BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Stop Sale

09-27-2022, 08:46 AM   #89
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessOne View Post
Fair point... the rollout seems like it's been a total disaster. Not sure if this is typical for BMW.

[somewhat in jest] I believe there is an easy fix for the issue -- pull the fuse for the daytime running lights. They are not mandated in the US. No DRL = no interactions with the turn signals to worry about. Put the fuse back in when the software is ready.
The fuse for the DRL is likely the same fuse for the turn signal and headlights. So if you pull the fuse for DRL you also don't have turn signal or headlights.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 09:03 AM   #90
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

My dealer just called me. I’m still stuck in QC since 9/6. He offered to give me another allocation and order the same one again. Last week the BMW rep told them it will be out of QC the end of September. But now I think something is up. Because my dealer just told me I’m not going to see the one I ordered for a month or more. And who knows how long this stop sale is going to last.

So with that news I’m about 75% sure I’m walking away. I’ll throw tires on my 2020 X5 for now and drive it until next year OR I’ll buy a 22 M50i… there is one about an hour and a half from my house with 13k miles in davit gray.

Not sure but I’ll make my decision soon… either way.

But the allure of the 2023 X7 for me has worn off and hearing about all these issues. They product was obviously rushed too quick. And to top it all off I have been driving my wife’s car for the last two weeks because the dealer offered me a trade in value but was only if my car came back to them under a certain mileage.. I asked the dealer for more mileage because of all this and they said another 500 miles. Which doesn’t get me very far as I am on the road all the time.

So my car has been mostly parked in the garage and I hate driving my wife’s RX350… it’s a good reliable car. But not for me…
Appreciate 2
jphcbpa311.50
awesoM306.50
      09-27-2022, 09:56 AM   #91
jphcbpa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i & 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
My dealer just called me. I’m still stuck in QC since 9/6. He offered to give me another allocation and order the same one again. Last week the BMW rep told them it will be out of QC the end of September. But now I think something is up. Because my dealer just told me I’m not going to see the one I ordered for a month or more. And who knows how long this stop sale is going to last.
Have you been banging on your dealer for updates / information or was this more of an unsolicited / random phone call to update you ?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 10:15 AM   #92
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphcbpa View Post
Have you been banging on your dealer for updates / information or was this more of an unsolicited / random phone call to update you ?
Dealer has been upfront and keep me updated from the beginning. I have pushed a little to get them to talk to their BMW Rep as to why some cars are leaving QC in a matter of days and some are in there for weeks or more. Thats why they originally said the end of September to get out of QC missing a rear seat latch etc. So now I think something is up. Like some other part is on back order before I even get out of QC.

And BTW they are still sending cars from the plant even though there is a stop sale on them. They are not holding cars up in QC because of this stop sale.

So if any one is still in QC it’s not because of the stop sale.

Dealer just got 3 in on one truck yesterday and all of them are Stop sale and they left the plant on Friday. I’m in upstate NY.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa311.50
      09-27-2022, 10:59 AM   #93
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update 9/27 11:45 AM

Walked away. Dealer was really surprised. No argument on either side. He gets where I’m coming from. Deposit was refunded as soon as I got off the phone.

Told him to give me a buzz if he has something coming in and I’ll stop down to take a look.
Appreciate 2
jphcbpa311.50
MystroX56283.50
      09-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #94
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerbythelake View Post
^I wonder what their involvement is for something like this and what approval, if any, they give before BMW releases an update to their dealers?
NHTSA compliance is largely honor system based, as your excepted quotation indicates. There exists a plethora of regulations on every aspect of a vehicle's design and operation that require compliance. Manufacturers file recall documents with the NHTSA that describe the problem(s), the remedy, the vehicles affected and the severity of the defect (and even the notice letter that is sent to owners). Manufacturers are motivated by avoidance of liability and huge penalties for compliance violations.

If the cause of a recall is a defect in an option, perhaps the manufacturer can discontinue its availability and avoid a stop sale. But a standard feature isn't easily deleted, and a mandated feature can't be deleted.

Software caused problems are especially insidious, even when the issue might seem to be blatantly simple to remedy. A software release that fixes a small problem has to be completely tested for every function it performs to ensure that fixing one problem hasn't caused another. Hence, the several weeks forecast for the fix.

Inconvenient for sure, but it's reality. Patience is a virtue many of us must relearn.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 01:46 PM   #95
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:

So with that news I’m about 75% sure I’m walking away. I’ll throw tires on my 2020 X5 for now and drive it until next year OR I’ll buy a 22 M50i… there is one about an hour and a half from my house with 13k miles in davit gray.

Not sure but I’ll make my decision soon… either way.

