BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Should I do it?

05-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
BMWFan2
Rep
Drives: 18 Lincoln Navigator

Should I do it?

BMW X7 owners, I need someone to talk me into or out of getting rid of my 18 Navigator for an X7. Here's the dilemma, I have a 4 year old and 2 year old twins so 2nd row bench is a must. Needless to say, I bought the Navigator because it easily swallows three car seats in the 2nd row.

The Navigator has been problem-free and a joy to own. NO ISSUES However, I'm not sure if I need so much vehicle and TRUTHFULLY, I just like the X7. Are there others who have three car seats in the 2nd row? Are there other 3 kiddo parents who successfully downsized to an X7? The size difference concerns me greatly.

BTW - Please don't turn this thread into a "my X7 is better than your Navigator". Both have strengths and weaknesses. Dare I say, both have more strengths than weaknesses. I'm simply asking about practicality.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 04:12 PM   #2
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Welcome. As the X7 has only been on the streets for a few weeks odds are low you’re going to find a Navigator convert in this forum to offer comparisons.

3 child seats will fit on the X7 bench but will have to be slim in design (X5 owners know the brands that fit) so you may need to invest in new child seats. Another option is to get the Captain’s Chairs in the 2nd Row and let your 4 year old walk between them to get to his seat in the 3rd Row in which case all car seats would fit without size limitations.

The X7 offers practically no luggage space (and forget strollers) with 7 (or 6 with the Captain’s) passengers so a roof mounted cargo box will be necessary. Not sure how much luggage space exists in a Navigator when the maximum amount of passengers are onboard or if you will travel with grandparents but it’s a big consideration.

If I were you I’d start by visiting a BMW dealer and look at the 3rd Row in the up position and consider the small amount of luggage/stroller space available. Likely a dealbreaker right there.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFan2 View Post
BMW X7 owners, I need someone to talk me into or out of getting rid of my 18 Navigator for an X7. Here's the dilemma, I have a 4 year old and 2 year old twins so 2nd row bench is a must. Needless to say, I bought the Navigator because it easily swallows three car seats in the 2nd row.

The Navigator has been problem-free and a joy to own. NO ISSUES However, I'm not sure if I need so much vehicle and TRUTHFULLY, I just like the X7. Are there others who have three car seats in the 2nd row? Are there other 3 kiddo parents who successfully downsized to an X7? The size difference concerns me greatly.

BTW - Please don't turn this thread into a "my X7 is better than your Navigator". Both have strengths and weaknesses. Dare I say, both have more strengths than weaknesses. I'm simply asking about practicality.
Hell Yeah you should! I am bias though. Honestly, don't think they are comparable to each other. If you use all that room in that Navigator often, you shouldn't. If your driving way too much vehicle, you should. 3 car seats will fit. You're driving a truck, the X7 is completely different
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      05-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
BMWFan2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Hell Yeah you should! I am bias though. Honestly, don't think they are comparable to each other. If you use all that room in that Navigator often, you shouldn't. If your driving way too much vehicle, you should. 3 car seats will fit. You're driving a truck, the X7 is completely different
Man you don't make it easy. Hell yeah is how I feel cause the X7 is so nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
BMWFan2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Welcome. As the X7 has only been on the streets for a few weeks odds are low you’re going to find a Navigator convert in this forum to offer comparisons.

3 child seats will fit on the X7 bench but will have to be slim in design (X5 owners know the brands that fit) so you may need to invest in new child seats. Another option is to get the Captain’s Chairs in the 2nd Row and let your 4 year old walk between them to get to his seat in the 3rd Row in which case all car seats would fit without size limitations.

The X7 offers practically no luggage space (and forget strollers) with 7 (or 6 with the Captain’s) passengers so a roof mounted cargo box will be necessary. Not sure how much luggage space exists in a Navigator when the maximum amount of passengers are onboard or if you will travel with grandparents but it’s a big consideration.

