forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Stop Sale

09-24-2022, 09:34 AM   #45
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

For what it’s worth, my X7 went to the dealer last Wednesday to replace a sensor in the drivers assist (no error but some diagnostic at delivery reported an issue). I also got my rear wiper replaced after the car wash snafu. A line item on the repair order said something about recall and putting some info in the user manual in the glovebox.

My SA just called me and said I can come pickup the car. I was moderately concerned they may not release it due to the stop sale since it’s in their possession and I have a loaner, but alas I’m picking it up this morning without issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 10:30 AM   #46
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
For what it’s worth, my X7 went to the dealer last Wednesday to replace a sensor in the drivers assist (no error but some diagnostic at delivery reported an issue). I also got my rear wiper replaced after the car wash snafu. A line item on the repair order said something about recall and putting some info in the user manual in the glovebox.

My SA just called me and said I can come pickup the car. I was moderately concerned they may not release it due to the stop sale since it’s in their possession and I have a loaner, but alas I’m picking it up this morning without issue.
Right because they can’t keep the car if you own it. The stop sale is for cars that have not been handed over to the customer yet until that happens they still own the car. You will more than likely get a letter in the mail once they have a fix for it. But once you see the letter it will be a quick fix… in and out of the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 10:52 AM   #47
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post

I think because ownership has transferred to you already. It will be treated like any other recall. They'll send you a letter to let you know that your vehicle is subject to a recall.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 02:21 PM   #48
Minhaz617
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

Attached are the details on Recall.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #49
srix7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhaz617 View Post
I am even more confused now, so BMW has a software fix but only for vehicles manufactured after 20th Sept. how?

Unless parts/hardware has changed after 20th Sept why can’t same patch work for others?
Appreciate 1
lcd12326.00
      09-24-2022, 03:41 PM   #50
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by srix7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhaz617 View Post
I am even more confused now, so BMW has a software fix but only for vehicles manufactured after 20th Sept. how?

Unless parts/hardware has changed after 20th Sept why can’t same patch work for others?
They all likely need the patch, they just can't deliver anymore vehicles until the fix is ready and approved.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #51
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by srix7 View Post

Well we're certainly going to test this. I just checked and my production date was technically 9/21. According to this voluntary recall notice, I shouldn't be impacted. Now my rational side tells me my production date technicality won't make a difference but my emotional side (which usually wins out LOL) immediately texted my CA asking if this means I can have my car now.

I'm assuming it's going to be a "no" but I'm half tempted to call BMW Consumer Relations on Monday and insist that I should be able to take delivery based on my date falling outside of those impacted.

I don't know if any of you have noticed this, but your production date is usually the date your vehicle finishes QC and is given to the carrier. It goes to reason that any of the vehicles being held up in QC would obviously have production dates out of the given window as well. Hmm....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 07:12 PM   #52
danbone7
Private
Rep
Drives: X7

How is it possible that vehicles produced after September 20th aren't impacted at this point? You have to assume they don't have the software yet to fix the issue for any of these vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 09:14 PM   #53
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

CA sent me a screenshot; see attached. My production date is in fact 9/21. He's going to fire off an email to their rep and ask some questions. I'm going to call consumer relations on Monday and try to find out more. My X7 is technically outside of the production date range listed. Not optimistic about that, obviously. Dealer did say federal law does not allow a vehicle with an open recall to be sold to a customer which okay I get. I just wish there were some sort of liability waiver I could sign since this doesn't sound like a real safety thing per se.

"Due to an electronic control unit (ECU) programming issue, potentially affected vehicles may not meet a Federal Requirement regarding the interaction between the turn signals and the day time running lamps."

^^ Seriously?! We're BMW drivers. Not like much interaction is happening with the turn signals anyway
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #54
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

So are all the newly produced X7s just sitting in a lot somewhere or are they still shipping then to dealers and making them hold on to them before they can actually sell them?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 10:00 AM   #55
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 528

Mine shipped yesterday. Was in QC for 38 days. Awaiting transport since last Monday, and left yesterday. Interestingly, my VIN according to my SA doesn't show a stop sale at this point. Maybe it will show that status once it reaches the dealer.....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 06:53 PM   #56
psychrunner
Rep
Drives: BMW e60 535, e23 735

Week 40 build (October 4)?

