BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Towing - brake controller, weight distribution

05-23-2021, 10:05 AM   #89
elp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp View Post
Interesting, I have to look it up and see if that's a common setup, if not, I'd much prefer to secure the controller on the A-frame for improved reliability and safety.
I doubt it. IIRC, the company that made the camera system installed on his trailer supplied the special cable as the issue was unique to the camera system function, but did not affect the brake controller function (or lights) of the Echo and the trailer.

Honestly, I would not worry too much about it as the system as designed works pretty well. Most don’t have issues (based on what has been reported on the forums anyway). But if you want a bit of extra security, then adding some tape as mentioned above should be more than enough.
Thanks, yea, I could use tape just to be sure but wouldn't that leave sticky stuff in it after removal?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #90
columbia16
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, Arctic Gray

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting, I have to look it up and see if that's a common setup, if not, I'd much prefer to secure the controller on the A-frame for improved reliability and safety.
I doubt it. IIRC, the company that made the camera system installed on his trailer supplied the special cable as the issue was unique to the camera system function, but did not affect the brake controller function (or lights) of the Echo and the trailer.

Honestly, I would not worry too much about it as the system as designed works pretty well. Most don't have issues (based on what has been reported on the forums anyway). But if you want a bit of extra security, then adding some tape as mentioned above should be more than enough.
Thanks, yea, I could use tape just to be sure but wouldn't that leave sticky stuff in it after removal?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Honestly, I would not worry too much about it as the system as designed works pretty well. Most don't have issues (based on what has been reported on the forums anyway). But if you want a bit of extra security, then adding some tape as mentioned above should be more than enough.
No residue at all when using electrical tape!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:17 AM   #91
Toga_Lock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
You're referring to the wiring harness from the back of the tow hitch? Since BMW stopped making the X7 "pre-wired for brake controllers" starting in MY2021, I have no idea what wiring's in there anymore. That's why I went with the Curt wireless controller, just to make it easy.

If you're referring to the actual trailer plug into the tow hitch, it has both the standard 4-pin and standard round 8-pin plugs, both of which are universal. Pics from my road trip thread.

I was referring to the plug supposedly under the dash. But I never looked under the dash because I couldn’t find a connector, so maybe they quit putting in as you said.

I ended up going with a Curt Echo. Mine came with a rubber strap (was stuffed inside the female end). I borrowed a friend’s car hauler trailer to test it before I pick up the camper next week. It seemed to work well. However, I did order the override button. I’m not going to have the app open on my phone for 2 hours driving just in case I need to hit the brakes on the camper only.

The other thing I realized is that the mirrors on the X7 are WAAAY smaller than on my Sequoia. I backed up to my buddy’s big camper and couldn’t see shit around the sides. So I think I’m going to get some aftermarket extensions. Does anybody have recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #92
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toga_Lock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
You're referring to the wiring harness from the back of the tow hitch? Since BMW stopped making the X7 "pre-wired for brake controllers" starting in MY2021, I have no idea what wiring's in there anymore. That's why I went with the Curt wireless controller, just to make it easy.

If you're referring to the actual trailer plug into the tow hitch, it has both the standard 4-pin and standard round 8-pin plugs, both of which are universal. Pics from my road trip thread.

I was referring to the plug supposedly under the dash. But I never looked under the dash because I couldn't find a connector, so maybe they quit putting in as you said.

I ended up going with a Curt Echo. Mine came with a rubber strap (was stuffed inside the female end). I borrowed a friend's car hauler trailer to test it before I pick up the camper next week. It seemed to work well. However, I did order the override button. I'm not going to have the app open on my phone for 2 hours driving just in case I need to hit the brakes on the camper only.

The other thing I realized is that the mirrors on the X7 are WAAAY smaller than on my Sequoia. I backed up to my buddy's big camper and couldn't see shit around the sides. So I think I'm going to get some aftermarket extensions. Does anybody have recommendations?
Why wouldn't you have the app open (and connected) while you are towing and using the Echo brake controller? That is the whole purpose for this setup. There is a safety mechanism that will keep the Echo brake controller functioning if your phone drops the BT connection for some reason. But I don't believe the system was intentionally designed to be in use (i.e. towing) for an extended period of time purposely disconnected from your phone.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 07:32 AM   #93
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

I'm curious what override button this is?
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:32 PM   #94
MHvolley6
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

After a year of unsuccessfully waiting for Furion to make the adaptor available to the general public, I am looking for an alternative. Does anyone on here use the Haloview camera set-up? If so, any issues with the BMW or adaptors required?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:33 PM   #95
elp
Private First Class
Rep

