BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Climate Control Rules

03-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #1
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Climate Control Rules

I really like the "Climate Control Rules" option that this vehicle has. However, why don't they have the same options for the passenger?

I can set my seat heating/ventilation and heated steering wheel rules based on the outside temperature. It's odd that it shows "Driver" when you select the rules but not "Passenger".

This really sucks because my wife is always freaking cold and she has to activate the seat heaters every time she gets in the car. This is ridiculous considering that the vehicle knows when someone is sitting in the front passenger seat since the car tells me to get in the carpool lane when I'm using the NAV if there is someone in the passenger seat.

Perhaps this doesn't work for me because of the software version that I'm on. I'm currently running version 07/2019.59. Does anyone else have the option to set the "Climate Control Rules" for the front passenger on your vehicle?

The android app and the web based owners manual don't have any reference regarding "Climate Control Rules". I haven't checked the onboard digital owner's manual but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not listed there either.

Get your shit together BMW!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 11:58 PM   #2
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Well the car knows which person is in the drivers seat based on which key is used, so a rule can be tied to a key. But the car has no way of knowing who is in the passenger seat. So it's less useful to have rules for passengers since it can't know if its the same passenger.
Now it would be nice if they can tie it to maybe the passenger seat memory or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
However, why don't they have the same options for the passenger?
I had options for both sides until the most current idrive firmware was installed. Originally there were policies set for certain temperatures to activate cooling and or heating for either side. Now it only shows an option create a policy for the driver. There still isn't a steering wheel heat option despite the 5 and 7 having it.
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      03-28-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
This is ridiculous considering that the vehicle knows when someone is sitting in the front passenger seat since the car tells me to get in the carpool lane when I'm using the NAV if there is someone in the passenger seat.
Really? side note, but I didn't know about that feature. Kinda cool.

Maybe in the future there will be a little sniffer there, that will identify if your passenger is a known companion.

"Good morning, Dave. Would you like to set your passenger seat for your mistress today?"
Appreciate 1
Al Pinγ1838.50
      03-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
This is ridiculous considering that the vehicle knows when someone is sitting in the front passenger seat since the car tells me to get in the carpool lane when I'm using the NAV if there is someone in the passenger seat.

Maybe in the future there will be a little sniffer there, that will identify if your passenger is a known companion.

"Good morning, Dave. Would you like to set your passenger seat for your mistress today?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:

^^^this guy. We're all in 2020 and this guys running around in 2099!^^^
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I had options for both sides until the most current idrive firmware was installed. Originally there were policies set for certain temperatures to activate cooling and or heating for either side. Now it only shows an option create a policy for the driver. There still isn't a steering wheel heat option despite the 5 and 7 having it.
What version where you on when you had the option and what version are you currently on?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #7
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

2019.41 (iirc)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #8
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
2019.41 (iirc)
I'm at 11.2019.50 and it's there for all 3 rows plus the steering and the arm rest.
Though it's a work around for the arm rest and steering you have to link them together from the heating options and then link the seats heating to them from the conditional and you get all 3 rows setting temp to auto activate on start up.
I just did it this afternoon while playing around with settings trying to find that digital key 🔑 feature on my iPhone which I'm guessing is an android feature now.
      03-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #9
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
I'm at 11.2019.50 and it's there for all 3 rows plus the steering and the arm rest.
Though it's a work around for the arm rest and steering you have to link them together from the heating options and then link the seats heating to them from the conditional and you get all 3 rows setting temp to auto activate on start up.
I just did it this afternoon while playing around with settings trying to find that digital key �� feature on my iPhone which I'm guessing is an android feature now.
+1. I have the same software version as well and found this while poking around a bit...

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      06-12-2020, 02:23 AM   #10
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I saw a picture of the passenger side Climate Control Rules here somewhere on this forum. I've been searching all over bimmerpost for the thread that had the picture but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Anyone have a link to the post with the picture in it?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #11
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I saw a picture of the passenger side Climate Control Rules here somewhere on this forum. I've been searching all over bimmerpost for the thread that had the picture but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Anyone have a link to the post with the picture in it?
Here it is, with more info in the thread after that post. I have been following this too, still deciding if I want to code it on....

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1155

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Here it is, with more info in the thread after that post. I have been following this too, still deciding if I want to code it on....

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1155
Thanks but I think that's only part of the settings I was looking for. Below is what it looks like currently for the driver. I thought I found a post that actually showed the top level "Climate Control Rules" that listed both the Driver and Passenger.

I asked Stephan from BimmerCode about it and he said he didn't think it was possible.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #13
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks but I think that's only part of the settings I was looking for. Below is what it looks like currently for the driver. I thought I found a post that actually showed the top level "Climate Control Rules" that listed both the Driver and Passenger.

I asked Stephan from BimmerCode about it and he said he didn't think it was possible.

Well, that post does show the iDrive 7 menu for Climate Control rules with both the Driver and Passenger options available. In stock form, there is only a Driver option as you already know. I believe the rest of that thread has the additional parameters to turn on this functionality via coding for the front passenger.

