BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Unbiased Savagegeese X7 comparison - LCI vs Pre-LCI

03-02-2023, 06:51 AM   #45
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM3 View Post
This is a great review. Agree with everything he’s said about the UI/UX gong show.

I can’t help but think about the long term reliability (post-warranty) and cost to maintain these vehicles given the increasing component complexity.

I’m in the market for a third row SUV now as something for my wife to own long term (>7 years).
Go suburban! seriously after 5 years everything breaks on bmws
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41621.50
      03-02-2023, 07:00 AM   #46
M3CDan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24i5M60,'24X7M60,'23M3CXD

We’ve had a ton of issues w our ‘23 X7 M60 and didn’ have any problems at all w our ‘21 X7 M50; most, if not all of the problems w the new one seem to be iDrive 8 glitches, software issues etc; I wonder if BMW rushed this LCI to market without a proper integration…still love the new 48 V mild hybrid addition - we are getting about 5Mpg overall better on the new one (21 for the ‘23 vs 16 for the ‘21) My wife drives the X7 as her daily and she likes the new iDrive 8 system, as do I (we now have 3 cars with iDrive 8 so we don’t have much of a choice); it’s interesting, I have not experienced any of the iDrive 8 problems w my i4 or M3…that’s why I wonder if they did not do a good integration job on the X7…bottom line, all of the changes to the X7 seem positive to us, just wish we weren’t taking it back to the dealer so often…
2023. BMW M1000R Competition BrenTuned
Appreciate 3
      03-02-2023, 07:01 AM   #47
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

BMW is on the only company that imho still offers an exciting products in its class... I have absolutely no idea what happened to Benz w these disgusting EV offerings that looks like spaceships... at Audi, outside of EVs, everything they have is outdated and a good bit behind BMW.
      03-02-2023, 07:36 AM   #48
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
This is a great review. Agree with everything he’s said about the UI/UX gong show.

I can’t help but think about the long term reliability (post-warranty) and cost to maintain these vehicles given the increasing component complexity.

I’m in the market for a third row SUV now as something for my wife to own long term (>7 years).
I've had those concerns as well - we're looking at this as a relatively longer term vehicle (5-6 years). Speaking for the 40i, from a hardware perspective the internals are more or less the same as the pre-LCI (the mild-hybrid is new I suppose), so it's not really a 1st gen model per se. iDrive 8 is really the new part of it, but as that's all software related, the good thing is OTA updates eventually fix a lot of the bugs that are present initially. I know many LCI owners (myself included) experienced quite a few bugs in the first couple months of ownership, and it seems majority of them have been ironed out with the latest updates. I'm over 5k miles now and it's been trouble-free since those random bugs in the first few hundred miles.

Overall I enjoyed the video, my main issue was some of the nitpicky stuff in the beginning made it seem as if most of those features being labeled as "gimmicky" were exclusive to the LCI model, when in fact they're simply carryovers from the pre-LCI model. The only difference is some of the controls have been integrated into the iDrive8 screen. From that perspective yes, I did miss some of the physical controls for HVAC and some of the shortcuts in the first month of ownership - but now having owned the LCI model for nearly 6 months, I've gotten used to the new way of interacting with the car and it's every bit as intuitive (and in some cases more so as the automation is better, especially with HVAC, seat heaters/coolers, steering heater, etc)

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2023, 08:38 AM   #49
DB_Cooper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:

In the same boat. At some point something will be bought but the tentative list really is a Mazda CX90 (been really impressed w/ Mazda since owning a 2019 mazda3 hatch), GX (not a 3 row but bulletproof), X7 or Landcruiser/LX.

Waiting on the reviews and a demo to drive for the CX90, but I’m really optimistic.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 11:26 AM   #50
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagegeese View Post
I own the X7 in video its not leased.
And to further expland on this post unlike many people, I have driven almost every BMW including on track over the past 5 years. So its goes behind just casually experiencing these cars, we also drive every other car currently made.

Looks are subjective, period. We say this about Porsche often, they could take a dump on a box and put a Porsche badge on it and people would buy it. Same could be said about many luxo brands.

But forums, namely owners groups are cancer these days because so many people dont know how to seperate themselves from the products they own. Say anything negative about their "car" and its a personal attack on them. Gets old and why I stopped contributing on sites after a while.
My comment wasn't directed exclusively at you. Apologies. There are just so many here that are in a 3 year relationship and VERY few of them will take the plunge and continue that relationship with a purchase at the end of their lease.