But the allure of the 2023 X7 for me has worn off and hearing about all these issues. They product was obviously rushed too quick. And to top it all off I have been driving my wife’s car for the last two weeks because the dealer offered me a trade in value but was only if my car came back to them under a certain mileage.. I asked the dealer for more mileage because of all this and they said another 500 miles. Which doesn’t get me very far as I am on the road all the time.

So my car has been mostly parked in the garage and I hate driving my wife’s RX350… it’s a good reliable car. But not for me…
I'd just chill, let them get the fix installed, and enjoy it when you get it. They'll get it resolved, and you'll avoid walk-away remorse come November. I just saw a black one today at the dealer with M-sport. It looked very modern and very good. My only complaint is the chrome stripe and badging on the back. Im going to have to black that out somehow.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 07:44 PM   #96
JayM40i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW x7 40i

So is it a bad idea to grab a model that is still in production? Are these vehicles going to continue to be a mess? I know the first year of a new model can have problems but I can't tell if this vehicle has more problems than most or if I'm just reading too many posts.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:40 PM   #97
psychrunner
Rep
Drives: BMW e60 535, e23 735

Word from Dealer

I text my Salesperson today regarding the Stop Sale. She seemed to minimize the significance of the Stop Sale, reporting "According to Jimmy (sales manager) anything coming in won't have a stop sale. By the time yours is produced, it should already have the headlight programming which is what the stop sale is for."

Hmmm, Considering according to BMW Genius, I am scheduled for production week 40, which is next week. Seems unlikely a fix will have occurred by then.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:42 PM   #98
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM40i View Post
So is it a bad idea to grab a model that is still in production? Are these vehicles going to continue to be a mess? I know the first year of a new model can have problems but I can't tell if this vehicle has more problems than most or if I'm just reading too many posts.
I don't think ordering now is a bad move versus waiting. There's a lot new on the LCI but it's just a refresh not a complete redesign. I've had bad issues with vehicles that have been in production for multiple model years. Cars are basically rolling computers these days. You take a chance regardless. Three things to consider in my mind:

1. New features coming next year. In case you haven't read the threads, rumors are there's some new autonomous driving hardware coming in April of 2023. I say "rumor" but many around here are mostly convinced it's for sure happening and I have no reason to doubt them. Though keep in mind BMW hasn't formally announced anything yet. If being able to drive up to 80 MPH (or however high) is a big deal for you then it might not be a bad idea to wait and see what's announced if you can.

2. iDrive 8. This is the biggest wildcard. Being brand new, it's going to have bugs that they haven't uncovered or sorted out yet. I've heard some users describe the early owners as beta testers and that's pretty accurate from what I can tell.

3. Availability of parts and features. For me, this was most important and one of the main reasons I ordered now. I live in the sticks so point 1 is kind of moot; I drive on the interstate probably once every other month. I'd be much more prone to waiting for improved autonomous driving tech that drives itself around farm tractors LOL. I also mostly don't care about a few bugs here and there with iDrive. My biggest thing was being able to get things like Bowers and Wilkins sound, Dynamic Handling (on a 40i), etc. and I am more concerned about a feature like that suddenly disappearing.

There are pros and cons to everything. You can get a lemon regardless of when you order.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:45 PM   #99
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychrunner View Post
I text my Salesperson today regarding the Stop Sale. She seemed to minimize the significance of the Stop Sale, reporting "According to Jimmy (sales manager) anything coming in won't have a stop sale. By the time yours is produced, it should already have the headlight programming which is what the stop sale is for."

Hmmm, Considering according to BMW Genius, I am scheduled for production week 40, which is next week. Seems unlikely a fix will have occurred by then.
LMAO Jimmy.

Bless his heart. Hers too.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 09:00 PM   #100
Json2686
Rep
Drives: 2021 X1, 2023 X7

After 44 days in QC my car shipped out to the dealer and got there last Friday and I was scheduled for pickup on Saturday with all my financing cleared and ready to go…. Boom stop sale! I have to imagine (or maybe just hoping)this won’t last even to mid-October. This is BMWs flagship suv and I hope for their sake their fiscal year isn’t the calendar year because that’s a lot of X7s that didn’t get sold to close out the 3rd quarter. Just get the software update released!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 07:33 AM   #101
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
I'd just chill, let them get the fix installed, and enjoy it when you get it. They'll get it resolved, and you'll avoid walk-away remorse come November. I just saw a black one today at the dealer with M-sport. It looked very modern and very good. My only complaint is the chrome stripe and badging on the back. Im going to have to black that out somehow.
Dealer called me late (really late) last night. We worked it out. I’m still in a holding pattern. But I just found out 10 min ago that the reason I’m still stuck in QC is the because of components missing for the DHP option… makes sense since everyone’s M60 was flying through QC and my 40i got held up and is still there. And now you can not order DHP as an option for the 40i anymore.

