BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X40i Dyanmic Handling Package worth it?

03-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
Sherlock Ohms
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW, Ford, RAM

X40i Dyanmic Handling Package worth it?

We are considering a nearly fully loaded '20 X40i with the premium excellence package (varies from US spec but essentially all the features minus B&W and DHP).

Luckily we were provided a 48hr take-home tester and loved the ride. Was spec'd similar to how we'd order it minus the wheels (21" vs. 22").

Just wondering if there's a lot to be gained by adding the Dynamic Handling Package to a factory order for $4K CAD ($2900 USD). Is it worth it? Any experienced owners glad they got it and/or those who felt it wasn't a game changer?

LMK

Cheers!
-Be safe and be healthy

Last edited by Sherlock Ohms; 03-28-2020 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Based on my experience, yes. I love it. I put more detail here:

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1703934
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #3
Sherlock Ohms
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post

Thanks! That was helpful. I connected with the statement that it gains agility with IAS. I'm getting the X7 for my wife and she likes the idea of a large 6-seater SUV, but hates the "land yacht" feel of some of the competitors (cough, Navigator, cough). I think the DHP will be essential in this case.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
Quote:

Thanks! That was helpful. I connected with the statement that it gains agility with IAS. I'm getting the X7 for my wife and she likes the idea of a large 6-seater SUV, but hates the "land yacht" feel of some of the competitors (cough, Navigator, cough). I think the DHP will be essential in this case.

Cheers!
The X7 is such a joy to drive; it doesn't feel like a boat on any level. IMHO the DHP makes it even more fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:29 PM   #5
Sherlock Ohms
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The X7 is such a joy to drive; it doesn't feel like a boat on any level. IMHO the DHP makes it even more fun to drive.
Having driven a dealer take-home for 2 days which didn't have the DHP, I honestly found it hard to beleive it could drive any better. That being said, I'm not going to buy antoher one of these for 5 years or so, might as well get done right the first time.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Quote:
Having driven a dealer take-home for 2 days which didn't have the DHP, I honestly found it hard to beleive it could drive any better. That being said, I'm not going to buy antoher one of these for 5 years or so, might as well get done right the first time.
The DHP is absolutely worth getting, not only from comfort perspective but also from safety perspective.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Just wondering if there's a lot to be gained by adding the Dynamic Handling Package to a factory order for $4K CAD ($2900 USD). Is it worth it? Any experienced owners glad they got it and/or those who felt it wasn't a game changer?
Yes. Worth every penny on any variant of the X7. If you want the vehicle to handle like a BMW you need this option. If you prefer the floaty disconnected feeling of a LX or a base GLS then skip it.
Appreciate 2
aas5171.00
      03-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Sherlock Ohms
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
The DHP is absolutely worth getting, not only from comfort perspective but also from safety perspective.
Yeah, I'm sold on it now. But are DHP features different in the US vs Canada?

The two features added with DHP here are Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview and Integral Active Steering. All the other safety features come with the premium excellence package.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Same features for USA and Canada. No, differences.

IAS provides a maximum rear axle slip steering angle of 2.5°. When changing lanes at highway speeds, the wheels on both axles turn in the same direction - allowing the X to "glides sideways" into the next lane reducing the forces acting on the vehicle compared to only front wheels turning. At low speeds under 30mph, the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction to decrease the turning radius for more maneuverability eg parking. The reduction in turning radius is approximately 1m or 3ft.

Note on vehicles with IAS: when stopped rear wheels visually don't turn and only when moving - if you adjust side mirrors down you can see them turn but it's very slight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #10
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The two features added with DHP here are Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview and Integral Active Steering. All the other safety features come with the premium excellence package.
If you're getting a 40i, you should be able to just option IAS if you don't want the whole package. M50i requires the entire DHP.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #11
Sherlock Ohms
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Same features for USA and Canada. No, differences.

IAS provides a maximum rear axle slip steering angle of 2.5°. When changing lanes at highway speeds, the wheels on both axles turn in the same direction - allowing the X to "glides sideways" into the next lane reducing the forces acting on the vehicle compared to only front wheels turning. At low speeds under 30mph, the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction to decrease the turning radius for more maneuverability eg parking. The reduction in turning radius is approximately 1m, appropriately
3ft.

Note on vehicles with IAS, the rear wheels visually don't turn when stopped but only when moving - it's very slight.
Thank you, that was very helfpful!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #12
Sherlock Ohms
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If you're getting a 40i, you should be able to just option IAS if you don't want the whole package. M50i requires the entire DHP.
Going for X40i, so we're optioning it in. Honestly, I was weighing the B&W vs. the DHP.

I'm an audiophile so I'd prefer the B&W. But as the wife said, she rarely gets a moment to enjoy music with the kids in the car, so kinda pointless.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #13
AKittrell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7; 2018 Panamera 4S

Quote:
Going for X40i, so we're optioning it in. Honestly, I was weighing the B&W vs. the DHP.

I'm an audiophile so I'd prefer the B&W. But as the wife said, she rarely gets a moment to enjoy music with the kids in the car, so kinda pointless.
If you want to elevate your interior cabin, you have to find a way to add the B&W. It takes the interior to another level along with the leather dash and alcantara headliner. The sound is unbelievably superior to the standard or HK.

I would look at the numbers with and without both and I am sure they will be willing to deal at this current time so you may be able to offset the difference of adding both.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #14
Sherlock Ohms
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKittrell View Post
If you want to elevate your interior cabin, you have to find a way to add the B&W. It takes the interior to another level along with the leather dash and alcantara headliner. The sound is unbelievably superior to the standard or HK.

I would look at the numbers with and without both and I am sure they will be willing to deal at this current time so you may be able to offset the difference of adding both.
I agree, and it's pretty much fully loaded with DHP, only thing left is the B&W. I'm sure I can work something out. Let's see. It's not a deal breaker honestly.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #15
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Yes. DHP is a must, especially for a vehicle this large, it helps the X7 drive the way a BMW should.
      03-29-2020, 08:46 PM   #16
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe you need both
Appreciate 0