forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Review of a Black XM

10-01-2022, 03:59 AM   #23
M2_CSL
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

This is an automotive design marvel. A work of art by BMW. Better than any other luxury SUV out there by far in terms of design.
Appreciate 3
      10-01-2022, 06:57 AM   #24
wesleyan92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC || M5 Comp || X7 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X740i  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Fact is that all X built US vehicles for the German market had a pre-sale inspection at Plant Dingolfing prior to being released to the German dealerships. This was at least the case for the F15/F85 models. A BMW Germany employee told me this years ago.
Word of one employee or a procedural move in no shape or form implies there are statistically significant quality issues in the US plants. BMW would not continue to double down on their Spartanburg facilities if that was the case.

Quote:
If you have every toured Plant Greer you will notice the quality signs everywhere as a reminder for the production associates.
Every manufacturing factory in the world has "quality" signs; the number of signs does not denote underlying quality issues.

Quote:
My two recent X5M's have had minor quality issues that my German built M4 verts have not.
Statistically not significant or definitely not enough for a global brand to change their entire global manufacturing strategy and move production from North America to Germany.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your sentiment but to take a broad brush stroke and, at the same time, criticize "US based tier 1 suppliers" based on outdated biases is not fair.

Just my two cents.
      10-01-2022, 07:56 AM   #25
Bimmer5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
I received the following e-mail before and deleted. As a current F95 ZCP owner, I have never had any interest in this whale of car. Even told the PCD staff when asked if I would order the XM a firm "NO!" when I picked up my G83 earlier this year.

"ULTIMATE POWER. ULTIMATE LUXURY. Are you one of the few who dare to go beyond? Meet the BMW XM a vehicle that transcends ordinary notions of adrenaline and aesthetics. You've never held such force in your hands. The BMW 4.4-liter TwinPower Turbo engine is paired with a high-performance electric motor to put out a staggering 644 horsepower and 590 Ib.-ft. of torque.
Be extravagant and expressive. Set your legacy in motion by being one of the first to transcend all others. Pre-order the BMW XM, and discover the edge of your world. Or contact a Client Advisor at
bmwofXXX.com to learn more about the BMW XM."

The marketing is just geared towards the "poser" crowd. When is the XM Kith edition announcement? Or the Kayne West Yeezy XM Launch Edition?

I sense an other M8 coupe/vert debacle when XM's are sitting on the lot and there are incentives galore to move units.
I can make a bet with you that XM will sell very well. It's a large luxury SUV - that's what wealthy people buy these days. There will be more interest in this car than in the new M2. Lol.
Issue is the XM is manufactured in the US. I have noticed a drop off in quality from the F85 to F95, such as a lower quality alcantara headliner. BMW Manufacturing Greer is well know for quality issues. US based tier 1 OEM suppliers do not have the same quality control as Germany. BMW should have have chosen Werk Dingolfing for final assembly at this price point, as the 7 and 8 series and Rolls-Royce bodies are manufactured at Dingolfing.
Your are right about the quality issues, I recently traded my X3M in for a M3.
The X3 had paint peeling on plastic parts.
chrisk03153.00
      10-01-2022, 05:24 PM   #26
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

This thing is hideous, sorry.
      10-02-2022, 07:32 AM   #27
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
I received the following e-mail before and deleted. As a current F95 ZCP owner, I have never had any interest in this whale of car. Even told the PCD staff when asked if I would order the XM a firm "NO!" when I picked up my G83 earlier this year.

"ULTIMATE POWER. ULTIMATE LUXURY. Are you one of the few who dare to go beyond? Meet the BMW XM a vehicle that transcends ordinary notions of adrenaline and aesthetics. You've never held such force in your hands. The BMW 4.4-liter TwinPower Turbo engine is paired with a high-performance electric motor to put out a staggering 644 horsepower and 590 Ib.-ft. of torque.
Be extravagant and expressive. Set your legacy in motion by being one of the first to transcend all others. Pre-order the BMW XM, and discover the edge of your world. Or contact a Client Advisor at

The marketing is just geared towards the "poser" crowd. When is the XM Kith edition announcement? Or the Kayne West Yeezy XM Launch Edition?