God forbid anyone actually owns a BMW.

In the end it makes no difference i guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 11:43 AM   #51
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Its that front end BMW has unleashed on the 7 series line up.

Just my own empirical data is yielding some disturbing reports:
My dealer cant give the 7 series away now after 3+ months. No joke.
3 highly discounted 760's 2 740's, and 1 i7 all sitting in a showroom. Thats the new line up and aimed at every demographic buyer and no takers for any of them.
A brand new design with all the release hype and you cant sell them with a discount?? Forget about desirability and prestige that this level "needs" to have for BMW. I think the "looks are subjective" are becoming not so subjective anymore.
This feels like the modern day luxury equivalent of the Pontiac Aztek release feedback. I am not sure what BMW's exit strategy is going to be here?

Oddly enough BMW doesn't have enough faith to gamble with risky unorthodox designs with their aspirational level vehicles in the 1, 2 and 3 series that they sell high volumes of??

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-02-2023 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13517.50
BMW5and71060.00
      03-02-2023, 11:52 AM   #52
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_Cooper View Post
I read your post.

And my response stands.

I will say it sounds a little pretentious to dismiss someone else’s comments & opinions so categorically bc they have a lower rep score than yours. This is a big reason why lots of posts devolve into name calling, banning, and a relative lack of respecting someone else’s opinion whether it’s about grills, headlights, interior/exterior design, etc. Our interaction is a great example of this, albeit not to such an extreme as I’ve witnessed on some other threads.

I’ve been on the forums long enough, with a different username, to notice there is an inherent lack of respect towards an opinion that isn’t flattering towards the brand. As much as you say people lost their shit and started posting so many negative comments about newer design elements that their banishment was justified, I’ll counter that as long as you aren’t disrespecting someone else personally you should be able to say whatever you want, especially when it’s about an automotive design.

Call me old fashioned but I’m a fan of free speech even when it’s negative to a brand I generally like.

Again, criticism is healthy.
Has nothing to do with criticism. He said the reviewer was biased because he owns a pre LCI. Meaning he has skin in the game and that someone with no skin in the game would be more unbiased. You agreed that he has skin in the game, so what's the problem?

The reviewer, who I like and respect, should aim towards reviewing the car for what it is, not what it used to be. It was corny to basically say, I own the previous model and here's what I don't like about the newer model. IDrive 8 can be controlled by the selector wheel just like IDrive 7 could. Why jab at the screen and act like that's the only way to control things? And how about mentioning that the automation is superior and you almost never need to go into the HVAC controls anyway? The temperature adjustments are made touching the screen instead of a "button". Who cares?

I'm new to BMW and when I was shopping the new X7 I came across similar gripes. Didn't mean much to me because I wouldn't be coming from an older model. I had to weed through the whining to get to what this LCI was really about. And by the way, I love the thing and have had zero issues using IDrive 8.
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2023, 12:03 PM   #53
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post

3 highly discounted 760's 2 740's, and 1 i7 all sitting in a showroom. Thats the new line up and aimed at every demographic buyer and no takers for any of them.
A brand new design with all the release hype and you cant sell them with a discount?? Forget about desirability and prestige that this level "needs" to have for BMW. I think the "looks are subjective" are becoming not so subjective anymore.

This feels like the modern day luxury equivalent of the Pontiac Aztek release feedback. I am not sure what BMW's exit strategy is going to be here?

Oddly enough BMW doesn't have enough faith to gamble with risky unorthodox designs with their aspirational level vehicles in the 1, 2 and 3 series that they sell high volumes of??
I don't think looks have NEARLY as much to do with it as people on these forums would have you believe. The X7 LCI is selling like hotcakes. Q4 2022 it was the highest selling luxury 3 row SUV, beating out the Escalade, so apparently the looks aren't that bad?

The 7 series has never been a big seller, and people in general are gravitating towards SUVs anyway. If looks really were the deterrent we wouldn't see such strong sales for the LCI X7 either.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  27.0 KB

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 3
      03-02-2023, 01:10 PM   #54
dizz81
Moving on
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral White F82 ZCP 6pd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Sounds like this has turned into a sharing thread

Attachment 3118590
Not gonna lie, I love this color combo and from this angle it looks great, especially the wheels.

2011 Blk M3 ESS VT2 625/ES Race *Sold*
2018 MW F82 ZCP 6spd *Sold*
2021 Audi S5 SB
Appreciate 1
wtwo317971.00
      03-02-2023, 01:52 PM   #55
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post

Just my own empirical data is yielding some disturbing reports:

More like anectodal than empirical evidence.

