BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Advice needed!!! My 2023 X7 is dead!

08-18-2022, 10:21 AM   #23
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord - Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
just a word of advice, do not throw the term lemon law or lawyers with the dealer or bmwna until you are close to the statutory definition of a lemon in your state.

do document all interactions with the service dept and bmwna, service visits, etc. names of who you spoke to, what was said, etc. if the car has to go back, make sure they take the car in and generate a repair order for the visit.

be cautious about what you post online about the situation, specific details, dealer names, etc should be left out.

if the car is defective, a trade assist is the least painful route out. it gets difficult to go down this path if you start mentioning lemon law and lawsuits.

bmw does not want a car with a branded title. but the moment lawyers are mentioned, it changes the complexion of their interaction with you.

its frustrating to have a new car with issues, but it does happen. there are a few ways out of this if its not just a one off issue, the least painful way is with your dealer being a strong advocate. the legal route of lemon lawing is probably the least desirable path, but its always an option. just document everything.
Thank you. I am with you. I am not going to mention lemon law and etc. just want to work with the dealer to identify the root cause and hopefully get it fixed and it won't come back. Getting lawyers involved is really the last resort in my mind.

The dealer was nice enough to get us a loaner right away so we can still haul kids around for their activities. They still don't know what happened and I will give them a call around noon to see if they know more.

Good advice on not mentioning dealer names and keeping the documentation. The dealer said that they will send me a vedio after their diagnosis if they are able to pinpoint what went wrong and etc.. I am still hopefully that there is not an underlying issue there.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 10:22 AM   #24
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
My guess is a problem will be identified in the mild hybrid system and its associated 48 volt power system.
I have the same feeling. We will see what it comes back with. I did notice a lot of 2022 x7s have battery maintenance done but not this early and I am not sure if it will cause a drivetrain malfunction to a point where it won't even start. I will keep this thread posted once dealer figure out what's the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 10:55 AM   #25
BMVdude
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7

You have no base for lemon. Any OEM will claim that is why they warranty the car for X year/Y mileage. The lemon law protects us, the consumers, where the fixing attempts (for the different or same issue) are beyond reasonable time/attempts. Each state is different, BUT as others mentioned here, you must be well documented to make the process (if/when it comes to it) very fast. I wouldn't bring the word "lemon" too early in the game, ideally only when you meet the criteria or very close to it because it isn't the "first rodeo" for the dealer, and they know what expect them at the end of the tunnel
Appreciate 1
DancyQ70.00
      08-18-2022, 11:03 AM   #26
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

I skimmed through the posts, and I'm probably repeating some of that, but don't jump to conclusions. It could be something simple, but it could be something involved. It's also interesting times, it isn't like your dealer has another 23 just sitting on the lot to potentially trade you into.

Also, lemon law typically requires repeated attempts to fix the same issue, you're not even close to that at this point, and mentioned law suit or lemon law can quickly make the dealer not want to deal with you at all.

If I were you, I'd contact your sales person and explain the situation and request a loaner. My dealer offered a loaner to me when I said I had a CEL, but I cleared it myself and I'll have them deal with it when they're replacing another part. Key point, my dealer felt empathy and offered a loaner.

I'd get it towed, I'd do whatever you can to get them to put you into a loaner (ideally X7 if not X5), and then let BMW work it out for you. It's possible they may not have a loaner today, but I'd work with the sales person and general manager if needed to get you into the first loaner possible (or a sales demo). It's possible you may need to take a lesser loaner, but kindly request a similar car. We buy X7s to haul people/families so give them an opportunity to make it right, and realize we're in crazy times with limited inventory, but the dealer should do their best to help you considering it's a BRAND NEW ~$100k car.

Good luck!
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2016 Cadillac ATS-V 6MT, 2013 Audi S6, 2011 Audi S4 6MT, 2008 BMW Z4MC 6MT, 2008 BMW M3 6MT, 2009 BMW X5 35d
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:14 PM   #27
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
I skimmed through the posts, and I'm probably repeating some of that, but don't jump to conclusions. It could be something simple, but it could be something involved. It's also interesting times, it isn't like your dealer has another 23 just sitting on the lot to potentially trade you into.

Also, lemon law typically requires repeated attempts to fix the same issue, you're not even close to that at this point, and mentioned law suit or lemon law can quickly make the dealer not want to deal with you at all.

If I were you, I'd contact your sales person and explain the situation and request a loaner. My dealer offered a loaner to me when I said I had a CEL, but I cleared it myself and I'll have them deal with it when they're replacing another part. Key point, my dealer felt empathy and offered a loaner.

I'd get it towed, I'd do whatever you can to get them to put you into a loaner (ideally X7 if not X5), and then let BMW work it out for you. It's possible they may not have a loaner today, but I'd work with the sales person and general manager if needed to get you into the first loaner possible (or a sales demo). It's possible you may need to take a lesser loaner, but kindly request a similar car. We buy X7s to haul people/families so give them an opportunity to make it right, and realize we're in crazy times with limited inventory, but the dealer should do their best to help you considering it's a BRAND NEW ~$100k car.

