E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A few questions...

08-23-2005, 07:58 AM   #1
drednik
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

A few questions...

Hi all. I had a few questions. Hope people can clarify them for me.

1) What are water spots and what do they look like?

2) Does your dealer give you a loaner when you go in for service (e.g. software update, wheel re-alignment, etc.), or do you spring for a rental yourself?

3) Is there any way to test whether engine break-in was performed correctly on my car? Or a way to test performance quantitatively? Car's acceleration seems slower now, after 2000 km. I am not shoved into the seat anymore when flooring the throttle.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2005, 08:32 AM   #2
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drednik

2) Does your dealer give you a loaner when you go in for service (e.g. software update, wheel re-alignment, etc.), or do you spring for a rental yourself?

3) Is there any way to test whether engine break-in was performed correctly on my car? Or a way to test performance quantitatively? Car's acceleration seems slower now, after 2000 km. I am not shoved into the seat anymore when flooring the throttle.

Thanks.
1) Water spots are the residue in the water left on your paint if you allow water to dried on the painted surface. If your car has a good layer of wax, then it helps prevent water spot.

2) I think a car loaner is dependent on what kind of services you are getting and how long these services will take. Also, for my dealer, you have to make an appoinment to get a loaner. You can walk in for a service but you might not get a loaner if you do not let them know ahead of time and make a schedule. It all depends.

3) don't know...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
kronzprinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:

Thanks.
so you're telling us you didn't break in your car???? someone else did???
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
Hoenir
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330I

I think ur just getting used to the performance, Drive a 1.4 for a day again and ur 330i will feel like a Ferarri
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
drednik
Private
Rep

kronzprinz: No I broke it in myself. But I couldn't resist "redlining" the car several times during the break-in period. Just wondering if that did any damage.

Hoenir: You're probably right. What's a 1.4?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Hoenir: You're probably right. What's a 1.4?
A car with a 1.4 litre engine
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Chances are slim to none that you did any damage redlining during the "break-in" period. But I myself feel that it's all rubbish anyway. You should take it a little easy to get the surfaces mated together, but not coddle it for exactly on the dot 1250 miles and then the magic light turns on and it's safe to redline.

What you're probably noticing is the electronic throttle adapting to your driving style. I wish somebody'd find out what the throttle reset procedure was for the e90 already.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2005, 11:32 PM   #8
drednik
Private
Rep

Thanks for the comments. Anyway, I didn't start to redline until racking up about 1200 km.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2005, 11:39 PM   #9
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

There are lots of posts here about engine/tranny hesitation (though I guess it hasn't been that big of a concern, because I haven't seen the topic mentioned lately) but anyway, my car was REALLY bad as far as hesitation. I didn't understand why it was so slow, just coming off from a complete stop, like a red light.

Anyway, to make a long story short, if you noticed this hesitation at first but now it seems like it went away, that's a good indication that your car is broken-in (or it's on its way). 600 miles on my odometer and no more hesitation! As far as finding out if the car was broken-in properly by studying evidence, I'm not sure if you can. It's kind of a process where the car "learns" your driving style--at least that' what I've been told.
Appreciate 0