BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

My perspective... G35 to 135...

Okay... I am not going to write yet another review on the 135 but I will give a lil perspective from a former 2005 G35 6mt coupe owner who had some doubts that he was " upgrading" when going to the 135...
I was very worried that the 135 was a bunch of hype and not the real deal...I kept thinking that maybe everyone who had driven the 135 had not driven a "real " sports car and was comparing a Hyundai to it and that was where we were getting these stellar reviews from... well I have had two weeks with the car now and although I am still in break-in mode I can tell you that this car is a Rock Star...:biggrin: I had absolutely loved the fact that when I put my foot down in my G I wld pretty much pull away from almost every car that was with me on the open road... well with the 135 that pretty much every car became EVERY car... now I am not saying I can now run with high horsepower 8 cylinder cars.. but I am talking about all that other cars..the ones that used to have just enough HP to be a pest but now with the 135 look stupid...Now I don't want to get into a debate about racing on public roads and that is not what I do...often:smile: but I am talking about getting into that "pissing match" with another car every so often and being able to pull away from them and then have them come up along side of you and give you that look of "damn that car boogies"... Well the 135 is that and a lot more... I finally got to take the car out to some challenging roads and man I can not say enough about just how well it handles... the one big gripe about my G35 was that I always felt like the car was unstable at speed in corners and that the ass end was going to fly out at anytime... which did happen a cpl times...the 135 was insane in the turns.. I can not say enough how well it handled the turns at high speeds... it was on a fukin track.. I had to reign it in when I looked over at my wife and she was white as a sheet and holding on to the " oh shit" handles for dear life... I on the other hand never felt like the car was unstable at all and I know for a fact that I cld have taken those same turns a lot harder if I were alone and not worrying about her..

In closing the only thing I really miss about my G is the exhaust note... the 135 sounds great but the G has definitely got the exhaust note perfected....
Hands down this car is unbelievable... I have never had a turbo car and the twin turbos on the 135 are insane... I still can not believe how fast it accelerates....

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
runNgun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Good write up. Nice to get a owner's comparison with the G35, which I always thought was a great looking car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Nice. I also always liked the G35 coupe. The new G37S just looks strange. And it looks as if Infiniti is using the new front style on many of their vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
imported_moto_za
Private
Rep
Drives:

nice review, love the looks and exhaust of the g35
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

nice write up, my previous car was a modified 03.5 G Sedan. Can you compare the loudness(intake/exhaust) of the two cars with the windows closed/open. Is the 135i exhaust note comparable in loudness?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
topvega
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm95 View Post
nice write up, my previous car was a modified 03.5 G Sedan. Can you compare the loudness(intake/exhaust) of the two cars with the windows closed/open. Is the 135i exhaust note comparable in loudness?
My G was a lot louder then my 135 is. I am getting ready to try the "golf tee" mod and see if that helps a bit...
Don't get me wrong the 135 has a nice rich sound at times but the G was loud and aggressive sounding all the time it seemed... with the windows rolled up the 135 exhaust is pretty quiet unless you really get on the throttle a bit...IMO

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
imported_moto_za
Private
Rep
Drives:

anything else that you liked more in the G than the 135? I was thinking of getting a g35 c 6mt 2004 w/brembos?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
topvega
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto_za View Post
anything else that you liked more in the G than the 135? I was thinking of getting a g35 c 6mt 2004 w/brembos?
Honestly there is nothing other then the exhaust note that I liked more in the G then the 135...here is just a few things that are better in the 135..

The 135 has way more trunk space...
I can't speak for the brembos in the 2004 because I had a 2005 without them but the brakes on the 135 are unbelievable...
The sport seats are way more comfortable in the 135 and they seem to fit your body like a glove...
and the two most important things are that the 135 blows the G away in power and handling... it is not even close... I have not even really gotten on the throttle because I am still in break in and the car is rocket fast... I have only touched 5000 rpm while launching of the line and I can tell the car is faster to 60 then my G was when I ran it hard to high rpm's...
Handling wise the 135 takes hard turns and twisties with speed while never even giving a thought to throwing the ass end out... the G was always feeling like it wanted to lose traction in the ass end and it it did on me on several occasions... and I had the sport suspension pkg on the G but it still wasn't that stable in turns at speed...

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
Jumpman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: .

It's funny that so many people wish for a louder exhaust from the 135 because that was one of the key selling points for me -- how QUIET the car is (for a "sports" car). To me the muted exhaust it has is perfect. A loud enough purr to let know it's there, without spoiling the ride :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

i had the g35 6mt, so I got the sport suspension base. i liked that the G had a LSD (that's what made the ass loose traction so quick btw but its better for powering out of turns), i like that the G had no sunroof, the look of the G was very compelling at the time i bought it, i liked the 19" rays rims it came with, i like that it came with power seats, 5 disc mp3 changer, heated seats and compass as base.

