BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 X7 with Anemic Air Conditioning

View Poll Results: Any new 2023 X7 owners experiencing anemic AC?
Yes 16 32.00%
No 28 56.00%
Yes with comments 6 12.00%
No with comments 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

12-10-2023, 12:23 PM   #199
stavstavcc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

I wonder if Alpinas XB7 have the same problem as well. Does Alpina improve the A/C in any way?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 02:09 PM   #200
stavstavcc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
No issues on my MY23 X3. They’ll probably save the bad A/C for the upcoming new gen MY25 X3!
Well, I wouldn't say NE is famous for extreme heat
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 02:26 PM   #201
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stavstavcc View Post
Well, I wouldn't say NE is famous for extreme heat
We can get 100F 3 days out of the year (I live in a true 4-season state).

Besides, we are concerned about heating as well as cooling, yeah?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 02:30 PM   #202
nighthawk4900
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 x40I LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
We can get 100F 3 days out of the year (I live in a true 4-season state).

Besides, we are concerned about heating as well as cooling, yeah?

After adjusting the settings to max cool via the personal preferences slider, the AC has been a lot better. Not stronger, per-say, but more effective

Heat has never been a problem between the heated wheel, seats, arm rests and general heat from the air system.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 09:00 AM   #203
Jhalf
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
You'll all be happy to know I took part in a marketing research event this weekend about luxury 3 row SUVs, and my number one complaint about the new X7 was the terrible AC. (number 2 was removal of comfort access from rear doors, and number 3 were the new headlights).
What do you mean removal of comfort access from rear doors?

Its just a setting in idrive, use it every day.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 09:03 AM   #204
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhalf View Post
What do you mean removal of comfort access from rear doors?

Its just a setting in idrive, use it every day.
The LCI modes do not have the sensors in the rear door exterior handles for locking/unlocking the doors. Only the front doors have them.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 11:05 AM   #205
Jhalf
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
The LCI modes do not have the sensors in the rear door exterior handles for locking/unlocking the doors. Only the front doors have them.
Ah, I guess i just use the proximity sensors.

Is there a benefit to the physical buttons that proximity sensing doesnt provide?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 03:15 PM   #206
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhalf View Post
Ah, I guess i just use the proximity sensors.

Is there a benefit to the physical buttons that proximity sensing doesnt provide?
Yes, the doors don't unlock and relock every time you go to the beer fridge in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 08:35 AM   #207
john_wick
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 G07

Didn't' read through this whole thread just throwing this out there. I was speaking to a shop that does a lot of a/c on cars and asked if they have seen this issue with BMW's with the poor a/c. While they said they hadn't specifically with BMW but had seen it on other brands. They suggested checking for refrigerant leaks.

The 1234YF refrigerant used now is a higher pressure system than the older 134a that was previously used. Higher pressure can lead to premature leaking thus weak a/c. I don't know if BMW is checking for leaks or if they diagnose the issue at all. I've been told the dealer in my town just dismisses customers saying its in spec.

But is seems that some have the issue and others do not. Perhaps it comes down to the refrigerant level.

On a side note I recently had to borrow a 2000 Nissan Altima for about a month while my truck was in repair. I was literally blown away how good the a/c was in that car. Ice cold and blew hard We've definitely moved a step backward I think in newer cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:45 AM   #208
chitownx7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2011 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_wick View Post
Didn't' read through this whole thread just throwing this out there. I was speaking to a shop that does a lot of a/c on cars and asked if they have seen this issue with BMW's with the poor a/c. While they said they hadn't specifically with BMW but had seen it on other brands. They suggested checking for refrigerant leaks.

The 1234YF refrigerant used now is a higher pressure system than the older 134a that was previously used. Higher pressure can lead to premature leaking thus weak a/c. I don't know if BMW is checking for leaks or if they diagnose the issue at all. I've been told the dealer in my town just dismisses customers saying its in spec.

But is seems that some have the issue and others do not. Perhaps it comes down to the refrigerant level.