Good luck!

Thanks. Yes, it was towed to a different dealer than the one I bought with because where it broke down and the new dealer was empathetic and gave us a X5 loaner. They have their director approved one even though I didn't buy it from them but given it's a brand new car. They got one for us right away which was nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #28
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancyQ View Post
Thanks. Yes, it was towed to a different dealer than the one I bought with because where it broke down and the new dealer was empathetic and gave us a X5 loaner. They have their director approved one even though I didn't buy it from them but given it's a brand new car. They got one for us right away which was nice.
they are trying hard to earn your business/goodwill. there is no general loaner policy from bmw, and most dealers will reserve them as a loyalty perk.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:30 PM   #29
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
they are trying hard to earn your business/goodwill. there is no general loaner policy from bmw, and most dealers will reserve them as a loyalty perk.
Got it. I was just wondering why my advisor specifically said that he had to get the director approval. I thought as long as you are doing maintenance and repair work with them, they always give a loaner. Good to know that they are trying. Hopefully not because they think I will be a repeat "fix" customer based on the car condition.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:00 PM   #30
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Got it. I was just wondering why my advisor specifically said that he had to get the director approval. I thought as long as you are doing maintenance and repair work with them, they always give a loaner. Good to know that they are trying. Hopefully not because they think I will be a repeat "fix" customer based on the car condition.
Even a Ford dealer provided me with a loaner. And if they estimate that the car will be ready the same day...they give me a ride to wherever I want to go and pick me up from there when the car is ready. You would expect at least that much from a luxury car dealership! I certainly hope so.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:02 PM   #31
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
Even a Ford dealer provided me with a loaner. And if they estimate that the car will be ready the same day...they give me a ride to wherever I want to go and pick me up from there when the car is ready. You would expect at least that much from a luxury car dealership! I certainly hope so.
bmw corporate does not have a set loaner/transportation policy. its up to the individual dealers.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:05 PM   #32
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
bmw corporate does not have a set loaner/transportation policy. its up to the individual dealers.
That is interesting that they don't have a set policy for loaner. One would think they have some guidelines. On the upside, they (both BMW yesterday when we called road side assistance and the dealer this morning) ordered an Uber for us and paid for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:07 PM   #33
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it's a Ford policy either. I think they just provide that service as a courtesy! I would expect a BMW dealership would extend that same courtesy! I'll be extremely disappointed if they don't!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:37 PM   #34
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it's a Ford policy either. I think they just provide that service as a courtesy! I would expect a BMW dealership would extend that same courtesy! I'll be extremely disappointed if they don't!
again,its individual dealer policy.
most of the dealers near me have a loaner only if you are a customer of their sales dept or book far in advance.

its not like lexus where the loaner program is set by the mfr.

lately its been extremely difficult to get a loaner even if booked ahead at your retailing dealer, dealers are not diverting the cars from their allocations to be loaners vs selling them.
my dealer had only a handful of loaners and they were all older and higher mileage than in the past specifically due to shortages.

loaners can be resold or leased if their mileage is below 5,000 miles as new cars. and in the past all the loaner had big signs in them to not go past that mileage

the last time i went in for service about 9 months ago, the loaners were older and well past the 5K miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:46 PM   #35
U235
Rep

Quote:
As stated, the dealers buy cars for loaner purposes as a perk of you doing your service with BMW. However, ALL dealers (not just BMW) have such limited cars to sell, dealers are buying less loaners because they have no choice. They used to have no issue loading their lot with cars and then using loaners and then reselling them as lightly used loaners, but now, the demand exceeds inventory, so there are very few.

Volvo is in the same boat, for our last XC90, I was told the wait time for a loaner is 3+ months.

So effectively, a manager or someone with authority would likely need to approve a loaner, which likely means someone else will lose out. Humbly speaking, the level of "unknown" with your vehicle, brand new engine, brand new tech platform and diagnostics. You may be in that X5 for days/weeks, so it's actually a big deal they got you a car as they're so scarce.

So far, they're doing a great job it seems! Keep us posted and fingers crossed for you!
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2016 Cadillac ATS-V 6MT, 2013 Audi S6, 2011 Audi S4 6MT, 2008 BMW Z4MC 6MT, 2008 BMW M3 6MT, 2009 BMW X5 35d
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #36
U235
Rep