I sense an other M8 coupe/vert debacle when XM's are sitting on the lot and there are incentives galore to move units.
I can make a bet with you that XM will sell very well. It’s a large luxury SUV - that’s what wealthy people buy these days. There will be more interest in this car than in the new M2. Lol.
Sadly Alex…I'm not going to take your bet as I think you'd win it. Give BMW kudos though for at least creating the 2 series a few years back…an attempt to 'go back to the roots' of even for just a few short years.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      10-02-2022, 09:30 AM   #28
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I can make a bet with you that XM will sell very well. It's a large luxury SUV - that's what wealthy people buy these days. There will be more interest in this car than in the new M2. Lol.
Sadly Alex…I'm not going to take your bet as I think you'd win it. Give BMW kudos though for at least creating the 2 series a few years back…an attempt to 'go back to the roots' of even for just a few short years.
I think people should be grateful BMW is making vehicles like the X5M, X6M and XM as they enable them to create better M cars in general. The idea that it "dilutes" the brand to me is nonsense. By that same logic, did Porsche creating the Cayenne dilute their brand? Pretty sure cars like the GT3 are still amongst the most highly sought after. At the end of the day, as long as BMW is still producing high quality M2s, M3s etc. then whether or not the make M SUVs is irrelevant.
Appreciate 3
Al Pinã1838.50
AlexFL7833.00
      10-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #29
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_CSL View Post
This is an automotive design marvel. A work of art by BMW. Better than any other luxury SUV out there by far in terms of design.
I agree! I don’t think I’ve liked an SUV design this much before, ever.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 3
PNWM3526.00
AlexFL7833.00
Sedan_Clan24814.00
      10-02-2022, 10:43 AM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Issue is the XM is manufactured in the US. I have noticed a drop off in quality from the F85 to F95, such as a lower quality alcantara headliner. BMW Manufacturing Greer is well know for quality issues. US based tier 1 OEM suppliers do not have the same quality control as Germany. BMW should have have chosen Werk Dingolfing for final assembly at this price point, as the 7 and 8 series and Rolls-Royce bodies are manufactured at Dingolfing.
The F85 is built in the U.S. too. X5's, for the most part, have been built in South Carolina or Mexico since the late 90's.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 12:22 PM   #31
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
I think people should be grateful BMW is making vehicles like the X5M, X6M and XM as they enable them to create better M cars in general. The idea that it "dilutes" the brand to me is nonsense. By that same logic, did Porsche creating the Cayenne dilute their brand? Pretty sure cars like the GT3 are still amongst the most highly sought after. At the end of the day, as long as BMW is still producing high quality M2s, M3s etc. then whether or not the make M SUVs is irrelevant.
That would be fine if BMW produced a universally praised enthusiast car like the GT3, but they are pushing out a lot of really questionable vehicles lately.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3478.50
      10-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #32
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhiro View Post
Quote:
That would be fine if BMW produced a universally praised enthusiast car like the GT3, but they are pushing out a lot of really questionable vehicles lately.
I believe the new M3/M4 were universally praised enthusiast cars unless I missed something. The last gen M2 was most certainly universally praised as well. The M5 CS was universally praised. So in other words, the top 4 M models were ALL universally praised for their performance. Time will tell on the new M2, but one would expect the performance to exceed the previous gen, which should bode well.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24814.00
AlexFL7833.00
      10-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #33
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Porsche wouldn't even exist right now if they didn't build the Cayenne.

All these dopes complaining about a lack of 2 door sports cars available but would never in a million years plunk down the cash to actually buy one.
AlexFL7833.00
jmack1231298.50
rccarps2336.00
      10-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #34
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pin  View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Porsche wouldn't even exist right now if they didn't build the Cayenne.

All these dopes complaining about a lack of 2 door sports cars available but would never in a million years plunk down the cash to actually buy one.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhiro View Post
Quote:
I believe the new M3/M4 were universally praised enthusiast cars unless I missed something. The last gen M2 was most certainly universally praised as well. The M5 CS was universally praised. So in other words, the top 4 M models were ALL universally praised for their performance. Time will tell on the new M2, but one would expect the performance to exceed the previous gen, which should bode well.
Yep & yep!
Appreciate 1
jmack1231298.50
      10-02-2022, 05:04 PM   #35
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Don't understand a single word he's saying,...but seeing wayyyyyyy more of him than the freak'n ///XM!
      10-02-2022, 08:33 PM   #36
Mikeyy39
Rep
Drives: MB E63 AMG Wagon

Wild!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 04:42 AM   #37
Kid on a Tricycle
Rep
n/a
Drives:

OMG….my eyes!!!
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2022, 11:31 AM   #38
hksr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

Quote:
I can make a bet with you that XM will sell very well. It’s a large luxury SUV - that’s what wealthy people buy these days. There will be more interest in this car than in the new M2. Lol.
Exactly. You can tell this thing will have a major presence on the road. That coupled with the fact the price tag on some of the high end models of this are pushing $200k will be a statement piece for the upper class that can afford this thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 09:40 PM   #39
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

That has to go down as one of the ugliest vehicles ever made. wow. No, wait, there is the potential cybertruck. This reminds me of expensive clothes and shoes. The weirder they are and the more they cost, the more people want them to be different. weird.
Appreciate 0