09-25-2022, 07:59 PM   #1
laozixiazi
Private
Rep
Drives: 435xi coupe

2023 x7 keyless entry too sensitive

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Is there a way to reduce the radius of the digital key (my iphone 13). I feel it's too sensitive. Went out to handle some garbage, and it triggers the car every time.

But if I disable "Passive Entry" through the key app, then the digital key no longer works. I have to search the wallet app and then hit "unlock" to open the driver side door. Also there is a chance that the car won't recognize any key in the car so it does not let you start the engine.

So I think I need to keep "Passive Entry" on. But does anyone know if we can reduce the sensitivity of it so it does not unlock when I was just passing by 15 ft away?
on order: 2023 x7 m60i
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 06:47 AM   #2
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

I’m unaware of an ability to reduce the range. That said, I have passive entry off for the same reason you claim. I am still able to grab the handle and have it unlock though.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2022, 10:41 AM   #3
laozixiazi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
I’m unaware of an ability to reduce the range. That said, I have passive entry off for the same reason you claim. I am still able to grab the handle and have it unlock though.
Ok if that works for me I'd keep passive entry off too.

Does that work only for the driver side handle? Do you have to take out the phone and point it to the nfc reader every-time?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 11:18 AM   #4
ddno1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by laozixiazi View Post
Is there a way to reduce the radius of the digital key (my iphone 13). I feel it's too sensitive. Went out to handle some garbage, and it triggers the car every time.

But if I disable "Passive Entry" through the key app, then the digital key no longer works. I have to search the wallet app and then hit "unlock" to open the driver side door. Also there is a chance that the car won't recognize any key in the car so it does not let you start the engine.

So I think I need to keep "Passive Entry" on. But does anyone know if we can reduce the sensitivity of it so it does not unlock when I was just passing by 15 ft away?
We have started to keep our keys in living room , than @ the garage entrance. Doesn't beep beep every time we open the garage door now
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 11:21 AM   #5
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddno1 View Post
We have started to keep our keys in living room , than @ the garage entrance. Doesn't beep beep every time we open the garage door now
I was kind of wondering why you would want to walk around your house with your keys in your pocket. I'm glad you stated the most obvious fix!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 11:26 AM   #6
ddno1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
I was kind of wondering why you would want to walk around your house with your keys in your pocket. I'm glad you stated the most obvious fix!
I don't think OP is talking about scenarios where he/she has keys in their pocket. In our case, we have a key stand right @ the entrance door from the Garage where we keep our vehicle. Every time we open the garage door, the car unlocks itself and beeps! It is rather annoying since it happens every time we open the garage door. So we moved the keys to living room (for now) until we figure out if we can adjust the radius as OP mentioned. If it's not possible, then we will have to live with the new set up (i.e., keys in living room, not near the garage entry. Again, small issue - but annoying!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 11:31 AM   #7
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
I don't think OP is talking about scenarios where he/she has keys in their pocket. In our case, we have a key stand right @ the entrance door from the Garage where we keep our vehicle. Every time we open the garage door, the car unlocks itself and beeps! It is rather annoying since it happens every time we open the garage door. So we moved the keys to living room (for now) until we figure out if we can adjust the radius as OP mentioned. If it's not possible, then we will have to live with the new set up (i.e., keys in living room, not near the garage entry. Again, small issue - but annoying!!!
Ah, got it. Thanks. I suppose they could also be unlocking via their cell phone? If that's the case then I see the problem since I always have my phone on me.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 02:32 PM   #8
ddno1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, got it. Thanks. I suppose they could also be unlocking via their cell phone? If that's the case then I see the problem since I always have my phone on me.
I have not checked if it unlocks automatically when I have phone on me… should pay more attention next time
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #9
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
I’m in the process of upgrading my 19 50i for a 23 M60i. Can someone summarize how the phone key works? This sounds awesome — but can also see it being problematic for many reasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #10
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

This seems to be a common ask for a further refinement of the proximity key lock/unlock on approach/depart tech not just digital key specifically.

Some kind of geofenced exclusion zone to cover home driveways or garages where it doesn't perform any proximity or some limited version of proximity functions
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2022, 07:22 PM   #11
laozixiazi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yea I'm specifically asking using the cell phone as the digital key. I found it quite useful feature but if they can let us adjust the radius then it could be the perfect feature
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 07:25 PM   #12
laozixiazi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
I’m in the process of upgrading my 19 50i for a 23 M60i. Can someone summarize how the phone key works? This sounds awesome — but can also see it being problematic for many reasons.
it just works the same way as your 19' physical key. According to my dealer it works even when the phone is out of battery.

The only thing that is a bit problematic for me is that I don't want to accidentally unlock the car while I'm around with my phone. Otherwise the feature works nicely.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 07:26 PM   #13
laozixiazi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
This seems to be a common ask for a further refinement of the proximity key lock/unlock on approach/depart tech not just digital key specifically.

Some kind of geofenced exclusion zone to cover home driveways or garages where it doesn't perform any proximity or some limited version of proximity functions
yea that'd be nice. I wonder how often they listen to customer ask like this?
Appreciate 0