BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum GLS Reviews

06-24-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

GLS Reviews

Lots hitting web now, for anyone cross shopping.

Some prefer style of it to X7, some think it’s shaped like a bar of soap. Interior being summarized as slightly less S Class like than expected. Unanimous praise of tech, and comfort.

Third row being described as marginally more spacious than x7, although they don’t say which dimensions. But no moonroof back there (big deal IMO).

Handling generally described as not as engaging on road as X7. Power trains getting very positive reviews (mild hybrid setup).

Anyhow, check them out. That’s my synopsis of the 5 I read.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1291.00
      06-24-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Here's one: http://www.canadianautoreview.ca/rev...gls-class.html

...and another,

Autoexpress review:

The newMercedes GLS claims to offer the ultimate luxury SUV experience. We find out if it does Verdict

4 Stars ****

TheMercedes GLS takes a huge leap over its predecessor. It has superb comfort and refinement, while offering more space than nearly anything else for the money. We think E-Active Body Control will be worth the wait: the ride quality is sublime. We can nitpick that the dash looks too much like the cheaperGLE’s and that the car might be a bit big for urban UK roads, but otherwise the GLS is a hit.
This is the all-new GLS, a car thatMercedes has dubbed “theS-Class of SUVs”. The luxury limousine is considered to be the best in the business, so the brand’s latest model has a lot to live up to.

Of course,Mercedes has form when it comes to large luxury SUVs, with its GL and later GLS predecessors, and in many ways this version achieves jacked-up executive-class travel better than any of its ancestors.

While the previous GLS architecture could be traced back to the 2005 M-Class, the latest model shares a platform with the newGLE. It therefore starts with a lighter, more rigid structure – one that can accommodate the brand’s latest driver-assistance systems and infotainment. It’s grown in size, too; at 5,213mm overall, it’s 83mm longer than the old GLS and 62mm more than theBMWX7.

The dash in the new car is lifted virtually wholesale from the smallerGLE. But while that means it uses the same brilliant twin 12.3-inch MBUX infotainment set-up, we’d hoped for something rather more special.

Arguably, though, the back seats matter more in a car such as this, and here the GLS really hits the spot. There are six or seven-seat layouts to choose from; the former offers two captain’s chairs in the second row, the other a three-person bench. The latter can be enhanced with the optional Rear Comfort Package Plus, in which the centre seat folds down into a large armrest with a removable tablet for controlling the comfort and entertainment functions. It’s also possible to add a pair of 11.6-inch touchscreens to the front seat-backs, so passengers can watch movies and browse the web.

Where the GLS really excels is in the third row.Mercedes claims anyone up to six feet four inches will fit here, so the GLS is easily the roomiest seven-seat SUV you can buy. Seven-up, it offers a 470-litre boot – 144 litres more than theX7. In five-seat mode, space grows to 890 litres, and with all rear seats dropped (at the flick of a switch) there’s a van-like 2,400 litres.

One of the GLS’s real tricks is its advanced E-Active Body Control suspension set-up. Various modes alter the car’s suspension to suit specific conditions. Off-Road mode allows the driver to adjust the ride height of each wheel independently, but it’s the two cameras that scan the road ahead to preload the suspension in order to smooth out bumps that are more impressive.

On the move, this transforms the ride comfort remarkably over and above the standard set-up, which can occasionally thump into large dips and rock from side to side over undulations. The system won’t be offered on UK launch models, but it will make its way here eventually. It’s worth the wait.

Last edited by CruiseControl; 06-24-2019 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Thanks for posting this ppag. It's interesting to see.

For me, as a BMW owner for 20+ years, no Mercedes offering was ever in consideration in the buying process.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Yes, I just prefer BMW styling and design. Have checked out Mercedes recently, and family just agrees we prefer BMW. That being said, I'm very curious to see the upcoming mandatory head-to-head GLS and X7 review shootouts!
Appreciate 1
bjcarls458.50
      06-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Perception of styling inside and out is highly subjective, but for me it's no comparison.

Functionally, however, the GLS is compelling to me. For example, the captains seats fold flat in the GLS. The trade off for that, though, is that they are backed with carpet vs being sculpted as in the X7. Between that, no moon roof, and what appears to be pretty average materials in the third row, the experience back there doesn't appear as elevated as I would expect from a new gen model. My first impression is that the GLS continues a tradition of a second class experience for third row passengers, while the X7's third row maintains the fit, finish and materials of the first and second rows quite well. Third row comfort in the GLS is probably right there with the X7, if not exceeding it, though.

Something else I noticed is that behind third row cargo space is significantly larger than in x7

Look forward to seeing one on the road and in person

Last edited by ppagiga; 06-24-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
BMWFan2
Rep
Drives: 18 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Lots hitting web now, for anyone cross shopping.
I know right? Already today I received notification of at least 5 new Youtube videos. I am watching the Edmunds review as I type this post. Unlike others, I don't have an allegiance to one brand over the other. I've had several of both and would be happy to have either.

