BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Bench Seat vs Captains Chairs

09-30-2022, 02:37 PM   #111
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Can confirm Captain Chairs are very comfortable and more luxurious. Legroom is not spectacular but sufficient when adjusted all the way back. That being said, I’m still leaning towards the bench. One other benefit to the bench is just having the middle seat to throw my kids’ jackets on top of, snacks, their toys, and backpacks. The kids will be in their forward facing seats for another couple of years, and I’m not stuffing them in the third row so no one gets to enjoy those Captain Chairs!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:05 PM   #112
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

To me it's a pretty basic decision. If I'm going to have adult sized passengers in the second row on a frequent basis then the Captain Chairs make sense for comfort and convenience of those passengers. However, if your like me where you rarely have passengers in the second row then the bench seats make the most sense. Much more versatile than the captains chairs for cargo and child seats.

We are empty nesters who make frequent road trips with just the two of us. So the bench seats are an absolute "NO Brainer" for our situation due to the more customizable configuration of the bench seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 12:16 AM   #113
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
I've been looking at certified pre owned X7 vehicles for a few months, now. I'm 90% sure we've found one. It has captain seats in the back. My wife loves that and it's for her, so I'm for it. She feels like it gives an upscale look and feel and she likes upscale. As if the X7 wasn't upscale enough, anyway… but I digress… I could personally make an argument for either. It's a coin flip for me. The third row folded down gives enough cargo space for us.

I will offer one observation from experience and hopefully this isn't redundant because I haven't read the whole thread. I had 2nd row captain seats on a Yukon before. The cargo complaint I had isn't about folding the 2nd row. But the gap between them will allow things in the cargo area to roll or shift forward between the captain seats if you have to slam on the breaks. You lose that solid separation between cargo and passenger areas.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 07:04 PM   #114
dc2023x7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ordered X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
There is one more benefit of the Captain’s Seat that I don’t think gets enough mention and that’s the avoidance of Bench Seat Claustrophobia.

We have a lived with the third row seat in our X5 for three years now and while we only use it situationally and it definitely comes in handy, the bench seat in front makes it a very isolated experience in cramped quarters and has made my kids carsick. Combination of the proximity of the bench to their faces and because they cannot see out of the windshield in the front of the car.

The gap between the Captain’s is going to give them better situational awareness and make them feel a lot better back there. We are giving up the 7th seat specifically for this reason.
This is good information as I have ordered the Captain chairs for my X7.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1239.00
      10-01-2022, 07:12 PM   #115
dc2023x7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ordered X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Me too, and I don't even have my X7 yet. Love the little stuff that everybody's pulling out and sharing with others. Little stuff make ownership just that much better.
Agreed. I’ve ordered my X7 but the dealership I’m going through has not received it’s authorization yet. Patiently waiting 😢
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 03:08 AM   #116
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Went for another test drive w/ Captains, this time with a friend. As mentioned above, the Captains are spacious enough and a lot more luxurious and comfortable than the bench. More importantly, I was very pleased sitting in the third row while in motion. It’s a vastly different experience sitting back there vs. a bench. There’s a lot of space at the shoulder level between the Captains which creates a very airy and open feel. You’re no longer facing the backside of the bench or its headrests, you feel very connected with the second and first row. Sitting back there while in motion is so different than sitting there stationary.

I have a 2022 X5 so if we ever need to haul large items, we’ll be using the X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 07:07 AM   #117
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has them, so here is my additional $.02…..

To each their own I guess, but I find it interesting that many who have posted in this thread seem to place a "premium" on the comfort and concerns of rear passengers - even those in the 3rd row. When shopping for my X7, I also sat (briefly) in the second and third rows (including the Captain's chairs), just to get a basic idea, but then left it at that when it came to any passenger concerns - especially any kids.

I purchased my X7 for my overall driving experience and enjoyment, not to be an Uber service, worrying too much about any rear passengers I may carry (although I feel like an Uber sometimes, taking my younger son to his many activities - I think many parents can relate ). The seating in the 2nd and 3rd row, even the bench option in the second row, is more than adequate for essentially any passenger (save someone with a physical disability possibly). And yes, the 3rd row is more cramped, regardless of bench or captain's chairs, but it was never intended for full size adults for extended rides - but is still better than nothing in a pinch if needed. And should be fine for kids too (so I say throw them back there if/when needed and make them eat their vegetables ).

And as far as kids are concerned, I love and support mine, as any good parent should. I also like to give them "nice" things they like and want (and I do). But barring some special physical need (which my kids don't have, fortunately), I could really care less about their comfort as passengers since I already know the X7 is more than adequate. Not to mention the fact that the kids (or other adult passengers for that matter) don't pay $$ for ANYTHING, so their "say" about the seating in the X7 is going to be limited, if not completely ignored .

