BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum New X7 Build - no touchscreen?!

11-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #89
640ibimmerguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Buddy of mine just texted to say his wives X5 M competition that was supposed to go into production has been delayed till spring...wonder if this is coming across the board or if it was just to do with the M model???
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 05:44 PM   #90
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsnyc View Post
I signed a contract for a 2022 X7 back in August and it finally hit the production queue last Friday. Today I received an email from my CA stating the car would be built without a touchscreen and that while it would still have the live cockpit, I would have to use the regular iDrive to navigate the screen. I find this rather ridiculous. Can BMW not delay the car until the parts are in stock?! What next, are they going to start selling cars without engines or steering wheels? I realize this is sounding a lot like a first world problem, and I suppose it is, but shesh!

BMW needs to terminate their head of supply chain as they failed to come up with proper contingency plans.
Say what the what now? We've sunk to a new low in the supply chain, that on a flagship X7, they're now removing the touchscreen part of the primary electronic interface for the whole car?

Now, to be fair, I almost never touch the screen. I prefer to keep it clean, no fingerprints, so I use the iDrive controller 90% of the time, voice control over 9% of the time, and use touch less than 1%.

So while I can be realistic about this, it's just shake-my-head sad and pathetic how bad this supply crap has gotten, even on flagship $100k+ automobiles. And the fact that we're even DISCUSSING retrofitting X7's because they're not produced 100% right to start with? Seriously? This is not the time to be buying cars. I feel for all of us.
If someone is using CarPlay or Android Auto, the touchscreen is more efficient IMHO. Plus the X5/X7 have an excellent screen with very responsive touch. It is a differentiator. I know people who are looking at this years X7, since there are rumors the LCI might have the split headlight design…
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 07:14 PM   #91
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtka Beach BMW View Post
From my BMW client advisor who I trust and have purchased a number of BMWs from over the years:

there has just been a Technical Service Bulletin ... It states that there will be a software fix available sometime in November. So it sounds like there is a fix to solve the problem coming
Quote:
Originally Posted by liroyan View Post
I think I read it somewhere the software update is on Nov 11th, which is to enable operating the system without touchscreen.
Yup, here's part of the message from a dealer on another site who seems to have much more specific & detailed information:
Impacted models:
  • G20 3 Series
  • G22/G23 4 Series Coupe and Convertible
  • G26 4 Series Gran Coupe (excluding i4)
  • G29 Z4
  • G05/G06/G07 (all variants)
With the inclusion of Option Code 6UY:
  • Touch functionality will not be present in the aforementioned vehicles
  • Other functionalities of the infotainment system (including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto) remain unaffected and can be used via the iDrive Controller and/or voice control
  • Additionally, vehicles with Parking Assistant Package (5DN/ZPK) will lose Backup Assistant when coupled with 6UY
  • These vehicles will have Option Code ZUY included in the build and Monroney labels to indicate “Deletion of Backup Assistant”
Vehicles with Option Code 6UY are expected to begin shipping this week from Plant Spartanburg, with overseas production to follow next week. All vehicles produced with this option will require a software update prior to retail and customer delivery as they will be shipped and wholesaled with a Retail Stop Sale. The software update will be available as of November 11.

With the software update forthcoming, we felt it was best to deliver the vehicles as they are built to expedite the resolution process.
The software update isn't a "fix", rather it's to delete UI functionality that requires and/or refers to the touchscreen.

The software update likely wasn't a big lift for BMW as they were already working on an iDrive 8 "genius option" to disable the touchscreen (for example, for people who don't want kids / passengers being able to use the touchscreen.)
Another genius "option": the new dashboard will be available with the touch screen function disabled. Will be seen first in the 2023 G42.

