BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Advice needed!!! My 2023 X7 is dead!

08-17-2022, 08:55 PM   #1
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord - Manual

Advice needed!!! My 2023 X7 is dead!

Hello everyone! I need help and advice. My took the delivery of the 23 X7 40i last Friday. Today, about 3 hours ago, it's dead. It showed a power train malfunction first and then a couple of minutes later, it became a drivetrain malfunction and won't even start. When I start the engine, I can hear the engining trying to start (not just the clicking sound) but it just won't start!!!

I am shocked! It has only 200 miles on it. On top of that, the tow truck cancelled on me 3 minutes before arrival after a 90 minute wait and then called roadside assistance, it's another 120 mins!!!

This is my first bimmer and it's crazy!!!

I am wondering other than getting it fixed, what are my options here? Demand a new car? Pre-order? Who do I even bring this up to at BMW? Or it's just my luck that I have to be stuck with it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:00 PM   #2
JJ(BM)Dubya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60

Oh snap that’s a nightmare. I don’t have advice aside from shave it towed to the dealer and demand they give you a loaner until it’s resolved to your satisfaction. Given the issues with QC many of us are having, and the software issue that called the stop sell, I’m guessing it’s related to that and yours may have gotten through. I hope it’s an isolated event and you get it recitatives quickly but this sure doesn’t bode well.
Appreciate 1
xcfloyd19.00
      08-17-2022, 09:01 PM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancyQ View Post
Hello everyone! I need help and advice. My took the delivery of the 23 X7 40i last Friday. Today, about 3 hours ago, it's dead. It showed a power train malfunction first and then a couple of minutes later, it became a drivetrain malfunction and won't even start. When I start the engine, I can hear the engining trying to start (not just the clicking sound) but it just won't start!!!

I am shocked! It has only 200 miles on it. On top of that, the tow truck cancelled on me 3 minutes before arrival after a 90 minute wait and then called roadside assistance, it's another 120 mins!!!

This is my first bimmer and it's crazy!!!

I am wondering other than getting it fixed, what are my options here? Demand a new car? Pre-order? Who do I even bring this up to at BMW? Or it's just my luck that I have to be stuck with it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Unless it's a simple fix chances are you will be waiting forever for parts. If this is the case you can initiate a Lemon Law case. Here's your states Lemon Law. https://illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/.../lemonlaw.html
Appreciate 2
Brigitte484.50
      08-17-2022, 09:06 PM   #4
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Mitch. So other than suing them (dealer or the manufacturer?), the dealer who sold me the car or BMW can't do anything about it?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:12 PM   #5
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?

Give them a chance to fix it under warranty. I know it's frustrating but see what they will do first. If the fix is not done in a timely manner there are consumer protection lemon laws for every state as well. People say these kind of things only happen to GM vehicles... Wrong
Appreciate 3
      08-17-2022, 09:15 PM   #6
JJ(BM)Dubya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60

Quote:
Thanks Mitch. So other than suing them (dealer or the manufacturer?), the dealer who sold me the car or BMW can't do anything about it?
I doubt it, although I think I’ve seen instances where dealers have just traded cars straight up. I’m not well versed in the lemon laws (ie what you need to show in order to meet the test) but given all of the people stuck in QC I think relying on that as evidence they put your car on the road prematurely could work in your favor. Keep an eye out on the QC thread since that’s where we post when we’ve got some insight. I’m on the long end of the QC embargo (its 3 weeks on Friday for me) and have been trying to get to the bottom of what the actual issue is with my car since knowing will help in the event there are further issues down the line.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2022, 09:15 PM   #7
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX7m60i View Post
Give them a chance to fix it under warranty. I know it's frustrating but see what they will do first. If the fix is not done in a timely manner there are consumer protection lemon laws for every state as well. People say these kind of things only happen to GM vehicles... Wrong
Thank you. Fingers acrossed it's a simple fix. Otherwise it will always be in the back of my mind that the car might die on us.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:17 PM   #8
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ(BM)Dubya View Post
I doubt it, although I think I’ve seen instances where dealers have just traded cars straight up. I’m not well versed in the lemon laws (ie what you need to show in order to meet the test) but given all of the people stuck in QC I think relying on that as evidence they put your car on the road prematurely could work in your favor. Keep an eye out on the QC thread since that’s where we post when we’ve got some insight. I’m on the long end of the QC embargo (its 3 weeks on Friday for me) and have been trying to get to the bottom of what the actual issue is with my car since knowing will help in the event there are further issues down the line.
Definitely. I have been following that stuck in QC thread. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:20 PM   #9
kyoshozx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I would also contact BMW directly; you should be able to find customer relations info on their site.

