BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Help with understanding what comes standard 'driving assistance' stuff please...

12-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
robininni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X535d (sold)

Help with understanding what comes standard 'driving assistance' stuff please...

Could someone please explain to me what sort of driving assistance things I get with an X7 M50i without the Driver Assistance Pro package and then what I get with it?

I'm interested in under which category all of these things fall under: dynamic cruise, lane keeping (both warning you or leaving the lane and/or automatically steering you to keep you in the lane), automatic braking to avoid crash, automatic swerving to avoid crash, automatic parallel parking, automatic normal parking, parking distance sensors, automatic steering at highway speeds, automatic steering at lower speeds, automatic driving in traffic jams...

I want to know what I am missing out on by not getting the Driver Assist Pro option and what I am getting without it. Do I already get something called Driver Assist, just not Pro?

Thanks for taking the time to help.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
Could someone please explain to me what sort of driving assistance things I get with an X7 M50i without the Driver Assistance Pro package and then what I get with it?

I'm interested in under which category all of these things fall under: dynamic cruise, lane keeping (both warning you or leaving the lane and/or automatically steering you to keep you in the lane), automatic braking to avoid crash, automatic swerving to avoid crash, automatic parallel parking, automatic normal parking, parking distance sensors, automatic steering at highway speeds, automatic steering at lower speeds, automatic driving in traffic jams...

I want to know what I am missing out on by not getting the Driver Assist Pro option and what I am getting without it. Do I already get something called Driver Assist, just not Pro?

Thanks for taking the time to help.
Parking stuff is parking package

The car has standard automatic braking with a mono vision camera

The driving assistant pro uses a trifocal camera and does all the good stuff like traffic jam assist auto lane change.

In my opinion both are must have options.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
robininni
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post

The driving assistant pro uses a trifocal camera and does all the good stuff like traffic jam assist auto lane change.

If I live in a outside of a small town (20,000 and rural, not a 'surburb' of a larger city area) and rarely travel to a metroplex, do I still benefit from the Driving Assist Pro? Or is this mainly city driving focused?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Quote:

If I live in a outside of a small town (20,000 and rural, not a 'surburb' of a larger city area) and rarely travel to a metroplex, do I still benefit from the Driving Assist Pro? Or is this mainly city driving focused?
You'll want it for highway usage. Set the cruise control to whatever you want and it speeds and speeds up slows down for you. Great for road trips. Where you live just set it for 100mph, it will work up to 116mph
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
robininni
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You'll want it for highway usage. Set the cruise control to whatever you want and it speeds and speeds up slows down for you. Great for road trips. Where you live just set it for 100mph, it will work up to 116mph
So radar cruise which came standard on my Toyota Tundra is not standard on the X7, only the Drive Assist Pro package?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
DenverMisanthrope
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i (ordered), 540i xDrive

Quote:
So radar cruise which came standard on my Toyota Tundra is not standard on the X7, only the Drive Assist Pro package?
Don't worry, the X7 comes with adaptive cruise control (or "dynamic cruise control," as BMW names it). The M50i also includes the parking stuff (it's offered as a separate package on the 40i, but it's included as standard on the M50i... and I believe the 50i too).

Without the "Driving Assistance Professional Package," you're basically just not going to have the stuff that lets the car steer itself (though you will still have lane departure warning) or the traffic jam feature that essentially lets the vehicle drive itself in slower moving traffic. Nor will it do the evasive steering maneuvers if it detects an impending collision.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 11:21 PM   #7
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

On the 40i, the X7 came with Active Driving Assistant:

Daytime Pedestrian Protection, Frontal Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation, Lane Departure Warning, Active Blind Spot Detection, and rear Cross Traffic Alert

As for Cruise Control, the standard setup does not include the ability to set a speed and have the car follow the speed of the car in front.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 11:38 PM   #8
DenverMisanthrope
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i (ordered), 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
As for Cruise Control, the standard setup does not include the ability to set a speed and have the car follow the speed of the car in front.
Oooh, I stand corrected. I'd assumed what BMW calls "Dynamic Cruise Control" was the same as every other manufacturer's "Adaptive Cruise Control," but it looks like DCC actually JUST slows the vehicle down on curves or brakes on steep downhill stretches when cruise control is on. "Active" Cruise Control is the one that all the other makers call Adaptive — and it's not standard. That sucks, but in my mind that pretty much makes the Driving Assistance Professional Package a necessity.
Appreciate 0