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-02-2021 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #92
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7 Alpina

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqiidepp View Post
What week build are we in now ? My CA says mine should be done by thanksgiving or early December based on this.
Mine was also scheduled for week 44 but entered production a little early on Oct 20. Current status show Quality Check. Week 44 should be Oct 31-Nov 6. Or Nov 1-Nov 7. Depends on which calendar you go by. Bmw says Oct 31-Nov 6. I believe most of the times cars are already completed by the end of the production week unless they have any unexpected delays.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 10:38 AM   #93
waqiidepp
WaqiiDepp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07%E2%80%99 328xi coupe, 12%E2

Has anyone picked up a X7 this week and can confirm that touch screen is missing ?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #94
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by waqiidepp View Post
Has anyone picked up a X7 this week and can confirm that touch screen is missing ?
Test drove an X7 and X5 yesterday and both cars had touchscreen missing and confirmed on Monroney sticker.
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 12:12 PM   #95
liroyan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastula View Post
Test drove an X7 and X5 yesterday and both cars had touchscreen missing and confirmed on Monroney sticker.
how did you feel about missing touchscreen experience? have you tried CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #96
pd112
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsnyc View Post
I signed a contract for a 2022 X7 back in August and it finally hit the production queue last Friday. Today I received an email from my CA stating the car would be built without a touchscreen and that while it would still have the live cockpit, I would have to use the regular iDrive to navigate the screen. I find this rather ridiculous. Can BMW not delay the car until the parts are in stock?! What next, are they going to start selling cars without engines or steering wheels? I realize this is sounding a lot like a first world problem, and I suppose it is, but shesh!

BMW needs to terminate their head of supply chain as they failed to come up with proper contingency plans.
refuse delivery if they can sell the car without touchscreen they are not going to be motivated to try hard to procure them. Its ridiculous they cant find a 500$ part for a 80K car.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 03:46 PM   #97
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastula View Post
how did you feel about missing touchscreen experience? have you tried CarPlay?
Carplay is usable but not convenient. The standard iDrive functionality is the same as prior years so a non-issue. Honestly if you have steering wheel buttons for answering the phone etc or handsfree i.e. Siri, that helps more. My other car has iDrive 6 and thus I have no experience with pinch to zoom in Carplay. If you use Apple Maps, and that worked previously with pinch to zoom in iDrive 7, then that is a loss. I personally still use BMW navigation and use the iDrive controller so not a big loss for me.
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 10:31 PM   #98
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

For just one small argument point, today my daughter and I hopped into The Godfather. Snowing in Alaska, temp like 32F. First thing my daughter did, hit the physical seat heat button on the passenger side, and then used the touchscreen to adjust it to max intensity.

I hadn't considered the passenger before, regarding the touchscreen issue. Unless someone is familiar with the iDrive, they're going to reach for the touchscreen to do whatever they're looking for--seat heat, radio station, music control, etc.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 2
bastula183.00
      11-07-2021, 06:35 AM   #99
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I guess I will add my $.02 to this BMW debacle….

I retrofitted/coded my '17 M3 with OEM touchscreen functionality, but don't use it that much with the exception of CarPlay sometimes, and occasionally entering an address in the BMW Nav system. This is primarily because the F30/F80 sedan was never really designed for touchscreen ergonomically as the screen is relatively far away from the driver - making use of touch a bit awkward. BMW only added touchscreen functionality to this chassis at the tail end of its model life. My M3 is running iDrive 6.

The X7 is a different story. iDrive 7 was built from the ground up with touchscreen integration in mind - even though the iDrive controller is still very effective. The ergonomics, combined with the larger touchscreen, makes the use of touch much more intuitive than the previous BMW's (like my M3), IMHO. I find myself using the touchscreen in the X7 much more frequently (combined with the programmable buttons), including CarPlay, as it gets through the menu structure more efficiently, IMHO.

Not much solace for the people who are losing this functionality with no factory alternative being offered. But for those that are losing this functionality, and are on the fence about accepting delivery, my recommendation is this…

1. Before taking delivery, go to the dealership and play with an iDrive 7 vehicle using only the iDrive controller. REALLY play with it for as long as necessary to get a good feel for using the system with no touchscreen.

2. If no touchscreen is still completely unacceptable, then walk. But if you are still on the fence, time to re-negotiate the deal and/or have BMW throw in more "stuff" to keep you happy. If after re-negotiating you are still not satisfied, then just walk (since you were mostly set on doing it anyway).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #100
liroyan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I guess I will add my $.02 to this BMW debacle….

I retrofitted/coded my '17 M3 with OEM touchscreen functionality, but don't use it that much with the exception of CarPlay sometimes, and occasionally entering an address in the BMW Nav system. This is primarily because the F30/F80 sedan was never really designed for touchscreen ergonomically as the screen is relatively far away from the driver - making use of touch a bit awkward. BMW only added touchscreen functionality to this chassis at the tail end of its model life. My M3 is running iDrive 6.

