BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Suspension squeak

09-26-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Suspension squeak

My 2019 X7 40i has a squeak especially when it is cold. It appears to be coming from the suspension on the left side. It seems to go away when the car has been driven a half hour or so. I have had the car at the dealer several times but thy apparently can not duplicate the squeak. Has anyone else had this problem? It is annoying and certainly not what you would expect from a $100,000 vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #2
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

I had similar issue. Took today to the dealer. They only lift it up and didn't do anything. Noise is gone!!!!!!!!!! It's been like that for 2 months. According to the tech, he did not touch anything, and all he did is to lift it up to see if there is anything suspicious.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 10:04 AM   #3
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I noticed the noise disappears as I drive longer (and perhaps with temperature). It is more apparent when I first take off out from my driveway and then almost disappears longer drive.

Also, when the dealer lift the vehicle up, the noise disappeared that day. Next morning, fresh start, noise is back for the first few miles of driving.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 12:32 PM   #4
Braydenx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M & 2019 X7 50i

Sry for digging the old posts, but is this the noise u guys were getting?
https://youtube.com/shorts/pnUgdR73BDs?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/bPKUSem321w?feature=share

If yes kindly let me know if you have pinpointed the root cause? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 12:53 PM   #5
Sensibletom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I noticed the noise disappears as I drive longer (and perhaps with temperature). It is more apparent when I first take off out from my driveway and then almost disappears longer drive.

Also, when the dealer lift the vehicle up, the noise disappeared that day. Next morning, fresh start, noise is back for the first few miles of driving.

Any thoughts?
I actually considered posting about the same thing but figured I’d wait until my first service and ask the dealer. I get this type of squeak (creak) normally when I first start driving (I say normally because there were a few times that I’d hear it later on in the drive) and it usually goes away. Its almost definitely when I’m driving slowly and never when I’m well on my way. I feel like it’s coming from the front left side, it’s a very unpleasant squeak. I thought it may be the steering or suspension but I’m thinking now it’s probably the suspension. I tried recording it but it’s not loud enough for my phone to get it. I wonder if it may be the same thing. If you wind up finding some type of resolution, please post and I’ll do the same.

Braydenx. Not that sound for me. It’s more of a creaking type sound, the way an old sofa creaks.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 02:52 PM   #6
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensibletom View Post
I actually considered posting about the same thing but figured I’d wait until my first service and ask the dealer. I get this type of squeak (creak) normally when I first start driving (I say normally because there were a few times that I’d hear it later on in the drive) and it usually goes away. Its almost definitely when I’m driving slowly and never when I’m well on my way. I feel like it’s coming from the front left side, it’s a very unpleasant squeak. I thought it may be the steering or suspension but I’m thinking now it’s probably the suspension. I tried recording it but it’s not loud enough for my phone to get it. I wonder if it may be the same thing. If you wind up finding some type of resolution, please post and I’ll do the same.

Braydenx. Not that sound for me. It’s more of a creaking type sound, the way an old sofa creaks.
I am getting same noise from 2020 car…. Especially after car wash, get’s much louder.
Going to take to service next week
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 03:28 PM   #7
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofmine View Post
I am getting same noise from 2020 car…. Especially after car wash, get’s much louder.
Going to take to service next week
I don't think there is anything wrong. We changes a number of suspension components and nothing fixed it. The facts it does not appear all the time and only under certain temperature conditions, and that it disappears after 2-3 min drive, is probably an indication that nothing is wrong. We really changes many components under warranty. My service tech believes it is nothing but rubber and metal rubbing each other when the rubber gets too dry or so on a cold morning until you drive for a few min.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 03:51 PM   #8
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong. We changes a number of suspension components and nothing fixed it. The facts it does not appear all the time and only under certain temperature conditions, and that it disappears after 2-3 min drive, is probably an indication that nothing is wrong. We really changes many components under warranty. My service tech believes it is nothing but rubber and metal rubbing each other when the rubber gets too dry or so on a cold morning until you drive for a few min.
It’s annoying, reminds me Lada cars of 70’s-80’s…
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 12:50 PM   #9
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

I have the same issue with my 2019 40i. I had it to the dealer for this several times but they always say they cannot duplicate!! It is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 04:50 PM   #10
Aceking3150
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Mine has been having a similar bushing/rubber sounding squeak from the drivers front for the past month or so. ~50k miles. Living in Chicagoland, it seems a bit louder with colder weather and a light rain. Only audible at low speeds on acceleration, braking, or turning that causes the front suspension to rebound or compress. Taking it in for service tomorrow, will update with what they find.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 07:52 PM   #11
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Garage List
Worth linking my post detailing what the dealer told me about our suspension being prone to noise, and BMW good-willing the $8k repair: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2062046
      12-28-2023, 08:13 PM   #12
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
My 2019 X7 40i has a squeak especially when it is cold... It is annoying and certainly not what you would expect from a $100,000 vehicle.
Good thing you don't a $160K XB7 then.