Parts were being allocated for the M60 builds… they bring in More $$…

Had I knew this was going to happen I may have sprung for the M60.

Not saying that it’s right but it should be First in first out. However they don’t operate that way.

Last edited by Ace6180G07; 09-28-2022 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa311.50
      09-28-2022, 07:53 AM   #102
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Quote:
Dealer called me late (really late) last night. We worked it out. I’m still in a holding pattern. But I just found out 10 min ago that the reason I’m still stuck in QC is the because of components missing for the DHP option… makes sense since everyone’s M60 was flying through QC and my 40i got held up and is still there. And now you can not order DHP as an option for the 40i anymore.

Not saying that it’s right but it should be First in first out. However they don’t operate that way.
I spoke to the gm at a store two days ago (same day dhp was removed from the online configurator ) and dhp was showing up in the bmw ordering system.

All that really confirms is that dhp was available at that time . I don't know if it is there today . I would have to call again.

I don't want to say you are wrong but it seems like a big coincidence.

I haven't looked at the shared QC spreadsheet. Do all of the cars in the shared spreadsheet have dhp ?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 08:15 AM   #103
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
I spoke to the gm at a store two days ago (same day dhp was removed from the online configurator ) and dhp was showing up in the bmw ordering system.

All that really confirms is that dhp was available at that time . I don't know if it is there today . I would have to call again.

I don't want to say you are wrong but it seems like a big coincidence.

I haven't looked at the shared QC spreadsheet. Do all of the cars in the shared spreadsheet have dhp ?

Just looked at the sheet. Your right. It’s not conclusive and there is no smoking gun. It’s just what I’m being told today. Could be something else next week.

However the dealer also said the X5’s are also loosing options by the day. They just do t have enough parts to keep up with the demand.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 08:27 AM   #104
jphcbpa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i & 2023 X7 40i

Quote:

I too have 40i with dhp ordered. Been in QC for 10 to 11 days, about 2 weeks behind you it seems. Agree would have just gone m60 if that is really the hold up...but then we would be stuck with stop sale at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #105
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

And the hurricane storm track forecasts Spartanburg in its inland path, which might impact shipments in and out of the factory.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 08:30 AM   #106
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
And the hurricane storm track forecasts Spartanburg in its inland path, which might impact shipments in and out of the factory.

Might impact ports / ships/ railway
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa311.50
      09-28-2022, 09:04 AM   #107
Married_to_a_BFD
Rep
Drives: '15 Sienna; '23 X7 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphcbpa View Post
I too have 40i with dhp ordered. Been in QC for 10 to 11 days, about 2 weeks behind you it seems. Agree would have just gone m60 if that is really the hold up...but then we would be stuck with stop sale at the dealership.
FWIW I'm 16 days in QC on a 40i with no DHP. So,
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa311.50
      09-28-2022, 09:10 AM   #108
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

its not dhp thats causing all of the qc holds.
they are having multiple supply chain issues.
dhp just happens to be the latest.

i also am really suspicious about dealers that claim that is X option holding up a car.

historically, the factory does not tell the dealer what's holding a car in qc. there's no contact between the dealer and the factory- maybe that has changed but in the 21 years i have been ordering cars, the factory has always been a black hole, and it is intentional.
the first rule about bmw production is you dont talk about bmw production (with the dealer)
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 5
      09-28-2022, 09:11 AM   #109
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have a 40i with DHP (and every other option minus captains chairs); it went into production on 9/20 and arrived at my dealer in the Chicago area on 9/22. People have tried to find a common theme as to why some are sailing through and others are being held up and I don't think anyone has been able to pinpoint anything.

I don't think the plant is actually telling their reps and dealers what's really happening which is a big part of this problem. It's all just conjecture and creates unnecessary confusion. The response to this is simple: vehicle was delayed because of xx reason, is waiting for xx part, we hope to have said part by xx date. At that point the customer knows and can make an informed decision how they want to proceed. Nobody likes waiting in limbo.

I usually laugh when people think they're owed or are entitled to something because many times life just doesn't work like that. But here I do think there's an obligation to be upfront with your dealership franchises about what's going on. Not only does it affect the dealer's finances but the sales men and women who work on commission from selling the product and rep your brand. It's just a common courtesy I do feel is rightfully owed here.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317949.50
      09-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #110
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Agreed with all comments above. Just relaying what I heard from the dealer today.. more than likely the story will change and it will be something else next week.
Appreciate 0