My dealer has one or two 7 series. Reality is most people want an X7 for various reasons. The main reason is SUVs are a better value and more practical.

7 series sales in the US in 2022 were 6k, a 22% drop from 2021. All their passenger cars were down 21%, so in line with the shift. X7 30.7k, up 33% which was double their 15% growth average for “light trucks (not cars)”. So the X7 is killing it. 2023 numbers should be about the same, maybe down slightly given economy, even with the polarizing LCI changes. But the 7 is not a litmus test for their styling decisions.

You’re not doing any real research, just another ponfication about something that is purely subjective.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2023, 02:06 PM   #56
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Go suburban! seriously after 5 years everything breaks on bmws
We owned a Tahoe previously and that thing was literally indestructible. My wife doesn’t want a truck platform though and would prefer unibody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I've had those concerns as well - we're looking at this as a relatively longer term vehicle (5-6 years). Speaking for the 40i, from a hardware perspective the internals are more or less the same as the pre-LCI (the mild-hybrid is new I suppose), so it's not really a 1st gen model per se. iDrive 8 is really the new part of it, but as that's all software related, the good thing is OTA updates eventually fix a lot of the bugs that are present initially. I know many LCI owners (myself included) experienced quite a few bugs in the first couple months of ownership, and it seems majority of them have been ironed out with the latest updates. I'm over 5k miles now and it's been trouble-free since those random bugs in the first few hundred miles.

Overall I enjoyed the video, my main issue was some of the nitpicky stuff in the beginning made it seem as if most of those features being labeled as "gimmicky" were exclusive to the LCI model, when in fact they're simply carryovers from the pre-LCI model. The only difference is some of the controls have been integrated into the iDrive8 screen. From that perspective yes, I did miss some of the physical controls for HVAC and some of the shortcuts in the first month of ownership - but now having owned the LCI model for nearly 6 months, I've gotten used to the new way of interacting with the car and it's every bit as intuitive (and in some cases more so as the automation is better, especially with HVAC, seat heaters/coolers, steering heater, etc)
SW bugs are a pain for sure but generally fixed quickly…I’m more worried about rear steering, complex hybrid system, airbag suspension system failure, some sort of drivetrain issue etc.

Quote:
In the same boat. At some point something will be bought but the tentative list really is a Mazda CX90 (been really impressed w/ Mazda since owning a 2019 mazda3 hatch), GX (not a 3 row but bulletproof), X7 or Landcruiser/LX.

Waiting on the reviews and a demo to drive for the CX90, but I’m really optimistic.
I’m looking at those as well but also considering the Caddy XT6 even though it’s a step down in luxury. That 3.6L powerplant with automatic (while not putting out the same power) will last forever.

It’s a hard decision as I love my M3 and would like to have another BMW stablemate for it but given we want the SUV long term it might not be the best choice for us…
      03-02-2023, 02:20 PM   #57
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
I’m looking at those as well but also considering the Caddy XT6 even though it’s a step down in luxury. That 3.6L powerplant with automatic (while not putting out the same power) will last forever.

It’s a hard decision as I love my M3 and would like to have another BMW stablemate for it but given we want the SUV long term it might not be the best choice for us…
What about the Kia/Hyundai options or even a VW Atlas?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 02:23 PM   #58
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

Quote:

We started (and likely would have ended) our search with the LX600. In Nov/Dec they all wanted $30k over MSRP. Called all over the country and very consistent answer. As much as we like the brand and wanted that- we couldn’t justify the price. Many of the ones we looked at were priced the almost as much as an Aplina. If it was selling at MSRP, we would have likely bought it (even though we couldn’t build our own).

Also considers a GX. Then realized that it was pretty dated. Did some research and found it is being redesigned late this year or next. Would have considered the grand highlander if it were out (or the Lexus TX which will be the Lexus version the grand highlander and is still a year or two away).

