BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Comparison review by owner who has both a 2018 M2 and a 2019 M2 Competition

05-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #177
Jagudelo12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Is there really NOOOOO Video out right now of
OG m2 and M2C side by side 0-60 or 1/4 mile?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:05 PM   #178
grinch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagudelo12 View Post
Is there really NOOOOO Video out right now of
OG m2 and M2C side by side 0-60 or 1/4 mile?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 01:24 AM   #179
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I'm guessing they got the weight including the driver?

S55 was the lightest car when lined up.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #180
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post
Since this thread is pointless and has been likened to a rap battle by Artemis all I’m going to add is

Fuck the S55 and the clique you claim
AAAwwww, another OG M2 owner hating life right now...
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
natmad667.00
      05-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #181
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
AAAwwww, another OG M2 owner hating life right now...
I actually love life because i have an ESS M2.

no complaints here. sorry you don't understand the premise of my joke you quoted lol

edit- I'd also dust your shit
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #182
M3GymNut
Major
Rep

Quote:
edit- I'd also dust your shit
How so?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #183
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How so?
Because you’ll throw a CEL after a couple laps lol
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #184
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
How so?
Because you'll throw a CEL after a couple laps lol
Lol spoken from someone who probably has never actually tracked the S55..... okay bro, you do you hardo.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #185
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch View Post
That's not an M2C. (Sarcasm)

Last edited by ChrisK; 05-11-2019 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #186
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
How so?
Because you'll throw a CEL after a couple laps lol
You sound pretty bitter, bro..

And you have it in reverse; if emotions didn't cloud your common sense, you would realize that obviously the vehicle with more power/headroom would least likely throw a MIL than a motor (N55) that's boosted to edge of its capacity.

If you want to rag on the M2C, it's usually safer to pick on the low hanging fruits; like its weight, sound, or my favorite, its lack of adaptive suspension.

Better of luck next time on your attempted "disses." I suggest more practice to sharpen up your trolling game 💪🏻
Appreciate 3
natmad667.00
MDuckie93.00
BlkSVT388.50
      05-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #187
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch View Post
That's not an M2C.
One of those cars is...? Why do you say it's not? You know in the EU certain options we get in the US aren't standard right?
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #188
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
One of those cars is...? Why do you say it's not? You know in the EU certain options we get in the US aren't standard right?
I was being sarcastic. ..and I am very familiar with all the options US vs. EUR, I think most here are.
      05-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #189
M3GymNut
Major
Rep

Quote:
Because you’ll throw a CEL after a couple laps lol
Poor guy
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #190
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was being sarcastic. ..and I am very familiar with all the options US vs. EUR, I think most here are.
? Explain the sarcasm in your original post then....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:54 AM   #191
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The M2C in the video is DCT. Everyone seems to crap on DCT.
      05-11-2019, 06:05 AM   #192
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
That's not an M2C.
From 3:30 that's definitely an M2 Comp.

(broken sarcasmometer I see)

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #193
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep

https://youtu.be/41qC3w3UUkU

For reference:

Secondly, I don’t care about your late model elitism. The M2 CS crowd will be doing the same exact things you are TRYING to do above. And then the G series crowd: and so on. No one cares, and you aren’t seeing or feeling the difference on a day to day basis.

Not getting baited into this narrative by a group of douchers from a rap reference. Fight me
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #194
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The M2C in the video is DCT. Everyone seems to crap on DCT.
Got it. Man that joke had some legs on it.
Appreciate 1
silverds337.00
      05-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #195
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Slipped up and found this... interesting!
(https://carbuzz.com/cars/bmw/m2)

“The M2 Competition tilts the focus more towards race track performance so we have increased the amount of content from the M3/M4 models,” explained Dirk Häcker, BMW M’s VP of Engineering. Given that the bodyshell and front and rear inner structure was already modified to accept the M3/M4 suspension and wide rubber no further work was required here apart from stiffening the front end.
“Since the track is identical to the M3/M4 carbon-fiber engine compartment brace bolted straight in. This significantly reduces torsional flex in the engine compartment ‘box’ and keeps the front suspension geometry closer to spec under load,” he said. “We experimented with variations of the M2 spring and damper rates but found that with the improved front-end stiffness the original settings were ideal,” explained Peter Schmid, Project Manager for Driving Dynamics. “This is the first time ever in my career that this has happened, and all we needed, in the end, was some software recalibration of the control electronics.”

