BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Drive Recorder & latest MAPS

02-27-2020, 04:59 AM   #1
BMW335GT
Rep
Drives: X7 M50D

Drive Recorder & latest MAPS

X7 Fans

I have a 06/19 M50d, I was expecting 'Drive recorder' to be available as I have the Premium package (parking assist pro, 360 cameras, and cockpit etc), BMW telling me it is not available. Any idea on how to code this or get this added. There is also a link to this website which contradicts BMW- -https://fleetworld.co.uk/bmw-software-update-to-add-built-in-dashcam/. Same as the last 50 foot driving memory, any clue how to enable this function?

Also BMW tell me I have the latest maps, and they will be pushed remotely to me idriove. Not the case, I installed latest over USB yesterday, so it seems BMW are not well informed.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

go to home screen and then go to apps. see if driver recorder is loaded there. if so add it to the one of the home pages.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #3
BMW335GT
Rep
Drives: X7 M50D

not there unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

contact dealer and explain the situation, request software update.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 05:27 AM   #5
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

IIRC, drive recorder was a new feature added in 2020 models. Since yours is a 2019, it wouldn't have it. Others have asked if that can be coded in, and the answer was no, hardware was added in 2020
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
Techworks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Brilliant white m5

What is the Drive Recorder system, and what does it do?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techworks View Post
What is the Drive Recorder system, and what does it do?
Drive Recorder acts kind of a dash cam system.
It uses the cameras on the vehicle to record the last 20-40 seconds before an incident or you can manually start a recording.

It only does a total of 40 seconds of recording so it's usefulness may be limited compared to a dedicated dash cam. I wish they would update it to be able to record longer sessions.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #8
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
It uses the cameras on the vehicle to record the last 20-40 seconds before an incident or you can manually start a recording.

It only does a total of 40 seconds of recording so it's usefulness may be limited compared to a dedicated dash cam. I wish they would update it to be able to record longer sessions.

That's my biggest complaint about this. 40 seconds? You can record a weeks worth of video on a $20 SD card. WTH? You should be able to access the camers on your phone and replay at least the last weeks worth of video for this thing to be worth it.

I have an OWL CAMERA and love it.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #9
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post

That's my biggest complaint about this. 40 seconds? You can record a weeks worth of video on a $20 SD card. WTH? You should be able to access the camers on your phone and replay at least the last weeks worth of video for this thing to be worth it.

Agreed. The system has so much promise in concept, but if you're constrained by the duration of recording and sometimes having to think about engaging it (outside of a collision), it's not living up to it's potential.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #10
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:

I have the OWL Camera since day 1 of my car. Love it.

BTW, you have a 2020 X7. Did you check if the Driver Recorder App is available to you? I believe its a subscription based item (pay first then have it) even if your car has the hardware for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #11
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Quote:

BTW, you have a 2020 X7. Did you check if the Driver Recorder App is available to you? I believe its a subscription based item (pay first then have it) even if your car has the hardware for it.
Tell me more about this app. I couldn't find it in the App Store.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

The drive recorder is part of the "Parking Assistance Package". If you didn't get this package you didn't get the hardware required for the drive recorder.

If you did get this package then the drive recorder hardware is included and you will have two additional buttons on the left side of the stick shift console just above the start button. You'll see a "Parking Assist" button with a "P" on it and a "Drive Recorder button" with a little video camera icon on the button. Below is a link to the owner's manual that describes the functionality of the Drive Recorder.

https://bao.bmwgroup.com/bao-rd/#/bm...L7151794.10782.

If you ordered the "Driver Assistance Package" then the app and the service is free for pretty much the life of the car. Mine says it's good through June of 2039.

The beauty of the system is you can start a recording just by pressing the button. There are customizable settings for when, how long, and what cameras are used when making the recording. I believe the maximum recording length is 20 seconds before you push the button and 20 seconds after you push the button.

For example, I have mine set to record everything that happened 20 seconds "BEFORE" I pressed the button and 20 seconds "AFTER" I pressed the button.

The beauty of this feature is that when those freaking "A" Hole gravel trucks that don't cover their load bounce along the freeway and through a nice sized rock into your windshield. As soon as you see the rock/chip just push the record button. It will record 20 seconds of video footage that took place "BEFORE" I pushed the button and 20 seconds "AFTER" I pushed the button.

You can save the recording to and external flash drive/hard drive and give the video file to your insurance company to go after the trucking company or whom ever/what ever caused the damage to your vehicle. The key is remembering to push the button in those circumstances.

