jrmMD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 40i, '22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Brakes Grabbing

Here is one I can't find in the forum.

On 3 occasions now, each one after letting the car sit without the engine running until it shuts down iDrive on its own (like in a ferry line), when I restart the car to drive (like to board the ferry), the brakes grab and jerk, and I seem to have limited braking power, at least for a 100 feet or so, or until the engine has run for awhile...

It seems to me this might be an electrical thing, given the running the iDrive/sound/displays off battery for a bit of an extended time preceeds these events, but not sure how that might be the case...

Anyone with thoughts...mine is a '22 X7 M50i...

Thanks in Advance!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 04:47 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

So it seems like there isn’t any brake boost clamping down until you get moving?? My X7M50i sits a lot for extended time and haven’t had this backing out of the garage. I have had brake calipers stick to the rotors on my last M2C after applying the e brake when after washing it. It locked the little car up to the point I had to give it a lot of gas and they would pop free but that’s common with wet calipers and e-brake activation over night.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 05:03 PM   #3
jrmMD
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
So it seems like there isn’t any brake boost clamping down until you get moving?? My X7M50i sits a lot for extended time and haven’t had this backing out of the garage. I have had brake calipers stick to the rotors on my last M2C after applying the e brake when after washing it. It locked the little car up to the point I had to give it a lot of gas and they would pop free but that’s common with wet calipers and e-brake activation over night.
Yeah, my brakes do the same when I wash it, but this is different, it literally jerks and slows then releases then jerks again, as I push on the brake pedal until it's gone like 100 feet (or the engine has run longer)...in each case I started the car and took right off (like exiting a ferry)

Has never happened, even when letting the car sit for days at a time, only when I've sat in it using battery power
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 05:23 PM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmMD View Post
Yeah, my brakes do the same when I wash it, but this is different, it literally jerks and slows then releases then jerks again, as I push on the brake pedal until it's gone like 100 feet (or the engine has run longer)...in each case I started the car and took right off (like exiting a ferry)

Has never happened, even when letting the car sit for days at a time, only when I've sat in it using battery power
You see this happens when you’re on the ferry, is there obstacles around the car perhaps it’s trying to auto break to avoid an obstacle??
We have seen this with people pulling into a real tight garage.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #5
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Did you have auto-hold on?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:40 AM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Very good point. My last G05 X5 would be horribly grabby when it was new when auto hold was activated.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 10:47 AM   #7
jrmMD
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
No auto hold, 2 of 3 times it happened were 1. boarding the ferry, so just in line in a large lot, and pulling forward, then downhill, and the other at a parking lot where I had turned off the car, but left the key and run inside to take care of business, leaving wife in car with radio on, etc. so no notable obstacles for the car to 'see', but all three times car left long enough to turn itself off on its own.

Good ideas, though, thanks for the assistance!!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 11:50 AM   #8
jrmMD
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
refresh

Just adding a post to refresh this thread, wondering if anyone has any other ideas on this topic...
Appreciate 0