BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 2023 Angular Bits on the front.

09-14-2022, 11:43 AM   #1
hsunesara786
Mike786
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 2023

X7 2023 Angular Bits on the front.

Is it just me or does anyone else also not like the chrome Angular bits at the bottom on the front of the new X7 2023?
Or is everyone opting for M Sport package.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 12:12 PM   #2
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsunesara786 View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else also not like the chrome Angular bits at the bottom on the front of the new X7 2023?
Or is everyone opting for M Sport package.
It is the one thing that I do not like for sure. I can't understand how everyone cries about the headlights and says nothing about that. I would only ever buy this vehicle with the M Sport package because of this. That's just my opinion. And then when you get the M Sport package you get the fangs, which aren't too bad, but that's the reason I think darker colors look better too. The headlights have grown on me and I don't mind them. And the grill never bothered me. But I agree that the M Sport package is a must because of those accented angles.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #3
skids929
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I actually like them alot once I saw it in person. Looks great, almost makes me feel like there is no need for the Msport. Everyone has the dang Msport anyway so it I like that it is different.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #4
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
It is the one thing that I do not like for sure. I can't understand how everyone cries about the headlights and says nothing about that. I would only ever buy this vehicle with the M Sport package because of this. That's just my opinion. And then when you get the M Sport package you get the fangs, which aren't too bad, but that's the reason I think darker colors look better too. The headlights have grown on me and I don't mind them. And the grill never bothered me. But I agree that the M Sport package is a must because of those accented angles.
Are you referring to this? What are they called and what are they for?

I hate them...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 12:49 PM   #5
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I actually like them alot once I saw it in person. Looks great, almost makes me feel like there is no need for the Msport. Everyone has the dang Msport anyway so it I like that it is different.
My beef with the msport packages is that the sport exhaust option included in the msport professional was unremarkable. Ir is very muted. This was inside the showroom.

I then listened to a stock 40i luxury and it sounded almost the same.

I haven't been on a long test drive but If the exhaust was quiet standing next to it then there will be almost no sound inside .

(Option 1ma).

Why build an msport 40i that has no vrooom .

Before I get attacked, I like the msport look a lot. But this is going to be my wife's car. So we are going with creature comforts.

Sparkling coppper / black / free wheels but adding BW speakers, dynamic handling , glass controls , etc etc . Basically everything except the executive package and drivers assistance

I would rather blast some music on the speakers .

Final build is about 4k less than the budget msport build .

I don't have any experience with the V8 exhaust . It is out of my budget. Also, wife would never use the power.

Yes, if money is not an issue msport all the way .

To get back on topic, the chrome on the front is actually a satin finish. Not a bright chrome like the pre lci.

It does make a difference and depending on the color can actually work .
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 12:57 PM   #6
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post

I hate them...
Yeah. I don't understand why they would want them to jump out. But if some people really like them, great. At least there are options to show it off or try to hide them.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. I don't understand why they would want them to jump out. But if some people really like them, great. At least there are options to show it off or try to hide them.
Are they for looks or do they have a function?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 01:14 PM   #8
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Are they for looks or do they have a function?
I can't remember where I saw it, but I believe in another thread someone mentioned that the driver side inlet is closed but the passenger side inlet is open and is to help cool the radiator maybe? Like maybe a cold air intake of sorts?
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      09-14-2022, 01:35 PM   #9
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
I can't remember where I saw it, but I believe in another thread someone mentioned that the driver side inlet is closed but the passenger side inlet is open and is to help cool the radiator maybe? Like maybe a cold air intake of sorts?
I googled BMW X7 air inlet ..I found this. That could be it:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 01:54 PM   #10
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
There are radiator(s*) in the corner(s) of the bumpers.

On the pre-LCI, there are exposed open vents in the corners of the bumpers. See photo below.

On the LCI bumper you can see that the main bumper is solid in the corners, the radiators are not exposed to open air. The angular triangle pieces have a hole in them, that's how air flows into the radiators on the LCI.

Ultimately the whole angular thing is just for appearance. There are a million ways to design the air inlet, BMW's designers previously chose to have them open to the air with a honeycomb grille in front, now they chose to make that angular abomination with a hole in it. They could have also chosen to make a non-angular not-abomination with a hole in it

*: The V8 has a radiator in each corner. The I6 only has it in one corner since it needs less cooling; on the other side the vent is blocked off. The pre-LCI just has a solid plastic piece instead of the open honeycomb vent. On the LCI I would assume there's an internal solid plastic piece inside the angular trim, instead of having it be open for airflow.