Curious with folks who have WDH setup on vehicle with Air Suspension, did you install the hitch and did the height measurements initially with air suspension at lowest level? I'm having some issues with weight distribution and I thought it maybe related to air suspension taking on almost all of the tongue weight instead of being distracted via WDH. Mine was setup at mid level on a X7. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:31 AM   #96
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Curious with folks who have WDH setup on vehicle with Air Suspension, did you install the hitch and did the height measurements initially with air suspension at lowest level? I'm having some issues with weight distribution and I thought it maybe related to air suspension taking on almost all of the tongue weight instead of being distracted via WDH. Mine was setup at mid level on a X7. Thanks.
What issues with weight distribution are you having? After I got my X7, I used the Better Weigh app (and device) by Curt to determine what my tongue weight was with my rig (my car trailer) so that I could adjust the tongue weight accordingly. I also thought I may have to adjust the height of my hitch in order for my trailer to ride level since my previous SUV was higher than the X7. I did this initial setup with the air suspension disabled (at mid ride height level), which is recommended by Curt, so the air suspension did not interfere. Turns out the position of my car on my trailer, combined with the WDH setup installed on my trailer, kept tongue weight well within limits.

With the air suspension re-enabled, it leveled out my X7 even more (it was already very close to level), contributing to an even smoother ride while towing. Sounds like your issue could be you just have too much weight too far forward on your trailer. Or you are carrying too much weight in the back of the X7 while towing (or both). Those two variables contribute to tongue weight as well - and the air suspension may not be able to compensate.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
elp39.00
      06-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #97
elp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What issues with weight distribution are you having? After I got my X7, I used the Better Weigh app (and device) by Curt to determine what my tongue weight was with my rig (my car trailer) so that I could adjust the tongue weight accordingly. I also thought I may have to adjust the height of my hitch in order for my trailer to ride level since my previous SUV was higher than the X7. I did this initial setup with the air suspension disabled (at mid ride height level), which is recommended by Curt, so the air suspension did not interfere. Turns out the position of my car on my trailer, combined with the WDH setup installed on my trailer, kept tongue weight well within limits.

With the air suspension re-enabled, it leveled out my X7 even more (it was already very close to level), contributing to an even smoother ride while towing. Sounds like your issue could be you just have too much weight too far forward on your trailer. Or you are carrying too much weight in the back of the X7 while towing (or both). Those two variables contribute to tongue weight as well - and the air suspension may not be able to compensate.
Thanks for your input. This is great to hear you setup WDH at mid level. It was my case as well at the dealership but I did not disable air suspension. I did see some other comments where folks mentioned about setting air suspension to the lowest level during initial setup and let it inflat and raise to the normal mid level height after Trailer weight has been added, but not sure if this is commonly done and how it will affect weight distribution. In terms of weight of my trailer, I do have some stuff in the front storage bay I can move back but not that much. I think battery and LP probably added quite a bit, but then I'm really hoping wdh will be able to spread that weight out. How do you find the curt better weight device is working? I saw mixed reviews and was mentioned that the result can vary by as much as 10%. Have you compare the result to traditional weighting methods?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:04 PM   #98
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for your input. This is great to hear you setup WDH at mid level. It was my case as well at the dealership but I did not disable air suspension. I did see some other comments where folks mentioned about setting air suspension to the lowest level during initial setup and let it inflat and raise to the normal mid level height after Trailer weight has been added, but not sure if this is commonly done and how it will affect weight distribution. In terms of weight of my trailer, I do have some stuff in the front storage bay I can move back but not that much. I think battery and LP probably added quite a bit, but then I'm really hoping wdh will be able to spread that weight out. How do you find the curt better weight device is working? I saw mixed reviews and was mentioned that the result can vary by as much as 10%. Have you compare the result to traditional weighting methods?
I think the Curt Better Weigh works well enough, and it is a great tool with additional features as well. I never compared it to a traditional tongue weight scale as I did not have access to one. I followed all of the calibration steps very closely which I think is key for best accuracy. Between my WDH setup and the air suspension, my rig rides very smooth. Also, I am not sure if it matters, but when towing I drive in Adaptive mode.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:09 PM   #99
elp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think the Curt Better Weigh works well enough, and it is a great tool with additional features as well. I never compared it to a traditional tongue weight scale as I did not have access to one. I followed all of the calibration steps very closely which I think is key for best accuracy. Between my WDH setup and the air suspension, my rig rides very smooth. Also, I am not sure if it matters, but when towing I drive in Adaptive mode.
That's good to hear! What engine do you have? I try to drive with adaptive as well, occasionally will switch to a Sport. So far it seems to do pretty well. Only a few times the engine went up to 4K rpm while going up the mountain near Seattle, and I just keep at a lower speed. Otherwise it seems to tow well, I don't feel it most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:25 AM   #100
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's good to hear! What engine do you have? I try to drive with adaptive as well, occasionally will switch to a Sport. So far it seems to do pretty well. Only a few times the engine went up to 4K rpm while going up the mountain near Seattle, and I just keep at a lower speed. Otherwise it seems to tow well, I don't feel it most of the time.
I have the 40i ….

