying wax or ceramic coatings. I believe quality auto clay is 100% non-abrasive. At least that is what I've seen advertised...
      03-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #41
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
I get your point about not messing with a new car, but even new cars are driven by dealership employees, transported on open carriers, etc. Still best to do a fine detail job, including clay bar if necessary, before applying wax or ceramic coatings. I believe quality auto clay is 100% non-abrasive. At least that is what I've seen advertised...
Why is there such controversy here? Clay is not applied by itself, but with soapy water (at the very least) or a quick detailer substance to make the paint as slick as possible. The possibility of actually damaging the paint with clay is nil when doing it right. The whole purpose of clay is to prepare the paint for polishing and or topping (wax, sealant, etc). In order to do that, clay strips the paint of a lot of the elements that embed in paint and things like waxes. So you are not supposed to leave the car with just a clay. If you introduce a superficial/light scratch to the clear coat, you're in a perfect position to polish it out afterwards.

Would I do it to a new car? Depends on how long the car has been sitting outside and/or driven. If the paint looks and feels rough, claying the car will only improve things. The idea that you're going to damage the paint on a new car if you decide to clay it is ludicrous, IMO.
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #42
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
If you introduce a superficial/light scratch to the clear coat, you're in a perfect position to polish it out afterwards.
It's up to the OP, but I personally would not polish a brand new car. Wax yes, but polish no.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #43
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
It's up to the OP, but I personally would not polish a brand new car. Wax yes, but polish no.
I personally wouldn't want to take the clear coat down on a new car too but if you take it to apply ppf or a ceramic coating, the shop is going to polish out scratches and swirls before applying anything. Also, chances are that the dealership already polished it before delivery. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I think the key is to be as meticulous as possible and polish it just enough to remove visible abrasions before applying a protection.

Last edited by fullstack; 03-06-2019 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #44
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Why would you seal a less than perfect finish? I clay, de-iron and polish every new car before applying a sealant. Cars don't just show up at the dealer in a plastic bubble, they're railed, shipped and trucked there, picking up lots of ferrous and non ferrous debris in the process. Even with single digit miles and pulling the white tape off myself, I've burned through most of a clay bar and used lots of iron-off to get the surface clean.
Appreciate 1
mbanks211266.00
Closed Thread