BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum New X7 Build - no touchscreen?!

10-30-2021, 02:53 PM   #67
liroyan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pana511 View Post
There needs to be enough people rejecting these orders with this $500 credit, I mean $500 for no Touch Screen and no parking assistant with is basically half of the $800 parking assistant prackage. This is poor customer service, we who have cars coming should flood BMW USA Customer service's number with complaints at this point...my crappy CA hasn't even called to let me know this is going on
My dealer didn't tell me anything about parking assistant, maybe it's just an X5 thing?
I agree with the poor customer service part. $500 for touchscreen on a $100k car is humiliating. I might accept it if they promise a future retrofit installation but not this.
This is my first custom build and first BMW. It really hurts when you configured, waited, watched it enter production then know this. I'm very close to become a bmw hater at this point..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 04:20 PM   #68
pana511
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by liroyan View Post
My dealer didn't tell me anything about parking assistant, maybe it's just an X5 thing?
I agree with the poor customer service part. $500 for touchscreen on a $100k car is humiliating. I might accept it if they promise a future retrofit installation but not this.
This is my first custom build and first BMW. It really hurts when you configured, waited, watched it enter production then know this. I'm very close to become a bmw hater at this point..
My understanding is that the touch screen and parking assistant are linked therefore they have to work together. I looked at a couple of tutorials on Youtube and I can see that they are linked because that is the way you select the spot or the type of auto parking to be done....overall sux The bad part is I probably won't miss it, but this is something I would want the wife to use so she doesn't come home one day and say opps I miss judged the spot and curbed the wheels!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 06:56 PM   #69
SSM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Instead of picking up a 2022 with missing parts, you are better off waiting for the 2023 LCI. The new dash is amazing !! I spent some time with the new system in a new i4. Graphics are fantastic !! I sold my wife's end of lease Q7 which was over the allowed miles. We owed Audi $1800 in mileage and turn in fees and the Audi dealer cut us a check for $7300 instead. Picked up a Volvo XC90 subscription to hold her until September for the LCI. The subscription is a great program, it allows you to turn in the car anytime after 5 months and includes Insurance, all maintenance including brakes and Tire & Wheel insurance. Cost is about $300 more per month than a regular lease but with insurance and all of the other items, it's a great deal.

It's interesting that Volvo has HK or Bowers & Wilkins on most of their cars on the lot. They also have wireless charging on all of them. The dealer told me they have no issues with these, and can custom order with all them anytime.
The car we picked up has the B & W and it sounds really good !!

2023 M5 Comp Skyscraper Grey,Executive Pack, Drivers Assistance, B&W, 789's.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 07:10 PM   #70
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

If I was buying a Corolla or a civic or smaller car for my kid, I say heck with some options not available. For a 100k dream car that doesn’t work. Like buying a new house with missing toilets. Every time I will get in the car I will remember everything missing.
I remind myself every day - it’s ok to wait 2 years but get what you want.
Breathing exercises ��
Appreciate 3
Wild Blue3683.50
MystroX56289.50
djbonsu113.00
      10-30-2021, 09:44 PM   #71
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Well, to be clear, dealers aren't really much clued in; the touchscreen delete also deletes "backup assistant" which is specifically the software that auto-reverses the car the last X number of feet you drove (x=150' or somesuch), but not the whole parking package.

Anyway, do you know what week your vehicle was built?

Given it'll be there next week, it seems odd yours would've been included ... I've read it's week 44+ builds only... but maybe yours shipped incredibly fast?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 10:05 PM   #72
liroyan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Well, to be clear, dealers aren't really much clued in; the touchscreen delete also deletes "backup assistant" which is specifically the software that auto-reverses the car the last X number of feet you drove (x=150' or somesuch), but not the whole parking package.

Anyway, do you know what week your vehicle was built?

Given it'll be there next week, it seems odd yours would've been included ... I've read it's week 44+ builds only... but maybe yours shipped incredibly fast?
Mine was built this week(week 43 if I understand it correctly). Assembled on Thursday, and current state is ready for transport.
My dealer said something like "I didn't expect yours to be affected too since it went in production already but I just checked your spec sheet and it has touchscreen removed".
guess I'm really unlucky.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 10:08 PM   #73
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Mine was built this week(week 43 if I understand it correctly). Assembled on Thursday, and current state is ready for transport.
My dealer said something like "I didn't expect yours to be affected too since it went in production already but I just checked your spec sheet and it has touchscreen removed".
guess I'm really unlucky.
gah! that sucks very sorry to hear
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 11:07 PM   #74
liroyan
Private
Rep