the 135 is much better overall but it also costs an extra 10gs. oh yea, the favorite thing about the G- it was JAPANESE! So i didn't have to worry about, fuel pump failure, wastegate failure, etc etc that for some reason expensive ass german engineering can't seem to figure out.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
topvega
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
i had the g35 6mt, so I got the sport suspension base. i liked that the G had a LSD (that's what made the ass loose traction so quick btw but its better for powering out of turns), i like that the G had no sunroof, the look of the G was very compelling at the time i bought it, i liked the 19" rays rims it came with, i like that it came with power seats, 5 disc mp3 changer, heated seats and compass as base.

the 135 is much better overall but it also costs an extra 10gs. oh yea, the favorite thing about the G- it was JAPANESE! So i didn't have to worry about, fuel pump failure, wastegate failure, etc etc that for some reason expensive ass german engineering can't seem to figure out.
My 05 G coupe was fully loaded and I paid more for it then my 135...
I don't miss the power seats at all... they sucked ass..way to slow and the position of the seat release was designed by an ass clown... I will take the manual seats on the 135 any day over the power seats in the G...
The 19 inch rims were sweet but the 250 bucks per tire to put on them were costly... as for the 5 disc mp3 changer ..yeah that was cool at the time but it's 2008 and the aux in line (which the G did not have) is way better because now I don't have to deal with discs at all... I just leave my Zune in there and have access to all of my music without the hassle of putting discs in and out... I doubt I ever use the cd/mp3 player in my 135...
As far as the G being Japanese.. yeah it is but I had my share of problems with it... trunk release just stopped working and guess what... there is no key hole to access the trunk...duh!!! and the rear seat release is also in the trunk... so when it broke and I got a flat I cld not gain access to the donut... I had to drive home on the flat which ruined the 250 dollar brand new tire.... also had issues with the pop up nav screen... so it being Japanese means shit...The G coupe looked great... looked.. because it is pretty ugly in my opinion right now as the G37...

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

exhaust note on 135 can be easily fixed with an afetrmarket one.
Vishnu? Eisen****?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #13
topvega
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
exhaust note on 135 can be easily fixed with an afetrmarket one.
Vishnu? Eisen****?
Oh no doubt there are after market solutions to that but it was nice to buy a car with the sweetest exhaust note stock... if I cld some how get the same exact exhaust not for my 135 as I had on the G I wld in a heart beat....

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
cman321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

exhaust note outside the car in a G sounds great....but inside the car, I thought the engine sounded coarse and crude (to go along w/the course Stick shift and clutch action).

Since I drive from inside the car, i think the 135i has the G beat here as well
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by topvega View Post
My 05 G coupe was fully loaded and I paid more for it then my 135...
I don't miss the power seats at all... they sucked ass..way to slow and the position of the seat release was designed by an ass clown... I will take the manual seats on the 135 any day over the power seats in the G...
The 19 inch rims were sweet but the 250 bucks per tire to put on them were costly... as for the 5 disc mp3 changer ..yeah that was cool at the time but it's 2008 and the aux in line (which the G did not have) is way better because now I don't have to deal with discs at all... I just leave my Zune in there and have access to all of my music without the hassle of putting discs in and out... I doubt I ever use the cd/mp3 player in my 135...
As far as the G being Japanese.. yeah it is but I had my share of problems with it... trunk release just stopped working and guess what... there is no key hole to access the trunk...duh!!! and the rear seat release is also in the trunk... so when it broke and I got a flat I cld not gain access to the donut... I had to drive home on the flat which ruined the 250 dollar brand new tire.... also had issues with the pop up nav screen... so it being Japanese means shit...The G coupe looked great... looked.. because it is pretty ugly in my opinion right now as the G37...
interesting, i got the base g35 because it was pretty well equiped. i loved the seats in the G. if it had come with crank seats covered in vinyl i would not have. if you think the 250 per tire was expensive, wait till you find out how much the 135 tires cost. but i do hate the look of the g37. i was actually looking at g35 sedans before i got the 135. the G did have its quirks, like suspension clicking and some issues with the a/c. But things like fuel pump going and making your car shut down wherever you happen to be (maybe in an intersection?), is pretty bad. And the 08 335's are still doing it.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #16
topvega
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
interesting, i got the base g35 because it was pretty well equiped. i loved the seats in the G. if it had come with crank seats covered in vinyl i would not have. if you think the 250 per tire was expensive, wait till you find out how much the 135 tires cost. but i do hate the look of the g37. i was actually looking at g35 sedans before i got the 135. the G did have its quirks, like suspension clicking and some issues with the a/c. But things like fuel pump going and making your car shut down wherever you happen to be (maybe in an intersection?), is pretty bad. And the 08 335's are still doing it.
Tires for the 135 are going for as much as a 100 bucks less a tire then I had to pay for the G...
I paid like 260 bucks a tire for winter tires and the 135's go for as low as 112 bucks a piece... at tire rack

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #17
adam135aoc
adam_txGarage
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 850CSi

that's one thing I went back and forth on.. G37s or 135i ??? But the winner to everyone I talk to is still the 135i ... I was just worried the 300hp wouldn't be enough... But AC got 360 out of the engine with just a few mods so I'm down with that
Appreciate 0