That is the only thread where I have seen coding this functionality discussed. What else were you thinking of?

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #14
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, that post does show the iDrive 7 menu for Climate Control rules with both the Driver and Passenger options available. In stock form, there is only a Driver option as you already know. I believe the rest of that thread has the additional parameters to turn on this functionality via coding for the front passenger.

That is the only thread where I have seen coding this functionality discussed. What else were you thinking of?
Actually, I think what you're referring to isn't "Climate Control Rules". I think it's "Seat and Armrest Heating" which is not located under the "Climate Control Rules".

I could also have been confused when I first saw your referenced post thinking it was under the "Climate Control Rules" option. This is my first BMW so it's all new to me. Perhaps, I got confused and thought this was a part of the "Climate Control Rules" which it isn't. Additionally, I thought I saw someone reference coding it with Esys or Esysx.
Attached Images

Last edited by mitch57; 06-12-2020 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
TBH, I might be "merging" the different functionality as well. I went out to my X7 to take a closer look. The screens for seat heating/armrest and climate rules are similar, but not the same as the pics in this thread. Not surprising as there are several different seating configurations and iDrive 7 has slightly different menus for all of them.

All that said, I do still plan to look into getting the climate rules turned on for the front passenger as I also remember seeing some coding info for that functionality.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #16
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
TBH, I might be "merging" the different functionality as well. I went out to my X7 to take a closer look. The screens for seat heating/armrest and climate rules are similar, but not the same as the pics in this thread. Not surprising as there are several different seating configurations and iDrive 7 has slightly different menus for all of them.

All that said, I do still plan to look into getting the climate rules turned on for the front passenger as I also remember seeing some coding info for that functionality.
Let me know when you code yours and if you think it's worth it maybe I'll do mine too.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      12-18-2021, 01:02 PM   #17
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

Quote:
I really like the "Climate Control Rules" option that this vehicle has. However, why don't they have the same options for the passenger?

I can set my seat heating/ventilation and heated steering wheel rules based on the outside temperature. It's odd that it shows "Driver" when you select the rules but not "Passenger".

This really sucks because my wife is always freaking cold and she has to activate the seat heaters every time she gets in the car. This is ridiculous considering that the vehicle knows when someone is sitting in the front passenger seat since the car tells me to get in the carpool lane when I'm using the NAV if there is someone in the passenger seat.

Perhaps this doesn't work for me because of the software version that I'm on. I'm currently running version 07/2019.59. Does anyone else have the option to set the "Climate Control Rules" for the front passenger on your vehicle?

The android app and the web based owners manual don't have any reference regarding "Climate Control Rules". I haven't checked the onboard digital owner's manual but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not listed there either.

Why don’t x5 and x7 have it when my 21 x3 did. Bs indeed.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #18
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

Quote:

Look on X5 forum. Same problem and several mention the codes needed for turning this on.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 11:04 PM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrazdan View Post
Quote:

Why don't x5 and x7 have it when my 21 x3 did. Bs indeed.
Coding needed.
All iDrive7 have it disabled.
I have been coding it to many forum members even my own 2021 G05 X5.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 08:23 PM   #20
witzfl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Previous 540i, 325e

Garage List
I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct post but it is the first one I see where coding is discussing something I am in interested in coding.

I currently have G30 and have coded with Bimmercode. I am getting X7 40i in about a month or so. I have compiled a list of coding options, and some require advanced setting or eSYS.

I have spent many hours trying to find out and do the eSYS downloads and stuff but I just keep going to different websites and downloading stuff that doesn't open, so I am wondering how I can get eSYS mods done by someone? Is there a list of what the advanced numbers in bimmercode are for, specifically flash brake lights, I see G05 has it??

Jeff
witzfl@gmail.com
My list is below to see if anyone can help when I get Delivery.

Thank you all.

1 AUTO STOP START
2 Fog lights off with high beam, leave on(deactivate)
3 Tire Pressure and Temperature
4 Automatic Passenger mirror tilt value, 30%(?)
5 Window lifter interruption when opening a door
6 Seat heating/cooling setting memory unit
7 Video In Motion
8 Video via USB
9 Lock/Unlock Sounds & Duration
10 5 Flash Single Touch Turn
11 ASD OFF
12 Open AND close the tailgate from the driver's door
13 Open AND close the tailgate from remote
14 Max audio on start up
15 Rain-light-sensor sensitivity
16 Seat Heat Cooling Timing off
17 Anti Dazzle
18 Brake Flash when Applied - what number and steps in expert mode do I use
19 Increase vented seat fan speed
20 Seat temp control rules for Passenger & Rear, steering
21 Massage timing on off
LATER lower when in park to low setting

( I think 1 - 16 can be done with bimmercode not sure of the others, eSYS has my head spinning??

Thank you all for reading this. Please let me know if correct thread/post of if it should be somewhere else

Jeff
witzfl@gmail.com
Appreciate 0