psa you can use https://www.mdecoder.com/ and see if you have "S6UY ENTF. TOUCHFUNKTION CONTROL DISPLAY" listed.
my production date is 10/27 and I'm seeing this.
I'm definitely rejecting my order. This whole week I've been looking forward to finally getting it. I can understand the supply issue but how they handle this is just as intolerable as no touchscreen on an x7.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 12:08 AM   #75
Bigjoe17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 m50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pana511 View Post
There needs to be enough people rejecting these orders with this $500 credit, I mean $500 for no Touch Screen and no parking assistant with is basically half of the $800 parking assistant prackage. This is poor customer service, we who have cars coming should flood BMW USA Customer service's number with complaints at this point...my crappy CA hasn't even called to let me know this is going on
To be fair I've heard Mercedes is having to delete some options also. It's not only a bmw thing unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 09:05 AM   #76
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

Yes Land Rover as well. Regardless, who wants a limited configuration sheet? Also, look around the globe…funny how these issues don't appear to be happening in other parts of the whole. Only the US. Why is that?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 10:41 AM   #77
liroyan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoe17 View Post
To be fair I've heard Mercedes is having to delete some options also. It's not only a bmw thing unfortunately.
I know Audi has stopped giving you two keys upon delivery few months ago, but they will send you the second key after 6 months, not like "here's $200. bye"
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #78
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
I know Audi has stopped giving you two keys upon delivery few months ago, but they will send you the second key after 6 months, not like "here's $200. bye"
We picked up our ordered Audi in August and received both keys.
It did take them 7 months from order to delivery but at least we got all our options.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 01:20 PM   #79
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

With both our X5 & X7, I can count on one hand how many times I used the touchscreen. I almost always use the i-drive controller knob. I wouldn't let that keep you from taking delivery.
      10-31-2021, 09:12 PM   #80
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
Yes Land Rover as well. Regardless, who wants a limited configuration sheet? Also, look around the globe…funny how these issues don't appear to be happening in other parts of the whole. Only the US. Why is that?
May be a volume issue. US is a big market, and they want all the cars there to have the same options (imagine the confusion if certain dealers were allowed to order with touchscreen, others were not). So if you only have X available, and it may not be enough to feed the US market, might as well fill up foreign markets were X is more than enough.

I don’t have anything scientific to back this up, but the US market may also be less sensitive to features (which also means BMW, playing a numbers game, rather take them away from the Americans) - I’ve found that cars in the US are always spec’d lower than equivalents overseas. Heck, even the rental car specs overseas have 4 zone climate and full digital dash in the 5 series years before the US had it.

Remember these - I think they were only on US spec 5 series back in the first few years before BMW went all digital. See attached.

Maybe that’s the next step…
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      11-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #81
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I just ordered an x7, let's see how badly they strip everything out
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      11-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #82
Mtka Beach BMW
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

From my BMW client advisor who I trust and have purchased a number of BMWs from over the years:

... when I look at your build it now shows the code (but no description) 6UY that is being used for the Touch Screen delete and a credit of $500.00. However there has just been a Technical Service Bulletin come out stating that BMW is issuing a Delivery Stop on certain Model Year 2022 vehicles that are being produced between now and the end of November which do not have the touch screen. It states that there will be a software fix available sometime in November. So it sounds like there is a fix to solve the problem coming. When, I don’t know, and I don’t know if they will hold the car at the Vehicle Processing Center and do it there before they ship it or if they will ship it to me and then we do the repair when it becomes available. The X7 M5.0i that I mentioned the other day that is a sold order that I have and was just finished the other day and has this problem now shows the “Stop Sale” in the upper left of the build sheet where it says “Holds”. So I’m anticipating that yours will probably show that way too shortly after it gets built unless they have the repair by that time. That car will also kind of be the one that tells the tale of whether or not they ship the cars to me or if they keep them there. So I will keep you posted on what I see and hear the next few days. Bottom Line is it tentatively sounds like there will be a slight delay but it is really too early to say that about your car too since it hasn’t even been built yet. But I will keep you in the loop.

