forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Headlights on LCI

09-30-2022, 03:51 PM   #23
guywithcat
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

No, it's not a feature. It's a bug. Unless you've seen it driving it won't make sense but it's no feature.
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1839.50
      09-30-2022, 04:02 PM   #24
guywithcat
Private
Rep

This is 100% NOT a feature. If you drive with it and see the shadow bouncing up and down in the middle of the road as the car moves, and then it becoming an uneven jagged line when the high beams come on, you will see. It is 100% a bug.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:53 PM   #25
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Sounds about right for BMW. Just like the "New and Enhanced" "Comfort Access" where the person with a key fob in their possession gets to grab the passenger door handle and set the driver's profile to their profile even though they aren't driving the car.

Welcome to the new generation of "Cracker Jack" educated engineers. It's a new "ENHANCEMENT" feature. Doesn't matter if you're driving the car or not. We'll just set the driver's seats and all the other settings to the person who's going to sit in the passenger seat. Makes PERFECT sense to a DUMB ASS.
Attached Images

Last edited by mitch57; 09-30-2022 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:09 PM   #26
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Sounds about right for BMW. Just like the "New and Enhanced" "Comfort Access" where the person with a key fob in their possession gets to grab the passenger door handle and set the driver's profile to their profile even though they aren't driving the car.

Welcome to the new generation of "Cracker Jack" educated engineers. It's a new "ENHANCEMENT" feature. Doesn't matter if you're driving the car or not. We'll just set the driver's seats and all the other settings to the person who's going to sit in the passenger seat. Makes PERFECT sense to a DUMB ASS.
This one really irks me as I experience this all the time.

Another one that is bothersome is how the proximity sensors for the auto lock/unlock aren't smart enough to recognize when your doing a task that requires you to stay somewhat close to the car, such as washing it, to where it should just remain unlocked. Instead it wants to lock and unlock itself 99 times like it's retarded.
      09-30-2022, 09:50 PM   #27
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pină View Post
This one really irks me as I experience this all the time.

Another one that is bothersome is how the proximity sensors for the auto lock/unlock aren't smart enough to recognize when your doing a task that requires you to stay somewhat close to the car, such as washing it, to where it should just remain unlocked. Instead it wants to lock and unlock itself 99 times like it's retarded.
Yes indeed. It is RETARDED. Again, a bunch of freaking "Cracker Jack" Engineers/Programmers who have absolutely NO COMMON SENSE! Then, all you need to do is add a dash of Corporate freaking idiots who think their Engineers/Programmers are GENIUSES!

It was probably the Engineers/Programmers/Corporate Bean Counters at BMW who came up with the "BMW Genius" name for a bunch of 3rd grade educated tech support personnel who answer the phone and attempt to read from a script on how to troubleshoot issues with the "half baked" software that the Programmers/Engineers developed from their 2nd grade level common sense.

My experience, coming from the IT industry, reiterates my opinion and experience that most programmers are anti social people who spend days and nights on end programming but have no clue about how the rest of the world interacts with technology and the people they are programming the technology for.
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1839.50
      10-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #28
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Hey, we don't use the R-word here. You should say "intellectually disabled".

And what's wrong with the "Cracker Jack", hugh? Everyone likes popcorn ....

And don't blame the programmers, they just want to make a world a better place, it's the bean counters you need to worry about.
Appreciate 1
ddno166.00
      10-01-2022, 02:57 PM   #29
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Hey, we don't use the R-word here. You should say "intellectually disabled".

And what's wrong with the "Cracker Jack", hugh? Everyone likes popcorn ....

And don't blame the programmers, they just want to make a world a better place, it's the bean counters you need to worry about.
FOH
Attached Images

10-01-2022, 03:53 PM   #30
guywithcat
Private
Rep

Please do not use the R word. It is offensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 04:30 PM   #31
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

From my view point and priorities, BMW as a car company is dangerously “unfocussed” so much now it’s chronic. I find this very disturbing as we are not price point shopping for a luxury vehicle so it’s not like BMW will just get business because that’s all someone can afford as in a Kia or Hyundai. I have to “love” a vehicle if I am to spend $130k+. BMW is losing their identity and they either don’t care or think the last few years of a hot car market has them believing they can take reckless chances. The new look of the 4 series isn’t selling, no one likes the look of the M3/M4. The 8 series isn’t selling at that price point. I am sure the M5 enthusiast are having night sweats on how bad BMW can butcher its next look. BMW can’t put enough horsepower in a vehicle to outrun a “ugly” design. Funny enough that BMW isn’t doing radical designs with their entry/aspirational level vehicles.
Either way BMW feels like a car company in a death spiral and can’t pull out of it.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-01-2022 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
mitch57804.50
      10-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #32
M_Chronos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Again, yes, a feature. The patterns you are seeing on the garage wall vertically are how the patterns in the link below are created horizontally. If you get variable light distribution coded back in you will get the mix of patterns in that link as you drive. I think the VLD coding out option from factory on X7 is option "8TT Decoding additional functions II." I suspect getting VLD coded out (disabled) on US models gets us some mix of pattern 3 and 5 as our distribution is fixed and not variable; this is what you are seeing on the garage door. Light distribution patterns has been around in the BMW world for quite a bit.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...ornering-light

In Europe there are or were rules about light output in city centers so you would have a "city lights" setting. Suspect this is BMW automating this plus adding, yes, a feature of other distributions based on speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 01:56 AM   #33
ddno1
Private First Class
Rep

