F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Jerk hit my parked car in the parking lot!
GetBMWParts

05-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #1
hoilui
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328XI

Jerk hit my parked car in the parking lot!

I'm so pissed, I was parked in the back too. Came out and noticed it right away. No cameras in the grocery store lot either. Of course there wasn't a note. What is the cost to replace the rear bumper and paint?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
asuh1991
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, M4, RRS Autobiography

Is it so badly damaged you have to replace the whole thing? Can't imagine the car hit you going too fast
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Buzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MT 244'80 V70R'07 Golf R'19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoilui View Post
I'm so pissed, I was parked in the back too. Came out and noticed it right away. No cameras in the grocery store lot either. Of course there wasn't a note. What is the cost to replace the rear bumper and paint?
I was recently quoted $1,278 by a BMW Collision Center to replace the rear bumper of a 2016 340ix M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Ask your insurance company about getting an estimate - they should either send someone to your home or work or ask you to take it to one of their facilities to evaluate the damage. Should be covered under comprehensive.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #5
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
I went through the same thing. I was quoted $400 for paint and install, and I bought a replica bumper from europeanpartsautostore on ebay. It was an Msport bumper and fits/looks like OEM. Cost of the bumper was $350 shipped. The body shop raved about how high quality of a bumper it was for being aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

I feel your pain. Recently got hit while parked in my gym parking lot. No note. Hit my left rear door, rear quarter panel, rim, and rear bumper.

Gym manager was less than helpful to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

I have never personally experienced or heard of an incident where it would be cheaper to pay out of pocket versus using insurance, unless it's going to somehow increase your premiums (but this is only from at-fault accidents, from my understanding, which, it was a hit-a-run so you wouldn't be at fault). I'm guessing your deductible is $500 or $1,000, and it will be cheaper to pay that and have it fixed correctly, than the 1K+ replacement cost. Unless it was very minor paint damage and would buff out or require a sanding down and only repainting.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #8
Sayzar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GC 2020 X4M Comp

Quote:
Same thing happen to me but on my last BMW I got hit left side rear door- mind you I parked far away from all the other cars -what I did was report to the police as a hit and run - then put a claim in with my insurance company but mine damage was worth summiting in a claim, most insurance company won't raise your premium. I feel your pain dude gook luck
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #9
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
I have never personally experienced or heard of an incident where it would be cheaper to pay out of pocket versus using insurance, unless it's going to somehow increase your premiums (but this is only from at-fault accidents, from my understanding, which, it was a hit-a-run so you wouldn't be at fault). I'm guessing your deductible is $500 or $1,000, and it will be cheaper to pay that and have it fixed correctly, than the 1K+ replacement cost. Unless it was very minor paint damage and would buff out or require a sanding down and only repainting.
You get dinged on rates regardless of fault.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #10
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

apparently there's a epidemic of these idiots, same thing happened to me a few months ago, fixing and painting my original bumper was $500, I was hit on the left corner and I also had to buy the corner piece tail light. It sucks hope you get it sorted out
      05-31-2016, 06:19 PM   #11
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428iX Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
I don't believe this is accurate... maybe in the case of a hit-and-run, but if the other side accepts liability then your premium should not increase as this does not count as an incident against your driving history.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
I don't believe this is accurate... maybe in the case of a hit-and-run, but if the other side accepts liability then your premium should not increase as this does not count as an incident against your driving history.
It depends on state and your insurer though.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 12:42 AM   #13
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Insurance points and ratings are totally different from DL points.

Just as speeding points stay on your license for 3 years, they stay on your Insurance points/rating for 5 years. Furthermore, you are assigned points if in a wreck that isn't your fault and/or if you file a claim regardless of fault.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #14
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Insurance points and ratings are totally different from DL points.

Just as speeding points stay on your license for 3 years, they stay on your Insurance points/rating for 5 years. Furthermore, you are assigned points if in a wreck that isn't your fault and/or if you file a claim regardless of fault.
I wasn't speaking of DL points... I'm talking about negative factors that underwriters use in determining your insurance-worthiness. And it's three years that each event stays on your record for, not five... although some questionnaires query up to 5-10 years back when issuing brand new policies.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #15
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
And that's why I have dashcams hardwired on the rear and front of both my cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 03:16 AM   #16
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't speaking of DL points... I'm talking about negative factors that underwriters use in determining your insurance-worthiness. And it's three years that each event stays on your record for, not five... although some questionnaires query up to 5-10 years back when issuing brand new policies.
Incorrect. Call your Insurer if you do not believe me.

