BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Why is it so difficult for BMW to get this vehicle right

03-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

Why is it so difficult for BMW to get this vehicle right

Since the initial test drive, I pointed out to the sales person that the car was pulling right and feels strange. Before picking up the car, on the phone I asked them to put it on the rack and align the car before my arrival but that never happened.

Pass forward 3 months and 2k miles later, I dropped the car off at a another dealer closer to home thinking that the alignment should be under warranty plus look at other various issues: vibration from steering column, seats not moving back, memory seat doesn't recall and digital key not working.

Beside the steering column being replaced (after the replacement was DOA), none of the other issues was resolve.

The alignment request was rejected because my car had 2180 miles on it and alignment is only guaranteed for 2k miles. They told me to bring it back to the dealer I purchased it from 60+ miles away.

Called my salesperson, she said bring it in (found out sales paid for the alignment later). Scheduled for a visit for a week later, in that week, I had a dangerous incident where the vehicle brakes didn't engage and it started slipping down my driveway inches from hitting the my gate post. I had to release the brakes and pump it before it would stop. Good thing no one was behind me. This also confirms why i feel like the brakes feels slippery from time to time.

Pass forward to dropping off the vehicle to the dealer I purchased from for the unresolved issues as well as the new brakes experience. (Just wanted to add, the service department was extremely nice and welcoming compared to the previous)

3 days later, went to pick up the vehicle, was told that there's a bulletin regarding the brakes. Was given a print out on how to work the brakes. In short, start the vehicle, release brakes, press brakes, give it 2-3 seconds so the system can initiate, something in the order. This is where it bothers me, I should not have to relearn how to stop a car.

Was told that there's a bad sensor on the seat but it's on backorder w/o a delivery date, could be 2-3 months. With no choice, I took delivery of the car, 2 miles off the lot, I knew the alignment was still out of whack, called the SA and turned around and requested to do a test drive with a floorman, didn't take long for him to acknowledge the alignment issue. Once again, drove 60 miles home in a loaner.

2 days later said the vehicle was ready and that there was a sensor in the steering responsible for centering the steering wheel needed to be calibrated. Since it was a saturday, I took the family for a drive to pick up the car, excited that it could now be straight again, but it was short lived. Minutes down the road I knew it is still screwed. Since it was late Saturday and we had plans, I did not want to put the family through the agony of going back and ruining their weekend so I called the SA and explained to him that it was still not fixed. I needed him to know right away because he told me there is no warranty on alignments. Said I'd try to get a video of my driving experience and try to show it on camera so he can review with their tech. Also the the alignment printout looks good everything was spot on. At this point, I've lost 4 work days and a saturday in the course of 2 weeks, I wasn't sure when I'll have time to drop it off again.

I had my wife jump in the backseat to record a video of the trip shortly after leaving the dealer and submitted it to them this morning. Beside the text added to areas of the video pointing out the issues, it is unaltered in anyway to try to show the symptons.

if you've read this far, please spare 2 minutes of your life and watch this video and tell me if this is normal or if I'm overly sensitive?

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I may have missed if this was asked before but have you gone for a drive with the Service Advisor or Tech?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I may have missed if this was asked before but have you gone for a drive with the Service Advisor or Tech?
yes, they sent their "best tech" on a drive with me.

Quote:
I took delivery of the car, 2 miles off the lot, I knew the alignment was still out of whack, called the SA and turned around and requested to do a test drive with a floorman, didn't take long for him to acknowledge the alignment issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I meant now, after the "repairs".
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #5
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I meant now, after the "repairs".
I have not and I have not heard back from the SA. Waiting for a response from them.

Beside the ranting, I just wanted to get inputs from other X7 owners. As good as the tech are, test driving fo 5 minutes doesn't always tell the full story. They also don't know the vehicle's feature. IE: They told me that the bolster does not save to memory, multiple other owners confirmed that it indeed does in another post of mine.

