BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum iOS 13 Preview - New CarPlay Features

07-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #111
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 m850 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
Wait, I'm confused. Can you not access any web content when connected to CarPlay? When I'm connected to CarPlay, my internet connectivity on my phone is fully active. I can stream videos, go to websites, check mail etc etc. I haven't activated the wifi hotspot either.
No I cannot, and I was informed that you needed to use Wi-Fi as a component of wireless CarPlay... so I’m confused here... I guess I will go and delete everything and attempt BT only connection, but this did not work correctly when I initially tried (since at the start I was not aware the Wi-Fi was supposed to be enabled...)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #112
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
Most phones are smart enough to fallback to the LTE connection if the wireless network does not have internet.

My iPhone was able to do this while connected the BMW "WiFi Direct" network before activating the hotspot.

I have not experience the no internet issue unless I also had no LTE signal.
Little confused here...isn’t Wi-Fi direct the same as the activating Wi-Fi? Are there two Wi-Fi connection methods? One just for car play and the other for more generic Wi-Fi access (which itself would be meaningless unless you activate the Internet data plan)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #113
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrangster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
Wait, I'm confused. Can you not access any web content when connected to CarPlay? When I'm connected to CarPlay, my internet connectivity on my phone is fully active. I can stream videos, go to websites, check mail etc etc. I haven't activated the wifi hotspot either.
No I cannot, and I was informed that you needed to use Wi-Fi as a component of wireless CarPlay... so I’m confused here... I guess I will go and delete everything and attempt BT only connection, but this did not work correctly when I initially tried (since at the start I was not aware the Wi-Fi was supposed to be enabled...)
You do have to use WiFi as a component afaik. However if you are connected to WiFi and Cellular and the WiFi doesn't have internet it should fallback to Cellular for Internet.
      07-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #114
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
You do have to use WiFi as a component afaik. However if you are connected to WiFi and Cellular and the WiFi doesn't have internet it should fallback to Cellular for Internet.
You need Wifi

I tried with Wifi off, as in the above photo (after having deleted the phone from the car, deleted the Bluetooth entry in my iPhone and deleted the Wifi access point on the iPhone as well)

It would hang on the last step of configuring, which is where the handoff to wifi must be expected. Tried this three times. After enabling Wifi, I could connect. But then the iPhone is dead-ended with no Internet access. Thee phone does not fall back to Cellular when connected to a no-access wifi access point. I've tried this more than a dozen times, and all apps including Apple's fail with no internet access available.

The Sirius XM app issue was a local app setting - the new app does not have a System setting option un Settings > Cellular. In the app itself, there was an application setting that said use wifi only. Once I turned that off, streaming worked from CarPlay via cellular. But not from the phone itself. Nothing from the phone works when connected to the BMW Direct Wifi point

Last edited by Thrangster; 07-10-2019 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #115
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
BMW had me bring the X7 into the shop for a software update. I'm now at 03/2019.60

They said this update addresses the connectivity issues for iPhones. As I've posted on this thread several times, since updating to iOS 13 I have not encountered any additional connection issues but if I notice any other changes or improvements I'll update this post.
Just don't update to Beta 3 though. A very quick internet search reveals that iOS 13 Beta 3 has killed CarPlay across multiple car and car stereo manufacturers. Like you, iOS 13 Beta 2 worked flawless for me as well before I upgraded to Beta 3....
So, I apparently just fixed my IOS 13 B3 issue by....I shit you not.....disabling "Bold Text"

Settings > Display & Brightness > Bold Text

Try disabling it if it is enabled. CarPlay connected immediately upon starting the car and I was able to switch to it and play music and a few other apps with no issue. It also seemed snappier than before.

Credit to this thread:
https://reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/comment...public_beta_2/
      07-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #116
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrangster View Post
You need Wifi

I tried with Wifi off, as in the above photo (after having deleted the phone from the car, deleted the Bluetooth entry in my iPhone and deleted the Wifi access point on the iPhone as well)

It would hang on the last step of configuring, which is where the handoff to wifi must be expected. Tried this three times. After enabling Wifi, I could connect. But then the iPhone is dead-ended with no Internet access. Thee phone does not fall back to Cellular when connected to a no-access wifi access point. I've tried this more than a dozen times, and all apps including Apple's fail with no internet access available.

The Sirius XM app issue was a local app setting - the new app does not have a System setting option un Settings > Cellular. In the app itself, there was an application setting that said use wifi only. Once I turned that off, streaming worked from CarPlay via cellular. But not from the phone itself. Nothing from the phone works when connected to the BMW Direct Wifi point
I just went out and double-checked. My iPhone is connected to the DIRECT network, Wifi is enabled in the car, phone does not show logo of being on Wifi (so I think it knows that the CarPlay wifi is special), and I have full internet access to all internet traffic with all apps etc. What steps did you take to set up CarPlay?

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #117
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

MacRumors just posted this video:

Appreciate 0