Research on what was available in the timeframe we’d need led us to the X7.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2023, 03:05 PM   #59
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
What about the Kia/Hyundai options or even a VW Atlas?
Will take a look at those too.
      03-02-2023, 03:12 PM   #60
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

I liked the pre LCI’s headlights and that’s about it. I love everything about the LCI except the splited headlights!! I still don’t understand why they had to change it.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71060.00
      03-02-2023, 04:13 PM   #61
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

Quote:
Will take a look at those too.
Kia’s and Hyundai’s have had some security and theft issues of late. If you look make sure you’re comfortable with how they’ve resolved these issues.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...-vehicle-theft

Also make sure your insurance company will insure it. Many dropped coverage and stopped accepting them because of the issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...e/11153762002/
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41621.50
      03-02-2023, 04:34 PM   #62
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagox7 View Post
Kia’s and Hyundai’s have had some security and theft issues of late. If you look make sure you’re comfortable with how they’ve resolved these issues.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...-vehicle-theft

Also make sure your insurance company will insure it. Many dropped coverage and stopped accepting them because of the issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...e/11153762002/
Good info but doesn’t apppy to new models or to the Palisade or Telluride from what I’ve read. Here are the models/years blacklisted by State Farm. Crazy stuff.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
chicagox7190.00
      03-02-2023, 09:15 PM   #63
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
I think I like the pre LCI better, but the LCI looks good too. I do own a pre LCI, so take it with a grain of salt.

Honestly, when I see them on the road, I don’t even immediately register if it’s pre LCI or LCI. The new look touches are good, really good. Just not as classic. So that’s just subjective taste.

I do much prefer the pre LCI interior. My wife agrees. Which is good, because she’s the one driving it. Haha

But none of this surprises me. I drive a pre LCI 2018 540. I am upgrading to a M550 (used). Either the 2021 LCI or the 2020 pre LCI were available within my price range. It’s the same comparison, generally. 2017-2020 are a little more classic. 2021-2023 are more aggressive and modern. I chose to go with the 2020 version. It got the LCI engine bump but still has the more classic look. It’s just what fits your eye.

I agree with those saying it’s not worth the switch, if you’re not turning in a lease or just need to trade in because you’ve racked up 100k miles already. I do love our X7. A lot. I’d love it if it were an LCI. I hope to roll with these for a few years and then get my wife the next gen X7, take her 2021 as my daily driver, and turn the M550 into a weekend/summer car. Last of the 5 series V8’s outside of the M5. Hopefully I can retire it from daily driving before it gets north of 60k miles (purchasing it with 25k).

For pure comfort and enjoyment of travel, the X7 in either form is the way to go. Better than a 7 series, for me. And definitely prefer it to any other 3 row/full size SUV out there.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 09:40 PM   #64
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Test drove the Q7 and MB 350 and 450 GLE tonight.

Q7 had the most room but the UI touchscreens/interface seemed a bit dated. Driving dynamics were pretty decent but the motor wasn’t terribly strong.

The MB was nice…quiet and tank like but the 4 banger was weak and the handling was very floaty and truck like. The six cylinder was better but the MB overall didn’t have the driving dynamics of the X5. The interior of the MB was very nicely done but again the touchscreens are annoying to use.

I’m seriously thinking about just picking up one of the last new ‘23 X5s and foregoing the 3rd row. Will have the best UI and mix of touchscreen/buttons, it handles great and good overall performance.

Will make a decision soon…
      03-02-2023, 09:50 PM   #65
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:

Q7 had the most room but the UI touchscreens/interface seemed a bit dated. Driving dynamics were pretty decent but the motor wasn’t terribly strong.

The MB was nice…quiet and tank like but the 4 banger was weak and the handling was very floaty and truck like. The six cylinder was better but the MB overall didn’t have the driving dynamics of the X5. The interior of the MB was very nicely done but again the touchscreens are annoying to use.

I’m seriously thinking about just picking up one of the last new ‘23 X5s and foregoing the 3rd row. Will have the best UI and mix of touchscreen/buttons, it handles great and good overall performance.

We’ve had a few problems with our Q7s, 2021 model year, most covered under recent recalls (except for the visor falling out of the roof liner three times and coolant leaking <15k miles / 1 year) and also relative’s SQ7 required an engine replacement at 3k miles (recall) and then the heater didn’t work. That plus software updates requiring a day of service to fix basic things like the rear camera. Audi service is awful relative to BMW especially at smaller dealers. Our 2015 GL450 was perfect for 5 years/50k miles except for head unit being replaced under warranty (13k if not under warranty, it’s the whole center computer in dash). The new screen and software keep us from even exploring the new GLS. BMW has included services, but Mercedes costs about 2000 over a few years, and Audi is about 1500.
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41621.50
      03-02-2023, 10:44 PM   #66
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:

I like that idea.

We tested the Benz GLE too. I had the same takeaway. Nice, heavy, well done interior. But bland to drive and didn’t really do anything to win either of us over. Audi interior just doesn’t appeal to me and the exterior design is a little too subtle for me.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41621.50