On a side note I recently had to borrow a 2000 Nissan Altima for about a month while my truck was in repair. I was literally blown away how good the a/c was in that car. Ice cold and blew hard We've definitely moved a step backward I think in newer cars.
I just recently brought my x7 in for maintenance and complained about the weak A/C and this is exactly what they did - the level of whatever the new freeon is called was lower than the spec so they topped it off. Haven't really had an opportunity to test it yet but hoping it solves the temperature issue along with the slider setting. Guessing the bad vent design isn't ever going to have a solution for the poor airflow until I trade in for something better
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 03:52 PM   #209
DjPiLL
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW x7

I have a 2023 X7 and the air conditioning is horrendous. I can go on about how bad the controls are in the idrive. But my biggest gripe is there is no air whatsoever blowing from the front vents. There is no airflow. If I turn the air on row 2 or 3 I can get massive amounts of airflow. Nothing for the front row.

Changing the "temp body adjustment" and sliding it over to cold when I need it helps regulate the cabin temp a little, but it doesn't solve the issue that I sweat in the car for the first 20 minutes driving because I have no cold air hitting my body whatsoever. It feels like the air isn't working at all.

Took it to the dealer last summer. They actually decided to change the blower motor which did nothing. Now with the summer approaching I am having the same issue. Has anybody made any complaints to BMW corporate? I have about 16 payments left on my lease and I would love to get out of this lease. Even if it meant going to another BMW model like an X5 (does the X5 have a better AC blower motor?). This is a car I would have bought out after my lease, but i can't because of this AC issue and it really sucks to spend 48% in depreciation costs over the course of a lease to have anemic air conditioning. Anybody have contacts in corporate? PM me if that's easier. I can't take another summer like this and my lease ends in October of 2025 so that's two more summers. TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 04:19 PM   #210
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
I have a 2023 X7 and the air conditioning is horrendous. I can go on about how bad the controls are in the idrive. But my biggest gripe is there is no air whatsoever blowing from the front vents. There is no airflow. If I turn the air on row 2 or 3 I can get massive amounts of airflow. Nothing for the front row.

Changing the "temp body adjustment" and sliding it over to cold when I need it helps regulate the cabin temp a little, but it doesn't solve the issue that I sweat in the car for the first 20 minutes driving because I have no cold air hitting my body whatsoever. It feels like the air isn't working at all.

Took it to the dealer last summer. They actually decided to change the blower motor which did nothing. Now with the summer approaching I am having the same issue. Has anybody made any complaints to BMW corporate? I have about 16 payments left on my lease and I would love to get out of this lease. Even if it meant going to another BMW model like an X5 (does the X5 have a better AC blower motor?). This is a car I would have bought out after my lease, but i can't because of this AC issue and it really sucks to spend 48% in depreciation costs over the course of a lease to have anemic air conditioning. Anybody have contacts in corporate? PM me if that's easier. I can't take another summer like this and my lease ends in October of 2025 so that's two more summers. TIA
You will have the same issue with X5. In addition to weak motor, the center front vents are too tiny unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 08:01 PM   #211
DjPiLL
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
You will have the same issue with X5. In addition to weak motor, the center front vents are too tiny unfortunately.

That's annoying. So I take it the X6 is also out as it probably has the same interior? The X3/X4 line is probably going to be too small I would think coming from a 7. Maybe back to a sedan, 5 series?

Why can't BMW design something that has working AC.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 03:38 PM   #212
Kat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7

Drive it in sport mode. Sport mode disables the auto stop feature which impacts the AC temperature and strength. Overall the AC is still lacking considering the size of the car but sport mode helps considerably, especially in stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 04:32 PM   #213
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Max temp I’ve driven my 21 40i in is 84°F. It blew plenty cold. I also set the vent temperature preference all the way cold. I keep it between 71-74° currently and it’s enough to make me cold.

Vented seats don’t do much to cool you off but they do prevent you from getting extra hot.