Well.. that should settle it. We can all go look at the photos section now, as this debate will surely end.

Appreciate 12
cptobvious2531.50
M-Azing19.50
KevinM2935.50
silverds337.00
Artemis29417.50
Robin_NL8717.00
BlkSVT388.50
Altra265.50
O Haiii191.50
      05-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #196
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Oh, more interesting information here...
(https://drivetribe.com/p/the-bmw-m2-...Q8i12t-CD2dViQ)

On the subject of weight balance, the M2C’s balance between the front and rear has shifted slightly to the front. The main reason is of course the engine, but this is not the complete story when it comes to the subject of handling. To explain the true story of what was changed, I sat down with the chief engineer of BMW M at Ascari to run down the list of mechanical changes to the setup of the car allowing us to analyze the sheer brilliance of its new handling characteristics.

First of all, the Germans added a series of parts to the car but didn’t touch the spring rates or the suspension struts. With regards to the suspension hardware nothing was changed. A new front strut brace (combinatino of a bulkheat strut & CFRP strut) from the M3/M4 allows for a much improved stiffness, a noticeable more precise turn-in and better balance at high speed. The front has a tendency of communicating its lower amount of understeer better to the driver allowing yourself to minimize it where you can. The rear bushings for the suspension mounting points keep the rear better in line with the direction of the front.

In order to ensure extremely precise wheel location, play-free ball joints are used to transmit transverse forces, similarly to the base M2. The longitudinal forces passing through the chassis are transmitted into the torque struts directly via special elastomer bearings, which simultaneously deliver the desired rolling comfort. A noticeable difference is the decreased level of roll under turn-in, one of the M2’s noticeable flaws. According to the chief engineer, the steering software was finetuned to allow for a more precise turn-in using less lock on the steering wheel and therefore producing less roll.

Sheer brilliance of the M2 Competition is encompassed by another software change. The Germans tuned the MDM and oh good lord they have done a super job, it is the tasteful cherry on the chubby cake. Based on the M3/M4 CS MDM software, the engineers have developed a set up that allows you to lean on the traction of the rears and your steering lock in an immensely smooth, safe and non-intrusive way. The more open nature of the available playing room at the rear remembered me of the times I drove a E46 M3 (My M benchmark) aggressively. It is so lovely balanced and offers so much more sideslip that it becomes a challenging and playful game between you as a driver and the MDM who will win. In the end, it is an addictive game with the M2C in Sport Plus trying to lure you in with a rewarding present you cannot refuse, while you also know it will tell you “until here and no further” when you become too greedy.

The ability to lean on this open window within its suspension set up and not on its available powerband is what I want to see in a M car. I don’t need tons of horsepower, I need sheer brilliance through my hands on the wheel and my butt in the seat, and that is exactly what this car is able to do. The level in which it puts a M smile on your face and lets you scream of joy behind the wheel is an experience I do not often have any more behind the wheel of a car. Subsequently, it also lets you completely forget the worries about its chubbiness.

I’m done now.

