BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Best Quick detailer?

09-30-2022, 11:12 PM   #1
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Best Quick detailer?

My garage is full with LEDs, and after a car wash, even minor streaks pokes my OCD really bad.

I tried all kind of quick detailers than you can think of, that I use for a final clean wipe. Tried all ceramic, graphene based, etc ones, and some are good, some are bad, some are okay.

The best I found: I was shocked; I read about ONR (Optimum No Rinse ONR) and it’s claimed that at a 1/16 mixing ratio it is a good detailer in a sprayer. I tried it, i am impressed!!! It removes streaks, can be used to clean light dust when rushing a wash, and leaves streak free surface!

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 11:13 PM   #2
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

MystroX5 thought I must tag you here for thoughts on best options/brands to use! Also, what are you thoughts about ONR @1/16 ratio?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 05:28 AM   #3
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 40i - Tanzanite/Coffee

I agree 100% and have been using ONR since 2013 back when I had a jet black 3 series. Great for washing in the garage in the winter too. I use 2 cap fulls in a spray bottle for touch ups which is about the same ratio you use. I also like chemical guys hybrid wax spray as a quick hit if our car will be outside more than normal like when on vacation. Helps protect against spots from the rain.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 07:53 PM   #4
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTJ99 View Post
I agree 100% and have been using ONR since 2013 back when I had a jet black 3 series. Great for washing in the garage in the winter too. I use 2 cap fulls in a spray bottle for touch ups which is about the same ratio you use. I also like chemical guys hybrid wax spray as a quick hit if our car will be outside more than normal like when on vacation. Helps protect against spots from the rain.
yes, each cap is 0.5 oz, so 2 caps is basically 1oz (~1:16) ratio in a 16 oz spray bottle.
For washing, I use 1:256, which is 1 oz per 2 gallons of water.
I try to use distilled water or drinking water bottle for my quick detailer 1:16 mix, but for the 1:256 washing mixture, I use tap water (but I have a water softener in my home)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

In general there are some very respectable detailing sprays I have used over the years that are not expensive at all. Try “Adams Detail Spray” first and see what you think. Get it by the gallon. I can use it everywhere including glass when on a road trip. This is especially good for not leaving a film behind requiring you to use a lot of microfiber cloths. FYI: Make sure you are using the right kind of microfiber cloths and you are NOT washing them anywhere near a machine that has fabric softener. A lot of streaks post wash comes from contaminated washing/drying cloths. Fabric softener from the washer or dryer contaminate your microfiber cloths even though they look clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...XVDKAOR1&psc=1

This is my microfiber cloth of choice. I get them in every color for different parts of the car. I exclusively use the color white just for the interior of the vehicle.

https://www.autogeek.net/storm-gray-12pack.html

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/arct...B#.Yzjpyy0pCfA

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-01-2022 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 08:55 PM   #6
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
In general there are some very respectable detailing sprays I have used over the years that are not expensive at all. Try “Adams Detail Spray” first and see what you think. Get it by the gallon. I can use it everywhere including glass when on a road trip. This is especially good for not leaving a film behind requiring you to use a lot of microfiber cloths. FYI: Make sure you are using the right kind of microfiber cloths and you are NOT washing them anywhere near a machine that has fabric softener. A lot of streaks post wash comes from contaminated washing/drying cloths. Fabric softener from the washer or dryer contaminate your microfiber cloths even though they look clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...XVDKAOR1&psc=1

This is my microfiber cloth of choice. I get them in every color for different parts of the car. I exclusively use the color white just for the interior of the vehicle.

https://www.autogeek.net/storm-gray-12pack.html

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/arct...B#.Yzjpyy0pCfA
Never heard of cobra microfibers. What made you go with this product since they have only 3 reviews on Amazon, and not generally available unless ordered through the vendor?

I have Adam's, but for some reason I found ONR to leave a more clean surface, or better in cleaning dust from the surface.

Am interested to hear your thoughts about ONR as a detailing spray
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 09:29 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Never heard of cobra microfibers. What made you go with this product since they have only 3 reviews on Amazon, and not generally available unless ordered through the vendor?

I have Adam's, but for some reason I found ONR to leave a more clean surface, or better in cleaning dust from the surface.

Am interested to hear your thoughts about ONR as a detailing spray
I found the the tag less Cobra microfiber towels just work better on any surface. They have the perfect nap and wash clean making them very durable. I have hundreds of them as part of my concourse tool kit. I don’t use ceramic coatings on my paint, just wheels. For my paint I use various wax combinations. P21 is a favorite of mine and why maybe I don’t get streaks or hazing with my detailing products. Some paint top coats can be very fussy with streaks.

I have used other waterless cleaning sprays like McKee's 37 but for more as a secondary cleaning product when away from home on the road. They work great providing you have many micro fiber towels and spray liberally and don’t use much pressure when wiping off. I use a lot of the product as a lubricant on the paint as not to leave hairlines. Once again the right microfiber cloth is the key.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-01-2022 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 10:01 PM   #8
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I found the the tag less Cobra microfiber towels just work better on any surface. They have the perfect nap and wash clean making them very durable. I have hundreds of them as part of my concourse tool kit. I don’t use ceramic coatings on my paint, just wheels. For my paint I use various wax combinations. P21 is a favorite of mine and why maybe I don’t get streaks or hazing with my detailing products. Some paint top coats can be very fussy with streaks.

I have used other waterless cleaning sprays like McKee's 37 but for more as a secondary cleaning product when away from home on the road. They work great providing you have many micro fiber towels and spray liberally and don’t use much pressure when wiping off. I use a lot of the product as a lubricant on the paint as not to leave hairlines. Once again the right microfiber cloth is the key.
I'll try those towels as I have been searching for awhile now and can't find anything that check all the marks. Some are too soft, some are too cottony and shred tiny hair cotton pieces, etc..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #9
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Wolfgang makes the best no rinse formula. Search on YouTube. I buy it by the gallon. More slick than ONR
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 12:46 PM   #10
ddno1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7bmw23 View Post
Wolfgang makes the best no rinse formula. Search on YouTube. I buy it by the gallon. More slick than ONR
Please provide a link to the product
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 12:50 PM   #11
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddno1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by x7bmw23 View Post
Please provide a link to the product
Thanks
https://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-Conc...a-566726416246
Appreciate 1
ddno166.00