BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW X7 engine problems from DAY 1 - One week owner

05-25-2019, 05:23 AM   #1
houstontx
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

BMW X7 engine problems from DAY 1 - One week owner

Hi Folks,

Just got my customized and loaded X7 last Wednesday - for $125,000. Loaded + packed with extended warranties from BMW!

Next day I was driving with my wife and kids and the car started sputtering and Check Engine light came. We all panicked I took pictures and videos and sent to sales person at BMW dealership. They were like bring it over and we'll see and gave me assurances that this should not happen. I was like buying BMW's flagship at MSRP and seeing this problem the first day is such a disappointment. There was nothing in the iDrive system about any error.

I told the dealership that I can bring the car 2 days from then. When the time came, the Check Engine light went away by itself. I notified them and they said that because it was temporary, you should not be worried. The dealership's main worry was I guess getting a positive from the survey email I get from BMW in few days.

Now, after a week of *skeptical* driving, with around 550 total miles on it , I came to stop after a short ride. Then when I started, the car made loud bang sound and check engine light came again. This time car started acting differently than the first time the problem came. I stopped and started the car and the X7 keeps making loud bang noises upon starting! I made more videos of it! What the heck with the brand new X7 !!!@$*@$%

If I pay $125,000 for a car and such problems keep coming, then as a sane person, I believe I can't drive this car anymore with faulty engine. I strongly believe that similar problems in X7 WILL come down the road of my ownership. I don't want to repair a brand new car's engine - or drive a repaired brand new car!

I will take this to dealership tomorrow and will return this car as I can't drive this anymore. I believe BMW and dealership care about their reputation and they will handle the return of this X7 amicably.

Check out the pics and video. Hear the loud bang sounds. The diagnostics say everything is fine even with the check engine light and engine sounds!

check vimeo.com/338408571
check vimeo.com/338407724

What do you guys think? Did you have any problem in the first days/weeks of ownership? Is the brand new BMW X7 really so unreliable? BTW I am an ex-German resident and I am in shock.

Cheers

P.S. video embedding causing ssl error on the website. please copy paste the links on the right to watch the video.
Attached Images

Last edited by houstontx; 05-25-2019 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: video links
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:12 AM   #2
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstontx View Post
Hi Folks,

Just got my customized and loaded X7 last Wednesday - for $125,000. Loaded + packed with extended warranties from BMW!

Next day I was driving with my wife and kids and the car started sputtering and Check Engine light came. We all panicked I took pictures and videos and sent to sales person at BMW dealership. They were like bring it over and we'll see and gave me assurances that this should not happen. I was like buying BMW's flagship at MSRP and seeing this problem the first day is such a disappointment. There was nothing in the iDrive system about any error.

I told the dealership that I can bring the car 2 days from then. When the time came, the Check Engine light went away by itself. I notified them and they said that because it was temporary, you should not be worried. The dealership's main worry was I guess getting a positive from the survey email I get from BMW in few days.

Now, after a week of *skeptical* driving, with around 550 total miles on it , I came to stop after a short ride. Then when I started, the car made loud bang sound and check engine light came again. This time car started acting differently than the first time the problem came. I stopped and started the car and the X7 keeps making loud bang noises upon starting! I made more videos of it! What the heck with the brand new X7 !!!@$*@$%

If I pay $125,000 for a car and such problems keep coming, then as a sane person, I believe I can't drive this car anymore with faulty engine. I strongly believe that similar problems in X7 WILL come down the road of my ownership. I don't want to repair a brand new car's engine - or drive a repaired brand new car!

I will take this to dealership tomorrow and will return this car as I can't drive this anymore. I believe BMW care about their reputation and they will handle the return of this X7 amicably.

Check out the pics and video. Hear the loud bang sounds. The diagnostics say everything is fine even with the check engine light and engine sounds!

What do you guys think? Did you have any problem in the first days/weeks of ownership? Is the brand new BMW X7 really so unreliable? BTW I am an ex-German resident and I am in shock.

Cheers

P.S. video embedding causing ssl error on the website. please copy paste the links on the right to watch the video.
I'm Sorry to hear that. Nothing worse than the aggravation of warranty issues, your time and your frustration. Wish you the best. I'm sure they do the right thing by you. Hopefully it's something small and stupid
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #3
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstontx View Post
Hi Folks,

I will take this to dealership tomorrow and will return this car as I can't drive this anymore. I believe BMW care about their reputation and they will handle the return of this X7 amicably.