In the end for me, I really wanted Captain's chairs - my previous SUV (Ford Expedition EL) had them, and I liked that basic look and layout for many reasons described in this thread. But unlike my previous SUV, the X7 Captain's chairs did not fold flat, which was a deal breaker for me since I wanted the max cargo carrying capability, which comes in handy for me a lot more than worrying about the comfort of any rear passengers, kids or adults. Like taking my son back to college (see pics below - so much crap ). But I have never had any complaints from my passengers sitting on the bench, quite the opposite actually.

But, at the end of the day, all that matters is what YOU want, what YOU like and what works best for YOUR family. After all, it still is YOUR money .
Attached Images

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 07:50 AM   #118
JayM40i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW x7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has them, so here is my additional $.02…..

To each their own I guess, but I find it interesting that many who have posted in this thread seem to place a "premium" on the comfort and concerns of rear passengers - even those in the 3rd row. When shopping for my X7, I also sat (briefly) in the second and third rows (including the Captain's chairs), just to get a basic idea, but then left it at that when it came to any passenger concerns - especially any kids.

I purchased my X7 for my overall driving experience and enjoyment, not to be an Uber service, worrying too much about any rear passengers I may carry (although I feel like an Uber sometimes, taking my younger son to his many activities - I think many parents can relate ). The seating in the 2nd and 3rd row, even the bench option in the second row, is more than adequate for essentially any passenger (save someone with a physical disability possibly). And yes, the 3rd row is more cramped, regardless of bench or captain's chairs, but it was never intended for full size adults for extended rides - but is still better than nothing in a pinch if needed. And should be fine for kids too (so I say throw them back there if/when needed and make them eat their vegetables ).

And as far as kids are concerned, I love and support mine, as any good parent should. I also like to give them "nice" things they like and want (and I do). But barring some special physical need (which my kids don't have, fortunately), I could really care less about their comfort as passengers since I already know the X7 is more than adequate. Not to mention the fact that the kids (or other adult passengers for that matter) don't pay $$ for ANYTHING, so their "say" about the seating in the X7 is going to be limited, if not completely ignored .

In the end for me, I really wanted Captain's chairs - my previous SUV (Ford Expedition EL) had them, and I liked that basic look and layout for many reasons described in this thread. But unlike my previous SUV, the X7 Captain's chairs did not fold flat, which was a deal breaker for me since I wanted the max cargo carrying capability, which comes in handy for me a lot more than worrying about the comfort of any rear passengers, kids or adults. Like taking my son back to college (see pics below - so much crap ). But I have never had any complaints from my passengers sitting on the bench, quite the opposite actually.

But, at the end of the day, all that matters is what YOU want, what YOU like and what works best for YOUR family. After all, it still is YOUR money .
I agree with all of this but my bigger concern isn't necessarily comfort but being able to use all of the seats if needed. I was trying to determine what the best setup is for a family with two car seats (one forward facing and one rear facing. Kids will be in them for a while so the actual seat comfort is all about their car seat at the moment. Wanted to know the best options to accommodate other passengers. Also, how much cargo space do you really lose with the captains?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 08:08 AM   #119
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM40i View Post
Quote:

I agree with all of this but my bigger concern isn't necessarily comfort but being able to use all of the seats if needed. I was trying to determine what the best setup is for a family with two car seats (one forward facing and one rear facing. Kids will be in them for a while so the actual seat comfort is all about their car seat at the moment. Wanted to know the best options to accommodate other passengers. Also, how much cargo space do you really lose with the captains?
Don't know the actual volume amount lost, but look at the pics I posted where you can see the bench folded flat to fit all of my son's crap. While I theoretically could have packed his stuff on/around the Captain's chairs, I think you can get an idea of the cargo space lost with them vs the bench that completely folds flat. Also, larger/bulkier items would fit better as well as the max single size of what you could carry would not be limited by the seat backs of the Captain's chairs.

Regarding car seats, I never had to deal with them in the X7 as my kids are older. However, from what I can gather after reading other's posts on the subject, it seems like the bench is a bit more flexible with car seats than the Captain's chairs. But to be sure, I would just take your car seats to the dealer and do a test fit since not all car seat brands fit exactly the same (even though they are all built to the same safety standards).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
JayM40i59.00
      10-02-2022, 04:57 PM   #120
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:

I have two kids in convertible car seats and there have been a few times that I wished I had captains seats instead of the bench. When you have car seats on the bench, there's no access to the 3rd row unless you climb over the 2nd row or over the backside of the 3rd row since the bench can't move forward/down to give access. It's obviously a huge pain to uninstall a car seat just to let somebody into the 3rd and then reinstall it.
Appreciate 1
JayM40i59.00
      10-03-2022, 10:04 AM   #121
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2023x7 View Post
This is good information as I have ordered the Captain chairs for my X7.