If I were you I’d start by visiting a BMW dealer and look at the 3rd Row in the up position and consider the small amount of luggage/stroller space available. Likely a dealbreaker right there.
Hard to believe I know, but I can say the same about the Navigator. With the 3rd row down, it's cavernous. With the 3rd row up, forget about a stroller and almost everything else.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Quote:

I am a 2015 Escalade convert and I have older kids so can't really comment on the car seats but as for as cargo with max seating the X7 is on par with the Escalade. On paper the Escalade has more area but in reality considering usable floor space I give the edge to the X7. With the third row folded the Escalade is defiantly bigger and I am sure the Navi will be even be bigger. Gas mileage probably not much difference with city driving but the 40i will be just as quick as your Navi and get 26 mpg highway.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #7
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

It’s going to be a much tighter fit. Three Radians will work, for example. But you will really miss the space.

Don’t do it, wait at the very least. You may really miss the added space and the hit you’ll take on the Navi
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #8
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

You didn't mention that you test drove the X7 but that is the best way to determine if it's right or not. I trust my own judgement in such matters.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
NOVA99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M-B GLS 580

I tend to agree with LittleJoe as a visit and drive will be your best test. If you have a Navigator L there is no comparison as it is much larger.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #10
NorCal916
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA99 View Post
I tend to agree with LittleJoe as a visit and drive will be your best test. If you have a Navigator L there is no comparison as it is much larger.
Driving is truly the way to figure this out as it's such a personal decision. We are lucky enough to have a local dealer center that sells almost all the major brands in a small radius of each other. My wife wasn't even considering the X7 when she went to drive a few different options. After a disappointing Mercedes TD the dealer just happened to be unloading a brand new X7 and it caught her eye. 30 minutes later she was calling me telling me all the highlights of the X7 TD and why it blew her away. 24hrs later ours was on order.

I'd even go as far as to bring the car seats and/or kids with you. See first hand what that would look like
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 09:27 PM   #11
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

If I had 3 kids, navigator would be a no brainer for me. But you are not me, and if you travel light, then x7 gets the nod in quality.. especially if all you need are booster seats
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:34 AM   #12
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
If I had 3 kids, navigator would be a no brainer for me. But you are not me, and if you travel light, then x7 gets the nod in quality.. especially if all you need are booster seats
To this point OP is asking specifically about three across in second row. It’s doable but not optimal. If space is primary consideration Navigator all day vs X7.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:36 AM   #13
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

I have three kids. My X7 with captains chairs is working just fine. In retrospect though I’d get a bench.
Appreciate 1
dmann3324.00
      05-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #14
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

This video compares the X7 and the new Navigator, this should be helpful:

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #15
Optimus_TRex
Rep
Drives: E92, X7

Been lurking on the forum for awhile and all the info has helped so much with our own purchase decision. Figure I should join the community and help others where I can.

Got three kids, although different ages then yours, and upgraded from a 2008 RX350, where I had them squeezed across the rear seat. Gist of it is if I can do it in the RX, you can do it in the X7, but yeah it would be tight. I now have the two youngest in the 2nd row each sitting in a Diono Radian. You can squeeze a third Diono in the middle seat. Attached a pic for reference. Radians are ~15 inches wide and that's how much space is in the middle. And the Radians can be rear facing for your kids.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3682.50
toddwalton1291.00
      05-07-2019, 06:20 AM   #16
BMWFan2
Rep

I greatly appreciate all the responses. Yes, the dealership is tired of seeing me as I've had several test drives. I love the vehicle and the tech. Space up front is not as ample as the Navigator and the nooks and crannies to store junk......ahem I mean stuff up front is lacking in the X7. Otherwise, I like it!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #17
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
I greatly appreciate all the responses. Yes, the dealership is tired of seeing me as I've had several test drives. I love the vehicle and the tech. Space up front is not as ample as the Navigator and the nooks and crannies to store junk......ahem I mean stuff up front is lacking in the X7. Otherwise, I like it!
In the end, I think it will come down to sheer size and the comfort of taking a hit on the 2018. I assume you don't have the extended navigator. So, how much do you like/dislike the bulk of the Navigator. We looked at the Navigator, XC 90 and X7. The XC 90 just didn't have the space we wanted and drove no where near as nice as the X7. The navigator was just too big. I like the space on the inside, but what a hulk to deal with everyday. We weren't comfortable going with a truck size SUV as my wife's DD and I drive a 2500HD every day.