Additionally, if your in an accident the Driver Recorder starts recording automatically! That can be both a good thing and a bad thing. Good if the accident wasn't your fault but bad if the accident was your fault. If the accident was your fault and you delete the recording you could be liable for trying to cover up/delete evidence in a court case.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 11:22 PM   #13
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
The App was installed from the factory. No subscription/fee. So far, it's working pretty well. I'm not considering it to be a replacement for a dashcam. I had a BlackVue installed on day one. However, the drive recorder can record 4 angles at once (front/rear/left/right) which is basically impossible to achieve with a dashcam so for accidents, it's great and saved me the wiring/installation of a rear view dashcam. And for accidents, 20 seconds prior to the incident and 20 after is sufficient.

Here are some recordings of my BlackVue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78baS2jjZko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYK_zdF54Vg
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #14
ChexBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
The beauty of this feature is that when those freaking "A" Hole gravel trucks that don't cover their load bounce along the freeway and through a nice sized rock into your windshield. As soon as you see the rock/chip just push the record button. It will record 20 seconds of video footage that took place "BEFORE" I pushed the button and 20 seconds "AFTER" I pushed the button.

It would be better if you didn't have to scroll through several menu items to get to a one-touch "record" tab on the vehicle.

You might be able to save it to one of the 8 programmable memory buttons. But, you should be able to start your recording by pressing and holding down the camera button next to the gearshift.

And to limit it all with only a 40-second recording??? It just doesn't make sense.

Just like the internal 32GB music storage. I have a small thumb drive the size of my fingernail that has 256GB capacity.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #15
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChexBMW View Post
Quote:

It would be better if you didn't have to scroll through several menu items to get to a one-touch "record" tab on the vehicle.

You might be able to save it to one of the 8 programmable memory buttons. But, you should be able to start your recording by pressing and holding down the camera button next to the gearshift.

And to limit it all with only a 40-second recording??? It just doesn't make sense.

Just like the internal 32GB music storage. I have a small thumb drive the size of my fingernail that has 256GB capacity.
My complaint exactly.

I have a home camera system. 6 cameras at $35 each. (Yes, $35 for each camera!) SD chip in the camera stores a months worth of video. $100 a year stores a weeks worth of all cameras in the cloud.

The car should record a weeks worth of video with incidents time stamped. Uploaded to the cloud. Then you could easily go back and see whatever you're looking for. Did the valet hit something? Rock fly off a truck? Was my kid driving like a jerk?

Not to mention how valuable this would be in court after an accident.

But for around $100,000 you get .40 seconds 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #16
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChexBMW View Post
Push and hold the camera button twice and it starts recording. I just tested this the other day. Works great.

You do have to make sure you have the drive recorder configured to do "Manual" recording in the iDrive settings before the button recording will work.

Last edited by mitch57; 03-12-2020 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #17
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
push the camera button twice and it starts recording. I just tested this the other day. Works great.

You do have to make sure you have the drive recorder configured to do "Manual" recording in the iDrive settings before the button recording will work.
My genius was not aware that you could trigger the recorder by holding the camera-button and when I wanted to show it to him, it did not work because 'Manual' was not activated.

Just make sure to activate 'Manual' AND 'Automatic' so it still records in an accident where you might not have the chance to press the button yourself.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      03-12-2020, 05:59 PM   #18
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Quote:
push the camera button twice and it starts recording. I just tested this the other day. Works great.

My genius was not aware that you could trigger the recorder by holding the camera-button and when I wanted to show it to him, it did not work because 'Manual' was not activated.

Just make sure to activate 'Manual' AND 'Automatic' so it still records in an accident where you might not have the chance to press the button yourself.
Yup works like a charm. Just hold down the camera button until the recording progress bar appears on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 08:07 PM   #19
ChexBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
The car should record a weeks worth of video with incidents time stamped. Uploaded to the cloud....

But for around $100,000 you get .40 seconds
Funniest comment I've read in a while....

I hope someone from BMW is reading these forums and taking note!
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #20
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Quote:

It is subscription in USA is for 10 years. Here are screenshots from account
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:10 PM   #21
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

>>It is subscription in USA is for 10 years. Here are screenshots from account

Thank you for the update. Do you have a 2020 X7 or is it 2019? What we are facing is that this service is not available to US users who have 2019 models.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #22
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
>>It is subscription in USA is for 10 years. Here are screenshots from account

Thank you for the update. Do you have a 2020 X7 or is it 2019? What we are facing is that this service is not available to US users who have 2019 models.
I have 2020 x7 M50i
Appreciate 0