You're welcome. To me, this is the most important consideration.

If you've got 5 or 6 in the car, having that Captain's space between the 2nd Row seats means that anyone in the 3rd Row is going to feel 'normal' during trips, especially the little ones who wind up spending the most time there.

That Bench seat is like a giant wall that they can't see over or through and it's tremendously claustrophobic for them. Even for adults, those headrests limit visibility through the windshield. The gap between the Captain's means they won't get nauseous, it's incredibly important.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #122
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
When shopping for my X7, I also sat (briefly) in the second and third rows (including the Captain's chairs), just to get a basic idea, but then left it at that when it came to any passenger concerns - especially any kids.

I purchased my X7 for my overall driving experience and enjoyment, not to be an Uber service
...until the kids can't see over the Bench seat wall and start vomiting and begging you to take any other car on road trips.

And, since every X7 owner with more than 4 passengers needs one anyway, just buy a bigger cargo box for those times that you've got to haul the older kids to college and the Captain's take up a smidge more cubic feet.

There is no point in having a car with a 3rd Row seat at all if they are going to be miserable there. Just buy an X5 and give it up entirely. But if you need the 3rd Row and you buy-in to the concept of having 4-6 passengers in the vehicle, do it right and make that 3rd Row experience a good one. And that means Captain's.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 10:37 AM   #123
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
When shopping for my X7, I also sat (briefly) in the second and third rows (including the Captain's chairs), just to get a basic idea, but then left it at that when it came to any passenger concerns - especially any kids.

I purchased my X7 for my overall driving experience and enjoyment, not to be an Uber service
...until the kids can't see over the Bench seat wall and start vomiting and begging you to take any other car on road trips.

And, since every X7 owner with more than 4 passengers needs one anyway, just buy a bigger cargo box for those times that you've got to haul the older kids to college and the Captain's take up a smidge more cubic feet.

There is no point in having a car with a 3rd Row seat at all if they are going to be miserable there. Just buy an X5 and give it up entirely. But if you need the 3rd Row and you buy-in to the concept of having 4-6 passengers in the vehicle, do it right and make that 3rd Row experience a good one. And that means Captain's.
[IMG][/IMG]

This may help if bench is a must
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 01:40 PM   #124
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I think our perspectives on how much we really should care about how "miserable" someone may be in the third row (or the 2nd row bench for that matter), especially when it comes to kids, are very different. And that is ok . My teenage son spends time in the 3rd row (currently 14 yrs old, and ~5' 10"; was 12 when I got the X7). He has never complained about nausea or claustrophobia, but then he knows it will fall on deaf ears with dad. He also knows there are more important things to complain about - which he learned when he was very young . He just hops on his smartphone like most kids his age, and younger do, and goes on with life… And as far as potentially vomiting in my X7, he knows his life would be forfeited if he did . I guess I just believe in more "tough love" than other parents….

I have had other, younger kids (not mine) in the 3rd row as well, with no complaints either…..

Don't disagree about the cargo carrier as I have been eying one for a while now for the reasons you mentioned. Just too lazy to finally do it since it has not been an urgent need. At least not yet…

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 02:31 PM   #125
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVLustMaster View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

You have just made the case as to why Captain’s are the better choice.

If you are going to have 6 passengers just get them. There is no need for the Bench. If you are going to have 5 passengers just get the X5. If you are going to have 7 passengers, don’t get a BMW.
Appreciate 2
JayM40i59.00
NGT25409.50
      10-03-2022, 04:01 PM   #126
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

You have just made the case as to why Captain’s are the better choice.

If you are going to have 6 passengers just get them. There is no need for the Bench. If you are going to have 5 passengers just get the X5. If you are going to have 7 passengers, don’t get a BMW.
Quote:
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

You have just made the case as to why Captain's are the better choice.

If you are going to have 6 passengers just get them. There is no need for the Bench. If you are going to have 5 passengers just get the X5. If you are going to have 7 passengers, don't get a BMW.
Captains are not the better choice for some.