Quote:
My neighbor has a brand new F150 King Ranch and when it rained, the roof would leak like crazy. It took months for them to fix as it was a new model and they couldn't get the drain tube and seals from Ford. The dealer didn't have loaners due to the car shortage, so they ended up paying Enterprise rent-a-car for several weeks. At first he got a Kia sedan, but he complained after a week and they put him in a Infiniti QX80, it was costing Ford $600 per week. I believe the dealer was getting money back from Ford. Ultimately, he got it back and it still leaked. He contacted Ford and discussed a buy back which they agreed to (without legal threatening), but it took 6 months for him to get a new truck due to the backlog. They let him continue driving the truck, but they applied 3M clear tape to the entire roof (it looks really bad).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 02:42 PM   #37
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
My neighbor has a brand new F150 King Ranch and when it rained, the roof would leak like crazy. It took months for them to fix as it was a new model and they couldn't get the drain tube and seals from Ford. The dealer didn't have loaners due to the car shortage, so they ended up paying Enterprise rent-a-car for several weeks. At first he got a Kia sedan, but he complained after a week and they put him in a Infiniti QX80, it was costing Ford $600 per week. I believe the dealer was getting money back from Ford. Ultimately, he got it back and it still leaked. He contacted Ford and discussed a buy back which they agreed to (without legal threatening), but it took 6 months for him to get a new truck due to the backlog. They let him continue driving the truck, but they applied 3M clear tape to the entire roof (it looks really bad).
All my life I've owned Mercury and Ford...I never had problems. I used to put a lot of mileage...like 30,000 to 35,000 miles a year. So I used to trade-in my car every 2 to 3 years. Maybe this was during the good old days! My current car is a Ford...I think I only took it to the dealer for recalls and maintenance. With that said, I read posts about people complaining about a variety of issues with their Lincoln and Ford. So I decided to go with a different manufacturer...I looked into Infiniti QX60 (a long time ago I had an Infiniti Q45)...Lexus RX 450hl...Acura MDX and Cadillac XT6. What impresses me the most is the Super Cruise option in the Cadillac XT6. You can drive on freeways hands-free...it even changes lanes on its own. And believe it or not NHTSA shows zero complaints for the 2022 Cadillac XT6. So I'm still considering it unless I see bad reviews from consumers.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 05:21 PM   #38
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Infant failures happen. BMW will get it figured out pretty quickly and if they can't they will work with you on it.

FYI I have lemoned two of our BMW's in the last 20 years. Both were fairly painless, although at the time it sucked. One where our new F15 had a rod failure at 4K miles and blew a piston straight through the bottom of the motor.

I still continue to buy BMW's to this day. These things happen in mass produced items. If you don't have a root cause in the next 48 hours then I would start to get concerned and raise it up the chain at BMW corporate.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 06:18 PM   #39
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

We have been in a special and unique manufacturing perfect storm the last two years.
We have been screaming on this forum for the last year not to buy a first year production BMW.

History on this forum has shown countless reasons why and that’s when BMW actually has all the parts and options to build with. I am even part of that statistic for 2019 G05 with iDrive tech issues. That said, my fully optioned 2020 X7M50i has been flawless and build impeccably so BMW can build excellent vehicles when in ideal manufacturing conditions. Ideal manufacturing conditions were forecasted to be back around the 2025 model year by several insiders from other German manufacturers.

BMW was having problems finding parts and options for the 2021-2022 X7 and there was no way trying to kick out a LCI in the current manufacturing environment wasn’t going to be overextending their capabilities.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-18-2022 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 06:34 PM   #40
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep

A quick update, my advisor were not response so all I got right now is that, it's a software issue. They didn't sound too confident, just said all the mechanics are check out and they applied a software patch. The dealer is working with BMW NA to figure it out. It's fixed right now but BMW wants to put some more miles on it. When I pick it up, I will ask for more details.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 06:43 PM   #41
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
A quick update, my advisor were not response so all I got right now is that, it's a software issue. They didn't sound too confident, just said all the mechanics are check out and they applied a software patch. The dealer is working with BMW NA to figure it out. It's fixed right now but BMW wants to put some more miles on it. When I pick it up, I will ask for more details.
Make sure you talk to the service and dealership manager and express to them if you are to be a “beta tester” by putting on more miles and there is a failure, you will want another new BMW. Make it crystal clear this is THE only solution.
You hold all the cards now and make sure you play them right. BMW has a history of using their customers as beta testers for free and you want to make sure you will be fully compensated for the inconvenience, especially at this price point.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 08:12 PM   #42
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Make sure you talk to the service and dealership manager and express to them if you are to be a “beta tester” by putting on more miles and there is a failure, you will want another new BMW. Make it crystal clear this is THE only solution.
You hold all the cards now and make sure you play them right. BMW has a history of using their customers as beta testers for free and you want to make sure you will be fully compensated for the inconvenience, especially at this price point.
I did not know that at all. What is a beta tester? Is there a threshold for how many more miles they put on? I was thinking about that when they said putting more miles on. That's a new car and they just casually say putting more miles on it. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 08:23 PM   #43
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
I did not know that at all. What is a beta tester? Is there a threshold for how many more miles they put on? I was thinking about that when they said putting more miles on. That's a new car and they just casually say putting more miles on it. Thanks for the info.
A guinea pig of sorts. Using your car to figure out the problem that is likely going to impact others.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 08:35 PM   #44
Bigrahizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 x7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I would ask for some sort of compensation. This what's being resolved at the factory. People have been waiting weeks in QC. This shouldn't have passed QC in the first place
Appreciate 2
BMWX7m60i182.50
MystroX56289.50