BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Ceramic coating or other ways of protecting your paint?

04-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #67
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL311U View Post
I've used Executive Detail for years to keep the M3, my boat, and a few race cars cleaned up. They do paint correction and detailing for me. I looked at Extreme Colors and some others, but got pretty good reviews of IGL from a buddy who is an FI Manager at a dealership.

The pricing was fairly consistent for everyone. Around $1k for the basic workup and around $1500 for the longer-lasting coatings and to coat the suspension/inner "barrels" of the wheels.

I also liked that the cost at Executive Detail included compounding out any swirls, doing paint correction, and then doing a cured-on coating in a paint booth.

I've heard really good things about Extreme Colors as well, just no long-term relationship with them.

What was most shocking is the condition of the pain post-PCD delivery. There were some pretty major scratches and swirls already in the paint (about 22 miles on the car when I took it in). (I'll see if I can get the "before and after" pictures).

I was hesitant given that I lease cars, but the time-savings in washings and the savings on waxing has been pretty amazing. I didn't know that I would "buy in" to the ceramic coating stuff, but I am a true believer now.
Thanks, good to hear!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #68
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Not sure how the prices here compare to the US but it was around USD4K with a 15% discount...(paint correction plus full PPF) Again, time will tell whether it was worth it or not. The owner of the shop said he'd fix any issues, and even redo the whole thing if I'm not happy. THere's a 5 year warranty to go along with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #69
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep
Drives: BMW X7,Lexus GS 350

Garage List
My Ceramic Pro installer made this video for me! Thankful, seeing as how it started raining as soon as he pulled it out of the bay! 🤣 For those who have had this a while, what type of maintenance do you do? Did I read that we can just rinse the car with water in between washes? Were you told that there is a special process to wash it?

Update-Video link to YouTube says "video unavailable" anyone know how to upload it properly?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 05:58 PM   #70
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsiaowei511 View Post
My Ceramic Pro installer made this video for me! Thankful, seeing as how it started raining as soon as he pulled it out of the bay! 🤣 For those who have had this a while, what type of maintenance do you do? Did I read that we can just rinse the car with water in between washes? Were you told that there is a special process to wash it?

Update-Video link to YouTube says "video unavailable" anyone know how to upload it properly?
No way I can just rinse my carbon black, but I do follow this approach and like products when doing maintenance washes. Car looks like it rolled off the line every time.

Appreciate 4
      09-06-2020, 02:14 AM   #71
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Hey, it's PAAAAAAAAAAAAAN the Organizer!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 03:58 AM   #72
HoratiuBMWX7
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I also have a Carbon Black and was planning to have the ceramic coating at a local detailer.But as the pandemic hits ( it was in April ) when I get the car , and for a month we had to stop the business, I had a lot of time and decided to do it myself.I studied a lot of forums and youtube videos and go ahead.I bought all the tools and chemical needed and first I tried on my mother in law old car.Second was my wifes X3 and when I was sure I know the process I made the X7.To be honest is not that easy.The ceramic coating itself is easy but the preparation steps are not quite.The correction/polishing step is the most difficult and takes most time.But at the end I was very proud of the result and I also learned a lot and will be able to do again the ceramic coating after some years.I used Cquartz and Gliss for the paint, Dlux for the rims and lights, Flyby Forte for the windshield and Gyeon leather shield for the leather. I only wash myself the car with profesional products about once a week.The total cost of products for all 3 cars I made was around 500 Euro.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 10:04 PM   #73
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsiaowei511 View Post

No way I can just rinse my carbon black, but I do follow this approach and like products when doing maintenance washes. Car looks like it rolled off the line every time.

Gotta love Pan
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      09-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #74
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsiaowei511 View Post
my ceramic pro installer made this video for me! Thankful, seeing as how it started raining as soon as he pulled it out of the bay! 🤣 for those who have had this a while, what type of maintenance do you do? Did i read that we can just rinse the car with water in between washes? Were you told that there is a special process to wash it?

Update-video link to youtube says "video unavailable" anyone know how to upload it properly?
no way i can just rinse my carbon black, but i do follow this approach and like products when doing maintenance washes. Car looks like it rolled off the line every time.

gotta love pan
paaaaaaaaaaaan!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #75
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

My process is very close to Pan's, different cleaning products but just about the same equipment. I have Carbon Black and the result is very good.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #76
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Washing incorrectly causes more damage to a paint surface than road grime. That said, getting the road grime off correctly is paramount and more of a lifestyle committed to proper car care. It was killing me 2 years ago when I took my brand new Carbon Black X5 on a winter cross country trip and then let it sit at the Grand Floridian parking lot dirty. A quick car wash without the proper equipment would have left hairline scratches from top to bottom and done more harm than good. Since then I have developed a vacation washing kit from waterless car washing spray to collapsing buckets and multiple mitts and microfiber towels. This past year my X5 looked pristine in the same parking lot.

I like the foam cannons for home regular washing. Best new “game changer” tool I have used in the last few decades.

Last edited by MystroX5; 09-07-2020 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      09-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #77
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Where’d you get it done?
https://www.enviousdetailing.com/

I have been using them for the last 12 years.
Wondering if such pricing and quality of work can be somewhere near Brooklyn...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 10:55 PM   #78
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Anyone tried and had any luck with SONAX CC36? I just ordered a set and hoping that it will last longer than those hybrid ceramic waxes.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 11:02 PM   #79
Carlit0sWay
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh3622 View Post
Tint Pro's from MSP did my 2020 X7 M50i w/Kavaca PPF + Ceramic Pro. Did full body, wheels off, glass and full interior. Turned out great. I used Xpel Ultimate w/Ceramic Pro Silver on my M4 GTS two years back. It'll be interesting to see which process works out the best.
Curious, how did they each hold up and compare? Thx!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 08:34 AM   #80
das2050
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, X7 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Connecticut, Sorry. Both Ceramic Pro installers I got quotes from were the same price. The only other coating I considered was Gtechniq but the guy around here that does it, had no reviews at all. It was similar price point though. Im sure it'll help with white seats, It makes cleaning easier and protect from staining.
Hi - reviving this in case you can share where you went in CT. Thanks. About to get 2024 X7.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 12:17 PM   #81
cm81
United_States
Rep
Drives: qx70

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsensetam View Post
Hi, I see you're out in LI, when I purchased my 17 X5 brand new, I got it ceramic coated once it left the dealership. Best investment ever!

its been 3 years and my car looks better than new. Its only hand washed and never went through a auto wash though. the coating is holding up great with annual maint.

