BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board What's that? You wanna chit chat? Welcome to the whore thread!

Closed Thread

02-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #51899
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Should we prepare the ban section for her?
Depends if the pilots who are stoned in the temple should be handled first?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #51900
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Depends if the pilots who are stoned in the temple should be handled first?
Touché, sir

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #51901
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I can't believe you've done this

AGAIN!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #51902
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The insomniac who had milk before bed walked outside to pee at about 4:15 this morning. Bright clear moon, chilly air, and a CLEAR CON TRAIL emanating from the jet passing overhead.

They thought they could pull a fast one, did they???
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #51903
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Cops banging on my door at 2am. Apparently someone shooting a gun behind my house, wasnt me as far as they know.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #51904
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Freakin' bipolar weather we had today. Snow all morning followed by rain turning that to slush.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:06 PM   #51905
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

I was at the office on Wednesday night until 11pm because it is T4/T5 season, yesterday I took the night off to go to a bible study hosted by a few people from my church (good group of people and enjoy going), but tonight I'm back in the office and will be till 11pm. And Saturday I'll be in again at 9am.

It is times like these where I question whether perhaps my wife indeed had a good idea of putting in a little minibar with some Scotch in my office.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #51906
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I was at the office on Wednesday night until 11pm because it is T4/T5 season, yesterday I took the night off to go to a bible study hosted by a few people from my church (good group of people and enjoy going), but tonight I'm back in the office and will be till 11pm. And Saturday I'll be in again at 9am.

It is times like these where I question whether perhaps my wife indeed had a good idea of putting in a little minibar with some Scotch in my office.
Serious question, what do you discuss in bible study? I assume you're a bunch of adults and the bible hasn't changed so don't you know it well by now?
Appreciate 4
Joekerr7926.00
Soul_Glo13293.00
Dang3r12503.00
      02-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #51907
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Serious question, what do you discuss in bible study? I assume you're a bunch of adults and the bible hasn't changed so don't you know it well by now?
Very good question... I know people who do this their whole lives and have wondered that same thing...
Appreciate 1
bimmette6452.50
      02-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #51908
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
Very good question... I know people who do this their whole lives and have wondered that same thing...
Great question, and I actually quite enjoy talking about my faith, to the chagrin of some. But you did open the door....

I should preface the above with: I enjoy talking about it on here. I'm a little more flustered in person, though I try whenever someone seems genuinely interested.

So in this case (and I don't know if either of you have read the Bible, so I'm just going to assume not for now, just to pick a starting position), yes, I have probably read through the Bible at least once by now, and I do remember a bunch of it, but mostly the 30,000 ft view of it. But if you take the view that the Bible is the word of God, and therefore perfect, and "useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness", then every word / detail is important.

And so in Bible study, we study a very narrow portion - no more than a chapter, and often not even that, to try to understand the depth behind it. That can be coloured by any knowledge of society back then and how it would have impacted these verses, what the writer was conveying. And to see how that aligns with other portions of the Bible. We try not to read our own impressions / desires / views into the Bible (eisegesis), but rather understand what the Bible is saying (exegesis) which is usually through cross referencing to other portions of the Bible to expand on it. And often times this conflicts with what we'd "like" it to say. Truth hurts sometimes.

This will be a flawed example of course, because I believe the Bible is perfect and I don't believe there is anything else written that is like it...but this is the example that came to mind.

Take your favourite book (if you have one). When you first read it, you probably enjoyed it. Certain parts spoke to you, etc. If asked about it after the first time, you probably could recount certain parts of the book, give a reasonable summary of the book, but it would be at a summary level.

If you have ever gone back to re-read the same book - did you notice things you didn't notice the first time through and thought "Wow, that's neat". And appreciated the book even more? And perhaps third time through...noticed more.

Same thing with the Bible. We keep going back, because we keep finding things that we didn't see the last time. And the nice thing about small groups is that you have say 5-10 people in the room, all going through the same passage. So you have at any given time, 5-10 people seeing the same verse just a little differently and talking about what they were thinking about, how it could link to other passages, etc...which really opens up your own perspective on the passage. Especially when you read it and it looks pretty plain to you first time through.

To go back to my imperfect example - I guess you could use the example of a book study you probably had to do in school. If you were paying attention, I bet you heard others point out things in the exact same book that you never ever noticed, but were actually interesting and helped you understand the book better.

Same for small groups / bible study...it just helps us understand and deepen our love for our saviour, Jesus Christ, and our knowledge of God and hopefully equip us a little better to explain our faith to others. Sort of like what I'm trying to do here, instead of doing my T4's / T5's like I should be doing (but I honestly view this as more important - it is about eternal salvation).

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:24 PM   #51909
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
Great question, and I actually quite enjoy talking about my faith, to the chagrin of some. But you did open the door....