If you need to accommodate 7 and/or need full storage, you need the bench. For these folks, they have the option to fold down the middle seat to help with claustrophobia. I would argue that for some families with young children, the bench is better because the child seat tethers are located on the back side of the seat, not in the floor in the Captains configuration.
Appreciate 3
jmciver1823.50
rgrovr416.50
      10-03-2022, 10:05 PM   #127
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocogrey1985 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I have two kids in convertible car seats and there have been a few times that I wished I had captains seats instead of the bench. When you have car seats on the bench, there's no access to the 3rd row unless you climb over the 2nd row or over the backside of the 3rd row since the bench can't move forward/down to give access. It's obviously a huge pain to uninstall a car seat just to let somebody into the 3rd and then reinstall it.
This is why we ultimately went with one that has captains seats in the back.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 06:45 AM   #128
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

If you need to accommodate 7 and/or need full storage, you need the bench. For these folks, they have the option to fold down the middle seat to help with claustrophobia. I would argue that for some families with young children, the bench is better because the child seat tethers are located on the back side of the seat, not in the floor in the Captains configuration.
If you need to accommodate 7, you belong in a minivan. The X7 is not a 7 passenger vehicle. On a rare occasion it can be used to transport 7 people, but you can’t squeeze 7 people in it for even a weekend trip because there’s no room for luggage even with a generous cargo box on the roof.

If you need lie flat storage to the point where you need to pick up the whopping extra 8 square feet that the bench provides, you belong, again in a minivan.

And, as already stated, installing car seats on the bench makes it nearly impossible for passengers to get into the 3rd row without removing the seats each time.

The X7 is a 6 passenger luxury car. It’s not a people-hauling minivan. It’s not a lumber-hauling pickup truck. It’s the car you graduate to when you are done with minivan life. When your 6 passenger family has dwindled to 5 or 4 and you will only need the pop-up 3rd row infrequently. The 3rd row is a great situational option, no different than heated seats or something else you only need a handful of days per year. It’s not something you can use on the daily. The X7 is not a minivan replacement for the family of 6 with kids-under-five crowd.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2022, 08:03 AM   #129
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

The car is whatever passenger-model you need it to be if you're paying the bill to buy it. Want it as a 7-passenger freight mover? Good. Want it as a 6-passenger transporter? Good. Want it as a large 4 passenger lux-SUV? Good.

Stop trying to dictate to all these owners what's right for you must be right for them.

Full disclosure - I have the captain's now and have ordered the bench in my next M60i, FWIW.
Appreciate 3
NGT25409.50
jmciver1823.50
keg97154.50
      10-05-2022, 10:55 AM   #130
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you need to accommodate 7, you belong in a minivan. The X7 is not a 7 passenger vehicle. On a rare occasion it can be used to transport 7 people, but you can’t squeeze 7 people in it for even a weekend trip because there’s no room for luggage even with a generous cargo box on the roof.

If you need lie flat storage to the point where you need to pick up the whopping extra 8 square feet that the bench provides, you belong, again in a minivan.

And, as already stated, installing car seats on the bench makes it nearly impossible for passengers to get into the 3rd row without removing the seats each time.

The X7 is a 6 passenger luxury car. It’s not a people-hauling minivan. It’s not a lumber-hauling pickup truck. It’s the car you graduate to when you are done with minivan life. When your 6 passenger family has dwindled to 5 or 4 and you will only need the pop-up 3rd row infrequently. The 3rd row is a great situational option, no different than heated seats or something else you only need a handful of days per year. It’s not something you can use on the daily. The X7 is not a minivan replacement for the family of 6 with kids-under-five crowd.
The X7 must be used in the manner demanded by Todd Walton. If your utility deviates from the Todd Walton standard, get a mini-van!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 10:56 AM   #131
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
The car is whatever passenger-model you need it to be if you're paying the bill to buy it. Want it as a 7-passenger freight mover? Good. Want it as a 6-passenger transporter? Good. Want it as a large 4 passenger lux-SUV? Good.

Stop trying to dictate to all these owners what's right for you must be right for them.

Full disclosure - I have the captain's now and have ordered the bench in my next M60i, FWIW.

Todd is just passionate.

I also ordered the bench version earlier this week. 👍
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 02:26 PM   #132
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The X7 must be used in the manner demanded by Todd Walton. If your utility deviates from the Todd Walton standard, get a mini-van!
Exactly.

If I recall correctly, you are a family of 4 and you have two SUV's. So for you, if you want the bench over the Captain's, go for it, doesn't matter, the 3rd Row is an afterthought to you. I'm talking to the person who a) has a family of 5 or 6 or 7 with b) car seat kids in the mix and my advice is solid in that regard- you want the Captain's or you want another brand of vehicle.

5 or 6 will be miserable having to remove 2nd Row car seats constantly or doing yoga to get to the 3rd Row. 7 will be miserable just like 5 or 6 with the added insult of having no way to transport their belongings.

But, please, go ahead and watch your YouTube videos and don't listen to an owner who has spent the last 40 months in scenarios just as he is describing.
Appreciate 0