My buddy is a detailer located in Huntington and certified with different Coating brands, Precision Auto Detail. They have a lot of experience and popular with the Porsche and Ferrari community. Let me know if you're interested and i'll PM you his number, mention my name and they will take care of you. Patrick T
Hey I’m interested in getting a quote from them. Can you send me your buddy’s information? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 12:43 PM   #82
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X7 40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
Patrick, please do PM me his number.

I spoke to a local guy today who told me that the ceramic won’t prevent swirls and the like. Seemed strange to me. He quoted about $2k-$2500 for the ceramic coating, and upwards of $5k for a clear film on the whole car (which he said is self healing in the sun, and will prevent swirls etc.).

That feels like a steep investment, but if it keeps my car looking new 5 years from now, I dunno, maybe it’s worth it after all. Has anyone done a full car film (not just the bra), and any thoughts on that?
Common misconception about ceramic coating, it is mainly for UV and hydrophobic properties that keep water, dirt, grime off the paint. Its almost like a sacrificial layer for your OEM paint. It will not prevent rock chips, swirls from contaminated washing methods, scratches. Most of the cost for ceramic coating is from the prep since they have to decon and polish the paint before its sealed with ceramic.

If your OCD and want the best ceramic than Modesta is probably your best bet. It needs to be cured with heat lamps and has a harder coating because of it. All other professional ceramics do not need to be cured with heat lamps and there are levels of each ceramic for each brand if you go the pro route. DIY is fine if you just want that wet and deep gloss look and have the time and skill to polish and correct yourself.

Personally i went with PPF for the hood, bumper, pillars, mirrors, and rocker panels to prevent any rock chips and plan on doing DIY ceramic at home when i get a chance. FYI you should research on which ceramics play well with PPF since it might interfere with its healing properties. Im very happy about the XPel PPF so far and it really does heal in the sun or with a heat gun.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 12:46 PM   #83
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X7 40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
$1000 He takes wheels off and does the entire inside barrels and outside of wheels, calipers and rotors where the pad don't contact. All painted surfaces on exterior with 2 coats. Glassparency on all glass and all leather and carpets with an interior ceramic pro textile product. Won't have the car back until weds night.
Thats an insane deal, where is he located?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 09:45 AM   #84
AAB4
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I just purchased a 2020 X7 in carbon black and was quoted $1500 for wash, paint correction and one coat of Cquartz (includes front of wheels). +400 if a heavier paint correction is needed and +600 to pull and coat the wheels. Does that seem high or in range? I'm in NJ.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 09:02 AM   #85
manutod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 M50i,19 Ghibli Gransport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx7lover View Post
In NOVA

http://www.tlcautodetail.com/

I have not used their services yet.
This is my go-to for anything detailing. They used to specialize in CQuartz and I had it on my Audi SQ5. They now only do Modesta coatings & SunTek PPF & tint.

I highly recommend them !
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 12:01 PM   #86
DishoomX2
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, BMW X7 M50i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
Having bought the X7 in carbon black -- probably the most difficult paint to keep swirl free and looking good, though when it looks good, it's amazing -- I'm wondering what can be done to protect my paint. I went to a brushless hand wash the other night, and already spotted a couple swirls in my paint when looking at certain angles.

I started reading that ceramic is all the rage now and wax is on the way out. I ended up after a little web research picking up this Avalon King ceramic coating DIY kit:

https://avalonking.com/

I liked the idea that one application supposedly lasts 3-5 years, and it'll have your car shining and looking better than wax or anything else.

What are thoughts on these ceramic coatings? As good as advertised? Anyone have any other techniques for keeping the carbon black and other dark paint jobs looking their best? (Note: as a younger man, I washed and polished my cars myself; these days, a busy job and young family don't afford me the time for that kind of thing anymore... so, hopefully some options that are not overly timing consuming!)

Thanks!
I've DIY'd Avalon King on three cars now. It's not difficult, just a lot of labor. I think the coating has held up well over the years -- though I can't compare to other ceramic coatings, only to traditional waxes and sealants. Just don't expect miracles. It does shed water better and the gloss is long lasting.

Pic of my X7 after Avalon King application.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jcss812123.00
      08-07-2023, 02:37 AM   #87
BDB77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Has anyone had a ceramic coating professionally applied to an X7 recently? I'm curious as to what sort of prices people are paying and what's reasonable for paint correction and a top tier coating from a professional detailer?

I'm also based in AZ if anyone has recommends for this state?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 08:24 AM   #88
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegelein View Post
My friend owns a shop in Southern Westchester, that has one of the few licenses in the state for applying the top ceramic coating. I can't fully recall, but I think it's an Xpel product. Regardless, if you want max protection, you do full ceramic and then wrap the car. If interested, PM me and i'll give you contact.
There's a shop in Westchester called Chris Breezy that I would go to. I did have better luck with ceramic coating my black sapphire x3m than I did with prior black cars. That said, I avoid black altogether and just go as bright as possible...it hides the swirls better
Appreciate 0