Since new, my XB7 left front suspension has a loose "something"...mine sounds like the noise if the bolt on the sway bar link is loose, or the top bolt on the strut is loose....absolutely annoying when driving slow in a parking lot...any other time, you can't here it.

In my case, the car's been looked and nothing is loose....ugh!

Takeway? Build quality and reliability are not inversely proportional to the sticker price.

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 12-28-2023 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 11:05 AM   #13
mcstumpe
Rep
Drives: XB7, Range Rover LWB AB

i have a 2021 XB7 and i know that creaky squeek you are talking about. happens especially when the truck is in sport mode and lowered.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 11:11 AM   #14
mcstumpe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Good thing you don't a $160K XB7 then.

Since new, my XB7 left front suspension has a loose "something"...mine sounds like the noise if the bolt on the sway bar link is loose, or the top bolt on the strut is loose....absolutely annoying when driving slow in a parking lot...any other time, you can't here it.

In my case, the car's been looked and nothing is loose....ugh!

Takeway? Build quality and reliability are not inversely proportional to the sticker price.
did the your local BMW say anything about it? mine is still within warranty, and i know exactly what youre talking about driving slow through a parking lot, makes your bad ass car sound like a POS.

does yours sway a ton at higher speed? ive noticed that lately on the highway and it borderline feels unsafe
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 08:23 PM   #15
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstumpe View Post
did the your local BMW say anything about it? mine is still within warranty, and i know exactly what youre talking about driving slow through a parking lot, makes your bad ass car sound like a POS.

does yours sway a ton at higher speed? ive noticed that lately on the highway and it borderline feels unsafe

My dealership is not going to find this issue. Don't trust them with even lug nuts - yes, they used an impact to tighten all my lugs nuts..it's amazing that I'm the only one that is the recipient of their incompetency.

I took in my B7 recently, and it came back with a dent in the rear bumper, and a missing tow hook cover on the front bumper.....after an "inspection"..... Since I did not have a photo before service, it was my fault.

At this juncture, I'd rather live with the 'clicking' at low speeds for now...they aren't going to touch my '24 XB7.

The clicking is definitely coming from the strut assembly......
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 09:51 PM   #16
mcstumpe
Rep

Quote:
My dealership is not going to find this issue. Don't trust them with even lug nuts - yes, they used an impact to tighten all my lugs nuts..it's amazing that I'm the only one that is the recipient of their incompetency.

I took in my B7 recently, and it came back with a dent in the rear bumper, and a missing tow hook cover on the front bumper.....after an "inspection"..... Since I did not have a photo before service, it was my fault.

At this juncture, I'd rather live with the 'clicking' at low speeds for now...they aren't going to touch my '24 XB7.

thats such a bummer, my BMW dealership is amazing with customer service and repairs. ill let you know what they might find on mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 08:12 PM   #17
aptekcom
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S BMW X7

Mine did this about 10k miles ago (45k miles) and it was diagnosed as a bad right front air strut. It started happening when the weather got cold. Dealer replaced it and it’s quiet as a mouse again.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 02:22 PM   #18
Android604
Rep
Drives: BMW '17 X5M, '20 X7 M50

I had the squishy sounds on my front end; dealer replaced both shocks under warrantee.

Seems like these units aren't super tough/reliable.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 02:26 PM   #19
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android604 View Post
I had the squishy sounds on my front end; dealer replaced both shocks under warrantee.

Seems like these units aren't super tough/reliable.
My dealer went as far as to label it a wide-spread problem and call the design "defective."
      01-03-2024, 05:05 PM   #20
mcstumpe
Rep

Quote:

So I heard back from my dealer and they are thinking it’s a rear steering gear issue that would be covered by warrantee. Mentioned that it might also have something to do with the suspension squeak/creaking at low soeeds , keep you posted
Appreciate 0