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 02:17 AM   #101
elp
Private First Class
Rep

I heard some horror story where someone's air suspension system got ruined due to self leveling feature constantly adjusting/compensating the weight exerted by WDH. Has anyone experienced or heard this? Is there a way to turn off self leveling feature while leaving air suspension for ride comfort?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 05:14 AM   #102
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I heard some horror story where someone's air suspension system got ruined due to self leveling feature constantly adjusting/compensating the weight exerted by WDH. Has anyone experienced or heard this? Is there a way to turn off self leveling feature while leaving air suspension for ride comfort?
I am far from an expert on the X7 air suspension system or even WDH design, but that makes absolutely no sense. Without knowing the details of what allegedly happened, that sounds like there may have been some extenuating circumstances left out (like towing too much weight or very poor weight distribution?), thus contributing to what sounds like an "internet urban legend".

A WDH system is a "set it and forget it" system. When setup properly, along with proper trailer height and trailer weight distribution, it allows the additional rear weight of the trailer to be better and evenly distributed across the front and rear axles of the towing vehicle. This in turn allows the tow vehicle to ride level, which leads to a smooth and safe towing experience. The air suspension further assists by making adjustments to the suspension to keep the towing vehicle level. So in theory, if your WDH system is setup "perfectly", the air suspension should not have to do anything (but nothing is perfect of course).

Furthermore, the X7 air suspension is designed to work with towing, as it has a towing option (not all air suspension systems on all vehicles are designed to work with towing). I highly doubt towing would be the cause for any type of air suspension failure, especially if your tow rig is setup properly (proper tongue weight, proper WDH setup if you have it, etc). As far as turning off the load leveling aspect, I will say it can't be done. Or at least I have not seen a specific option to do so (I haven't looked either). You could disable the air suspension altogether while towing. But I would not advise that as the X7 with air suspension from the factory (you can actually get X7's w/o air suspension in other markets) is designed to be on when driving.

So bottom line, I think you are over thinking this. It is not that difficult to setup your tow rig properly for safe towing with the X7. Also, a WDH system is not required to tow, but in general it is advised to have one if you are towing heavier loads like large campers, larger boats, or cars to name a few examples. But if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, then just take it to a professional for help with your setup.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #103
elp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am far from an expert on the X7 air suspension system or even WDH design, but that makes absolutely no sense. Without knowing the details of what allegedly happened, that sounds like there may have been some extenuating circumstances left out (like towing too much weight or very poor weight distribution?), thus contributing to what sounds like an "internet urban legend".

A WDH system is a "set it and forget it" system. When setup properly, along with proper trailer height and trailer weight distribution, it allows the additional rear weight of the trailer to be better and evenly distributed across the front and rear axles of the towing vehicle. This in turn allows the tow vehicle to ride level, which leads to a smooth and safe towing experience. The air suspension further assists by making adjustments to the suspension to keep the towing vehicle level. So in theory, if your WDH system is setup "perfectly", the air suspension should not have to do anything (but nothing is perfect of course).

Furthermore, the X7 air suspension is designed to work with towing, as it has a towing option (not all air suspension systems on all vehicles are designed to work with towing). I highly doubt towing would be the cause for any type of air suspension failure, especially if your tow rig is setup properly (proper tongue weight, proper WDH setup if you have it, etc). As far as turning off the load leveling aspect, I will say it can't be done. Or at least I have not seen a specific option to do so (I haven't looked either). You could disable the air suspension altogether while towing. But I would not advise that as the X7 with air suspension from the factory (you can actually get X7's w/o air suspension in other markets) is designed to be on when driving.

So bottom line, I think you are over thinking this. It is not that difficult to setup your tow rig properly for safe towing with the X7. Also, a WDH system is not required to tow, but in general it is advised to have one if you are towing heavier loads like large campers, larger boats, or cars to name a few examples. But if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, then just take it to a professional for help with your setup.
Thanks for your input jmciver! I know very little about WDH so, spending a lot of time learning about how this works and trying to figure out what is the issue with my setup. Looks like this maybe related to Air Suspension and Auto Leveling system. While researching more on this, I ran into a post about the mention of this issue. The problem and cause was pretty vague and was on a Mercedes from 6/7 years ago, so, not sure if it was due to dated technology or things weren't setup correctly. It does give me a lot of comfort and confidence reading your reply, and the fact that as soon as a trailer connection is detected, the height rocker and other features get disabled tell me that BMW engineers have thought about this. So hopefully this will not be a problem.