My response to my BMW Client Advisor:
Dear Gregg,

See attached article from the X7 post. Also, see the screen print from the BMW USA website which still states even today the touchscreen is available. Question is whether the screen will be touchscreen at a later point or whether BMW will replace the screen. The software updated seems to deactivate the touchscreen feature. What I am wrestling with a temporary issue that BMW will fix once the parts are in vs. having a COVID X7 that will have a lower resale value in the future. Even my 2019 Subaru has a touchscreen! Not to mention to X3 that I purchased from you for my wife. If you haven't done so already, I would suggest some strong feedback to BMW that they really need to solve for this other than a $500 credit on a $113,000. Appreciate you keeping me updated.

Response from my BMW Client Advisor:
I’ll keep you posted… I don’t think BMW wants anybody to receive or take delivery of a vehicle that is supposed to have a touch screen and not have it. And I think that’s why they are putting on the “Stop Sale” but again it is just too sketchy to me so far so I’m waiting on more details. They make it sound like we will have the solution and everything should be normal but I’m sure this has caught them off guard too. Like I said I’ll let you know everything I find out just as quickly as I hear so that you can make an informed decision. But again my thinking at this point is everything will be fine with the exception of a slight delay to get the repair or software update.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #83
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

It doesn't make sense to quick-ship incomplete x7's--and yes, skipping the touchscreen makes it incomplete.
      11-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #84
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Yeah I don’t understand people ordering 100k vehicles with multiple options missing. Either wait or buy something else.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #85
liroyan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtka Beach BMW View Post
From my BMW client advisor who I trust and have purchased a number of BMWs from over the years:

... when I look at your build it now shows the code (but no description) 6UY that is being used for the Touch Screen delete and a credit of $500.00. However there has just been a Technical Service Bulletin come out stating that BMW is issuing a Delivery Stop on certain Model Year 2022 vehicles that are being produced between now and the end of November which do not have the touch screen. It states that there will be a software fix available sometime in November. So it sounds like there is a fix to solve the problem coming. When, I don’t know, and I don’t know if they will hold the car at the Vehicle Processing Center and do it there before they ship it or if they will ship it to me and then we do the repair when it becomes available. The X7 M5.0i that I mentioned the other day that is a sold order that I have and was just finished the other day and has this problem now shows the “Stop Sale” in the upper left of the build sheet where it says “Holds”. So I’m anticipating that yours will probably show that way too shortly after it gets built unless they have the repair by that time. That car will also kind of be the one that tells the tale of whether or not they ship the cars to me or if they keep them there. So I will keep you posted on what I see and hear the next few days. Bottom Line is it tentatively sounds like there will be a slight delay but it is really too early to say that about your car too since it hasn’t even been built yet. But I will keep you in the loop.

My response to my BMW Client Advisor:
Dear Gregg,

See attached article from the X7 post. Also, see the screen print from the BMW USA website which still states even today the touchscreen is available. Question is whether the screen will be touchscreen at a later point or whether BMW will replace the screen. The software updated seems to deactivate the touchscreen feature. What I am wrestling with a temporary issue that BMW will fix once the parts are in vs. having a COVID X7 that will have a lower resale value in the future. Even my 2019 Subaru has a touchscreen! Not to mention to X3 that I purchased from you for my wife. If you haven't done so already, I would suggest some strong feedback to BMW that they really need to solve for this other than a $500 credit on a $113,000. Appreciate you keeping me updated.

Response from my BMW Client Advisor:
I’ll keep you posted… I don’t think BMW wants anybody to receive or take delivery of a vehicle that is supposed to have a touch screen and not have it. And I think that’s why they are putting on the “Stop Sale” but again it is just too sketchy to me so far so I’m waiting on more details. They make it sound like we will have the solution and everything should be normal but I’m sure this has caught them off guard too. Like I said I’ll let you know everything I find out just as quickly as I hear so that you can make an informed decision. But again my thinking at this point is everything will be fine with the exception of a slight delay to get the repair or software update.
I think I read it somewhere the software update is on Nov 11th, which is to enable operating the system without touchscreen. I like your response, I can feel the suppressed angry, just like what I have now lol.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      11-01-2021, 05:28 PM   #86
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

a software change to handle the lack of a touchscreen is not a fix.

just delay the f'n things.
      11-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #87
waqiidepp
WaqiiDepp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07%E2%80%99 328xi coupe, 12%E2

What week build are we in now ? My CA says mine should be done by thanksgiving or early December based on this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #88
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqiidepp View Post
What week build are we in now ? My CA says mine should be done by thanksgiving or early December based on this.
According to a calendar, there's 8 weeks left in 2021. Given there's 52 weeks a year, that means we are currently in week 44 of 2021.
Appreciate 0