Cheers

I'm Sorry to hear that. Nothing worse than the aggravation of warranty issues, your time and your frustration. Wish you the best. I'm sure they do the right thing by you. Hopefully it's something small and stupid
Honestly, check your states lemon laws. If it persists they may be required to give you a new one as a replacement.
      05-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
djxilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 550xi, 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
Honestly, check your states lemon laws. If it persists they may be required to give you a new one as a replacement.
Second this. Read the TX lemon law provisions if you haven't already.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/cons...tion/lemon-law
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

I too am sorry to hear, but I wouldn’t sweat it too much. It might be a simple fix. You have an extended warranty so it’ll get fixed and be completely covered. If it persists, you’ve got lemon laws. I’d rather have this than fender bender.

I would have taken in the 1st time though. Even though the light went out, it should be logged in memory.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
drodnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7

I had these problems with my 2019 X5.. same engine/technology design as X7.
vehicle went to service three times within a month for similar issues. First time they changed a faulty module, second time they changed a drive belt that cracked, fell off and had me stranded on the highway with an overheated engine, third time it was a faulty comfort access and BC controls but was fixed with a software update. I pushed for a buy back and got it.

I've purchased more than five SUVs from BMW over the years and until now none of them gave me any problems. This new design has me very worried.

If my new X7 experiences the same thing, I honestly will leave BMW for good. I'm not going to waste my time going back and forth just because it's under warranty. It's embarrassing for a $100k vehicle.

My recommendation is to let them fix it but if you continue to experience issues take it back while you still can.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
Animal Farm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30/Volvo XC90II T6

Sorry to hear this man, I feel your frustration and anguish. With that said, and I know you don't want to hear this - these things do happen, I wish it didn't but they do, not surprisingly, many of the issues are software related.

I had an issue with my XC90 on the way home from the dealership as well, and needless to say I was furious... It turned out to be a software issue. It was corrected with a few updates. The dealership made it right by issuing me a check to cover my first payment.

I hope it is nothing major, keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
Max MK
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

houstontx,
I have exactly the same situation.

The day after buying my BMW X7 M50i, I was driving and the Check Engine light came on.
I gave the car to a dealership service center. They repaired for three days. Then they said now everything is ok.

But a week later, an engine error appeared again! Such an expensive car and such poor quality ... This is very bad for a brand like BMW.

Could you tell me how your story ended?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
ap453
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max MK View Post
houstontx,
I have exactly the same situation.

The day after buying my BMW X7 M50i, I was driving and the Check Engine light came on.
I gave the car to a dealership service center. They repaired for three days. Then they said now everything is ok.

But a week later, an engine error appeared again! Such an expensive car and such poor quality ... This is very bad for a brand like BMW.

Could you tell me how your story ended?
Wow, i have the same exact issue, got the car yesterday, told the dealer and i was told your fuel cap is not tight enough. Drive it for few days and it'll go away.

Did your check engine light go away? Any issues you are having?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #10
Max MK
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap453 View Post
Wow, i have the same exact issue, got the car yesterday, told the dealer and i was told your fuel cap is not tight enough. Drive it for few days and it'll go away.

Did your check engine light go away? Any issues you are having?
This error appeared twice during the month of operation of X7. The dealer said that this is a mistake of some VANOS unit. But I googled a lot of reviews and realized that this BMW engine is very problematic. I returned the car back to the dealer and asked for a full refund. I don’t have time to work for free as a BMW tester.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just an FYI...the CEL (check engine light) has nothing to do with the things the OP circled in the original post.

THE CEL is part of the 1996 OBD II federal mandate which is about reducing engine emissions. The light illuminates when one or more things associated with the car's emissions system has registered a fault twice. In most states (except California and Hawaii...and maybe Oregon(?)...if you don't have a simple OBD II reader or other OBD II scanner...you can simply hook the vehicle up to the scanner and retrieve the 5 digit DTC (diagnostic trouble code).

Since the internet and OBD II has been around since the mid 1990s...you can simply type the 5 digit DTC into google to get results of what set the CEL to come on...as well as examples of what usually can fix it.

The above comments is not to negate the issue that if you have a brand new vehicle...it shouldn't be doing this. And that your BMW (or other) dealership shouldn't fix it or at least look at it. But at least know that it is not an "engine" issue like the engine is getting ready to seize up or explode etc. If you pull the code using a scan tool, again...you can pin-point where the issue lies and then deduct or diagnose that area to see why the light may have come on.

On some of the new BMWs that have the active shutters (kidney grills)...there have been examples where the shutters have had issues (not opening or closing properly or getting stuck)...and this has caused a CEL due to the affect the shutters have on air metering. Incorrect or improper air metering can affect emissions thus cause the CEL to illuminate.

An example of the various emissions systems that can affect things and cause the CEL to illuminate...see the info below:

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0