BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Unbiased Savagegeese X7 comparison - LCI vs Pre-LCI

03-01-2023, 01:33 PM   #23
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
I like it, beastly
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 01:51 PM   #24
Manual6341
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Infrequently

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz81 View Post
I like everything about this except the size of the grills. That's not coming from being "resistant to change" that's coming from the only thing I see is GRILLS. It's literally the first thing I focused on.

Just like most of the other BMW models that are designed this way, it's just obnoxiously oversized grills for no reason.

Other than that it looks great, love the color combination too.

Just my .02
As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not trying to get you riled up but here is my car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
wtwo317882.00
Patton2502936.50
DB_Cooper585.50
GERMAN M34176.50
      03-01-2023, 02:01 PM   #25
bigmixx11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C, 2022 X5, RAM 1500

I like the LCI changes. We have a '22 X5 and the lease will be up next year and we're already thinking about moving up to this X7.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 02:12 PM   #26
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_Cooper View Post
Skin in the game???

The guy bought an X7. Not sure how much more or less skin in the game one needs to have. I’m fine with someone owning a car and complaining about it vs a reviewer than has it for a few hours or days.

People get banned all the time for innocuous comments and there’s a strange bent towards a “BMW can do no wrong” mentality by some, which is a categorically false statement and epitomizes a clear bias, much more than a savage geese video that has minimal bias, relatively speaking.

I guess we can agree to disagree.
Next time properly read my post before you disagree at the very least as you would realize your post makes no sense as a response to mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 03:00 PM   #27
DB_Cooper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Next time properly read my post before you disagree at the very least as you would realize your post makes no sense as a response to mine.
I read your post.

And my response stands.

I will say it sounds a little pretentious to dismiss someone else’s comments & opinions so categorically bc they have a lower rep score than yours. This is a big reason why lots of posts devolve into name calling, banning, and a relative lack of respecting someone else’s opinion whether it’s about grills, headlights, interior/exterior design, etc. Our interaction is a great example of this, albeit not to such an extreme as I’ve witnessed on some other threads.

I’ve been on the forums long enough, with a different username, to notice there is an inherent lack of respect towards an opinion that isn’t flattering towards the brand. As much as you say people lost their shit and started posting so many negative comments about newer design elements that their banishment was justified, I’ll counter that as long as you aren’t disrespecting someone else personally you should be able to say whatever you want, especially when it’s about an automotive design.

Call me old fashioned but I’m a fan of free speech even when it’s negative to a brand I generally like.

Again, criticism is healthy.
Appreciate 4
      03-01-2023, 03:02 PM   #28
dizz81
Moving on
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral White F82 ZCP 6pd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual6341 View Post
As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not trying to get you riled up but here is my car.
You're absolutely right that's why I said that was just my .02.

Don't worry you're not going to get me riled up.

Since we are sharing
Attached Images

2011 Blk M3 ESS VT2 625/ES Race *Sold*
2018 MW F82 ZCP 6spd *Sold*
2021 Audi S5 SB
Appreciate 5
DB_Cooper585.50
wtwo317882.00
HotRodM4672.00
GERMAN M34176.50
      03-01-2023, 03:15 PM   #29
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz81 View Post
You're absolutely right that's why I said that was just my .02.

Don't worry you're not going to get me riled up.

Since we are sharing
Sounds like this has turned into a sharing thread

Name:  20230223_171720.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  244.2 KB

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 5
      03-01-2023, 03:21 PM   #30
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

The front fascia of the LCI's are growing on me. The first time I saw it online I cringed, but then seeing it in person is definitely much better. What Manual6341 did looks awesome! Great job!
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 03:39 PM   #31
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual6341 View Post
New M3 looks good, as long as it’s in darker colors and the performance is amazing. No denying that
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 03:46 PM   #32
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
X7 is a great looking vehicle, tons of presence.

BMW's design language is weird indeed, but doesn't stop me from including their vehicles in my consideration set.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 03:50 PM   #33
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
You simply haven't been here long enough (2022 newbie) as the reality is a total 180 with your claim. This is by far the most negative forum of any automotive brand forum that I've been a part of and I've been a part of a lot of them. Way more than most. A lot of BMW enthusiasts simply despise any sort of change and a good portion of posters here hate on every single new vehicle released. They had to ban a bunch of posters from posting in the G8x forums because they went total batshit crazy when photos of the new grilles leaked. Never seen anything like that in my life. Your initial claim of an unbiased take was simply incorrect plain and simple. An unbiased take would come from a reviewer that doesn't own either vehicle, isn't a BMW fan, and has no skin in the game.
Quote:
Skin in the game???