On a related question, I realized that X7 has a very low front axle weight rating, on my particular vehicle, it says GAWR front is 3020 lbs. Last time I drove through a CAT Scale, it told me my front axle weight was 2720 lbs (this was without any trailer attached, so just the car and myself sitting in the car). Once I have wife and kids added to the car, this number will get even closer to that 3020 limit. My question here is whether this car is really designed to use with WDH which can easily added 200+ lbs of weight to the front axle and blow up the limit. Anyone have thought about or experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 12:28 AM   #104
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

When you hitch up the trailer, load on the front axle decreases. As an example it can drop from. 2700 lbs to 2500 lbs. With WDH you can transfer 20-30% of tongue weight. You should have enough margin on the front axle.

Quote:
Thanks for your input jmciver! I know very little about WDH so, spending a lot of time learning about how this works and trying to figure out what is the issue with my setup. Looks like this maybe related to Air Suspension and Auto Leveling system. While researching more on this, I ran into a post about the mention of this issue. The problem and cause was pretty vague and was on a Mercedes from 6/7 years ago, so, not sure if it was due to dated technology or things weren't setup correctly. It does give me a lot of comfort and confidence reading your reply, and the fact that as soon as a trailer connection is detected, the height rocker and other features get disabled tell me that BMW engineers have thought about this. So hopefully this will not be a problem.

On a related question, I realized that X7 has a very low front axle weight rating, on my particular vehicle, it says GAWR front is 3020 lbs. Last time I drove through a CAT Scale, it told me my front axle weight was 2720 lbs (this was without any trailer attached, so just the car and myself sitting in the car). Once I have wife and kids added to the car, this number will get even closer to that 3020 limit. My question here is whether this car is really designed to use with WDH which can easily added 200+ lbs of weight to the front axle and blow up the limit. Anyone have thought about or experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 12:44 AM   #105
elp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
When you hitch up the trailer, load on the front axle decreases. As an example it can drop from. 2700 lbs to 2500 lbs. With WDH you can transfer 20-30% of tongue weight. You should have enough margin on the front axle.

Quote:

Bono, if I understood you correctly, I should be seeing a net loss of weight with WDH? 30% of my current tongue weight is about 150lbs.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #106
Amerkin
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i 2017 ZO6

I’m looking into towing about 6000# of trailer and car with my X7 M50i. The brake controllers (like Curt Echo) are mentioned here. My question: will the X7 control the trailer’s electric brakes through the hitch’s pin connection? And if so, are you adding the brake controller for additional control of the trailer’s brakes?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 12:01 PM   #107
elp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerkin View Post
I'm looking into towing about 6000# of trailer and car with my X7 M50i. The brake controllers (like Curt Echo) are mentioned here. My question: will the X7 control the trailer's electric brakes through the hitch's pin connection? And if so, are you adding the brake controller for additional control of the trailer's brakes?
Yes. The brake paddle will brake both TV and the trailer. Sensitivity setting in the app controls how the brake feels and needs to get adjusted according to yours setup. There is override button, both on the app and as a separate accessory you can purchase to manually brake the trailer when needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 04:04 PM   #108
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerkin View Post
I'm looking into towing about 6000# of trailer and car with my X7 M50i. The brake controllers (like Curt Echo) are mentioned here. My question: will the X7 control the trailer's electric brakes through the hitch's pin connection? And if so, are you adding the brake controller for additional control of the trailer's brakes?
Yes. The brake paddle will brake both TV and the trailer. Sensitivity setting in the app controls how the brake feels and needs to get adjusted according to yours setup. There is override button, both on the app and as a separate accessory you can purchase to manually brake the trailer when needed.
In addition to this, you can also setup different profiles using the Curt Echo controller for different rig setups. I recommend you have one for an empty trailer and one for when your trailer is loaded with your car as the brake sensitivity settings for each condition will be noticeably different.

This only works for trailers with electric brakes, which is the case for most trailers that are not boat trailers (which use hydraulic brakes). Of note, all Uhaul trailers use hydraulic brakes in case that is the trailer you plan to use to tow your car (so the Curt Echo unit would not be needed).

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 12:13 AM   #109
elp
Private First Class
Rep

Came across this video on YT today and thought it's an informative one to share

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:13 AM   #110
Toga_Lock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

As I said before, I ended up going with the Curt Echo brake controller. I also bought the override button….just because. All of it worked great and is super clean. I set up the app, started pulling the camper and made a few adjustments, then I was on my way. The override button worked well too. I stuck it next to the gear shifter. When I was finished with the trip, I removed the button, put the sticky cover back on, and put it all away. It’s a bit pricey for towing occasionally, but not having to drill holes, or rewire anything made it well worth it. For a reference, this camper that I rented is 5,500 lbs empty. My guess is that I was at about 6,000-6,500 lbs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0