Furthermore, ALL Insurance Companies are interconnected through a Nexus-Lexis data Service and can see your entire Insurance History, including coverage (and lapses) and claims....not just the past 3 years even if you change Companies.

Models show that if you are in an accident whether your fault or not, or file a claim, you are more likely to be in other accidents that will cause a claim. As the OP was not at fault here, yet the other party is not paying, it's easy to see why the model works.

Last edited by Kabrich; 06-02-2016 at 03:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 03:25 AM   #17
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTees View Post
And that's why I have dashcams hardwired on the rear and front of both my cars.
And what good would that do in this case?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #18
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Incorrect. Call your Insurer if you do not believe me.

Furthermore, ALL Insurance Companies are interconnected through a Nexus-Lexis data Service and can see your entire Insurance History, including coverage (and lapses) and claims....not just the past 3 years even if you change Companies.

Models show that if you are in an accident whether your fault or not, or file a claim, you are more likely to be in other accidents that will cause a claim. As the OP was not at fault here, yet the other party is not paying, it's easy to see why the model works.
I love how people love to get on the internet and enter into dick-measuring contests with complete strangers, not knowing what the other person actually knows or does. From my personal dealings with my insurer of the past 7 years (Progressive), I know that incidents only stayed on my record for three years. This was also true of my previous insurer of 4 years (All State).

Second... any underwriting model which "shows" that if a person is in an accident or file claim, regardless of fault, then that person is likely to be in other accidents or file claims, is a broken or faulty model, since necessarily, it discounts the actual driving behavior of the insured... which any reliable model would be premised on.

Third... it's Lexis-Nexis, not "Nexus-Lexis," and what they can "see" and what the law permits them to use in the underwriting process are two completely separate things. Based on professional experience as an attorney.

EDIT:

I just realized that you're the same genius who was arguing with me elsewhere that a judge could arbitrarily raise the fine/penalty at a traffic hearing just because the defendant chooses to fight the ticket. Won't be wasting further time engaging you in a back and forth, it's clear that you post solely for the sake of posting.

Last edited by AMDG; 06-02-2016 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #19
hoilui
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328XI

I have an appointment next week to get a quote from a reputable shop. Ballpark quote over the phone was $500-1000 without seeing the damage in person. My deductible is $500 so even though I'm not at fault, if it's closer to $500, should I not go through insurance?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #20
klaysta
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
I have an appointment next week to get a quote from a reputable shop. Ballpark quote over the phone was $500-1000 without seeing the damage in person. My deductible is $500 so even though I'm not at fault, if it's closer to $500, should I not go through insurance?
Check your policy, but since this is a hit-and-run it falls under uninsured motorist coverage on your policy that should have a lower deductible. In VA its the same for everybody @ $200. Going through insurance will get you a rental (if you have coverage) and other perks including a brand new bumper cover if you push for it. These claims won't raise your rates, but if switching to a new company in the future that company can charge more if they see a lot of claims, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #21
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaysta View Post
Check your policy, but since this is a hit-and-run it falls under uninsured motorist coverage on your policy that should have a lower deductible. In VA its the same for everybody @ $200. Going through insurance will get you a rental (if you have coverage) and other perks including a brand new bumper cover if you push for it. These claims won't raise your rates, but if switching to a new company in the future that company can charge more if they see a lot of claims, etc.
Agree with everything stated here... your premium with your current carrier shouldn't be affected. The deductible for UM/UIM is usually lower than the usual comprehensive/collision deductibles. If you have rental reimbursement then the inconvenience will be mitigated while your car's in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:35 AM   #22
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I love how people love to get on the internet and enter into dick-measuring contests with complete strangers, not knowing what the other person actually knows or does. From my personal dealings with my insurer of the past 7 years (Progressive), I know that incidents only stayed on my record for three years. This was also true of my previous insurer of 4 years (All State).

Second... any underwriting model which "shows" that if a person is in an accident or file claim, regardless of fault, then that person is likely to be in other accidents or file claims, is a broken or faulty model, since necessarily, it discounts the actual driving behavior of the insured... which any reliable model would be premised on.

Third... it's Lexis-Nexis, not "Nexus-Lexis," and what they can "see" and what the law permits them to use in the underwriting process are two completely separate things. Based on professional experience as an attorney.

EDIT:

I just realized that you're the same genius who was arguing with me elsewhere that a judge could arbitrarily raise the fine/penalty at a traffic hearing just because the defendant chooses to fight the ticket. Won't be wasting further time engaging you in a back and forth, it's clear that you post solely for the sake of posting.
Right back at you. You are clueless and just assume things instead of researching and knowing for fact
Appreciate 0