Mine
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
lcd12326.00
      10-02-2022, 02:43 AM   #34
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddno1 View Post
Mine
That looks as annoying as Hell! BMW needs to fix this.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56283.50
      10-02-2022, 09:09 AM   #35
guywithcat
Private
Rep

The guy who thinks it is a feature is again, wrong, dealer told me it's a confirmed problem and they are pushing BMW for a fix. So, listen, guy who thinks it's a feature, you need to let this one go. It's ok to be wrong. Let's move on. The image you posted is from 2008. European and American limitations on headlights do not include blurry spreads when you turn on highbeams. ITS A BUG
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1839.50
      10-02-2022, 09:27 AM   #36
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

Don't they test this stuff?!?
Appreciate 1
MystroX56283.50
      10-02-2022, 10:07 AM   #37
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
That looks as annoying as Hell! BMW needs to fix this.
^^^Absolutely. It looks distracting and will cause eye fatigue if you drive a lot at night. The bigger question is how that could have passed even minimal quality control in the design phase?? That is extremely concerning as it begs the question what other issues will surface down the road from such lack of attention to design?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 12:14 PM   #38
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep

bUt iTs a DeSiGn FeAtUrE…..
      10-03-2022, 10:26 AM   #39
M_Chronos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

For the love... some of us are just so easily irritated. I'm not getting in the way of your complaining. I've come here to give a bit back to the group with info, to the best of my knowledge, to answer the OP question and not aggressively shut down other's opinions. If you don't like the way BMW designed and implemented something; have at it, bitch away. If only there was a forum where people could post up ideas to problems or issues that may be differing of opinions without someone puking out responses of "listen" and "move on." Oh wait, that's here. I can absolutely see why that light pattern could be irritating but I promise I have no thoughts or desires to call your opinion stupid.

What the OP describes is a "not flat" light distribution as it is a "weird pattern or dark area projecting ahead of the vehicle." BMW has had some type of pattern to its light distributions for DECADES. This is nothing new. Just trying to give the the OP some context for when/if they speak to their service advisor. The pattern shown in the pic 100% went through BMW engineering as requirement -> design -> solution. I'm not attacking your opinion on the solution aspect. Again, giving context to what the OP is asking. Could / will that pattern change with SW updates? Sure. Do I think we are getting a less than ideal compromise over what the other markets are getting with full variable light distribution? I do.

Look below and you'll see plenty of examples of what light distributions have looked like over the years.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...&bih=601&dpr=3
Appreciate 6
      10-03-2022, 11:40 AM   #40
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

While I have no input to provide on whether this is a feature or engineering error; I just want to comment on that fact that we all should accept and appreciate each other's input and do our best to not aggressively attack other's opinion or describing it as "stupid"

I was on the same position when I shared my thoughts and leaks I got on the LCI, and was rudely attacked by 3 members continuously, all of them had to shut up and were forced to move away and never ever poke around my thread, plus, one of them was banned from the entire website, others left with humiliation and shame with a number of their responses deleted.

it is a forum and people are free to share what they think. If we disagree, that's great, but it adds no value to simply refer to other's response as stupid or so. Let's keep this forum clean, useful, and friendly.

Finally, in my opinion, even if it is a feature, I think at the very least then it was implemented so poorly!. If it is an engineering error, it's a shame. In both cases, something is wrong even if it's a feature (the final results and implementation are horrible for a vehicle like this). Also, I am not sure what the engineering team that designed the entire split headlights on the X7 were thinking, starting from a poor design language, to poor implementation. The 7-series looks good, but the X7 apparently was rushed into retrofitting it with such headlights without enough engineering/research done. I'd be interested though to see if the 7-sedan has the same issue.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 10-03-2022 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #41
guywithcat
Private
Rep

I agree with BMW5and7. I've only posted a few times and angry people come out an mansplain to me that I should "check the manual." Not sure what that accomplishes.
Appreciate 2
BMW5and71048.00
K1984tx21.00
      10-03-2022, 01:37 PM   #42
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

I think we have to stop referring to what OP observed as a "feature". It's NOT.

Most likely, since the new adaptive lighting law has been passed, BMW has prepared the headlights to be (mechanically) identical between EU and US. However, because the lighting pattern requirements between EU and US are so different and due to BMW decision not to activate the matrix functionality on US version of the vehicle, US market vehicles end up with this funky looking light pattern. Those darker areas (that look like the Apple Pill) appear to be deactivated, or dimmed led zones (kind of like on a LED TV). The best way to confirm that is to look at the light pattern coming from EU headlights. Anyone outside US that can upload a picture?

Also, it's NOT a design flaw.

What it is - MOST PROBABLE - a poorly implemented work around, in order to comply with SAE (DOT) light pattern when the matrix functionality of the headlights is neutered. The only thing left for BMW to do is to push an update to the vehicles to enable matrix functionality and voilà pattern fixed.

Now, will BMW do that? They already demonstrated unwillingness to activate features in already sold vehicles in the past, so probably no. Maybe when they finally implement the subscription model it's going to be possible to do that, who knows.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #43
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywithcat View Post
I agree with BMW5and7. I've only posted a few times and angry people come out an mansplain to me that I should "check the manual." Not sure what that accomplishes.
Mansplianing? Seriously?

What it accomplishes is not having dozens of duplicate posts clogging up the board. There's a search feature there for a reason. Many people's questions would be answered in minutes by just using that search button.
      10-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #44
guywithcat
Private
Rep

Al Pina -- I looked around, you seem to pick fights with people all over the place. And people seem to scold you for it. I suspect you have this issue all over your life. Please just leave me alone.

Last edited by guywithcat; 10-03-2022 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71048.00