As a side note: On the very sides of the LCI bumper are two openings (below the lower headlight, in front of the orange reflector). Those are air ducts for brake cooling. The pre-LCI has it integrated into the very edge of the honeycomb vent in the lower corner - in my photo, look at the left edge of the vent, you can see the front opening of that air channel (the vertical skinny matte black plastic).
Attached Images

Last edited by PinkNinja400Guy; 09-15-2022 at 06:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2022, 07:35 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
There are radiator(s*) in the corner(s) of the bumpers.

On the pre-LCI, there are exposed open vents in the corners of the bumpers. See photo below.

On the LCI bumper you can see that the main bumper is solid in the corners, the radiators are not exposed to open air. The angular triangle pieces have a hole in them, that's how air flows into the radiators on the LCI.

Ultimately the whole angular thing is just for appearance. There are a million ways to design the air inlet, BMW's designers previously chose to have them open to the air with a honeycomb grille in front, now they chose to make that angular abomination with a hole in it. They could have also chosen to make a non-angular not-abomination with a hole in it

*: The V8 has a radiator in each corner. The I6 only has it in one corner since it needs less cooling; on the other side the vent is blocked off. The pre-LCI just has a solid plastic piece instead of the open honeycomb vent. On the LCI I would assume there's an internal solid plastic piece inside the angular trim, instead of having it be open for airflow.

On the very sides of the LCI bumper are two openings (below the lower headlight, in front of the orange reflector). Those are air ducts for brake cooling. The pre-LCI has it integrated into the very edge of the honeycomb vent in the lower corner - in my photo, look at the left edge of the vent, you can see the front opening of that air channel (the vertical skinny matte black plastic).
My understanding is that the passenger side air vent is only for the M50i and the 40i with the towing package. There's another post in here somewhere that talks about this.

My 2020 X7 40i was an October 2019 build. It has the towing package radiator and open air intake like shown in the picture. I believe it was standard for both the 2019 and early 2020 builds of the X7 but was removed in the later part of 2020. So, both Passenger and driver side air intakes were closed off if you didn't order either the towing package or the M50i. Pictures of my 2020 40i Driver and Passenger side air intake are shown below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 08:41 PM   #12
hsunesara786
Mike786
Rep

Quote:

I hate them...
That was what I was referring to.
Haven’t seen in person so that is why I am not sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 12:27 PM   #13
RecklessOne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MDX, Wrangler 4xe, X7(ordered)

Quote:

I hate them...
Interesting that the Alpina has body color 'angular bits'. I actually like the body-color look much more than either the silver or black.

Wonder if you could swap the part after-market?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 12:33 PM   #14
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
My beef with the msport packages is that the sport exhaust option included in the msport professional was unremarkable. Ir is very muted. This was inside the showroom.

I haven't been on a long test drive but If the exhaust was quiet standing next to it then there will be almost no sound inside .

(Option 1ma).

Before I get attacked, I like the msport look a lot. But this is going to be my wife's car. So we are going with creature comforts.

Sparkling coppper / black / free wheels but adding BW speakers, dynamic handling , glass controls , etc etc . Basically everything except the executive package and drivers assistance

I don't have any experience with the V8 exhaust . It is out of my budget. Also, wife would never use the power.

To get back on topic, the chrome on the front is actually a satin finish. Not a bright chrome like the pre lci.

Msport for the steering wheel alone. One of my favorite features.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #15
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post

(Option 1ma).

Msport for the steering wheel alone. One of my favorite features.
Ooo. Great point, . I actually have an X3m wheel sitting in my closet with the red m1/m2 . I would just need to buy msport air bag.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 01:16 PM   #16
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessOne View Post
Interesting that the Alpina has body color 'angular bits'. I actually like the body-color look much more than either the silver or black.

Wonder if you could swap the part after-market?
I was actually wondering why BMW didn't paint them the same as the body color?! It just makes no sense!
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2022, 01:16 PM   #17
hsunesara786
Mike786
Rep

Quote:
I was actually wondering why BMW didn't paint them the same as the body color?! It just makes no sense!
That’s exactly they ended up doing with Alpina.
Appreciate 0