Appreciate 7
silverds337.00
MDuckie93.00
cptobvious2531.50
BlkSVT388.50
pz6193278.50
clee1982797.50
      05-12-2019, 07:24 PM   #197
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Slipped up and found this... interesting!
(https://carbuzz.com/cars/bmw/m2)

“The M2 Competition tilts the focus more towards race track performance so we have increased the amount of content from the M3/M4 models,” explained Dirk Häcker, BMW M’s VP of Engineering. Given that the bodyshell and front and rear inner structure was already modified to accept the M3/M4 suspension and wide rubber no further work was required here apart from stiffening the front end.
“Since the track is identical to the M3/M4 carbon-fiber engine compartment brace bolted straight in. This significantly reduces torsional flex in the engine compartment ‘box’ and keeps the front suspension geometry closer to spec under load,” he said. “We experimented with variations of the M2 spring and damper rates but found that with the improved front-end stiffness the original settings were ideal,” explained Peter Schmid, Project Manager for Driving Dynamics. “This is the first time ever in my career that this has happened, and all we needed, in the end, was some software recalibration of the control electronics.”

Well.. that should settle it. We can all go look at the photos section now, as this debate will surely end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Oh, more interesting information here...
(https://drivetribe.com/p/the-bmw-m2-...Q8i12t-CD2dViQ)

On the subject of weight balance, the M2C’s balance between the front and rear has shifted slightly to the front. The main reason is of course the engine, but this is not the complete story when it comes to the subject of handling. To explain the true story of what was changed, I sat down with the chief engineer of BMW M at Ascari to run down the list of mechanical changes to the setup of the car allowing us to analyze the sheer brilliance of its new handling characteristics.

First of all, the Germans added a series of parts to the car but didn’t touch the spring rates or the suspension struts. With regards to the suspension hardware nothing was changed. A new front strut brace (combination of a bulkhead strut & CFRP strut) from the M3/M4 allows for a much improved stiffness, a noticeable more precise turn-in and better balance at high speed. The front has a tendency of communicating its lower amount of understeer better to the driver allowing yourself to minimize it where you can. The rear bushings for the suspension mounting points keep the rear better in line with the direction of the front.

In order to ensure extremely precise wheel location, play-free ball joints are used to transmit transverse forces, similarly to the base M2. The longitudinal forces passing through the chassis are transmitted into the torque struts directly via special elastomer bearings, which simultaneously deliver the desired rolling comfort. A noticeable difference is the decreased level of roll under turn-in, one of the M2’s noticeable flaws. According to the chief engineer, the steering software was finetuned to allow for a more precise turn-in using less lock on the steering wheel and therefore producing less roll.

Sheer brilliance of the M2 Competition is encompassed by another software change. The Germans tuned the MDM and oh good lord they have done a super job, it is the tasteful cherry on the chubby cake. Based on the M3/M4 CS MDM software, the engineers have developed a set up that allows you to lean on the traction of the rears and your steering lock in an immensely smooth, safe and non-intrusive way. The more open nature of the available playing room at the rear remembered me of the times I drove a E46 M3 (My M benchmark) aggressively. It is so lovely balanced and offers so much more sideslip that it becomes a challenging and playful game between you as a driver and the MDM who will win. In the end, it is an addictive game with the M2C in Sport Plus trying to lure you in with a rewarding present you cannot refuse, while you also know it will tell you “until here and no further” when you become too greedy.

The ability to lean on this open window within its suspension set up and not on its available powerband is what I want to see in a M car. I don’t need tons of horsepower, I need sheer brilliance through my hands on the wheel and my butt in the seat, and that is exactly what this car is able to do. The level in which it puts a M smile on your face and lets you scream of joy behind the wheel is an experience I do not often have any more behind the wheel of a car. Subsequently, it also lets you completely forget the worries about its chubbiness.

I’m done now.

And so the "M2C suspension parts are different but BMW kept the same OG M2 part numbers" speculative theory was bound to spend its further life in "debunked car stories" heaven.
Poochie9104.50
silverds337.00
BlkSVT388.50
O Haiii191.50
clee1982797.50
      05-12-2019, 11:58 PM   #198
silverds
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: you up a wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
And so the "M2C suspension parts are different but BMW kept the same OG M2 part numbers" speculative theory was bound to spend its further life in "debunked car stories" heaven.
The "BMW knows the S55 crank hubs are flawed but wants you to buy a new Bimmer" story must be going to "the other place".
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00