I hesitated for awhile before posting it on here but it's been fustrating.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I understand, I found it is often better to do a ride-along than multiple emails, phone calls etc. At this point I don't see how they would not complete an alignment as part of a good-will service or simply to appease a customer otherwise contact your salesperson and ask to start the paperwork on a trade-assist or complete buy-back.
Appreciate 1
Redrex21.50
      03-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #7
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I understand, I found it is often better to do a ride-along than multiple emails, phone calls etc. At this point I don't see how they would not complete an alignment as part of a good-will service or simply to appease a customer otherwise contact your salesperson and ask to start the paperwork on a trade-assist or complete buy-back.
I'd love to just give them the key to this car and drive off with another x7 but Isn't it a little too soon for that to be considered that as an option?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie408 View Post
yes, they sent their "best tech" on a drive with me.
I'm sorry but it appears as though she understands NOTHING!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #9
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to just give them the key to this car and drive off with another x7 but Isn't it a little too soon for that to be considered that as an option?
you have to start somewhere and start with your sales person who ignored your request for a proper alignment before delivery. the dealer should have completed a proper pdi and not released the vehicle on the flip side you should not have taken delivery without the alignment being performed but either way contact them and start discussing trade-assist or buy-back and watch how quickly their feet start moving.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #10
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
I'm sorry but it appears as though she understands NOTHING!
you mean the tech? it's a he. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #11
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
you have to start somewhere and start with your sales person who ignored your request for a proper alignment before delivery. the dealer should have completed a proper pdi and not released the vehicle on the flip side you should not have taken delivery without the alignment being performed but either way contact them and start discussing trade-assist or buy-back and watch how quickly their feet start moving.
Coincidentally, there's a BMW case manager regarding my repair experience the first time. They've been following up every now and then to see if my experiences has improved and if the car has been fixed. Would it be worth while to bring it up to them next time they call and let BMWNA get involve or is it better to have the local dealer work through them?

I'd hate for BMW to blacklist me and appear like a squeaky wheel. Hell I felt bad for calling my SA right after I pick up the car after multiple failed attempt to fix the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #12
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Do both and they will not blacklist. If you feel you are being slighted then take the appropriate measures to correct the issue. I am in the same camp as you where I prefer not to be a nuisance but in this case the vehicle is not operating as designed or safely. I would not be able to drive it confidently and I would express that with all parties involved.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #13
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
if you've read this far, please spare 2 minutes of your life and watch this video and tell me if this is normal or if I'm overly sensitive?
So I just watched this, with the sound off mind you, and hate to say that I think you might be overly sensitive. Granted, I likely would be too if I had a bad wheel and sensor alignment to begin with. Are you saying you drove this same route with a different BMW and had a different experience?

That entire route would have been extremely confusing at best for level 2 autonomy. There were constant lane splits, merges, on-ramps, off-ramps, bike lanes, unmarked roads, turns from a narrow lane to a wide lane, etc.

The pulls you were experiencing seemed to be consistent with the system just not seeing how the lines we converging and diverging throughout. I would think if you re-shot this same route with the assisted driving view on, you would be able to see it's not picking up the lines in those situations and either trying to find a line, or giving up on holding a line.
      03-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #14
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
So I just watched this, with the sound off mind you, and hate to say that I think you might be overly sensitive. Granted, I likely would be too if I had a bad wheel and sensor alignment to begin with. Are you saying you drove this same route with a different BMW and had a different experience?

That entire route would have been extremely confusing at best for level 2 autonomy. There were constant lane splits, merges, on-ramps, off-ramps, bike lanes, unmarked roads, turns from a narrow lane to a wide lane, etc.