Windows without tint let a lot of heat in. I’ll be tinting the front windows with Stratos in early May.

Vent fan speed I keep at lowest setting and am generally comfortable. Don’t think I’ve heard it go about 2-3 steps out of 5 available.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 06:37 PM   #214
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
That's annoying. So I take it the X6 is also out as it probably has the same interior? The X3/X4 line is probably going to be too small I would think coming from a 7. Maybe back to a sedan, 5 series?

Why can't BMW design something that has working AC.
I wonder if it's user error or maybe I just got lucky with every BMW I've ever owned blowing out very cold AC.

Last summer we did a 5k mile road trip through some of the hottest places in the US (Southern CA, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas) where exterior temps reached over 120 degrees and most of the time were in the 110-120 range. We had no issues with the AC. It was so cold, my wife and kids had to bring extra blanket to use in the car, and also ask me to turn the temps up.

We used to live in Texas and had various 3 and 5 series, and all of them blew out extremely cold AC.

I find a lot of folks don't know that there's two temp adjustments in BMW's. The temp gauge/dial plus an area where you choose if the system blows out cold vs warm vs hot air. Everyone that I know that had complained about AC issue, when I met up with them, they all had that 2nd setting set at hot, while trying to get cold air out of the system. Once I showed them how to change that (used to be a simple dial between the vents, now it's hidden in idrive menu), they never complained about AC not blowing out cold air again.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2024, 07:25 AM   #215
tewai
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 LCI Frozen Pure Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
I wonder if it's user error or maybe I just got lucky with every BMW I've ever owned blowing out very cold AC.

Last summer we did a 5k mile road trip through some of the hottest places in the US (Southern CA, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas) where exterior temps reached over 120 degrees and most of the time were in the 110-120 range. We had no issues with the AC. It was so cold, my wife and kids had to bring extra blanket to use in the car, and also ask me to turn the temps up.

We used to live in Texas and had various 3 and 5 series, and all of them blew out extremely cold AC.

I find a lot of folks don't know that there's two temp adjustments in BMW's. The temp gauge/dial plus an area where you choose if the system blows out cold vs warm vs hot air. Everyone that I know that had complained about AC issue, when I met up with them, they all had that 2nd setting set at hot, while trying to get cold air out of the system. Once I showed them how to change that (used to be a simple dial between the vents, now it's hidden in idrive menu), they never complained about AC not blowing out cold air again.
Do you have it all the way to left?
I felt like having it too mutch to the left caused rear seats were getting less cold.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:17 AM   #216
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

I just picked up a Ford Raptor two weeks ago, and the AC blows me away. The difference from the BMW is mind boggling. My BMW's get plenty cold after adjusting the settings, they just put nowhere near the volume of air out that this truck does...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:00 AM   #217
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewai View Post
Do you have it all the way to left?
I felt like having it too mutch to the left caused rear seats were getting less cold.
I do keep it all the way to the left during the summer months.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 10:56 AM   #218
skrontz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 760iX, 2025 X7 M60i

One has to keep in mind that the point of climate control is to keep a certain temperature inside the car in the most unobtrusive way. Blasting cold air into one’s face is different. Not to say that some don’t like it, but this is clearly not what BMW was going for.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 11:18 AM   #219
DimaA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2025 x7 M60i on order.

On my cars that I currently own, all I do is set the temperature and leave it in auto mode. I never have to change anything, and it automatically switches between AC and heat as needed. Is this not the case with the X7?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:22 PM   #220
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimaA View Post
On my cars that I currently own, all I do is set the temperature and leave it in auto mode. I never have to change anything, and it automatically switches between AC and heat as needed. Is this not the case with the X7?
BMW's have a second setting that adjust the air coming out the vents, you can select cooler air or warmer air.

This is in addition to the temp you set.

Used to be a dial in between the vents (you turn towards red to get hot air, blue to get cooler air). Now it's a setting hidden in the idrive menu.
Appreciate 0