I should preface the above with: I enjoy talking about it on here. I'm a little more flustered in person, though I try whenever someone seems genuinely interested.

So in this case (and I don't know if either of you have read the Bible, so I'm just going to assume not for now, just to pick a starting position), yes, I have probably read through the Bible at least once by now, and I do remember a bunch of it, but mostly the 30,000 ft view of it. But if you take the view that the Bible is the word of God, and therefore perfect, and "useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness", then every word / detail is important.

And so in Bible study, we study a very narrow portion - no more than a chapter, and often not even that, to try to understand the depth behind it. That can be coloured by any knowledge of society back then and how it would have impacted these verses, what the writer was conveying. And to see how that aligns with other portions of the Bible. We try not to read our own impressions / desires / views into the Bible (eisegesis), but rather understand what the Bible is saying (exegesis) which is usually through cross referencing to other portions of the Bible to expand on it. And often times this conflicts with what we'd "like" it to say. Truth hurts sometimes.

This will be a flawed example of course, because I believe the Bible is perfect and I don't believe there is anything else written that is like it...but this is the example that came to mind.

Take your favourite book (if you have one). When you first read it, you probably enjoyed it. Certain parts spoke to you, etc. If asked about it after the first time, you probably could recount certain parts of the book, give a reasonable summary of the book, but it would be at a summary level.

If you have ever gone back to re-read the same book - did you notice things you didn't notice the first time through and thought "Wow, that's neat". And appreciated the book even more? And perhaps third time through...noticed more.

Same thing with the Bible. We keep going back, because we keep finding things that we didn't see the last time. And the nice thing about small groups is that you have say 5-10 people in the room, all going through the same passage. So you have at any given time, 5-10 people seeing the same verse just a little differently and talking about what they were thinking about, how it could link to other passages, etc...which really opens up your own perspective on the passage. Especially when you read it and it looks pretty plain to you first time through.

To go back to my imperfect example - I guess you could use the example of a book study you probably had to do in school. If you were paying attention, I bet you heard others point out things in the exact same book that you never ever noticed, but were actually interesting and helped you understand the book better.

Same for small groups / bible study...it just helps us understand and deepen our love for our saviour, Jesus Christ, and our knowledge of God and hopefully equip us a little better to explain our faith to others. Sort of like what I'm trying to do here, instead of doing my T4's / T5's like I should be doing (but I honestly view this as more important - it is about eternal salvation).

Hope that helps!
I appreciate your thoughtful answer. I did read part of the bible when I was 9 and my parents traveled for the summer and I stayed with a religious neighbour who took me to church with their kids. It was not for me. As an atheist, I could debate with you for hours but you should be working and I have work I should be doing too. We can close that door
Appreciate 3
Dang3r12503.00
King Rudi13152.00
Joekerr7926.00
      02-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #51910
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Well said.
Also an atheist here but I let other people go their personal way of believing into whatever - as long as they dont annoy me with spiritual things from above and beyond.

Short story from the first gulfwar:
I was sitting outside the meeting tent after briefing for the next bomb run towards somewhere over Iraq and was smoking a cigarette.
The field priest was heading towards to me and asked for my reasons not to join the open mess for aircrews before duty as the rest. I noted internal a pluspoint for him, not saying "my son" to me.
At this point for you as information: The US troops had a mess before every mission and we and other involved countries were invited to join.
As I started to turn to him, a medic helo was suddenly in progress to land and the noise made any communication impossible. The medics were carrying over a very heavy wounded comrade, something has cost him more than the half of his face.
In silence we were watching until they reached the medic tent and left behind. The priest was fully shocked about the view and me also were touched of the situation, but I asked him though: Did you see this man? With the skills of the surgeons, more luck and his will to survive he would spend the next months and years into recovery. A drooling and helpless creature into darkness, made once equal to the face of your lord. His childs would be scared of their dad, his wife had to bring all her love to stay with him, his life would never be the same...and then someone like you came up to his bed and would tell him god is loving him also.
Now, thats the answer why I would never join your or anybody elses mess.

End of the story.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #51911
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I recently watched a documentary concerning the potential effects that psychoactive substances such as DMT may have had in the evolution of religion. Very interesting and well made points i.e. Moses speaking to God through a burning bush. The burning bush is thought to be an Acacia tree. The Acacia is native to this area. Acacia trees are known to have hollow areas that will allow for airflow. In the event that an Acacia is say, on a mountain side such as an active volcano, heat would allowed to be passed through the open areas. Once the tree/bush reaches flash point, it will burn although still remain structurally intact. Acacia trees are also known to be a source of DMT extraction. DMT (Dimethyltryptamine) is the most psychoactive substance on the planet and users are said to experience godly encounters. A person standing close enough to a burning Acacia tree would certainly feel the affects of such a thing.

