E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > USB Integration with a USB key

09-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Randar
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328IX Touring

Question USB Integration with a USB key

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum, so re-posting here.

I just picked up a CPO 2009 BMW 328 IX Touring from BMW Toronto. It comes with the USB integration, without iDrive, and I'm getting very mixed messages about it. My question is, should I be able to just plug in a USB key, with some music and play it? The extra manual that comes with the car implies it. I've tried putting in my USB Key, and the radio just says "insert key" when I try to select it. When I bought it, the people there said some things that suprised me:
1) For 2009, it was iPod or nothing. You need a Y cable for it to work, which they gave me for free.
2) For the USB keys to work, you need a very recent 2011.

I have an iPad (not iPod) and just tried it with the Y cable and no luck.
I have a "better" USB key at work, so was going to try that after the weekend.

If a USB key does not work, I guess I need to track down a used iPad on Ebay or something.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
gtarealtor
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I can't answer all your questions but a USB stick with music should work with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtarealtor View Post
I can't answer all your questions but a USB stick with music should work with no problems.
+1 I do it frequently with my 2008 335, just plug into the USB port in the console. You don't get much in the way of control over what plays, or song lists, etc., but the music WILL play just fine.

One question to OP, though -- what format are your music files in? MP3 or AAC both work on mine, other formats not so well.

Best thing is to have just one folder with the music in it on the memory stick.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
dryicerx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Which USB port are you using? There are two, one in the glovebox and the other in the center console armrest between the seats (you need to use this one).
Appreciate 0