Thanks for the informative thread re: this Stop Sale business. So, if I am following all of this accurately, my October 4 build should not be impacted since the last day of "recall" is September 21? Seems strange that BMW would have been able to come up with a fix that quickly AND apply it in Spartansburg.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #57
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychrunner View Post
Thanks for the informative thread re: this Stop Sale business. So, if I am following all of this accurately, my October 4 build should not be impacted since the last day of "recall" is September 21? Seems strange that BMW would have been able to come up with a fix that quickly AND apply it in Spartansburg.
i'm pretty sure that they will stop sale everything produced until they have the fix. i suspect that they had to "recall" anything that had already left the factory and was released into the distro channel; everything after that would just be stop sale'd at the dealer until they finish the update, get it approved, then flashed by the dealers.

its a nuanced thing but i believe any unit that had be released to distribution (sent to the dealers) have to be "recalled". anything produced after will just have a stop sale, whether or not they actually ship them to the dealer (i suspect they will as they would rather have them out of SC, and its faster for the dealers to update than in the lot at sc)
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 10:44 PM   #58
lcd123
LCDG
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 m60i

After waiting since April for my M60i, it finally arrived Saturday. Looks beautiful, but it is under a stop sale. But would it makes sense, since it looks like a late October target for the recall fix, to go ahead and re-order another vehicle from another dealer?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:09 AM   #59
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd123 View Post
After waiting since April for my M60i, it finally arrived Saturday. Looks beautiful, but it is under a stop sale. But would it makes sense, since it looks like a late October target for the recall fix, to go ahead and re-order another vehicle from another dealer?
Not going to be late October for the fix. And you run the risk of getting held up in QC again.

My build date was 9/6.. still in QC….
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:21 AM   #60
RecklessOne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MDX, Wrangler 4xe, X7(ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessOne View Post
My SA hasn't contacted me yet, but I wanted to know if the stop sale might be affecting my vehicle. Found this link:
https://bmw-recall-tool.netlify.app/
on this thread for the G80:
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1865007

I'm showing a defect code 0099310200

Would be curious what others are showing.
Curious what others affected by the stop sale are showing on the above system? Mine flipped from vin status “open” to “closed” over the weekend.

An older build at my dealership still shows open and a newer build shows nothing.

Note: it will show ‘no recall’ (since there is no official recall yet). Anything with vin status “open” is supposedly evidence of an outstanding stop sale.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:26 AM   #61
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Curious what others affected by the stop sale are showing on the above system? Mine flipped from vin status “open” to “closed” over the weekend.

An older build at my dealership still shows open and a newer build shows nothing.

Note: it will show ‘no recall’ (since there is no official recall yet). Anything with vin status “open” is supposedly evidence of an outstanding stop sale.
I just used it to check my VIN (car entering assembly line as of now), and I show no issues. Shouldn't it show the stop sale issue? I'm so confused.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:42 AM   #62
joerockt
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
Not going to be late October for the fix.
I really doubt this. They can't sell any X7's until this is fixed. Would think they have engineers working 24x7 to do so. My GF's X7 arrived last Friday, she was going to pick it up Sat morning and got the call. Bank financing was already locked in and she had to pickup the check otherwise her interest rate would for sure go up. Horrible timing
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:51 AM   #63
RecklessOne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MDX, Wrangler 4xe, X7(ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
I just used it to check my VIN (car entering assembly line as of now), and I show no issues. Shouldn't it show the stop sale issue? I'm so confused.
Since your production date will be after September 22nd, you should not be subject to the stop sale. At least as of now…
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:58 AM   #64
srix7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
Stop sales are issued for the vehicles at the dealerships not at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 09:01 AM   #65
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

When using the NHTSA.gov website to check recall status, be sure to check the "Vehicle" option and enter "2023 BMW X7". The recall might not appear for VINs that have not been sold (delivered to a customer) inasmuch as a vehicle can't be "recalled" if it hasn't been "sold". The documents that appear under the "Vehicle" should specify the number of vehicles and production interval of vehicles included.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 09:26 AM   #66
joerockt
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Since your production date will be after September 22nd, you should not be subject to the stop sale. At least as of now…
I think that's just a technicality on the TSB. There is no fix, so they can't sell the car even if production was after the 22nd.
Appreciate 0