The pulls you were experiencing seemed to be consistent with the system just not seeing how the lines we converging and diverging throughout. I would think if you re-shot this same route with the assisted driving view on, you would be able to see it's not picking up the lines in those situations and either trying to find a line, or giving up on holding a line.
I had a feeling someone was going to mention this short answer is no it's not the steering intervention as I have this off by default I hate this feature

Btw, if you look at my intelligent safety light, the entire system is turned off. I do this with muscle memory every time I step in the car that's the first thing I do is disabled despite already having it turned off.
Appreciate 1
MomoM3984.00
      03-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #15
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
I had a feeling someone was going to mention this short answer is no it's not the steering intervention as I have this off by default I hate this feature

Btw, if you look at my intelligent safety light, the entire system is turned off. I do this with muscle memory every time I step in the car that's the first thing I do is disabled despite already having it turned off.
Oh, wow, well if that's the case, it's certainly odd. The movements definitely seem sensor related. The behavior I see looks exactly how my car would behave if all the nannies were on... perhaps just some confirmation bias there, but I suppose l the motions in the video all seemed to go to the right so they just seem to match what I would expect.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #16
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

I don't know if I missed this in your video, but if you're on a straight stretch of road for a period of time, does it pull to the right? The pulling I saw in your video was always after you were coming out of a turn.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #17
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
I don't know if I missed this in your video, but if you're on a straight stretch of road for a period of time, does it pull to the right? The pulling I saw in your video was always after you were coming out of a turn.
Your observations is correct, it does more so after a right turn (keep in mind left turn doesn't do this). At the beginning of the video there was a left curve on the freeway, when I let go the steering wheel appears to center out but the car drift right. if you watch closely you'll see me jerk it back to the left as it's running over the merging lane.

On a straight road, it too always pull right if I let go, not immediately but just seconds after letting go. But if I went over an elevated hump the car will always lean right immediately.

BMW case manager happens to follow up earlier, I kind of echo what was posted here and she asked me if I wanted to talk to the buyback department. I said no at first. But decided to see what my options were. Repeated myself again to the next person and was told I'd get a call in 24 hours to discuss options.

Didn't want to go this route since I don't want to have to go buy another x7 and negotiate twice for for the same vehicle.

Called my salesperson after talking to BMW and she was very nice, said if BMW buy my car back, she'll give me the same deal as my current vehicle which was assuring. What's amazing to me is they actually have a dedicated department for buybacks. Seems they do this enough to actually have a team of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:33 PM   #18
daaaaaan
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

What phone mount are you using?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #19
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Your observations is correct, it does more so after a right turn (keep in mind left turn doesn't do this). At the beginning of the video there was a left curve on the freeway, when I let go the steering wheel appears to center out but the car drift right. if you watch closely you'll see me jerk it back to the left as it's running over the merging lane.

On a straight road, it too always pull right if I let go, not immediately but just seconds after letting go. But if I went over an elevated hump the car will always lean right immediately.

BMW case manager happens to follow up earlier, I kind of echo what was posted here and she asked me if I wanted to talk to the buyback department. I said no at first. But decided to see what my options were. Repeated myself again to the next person and was told I'd get a call in 24 hours to discuss options.

Didn't want to go this route since I don't want to have to go buy another x7 and negotiate twice for for the same vehicle.

Called my salesperson after talking to BMW and she was very nice, said if BMW buy my car back, she'll give me the same deal as my current vehicle which was assuring. What's amazing to me is they actually have a dedicated department for buybacks. Seems they do this enough to actually have a team of them.
Well I guess that is reassuring if you can get a new replacement X7 for the same negotiated price or better. Good luck, sounds like a frustrating experience and a waste of your time.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #20
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaaan View Post
What phone mount are you using?
All this fustration and you noticed my phone mount? JK it's this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it auto clamp and auto release everytime you reach in, I like it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:39 AM   #21
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

It does seem odd that bolster memory operation appears inconsistent across X7's.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #22
fchen0125
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi GC, 2020 X7-40i

If alignment didn't work , Check your tire direction ( If they are directional )!!! I had a Brand New E46 that was pulling right from day 1, went to purchased dealer multiple times and they can't seem to fix it, went to local alignment shops and they couldn't fix it ( they all said alignment #s looks good and car is fine !!!). Decided to try another dealer out in NJ and BAM, they fixed it .. they found that it was because my tires were mounted backwards !
Appreciate 0