The Egyptians are also thought to have had psychoactive experiences as they were very familiar with the Acacia tree as well. It is possible and has been studied that the Egyptians discovered much of their "technology" from communication with entities, such as mechanical elves, encountered during spiritual journeys while experimenting with such substances.

Interesting stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #51912
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate your thoughtful answer. I did read part of the bible when I was 9 and my parents traveled for the summer and I stayed with a religious neighbour who took me to church with their kids. It was not for me. As an atheist, I could debate with you for hours but you should be working and I have work I should be doing too. We can close that door
I'd be open to debate. Let's say...after February 28th? I am always willing to listen to other's viewpoints...helps me either refine my own, or expand my knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #51913
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I recently watched a documentary concerning the potential effects that psychoactive substances such as DMT may have had in the evolution of religion. Very interesting and well made points i.e. Moses speaking to God through a burning bush. The burning bush is thought to be an Acacia tree. The Acacia is native to this area. Acacia trees are known to have hollow areas that will allow for airflow. In the event that an Acacia is say, on a mountain side such as an active volcano, heat would allowed to be passed through the open areas. Once the tree/bush reaches flash point, it will burn although still remain structurally intact. Acacia trees are also known to be a source of DMT extraction. DMT (Dimethyltryptamine) is the most psychoactive substance on the planet and users are said to experience godly encounters. A person standing close enough to a burning Acacia tree would certainly feel the affects of such a thing.

The Egyptians are also thought to have had psychoactive experiences as they were very familiar with the Acacia tree as well. It is possible and has been studied that the Egyptians discovered much of their "technology" from communication with entities, such as mechanical elves, encountered during spiritual journeys while experimenting with such substances.

Interesting stuff.
I don't know. Seems like there are a lot of "if's" there.

(If it is an Acacia tree - just because native, doesn't mean it was)
(If it was on an active volcano - which isn't mentioned in the Bible)
(If the active volcano was close enough to the surface to heat the ground)
(If that heat was hot enough to reach a flash point)
(If it could burn and produce this DMT)

Lotta if's there. Plus, just a quick google search leads me to wonder if it wouldn't in fact be burnt off at the temperature needed to have a tree on fire - see below, but it suggests that you can't have the heat any higher than 120-130 Farenhuit. Which would certainly be lower than the flashpoint of a tree.

https://catbull.com/alamut/Bibliothe...action_tek.pdf

And what pray tell is a mechanical elf? I have never heard this before.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #51914
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I don't know. Seems like there are a lot of "if's" there.

(If it is an Acacia tree - just because native, doesn't mean it was)
(If it was on an active volcano - which isn't mentioned in the Bible)
(If the active volcano was close enough to the surface to heat the ground)
(If that heat was hot enough to reach a flash point)
(If it could burn and produce this DMT)

Lotta if's there. Plus, just a quick google search leads me to wonder if it wouldn't in fact be burnt off at the temperature needed to have a tree on fire - see below, but it suggests that you can't have the heat any higher than 120-130 Farenhuit. Which would certainly be lower than the flashpoint of a tree.

https://catbull.com/alamut/Bibliothe...action_tek.pdf

And what pray tell is a mechanical elf? I have never heard this before.
Now I don't claim any of this to be fact. Just an interesting documentary that I came across. Yes, I agree lots of "ifs" but I wasn't there and can make no claims to facts on any of it; the stuff I spoke about or the history of religion itself.

Google up mechanical elves. Pretty weird stuff. Could be something based off limited perception that we as humans have and could also be something encompassed from psychoactive drug use. I will say that it is pretty strange that so many users claim to have the same experiences which is not common with psychoactives. Typically when people take psychoactives they each experience something different based on their own perception. In my opinion for someone to take drugs and claim they experience weird things is kinda synonymous. I mean, yeah of course you experienced some weird stuff.....you just ingested drugs.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:41 PM   #51915
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Shit got real up in here!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:56 AM   #51916
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Argh I took a 3-hour nap after work and now it's 2am and I'm wide awake.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 05:53 AM   #51917
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Eyes wide shut?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #51918
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Argh I took a 3-hour nap after work and now it's 2am and I'm wide awake.
Quote:
Eyes wide shut?
Without the nudity, you filthy animal.

Actually, haven't seen that movie...just heard.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #51919
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Eyes wide shut?
Nicole Kidman makes me cringe. I never watched that.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #51920
N55Jamaican
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 LCI

Quote:
I'd be open to debate. Let's say...after February 28th? I am always willing to listen to other's viewpoints...helps me either refine my own, or expand my knowledge.
As a religious person myself I would like to pick your brain on a few things. But will wait until after the 28th.