BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Seeking Help with Rear Seat Entertainment and Other Option Understanding on Pre Owned

10-02-2022, 06:07 AM   #1
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Seeking Help with Rear Seat Entertainment and Other Option Understanding on Pre Owned

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a certified X7 and there's a great variance from car to car on options list alone and I'm trying to learn more about a few options so I can better evaluate individual cars.

My personal "must haves":
Premium Package
Parking Assistance
Cold Weather

M Sport is highly desirable but not a true deal breaker

I found a car that has all of those and also adds
Luxury Seating
Driving Assistance
Integral Active Steering
Rear Seat Entertainment

Car is very nice and much higher spec than most I've seen, of course it is a little bit more but trying to determine if it is worth it. Driving assistance I didn't even play with and have never been a fan of active cruise control type systems, but open minded to it as we do take 1400 mile road trips with some regularity.

My bigger questions are the integral active steering as I think this is the first I've seen with it, and in my basic test drive it was not like I could even tell much as I didn't drive back to back cars. The rear seat entertainment was another, my daughter is 2.5 and another on the way so reading up on the RSE many people like them but my one question I couldn't find an answer to is whether they are removable. With a rear facing infant seat it is useless for a while and I just fear it could get inadvertently broken and I also don't want my daughter kicking it or also thinking that she always has access to watching because it is there. Any help/guidance on these would be greatly appreciated as I try to make a decision. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 06:34 AM   #2
themama
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7, 2016 BMW 535xi

hey there, any feature that you are looking at are worth as much as you will need them. The additional features that you mentioned are all great and are indeed deal breakers from someone else's perspective, so it boils down to, what's the price you are willing to pay for the additional features.
Integral Steering wheel: Is awesome when you need to cut the car thru tight spaces. Can I not live without it ? NO. I would have it if I get it, but wouldn't be paying too much extra for it. Again on a hind site , there is additional mechanical component to be worried about particularly during wheel alignment. (I am not sure if that's a valid concern, so I am willing to know if someone thinks it comes with zero additional maintenance)

Rear entertainment: IMo I can get an iPad or some other gadget for entertainment for kids. But yes does look fancy to have the inbuilt screens at the rear. But at Sametime, I am concerned on how kids will handle it. IMO an iPad with rugged case in hands of kids is more peaceful option for me.

Driver assistance: I love this feature and use it all the time. But not many are comfortable leaving it to the car. So it depends on how much you really want to pay more for having this feature. As this is mainly a software driven thing with few extra hardware,, I am not too worried about its mechanical failures.

I hope was able to provide some insights to bounce the thoughts on. All in all, don't overstretch the budget for any feature unless you absolutely need and love it, but do test it out to make sure how much practical it is for you. Your initial list of must haves are perfect enough for a great car.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I've never used my RES screens in the back but what IS useful is being able to watch on the front screen if that interests you.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 11:07 AM   #4
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

We use our rear seat entertainment every time we're in the car. We will likely purchase the X7 at the end of our lease and wait for BMW to add this option back to the X7 before getting a new one. Unfortunately, the iPad solution just isn't the same but to each their own on this topic.
      10-02-2022, 12:01 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Make sure you get the B&W Diamond audio system for THE best experience. From adults to youth are absolutely floored when they experience my interior.

The picture quality is outstanding in any seat but even better yet is the B&W sound stage in any seating position.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-02-2022 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 02:39 PM   #6
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by themama View Post
hey there, any feature that you are looking at are worth as much as you will need them. The additional features that you mentioned are all great and are indeed deal breakers from someone else's perspective, so it boils down to, what's the price you are willing to pay for the additional features.
Integral Steering wheel: Is awesome when you need to cut the car thru tight spaces. Can I not live without it ? NO. I would have it if I get it, but wouldn't be paying too much extra for it. Again on a hind site , there is additional mechanical component to be worried about particularly during wheel alignment. (I am not sure if that's a valid concern, so I am willing to know if someone thinks it comes with zero additional maintenance)

Rear entertainment: IMo I can get an iPad or some other gadget for entertainment for kids. But yes does look fancy to have the inbuilt screens at the rear. But at Sametime, I am concerned on how kids will handle it. IMO an iPad with rugged case in hands of kids is more peaceful option for me.

Driver assistance: I love this feature and use it all the time. But not many are comfortable leaving it to the car. So it depends on how much you really want to pay more for having this feature. As this is mainly a software driven thing with few extra hardware,, I am not too worried about its mechanical failures.

I hope was able to provide some insights to bounce the thoughts on. All in all, don't overstretch the budget for any feature unless you absolutely need and love it, but do test it out to make sure how much practical it is for you. Your initial list of must haves are perfect enough for a great car.
I agree with this, the mere presence of something does not make it worth more to me if I had no intention of using it.

The integrated steering feedback is helpful as this car is notably bigger than any car my wife has driven. I often do look at additional items as additional failure points too.

Driver assistance was helpful too, potentially something I'd warm up to and could be a nice thing on our longer road trips where I'm driving 350 miles without really stopping.
Appreciate 0