We ordered the X7 with DHP. Since that time, I learned of the Aviator. It looks like a more similar comparison to the X7 (not truck size). I would have been keen to compare them in person if I was still shopping. I found that the base Aviator is much lower cost than the base X7 and to get as close as possible and load up on options the difference to be in the 12k range. There will be a ton of low end Aviators and if cost is a major factor its probably a nice option for the lower trims. If you are willing and able to spend $85k+, I don't think you can beat the X7 with DHP, night vision, etc. I just can't see the aviator driving any better than the X7 either.

If I were you, I think you have a very nice car that you loved enough to buy just a short while ago. It checks the boxes for you and meets your needs. Unless you literally have $$ to burn, iI would suggest keeping it a bit longer then maybe look at a late year MY20 or MY21 X7 when prices begin to come down. I think it will be at least a year for significant price drops are common place.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #18
BMWFan2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
In the end, I think it will come down to sheer size and the comfort of taking a hit on the 2018. I assume you don't have the extended navigator. So, how much do you like/dislike the bulk of the Navigator. We looked at the Navigator, XC 90 and X7. The XC 90 just didn't have the space we wanted and drove no where near as nice as the X7. The navigator was just too big. I like the space on the inside, but what a hulk to deal with everyday. We weren't comfortable going with a truck size SUV as my wife's DD and I drive a 2500HD every day.

We ordered the X7 with DHP. Since that time, I learned of the Aviator. It looks like a more similar comparison to the X7 (not truck size). I would have been keen to compare them in person if I was still shopping. I found that the base Aviator is much lower cost than the base X7 and to get as close as possible and load up on options the difference to be in the 12k range. There will be a ton of low end Aviators and if cost is a major factor its probably a nice option for the lower trims. If you are willing and able to spend $85k+, I don't think you can beat the X7 with DHP, night vision, etc. I just can't see the aviator driving any better than the X7 either.

If I were you, I think you have a very nice car that you loved enough to buy just a short while ago. It checks the boxes for you and meets your needs. Unless you literally have $$ to burn, iI would suggest keeping it a bit longer then maybe look at a late year MY20 or MY21 X7 when prices begin to come down. I think it will be at least a year for significant price drops are common place.
Your username fits dmann33..... Thanks for being the voice of reason. For those who asked, I do have the extended Navigator L and because I was able to get below Ford employee price at purchase, i wouldn't take a hit if I got rid of it. Another thing, due to demand, the Navigator increased in price for 2019 so that also helps the resale. What irks the holy ish outta me is that Lincoln put tech in the Aviator that's NOT available in the Navigator. Tech such as traffic sign recognition and lots more goodies. What brand skimp on their flagship model????
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #19
sliu070
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 2019 G07

Quote:
Your username fits dmann33..... Thanks for being the voice of reason. For those who asked, I do have the extended Navigator L and because I was able to get below Ford employee price at purchase, i wouldn't take a hit if I got rid of it. Another thing, due to demand, the Navigator increased in price for 2019 so that also helps the resale. What irks the holy ish outta me is that Lincoln put tech in the Aviator that's NOT available in the Navigator. Tech such as traffic sign recognition and lots more goodies. What brand skimp on their flagship model????
Glad I waited for the X7. My wife was cross shopping between Model X, Navigator, GLS550 and the new X7 for a family hauler because she refuses to drive a mini-van. When we test drove the extended Navigator, she told me it was worse than driving a minivan because it was so freaking HUGE. Another reason we didn't go with the Navigator was because they simply had no stock. Some dealers wanted MSRP+5000, what a joke.