I had an issue with my x7, long story short it took them a while to resolve, and BMW made it right.
      08-17-2022, 09:21 PM   #10
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Thank you. Fingers acrossed it's a simple fix. Otherwise it will always be in the back of my mind that the car might die on us.
I lemoned an Escalade last year and it is not that bad of a process. You are not even close to that. Give them a chance. BMW Corp is way better than GM Corp too. BMW actually cares and I would contact them.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      08-17-2022, 09:25 PM   #11
MAXKONG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Did you give them chance to fix? Suing them? For what? What they did wrong?
Appreciate 3
BMWX7m60i182.50
P111572.00
alic9613.50
      08-17-2022, 09:27 PM   #12
Jrjones4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2023 X7 M60i

I took delivery of my X7 m60i last Friday. The dealer applied the software patch for the stop sale but had an issue with it updating BMW corporate that they had to work out before I could drive away. Anyone know what the stop sale was about and the software patch?
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2022, 10:17 PM   #13
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

Quote:
I’m not sure that you will have a claim against the dealer but you might have a claim against BMW under the lemon law code of your state. It’s very statutory, so just read it and make sure the facts fit.
      08-17-2022, 10:38 PM   #14
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Wow! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope it's a simple fix.

As to Lemon laws. I found this site which lists the lemon law by state:

https://www.autosafety.org/lemon-laws/
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:47 PM   #15
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

You don't have a lemon case . Illinois is actually a very difficult state compared to other parts of the country.

If your car hits 30 in service days then maybe you can request a trade in assist . Fancy terms for you trade in at x price . Bmw throws the dealer a bone with xx dollars to sign a new deal.

Also could eventually reach a buy back .

But we are still a ways away. Keep us posted .
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      08-17-2022, 11:24 PM   #16
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone. I will certainly keep you posted. When the tow truck guy came, the car was able to start and drive but the check engine light is on now. I still have the tow truck towed it to the dealer. Will call them first thing in the morning.

As for the lemon law, it will be difficult right now. After reading the links above, the case is not there yet. Really hope it's a simple fix and won't come back again.

I will keep this thread updated as I find out more. Thanks for the helpful responses.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 11:26 PM   #17
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshozx View Post
I would also contact BMW directly; you should be able to find customer relations info on their site.

I had an issue with my x7, long story short it took them a while to resolve, and BMW made it right.
Thank you. Good to know. I will reach out to them too.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 11:48 PM   #18
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I will certainly keep you posted. When the tow truck guy came, the car was able to start and drive but the check engine light is on now. I still have the tow truck towed it to the dealer. Will call them first thing in the morning.

As for the lemon law, it will be difficult right now. After reading the links above, the case is not there yet. Really hope it's a simple fix and won't come back again.

I will keep this thread updated as I find out more. Thanks for the helpful responses.
Good luck...please keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 11:50 PM   #19
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Are you sending it to orland or a closer bmw store
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 07:02 AM   #20
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Are you sending it to orland or a closer bmw store
Field BMW in Northfield. Orland Park is too far.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 07:24 AM   #21
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

just a word of advice, do not throw the term lemon law or lawyers with the dealer or bmwna until you are close to the statutory definition of a lemon in your state.

do document all interactions with the service dept and bmwna, service visits, etc. names of who you spoke to, what was said, etc. if the car has to go back, make sure they take the car in and generate a repair order for the visit.

be cautious about what you post online about the situation, specific details, dealer names, etc should be left out.

if the car is defective, a trade assist is the least painful route out. it gets difficult to go down this path if you start mentioning lemon law and lawsuits.

bmw does not want a car with a branded title. but the moment lawyers are mentioned, it changes the complexion of their interaction with you.

its frustrating to have a new car with issues, but it does happen. there are a few ways out of this if its not just a one off issue, the least painful way is with your dealer being a strong advocate. the legal route of lemon lawing is probably the least desirable path, but its always an option. just document everything.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2022, 08:28 AM   #22
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

My guess is a problem will be identified in the mild hybrid system and its associated 48 volt power system.
Appreciate 3