The guy bought an X7. Not sure how much more or less skin in the game one needs to have. I’m fine with someone owning a car and complaining about it vs a reviewer than has it for a few hours or days.

People get banned all the time for innocuous comments and there’s a strange bent towards a “BMW can do no wrong” mentality by some, which is a categorically false statement and epitomizes a clear bias, much more than a savage geese video that has minimal bias, relatively speaking.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

"skin in the game" ? .... truth is, most are leased. There is no skin in the game.
Appreciate 1
DB_Cooper585.50
      03-01-2023, 05:05 PM   #34
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Quote:
I read your post.

And my response stands.

I will say it sounds a little pretentious to dismiss someone else’s comments & opinions so categorically bc they have a lower rep score than yours. This is a big reason why lots of posts devolve into name calling, banning, and a relative lack of respecting someone else’s opinion whether it’s about grills, headlights, interior/exterior design, etc. Our interaction is a great example of this, albeit not to such an extreme as I’ve witnessed on some other threads.

I’ve been on the forums long enough, with a different username, to notice there is an inherent lack of respect towards an opinion that isn’t flattering towards the brand. As much as you say people lost their shit and started posting so many negative comments about newer design elements that their banishment was justified, I’ll counter that as long as you aren’t disrespecting someone else personally you should be able to say whatever you want, especially when it’s about an automotive design.

Call me old fashioned but I’m a fan of free speech even when it’s negative to a brand I generally like.

Again, criticism is healthy.
I agree 100% with that statement. Just because I have one model (2 in my case ) doesn’t necessarily mean I like the brand as a whole and that I agree with everything that they’re creating. I actually hate when corporations are trying to explain that that is our newest thing we came up with and it’s the best by far just because it’s bigger more powerful faster etc. last 3 series is 5 series size from 20 years ago. My F90 M5 is huge even though it had less legroom in the back than my old W124 Mercedes with drivers seat positioned how I liked it. And all those paying top dollar for e46 M3s and e39 M5/s are probably disagree as well. They wouldn’t be as expensive if the new models would hit the spot. Just because they do it for majority doesn’t exactly mean manufacturer is right. However every corporation is in the same business. Making money is the name of the game.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34176.50
      03-01-2023, 05:44 PM   #35
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Sounds like this has turned into a sharing thread

Attachment 3118590
Great looking color wtwo3 . In fact there are quite a few aspects of the new ///M3 that I enjoy, but that front end just ruins it for me.Thanks for sharing.
      03-01-2023, 05:47 PM   #36
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
New M3 looks good, as long as it’s in darker colors and the performance is amazing. No denying that
Looks good, until you get to the front end!! But, we all know that looks are subjective.
      03-01-2023, 06:11 PM   #37
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I think BMW and Mercedes have strongly shifted priorities to capturing newer and younger buyers. The traditionalists [like myself] who whine about steering feel or conservative styling, who grew up with E46s and hydraulic steering Bangle era cars, are either old now or have moved on and no longer care about those things. So the big grilles, predominance of SUVs in the portfolio, departure of the angel eyes, etc. are things younger and newer customers really don't care about. BMW is printing money and seems to do no wrong.

Mercedes is also going full screens and tech with their interiors, as evidenced by their own photos of the upcoming E-class interior. That stereotypical conservative 55 yr old E-class buyer in our heads who adores leather/wood/physical controls no longer exists. He/she is driving a Tesla or GLE nowadays.
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2023, 06:38 PM   #38
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I think BMW and Mercedes have strongly shifted priorities to capturing newer and younger buyers. The traditionalists [like myself] who whine about steering feel or conservative styling, who grew up with E46s and hydraulic steering Bangle era cars, are either old now or have moved on and no longer care about those things. So the big grilles, predominance of SUVs in the portfolio, departure of the angel eyes, etc. are things younger and newer customers really don't care about. BMW is printing money and seems to do no wrong.