The X7 is a different story. iDrive 7 was built from the ground up with touchscreen integration in mind - even though the iDrive controller is still very effective. The ergonomics, combined with the larger touchscreen, makes the use of touch much more intuitive than the previous BMW's (like my M3), IMHO. I find myself using the touchscreen in the X7 much more frequently (combined with the programmable buttons), including CarPlay, as it gets through the menu structure more efficiently, IMHO.

Not much solace for the people who are losing this functionality with no factory alternative being offered. But for those that are losing this functionality, and are on the fence about accepting delivery, my recommendation is this…

1. Before taking delivery, go to the dealership and play with an iDrive 7 vehicle using only the iDrive controller. REALLY play with it for as long as necessary to get a good feel for using the system with no touchscreen.

2. If no touchscreen is still completely unacceptable, then walk. But if you are still on the fence, time to re-negotiate the deal and/or have BMW throw in more "stuff" to keep you happy. If after re-negotiating you are still not satisfied, then just walk (since you were mostly set on doing it anyway).
^THIS

my plan this Thurs/Fri is exactly this. Try and see if it's acceptable to my use case. If so, I'll try to negotiate and ultimately make it $2k-$3k cheaper than buying one with touch screen now. Hopefully $3k could retrofit it after one year or so.

But even if I take the delivery, and enjoy the car. This is still a terrible car purchasing experience, and BMW failed big time on communication and mitigation.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2021, 12:20 PM   #101
pana511
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
^THIS

my plan this Thurs/Fri is exactly this. Try and see if it's acceptable to my use case. If so, I'll try to negotiate and ultimately make it $2k-$3k cheaper than buying one with touch screen now. Hopefully $3k could retrofit it after one year or so.

But even if I take the delivery, and enjoy the car. This is still a terrible car purchasing experience, and BMW failed big time on communication and mitigation.
please keep the group posted on how you make out, I'm planning to do the same at the end of the month
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 12:29 AM   #102
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Would never take the X7 without touchscreen.

I don't use it as much on my M5 as it has the 10.2 screen......but use it all the time on the 12.3 X7 screen.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 04:21 AM   #103
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

This is a big issue and I might walk away from mine. Since my "build" isn't even in production yet; it could only get worst. By the time mine arrives, who knows what else might go missing.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 05:37 AM   #104
MilesAway
Rep
Drives: XC90

Got confirmation yesterday that mine was affected too. Cancelling the sale. I guess it's back to Volvo (XC90) for me. They still seem able to make cars with touchscreens (and Bowers & Wilkins).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:44 AM   #105
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
This is a big issue and I might walk away from mine. Since my "build" isn't even in production yet; it could only get worst. By the time mine arrives, who knows what else might go missing.
Walk away. At this point, the line in the sand is so far gone from a proper luxury flagship vehicle, you can’t see it anymore. It’s a shame, but I’d rather see BMW stop production than spitting out these heavily compromised versions.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #106
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

I would never accept delivery on an X7 without touchscreen. Period.

Forget whether or not you can adjust, your resale is going to be god awful.

I already compromised by not getting HK, wireless charging, and Wi-Fi hotspot on mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #107
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
I would never accept delivery on an X7 without touchscreen. Period.

Forget whether or not you can adjust, your resale is going to be god awful.

I already compromised by not getting HK, wireless charging, and Wi-Fi hotspot on mine.
FYI yours may have Wi-Fi, apparently some of the 22’s were shipped with connected drive apps that were out of date. See this post https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post28167537
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #108
deltachi96
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

My ordered M50i is sitting at the dealer. I can't take delivery until they do the software update due to a stop sale. very frustrating knowing it is sitting there and I cannot have it until the end of the week at least!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 07:47 AM   #109
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich5741 View Post
FYI yours may have Wi-Fi, apparently some of the 22’s were shipped with connected drive apps that were out of date. See this post https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post28167537
Unfortunately it appears mine does not have it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #110
BMWALLO
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ibimmerguy View Post
Buddy of mine just texted to say his wives X5 M competition that was supposed to go into production has been delayed till spring...wonder if this is coming across the board or if it was just to do with the M model???
That's odd have an X5M allocation at work that's open and we have not heard anything on delays.
Appreciate 0