With that said, I'll probably go with the GLS for a few reasons. 1.) It's near impossible to find an X7 on the lot with 2nd row bench. 2.) No Android Auto 3.) Carplay is not free after the first year and LAST BUT NOT LEAST....... 4.) Several weeks ago I walked away from a $106K Carbon Black X7 with dang near every option because the sales rep caught MAJOR attitude because I inquired about the money factor. I literally was at the table with papers in front of me ready to sign.

I prefer the BMW front end and the Mercedes rear end. I prefer the BMW dash and infotainment area but prefer everything else about the Mercedes interior. Said another way, I HATE the oversized flat dash and infotainment area in the Mercedes
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFan2 View Post
I know right? Already today I received notification of at least 5 new Youtube videos. I am watching the Edmunds review as I type this post. Unlike others, I don't have an allegiance to one brand over the other. I've had several of both and would be happy to have either.

With that said, I'll probably go with the GLS for a few reasons. 1.) It's near impossible to find an X7 on the lot with 2nd row bench. 2.) No Android Auto 3.) Carplay is not free after the first year and LAST BUT NOT LEAST....... 4.) Several weeks ago I walked away from a $106K Carbon Black X7 with dang near every option because the sales rep caught MAJOR attitude because I inquired about the money factor. I literally was at the table with papers in front of me ready to sign.

I prefer the BMW front end and the Mercedes rear end. I prefer the BMW dash and infotainment area but prefer everything else about the Mercedes interior. Said another way, I HATE the oversized flat dash and infotainment area in the Mercedes
Yeah I hear you. I was same way, no brand allegiance. This time around the X7 checked the boxes I wanted checked. But GLS will be a fantastic purchase. Benz nails that car gen after gen
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #8
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

From what I'm reading both the GLS and x7 have their pluses and minuses. The one big one I see with the GLS is the 450 is ugly. They should have done what BMW did which is stick with the same external appearance and simply offer 6 or 8 cylinder variants. I like both but can get an x7 40i that looks like a 50i a lot cheaper than a GLS 580. I would never go for the next gen GLS 450.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
ronmramsayii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' X3 M40i & X4 M40i

I still honestly prefer the X7 over the GLS. The GLS is still a Mercedes. Unless it's AMG you won't feel like you're driving a vehicle but more so the vehicle is driving you. I want to feel some sort of connection with what I'm driving.

Besides that, the X7 styling looks better to me as well. And that moon roof on the 3rd row is a HUGE plus.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #10
ppagiga
Major
Rep

For anyone using the past GLS as a reference point, the new one vs old dimensions:

Headroom first, 2nd and third rows: same

Legroom front: same
Legroom row 2 (maximum): 3.5" more in new GLS
Legroom row 3 (maximum): 0.4" less in new GLS

Elbow width first, 2nd and third rows: same

Shoulder width first row: 0.8" more new GLS
Shoulder width 2nd and 3rd rows: same

Width of luggage compartment between wheel tubs: same

Luggage compartment depth behind row 2: 3.8" less new GLS
Luggage compartment depth behind row 3: 2" more new GLS

Luggage compartment length behind front seats:3.7" more new GLS
Luggage compartment length behind row 2: 1.8 more new GLS
Luggage compartment length behind row 3: 2.8" more new GLS

Max luggage capacity behind row 2 to upper edge of back rest: 7.4 more cubic feet new GLS
Max luggage capacity behind row 3 to upper edge of back rest: 2.1 more cubic feet new GLS
Max luggage capacity: 3.5 more cubic feet new GLS (84.75 cubic feet vs 81.25)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony16 View Post
From what I'm reading both the GLS and x7 have their pluses and minuses. The one big one I see with the GLS is the 450 is ugly. They should have done what BMW did which is stick with the same external appearance and simply offer 6 or 8 cylinder variants. I like both but can get an x7 40i that looks like a 50i a lot cheaper than a GLS 580. I would never go for the next gen GLS 450.
I actually like this about MB. It’s interesting that a 50i could be parked next to a 40i that looks identical on the outside (except for the small badge), but one cost $40,000 more than the other. At least with the GLS, the styling is different between the V6 and V8.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #12
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
I actually like this about MB. It’s interesting that a 50i could be parked next to a 40i that looks identical on the outside (except for the small badge), but one cost $40,000 more than the other. At least with the GLS, the styling is different between the V6 and V8.
For sure that will bother the 50i buyer that values relative exclusivity but I love that BMW offers the same looks for less money. Benz also does that. Pretty much everywhere but the USA
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #13
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

But, on the GLS does your phone stay connected in Carplay? Easily the biggest disappointment on my X7.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      06-25-2019, 02:39 AM   #14
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

If nothing else, I'm looking for the GLS to increase demand of Mercedes, hopefully increase dealer discounts on the X7.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:38 PM   #15
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
But, on the GLS does your phone stay connected in Carplay? Easily the biggest disappointment on my X7.
It will be fixed with software soon
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #16
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 m850 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
I picked up my X7 yesterday and have not had an issue with the phone reconnecting automatically for CarPlay. I am running iOS 13 Developer beta 2 though...

I did have some brief audio drops today though while driving home, but that could be the iOS beta as much as anything...
Appreciate 0