Mercedes is also going full screens and tech with their interiors, as evidenced by their own photos of the upcoming E-class interior. That stereotypical conservative 55 yr old E-class buyer in our heads who adores leather/wood/physical controls no longer exists. He/she is driving a Tesla or GLE nowadays.
Spot on. Young people even know how to use voice controls for everything even without a user manual. Mercedes’ designs are thoroughly odd and confusing. But it’s not just this demographic shift. BMW - and MB - are investing in software and new electric platforms and slashing cogs while raising prices. Tesla effect. But you’re right the market doesn’t seem to mind…
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 06:53 PM   #39
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

He seems obsessed with “pain in balls”
Might need to have that checked
      03-01-2023, 07:09 PM   #40
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Why are they copying the Koreans with that stupid styling
I think with all the designers playing musical chairs at these companies it’s somewhat inevitable, but I kinda see what they were going for. At least in the sport trim it’s a bit of an evolution of some classic elements. The big squared off intakes on the sides of the front bumper have been around for a while. Seems like they’re trying to shift that shape upwards and into the headlight, while trying to create some illusion that the headlight is one unit. Whether that’s pleasing to the eye or successful is up to you. I think it’s interesting and not totally unprecedented for the brand though. Pardon my crappy phone drawing.
Attached Images

03-01-2023, 07:26 PM   #41
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Spot on. Young people even know how to use voice controls for everything even without a user manual. Mercedes’ designs are thoroughly odd and confusing. But it’s not just this demographic shift. BMW - and MB - are investing in software and new electric platforms and slashing cogs while raising prices. Tesla effect. But you’re right the market doesn’t seem to mind…
These brands are really just status symbols for the majority of buyers, so BMW is making products that deliver on that with attractive lease deals relative to competitors. Ultimately the brand value is so strong that people will buy almost anything these automakers produce. The name of the game is to change up the styling and tech every 3-4 years to keep the leasing game going strong.

Anybody who wants a large 3 row German SUV, their choices are literally just X7 or GLS. And in the enthusiast segment, there's even less choice. What alternatives are there to the M3? C63 really is the main one that people know about. Giulia QV and Cadillac Blackwings are highly niche products that lease like shit and lack the marketing, brand identity, and ease of ownership that automatically makes cars like the M3 and C63 the default choice even if the former is ugly and the latter is a boat with some weird 4 cyl.

Last edited by Germanauto; 03-01-2023 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 4
      03-01-2023, 11:23 PM   #42
savagegeese
Registered
Rep
Drives: 20 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 B58 View Post
"skin in the game" ? .... truth is, most are leased. There is no skin in the game.
I own the X7 in video its not leased.
And to further expland on this post unlike many people, I have driven almost every BMW including on track over the past 5 years. So its goes behind just casually experiencing these cars, we also drive every other car currently made.

Looks are subjective, period. We say this about Porsche often, they could take a dump on a box and put a Porsche badge on it and people would buy it. Same could be said about many luxo brands.

But forums, namely owners groups are cancer these days because so many people dont know how to seperate themselves from the products they own. Say anything negative about their "car" and its a personal attack on them. Gets old and why I stopped contributing on sites after a while.
Appreciate 11
RoGo330i136.50
F87source7179.00
Burrcold5047.50
G30 B581546.50
Germanauto9665.50
dizz81296.00
t0pless19.50
      03-02-2023, 04:39 AM   #43
murderspice
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Mark, love the channel. Keep doing what youre doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagegeese View Post
I own the X7 in video its not leased.
And to further expland on this post unlike many people, I have driven almost every BMW including on track over the past 5 years. So its goes behind just casually experiencing these cars, we also drive every other car currently made.

Looks are subjective, period. We say this about Porsche often, they could take a dump on a box and put a Porsche badge on it and people would buy it. Same could be said about many luxo brands.

But forums, namely owners groups are cancer these days because so many people dont know how to seperate themselves from the products they own. Say anything negative about their "car" and its a personal attack on them. Gets old and why I stopped contributing on sites after a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 06:30 AM   #44
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
This is a great review. Agree with everything he’s said about the UI/UX gong show.

I can’t help but think about the long term reliability (post-warranty) and cost to maintain these vehicles given the increasing component complexity.

I’m in the market for a third row SUV now as something for my wife to own long term (>7 years).