BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Advice needed!!! My 2023 X7 is dead!

08-19-2022, 11:24 AM   #67
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancyQ View Post
Just got an update from the advisor. The faulty codes are related to the 48v system related to power supply issue. He said the design is new for the 23 model. After they clear the code yesterday and put only a few miles on, it came back. :-( so they are working with BMW to look into it. The earliest we can have the car back will be next week. The fact that the issue keeps coming back worries me. Anyone else has issue with their 23 model? I have a feeling that this is gonna drag on. This is not good...
I'm confused as to his comment regarding a new design?

I hope this will work out for you soon...please keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 12:12 PM   #68
jdloyd01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Just got an update from the advisor. The faulty codes are related to the 48v system related to power supply issue. He said the design is new for the 23 model. After they clear the code yesterday and put only a few miles on, it came back. :-( so they are working with BMW to look into it. The earliest we can have the car back will be next week. The fact that the issue keeps coming back worries me. Anyone else has issue with their 23 model? I have a feeling that this is gonna drag on. This is not good...
I have had no issues with our yet. I'm crossing my fingers. It sounds like the dealer is keeping you in the loop quite well and have done their best to get the issue escalated and resolved. Hopefully it is fixed soon.

I do sympathize with your worries about a reoccurring issue. The spot welds on my last car popped loose and had to be re-welded. The symptom was a faint rattle/squeak. After it was fixed every squeak and rattle made me think some other weld had broke loose. Tis a large reason we now have an X7. I will say that I would rather have an issue with a part that can be "bolted" on rather than the unibody that is the core of the car. It just sucks to not have your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 02:09 PM   #69
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Long gone are the days of BMW aircraft roots, where the engineers thought of multiple failures and how to mitigate them. Nowadays, one sensor hiccups and off to drivetrain malfunction the computer goes. It's as much a hardware as is a software failure.

There seems to be a lot of various issues attributed to some sort of failure of the 48V hybrid system. Most often than not, it's seems to center on the 48V battery or the charging circuit. For some reason, the rest of the hardware cannot function without it. That's a bad design - unless the system can be made to be fault less, which does not seem to be the case.

First year design or re-design models generally take the brunt of all the issues. At least it seems that the dealer did the right thing here and they cleared the codes got the vehicle running and actually did more testing which resulted in a repeated failure. This way they were able to replicate the problem and it gives them more data points to trouble shoot it and get a permanent fix in place. Rather than just reset it and say it's fine, and have the customer experience another failure.

Difficult to say if there is going to be a long-term issue, it will be related to either local (part or software) issue or design issue. The first one is easy to correct and generally results in long-term solution, the second is a lot more complicated and can drag on for a while (like the S63).

Hopefully the dealer will do the right thing (they appear to be doing so), and figures it out for a permanent fix. No vehicles are immune to quirks and issues. Years ago I had a misfortune to get the only Lexus GX470 on the planet that was nothing but one problem after another, requiring more parts replaced that actually went into the original production of the vehicle. But if you look into reliability statistics for GX470 - it's absolutely stellar !
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 02:54 PM   #70
Lmclaugh
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7

I am in a similar situation. My X7 was about 25 days old and it died. I've been told it was the battery. It has been at the dealer for 30 days with no resolution. I contacted BMW NA right out of the gate. About 5 days later, a representative called but I was out of the country. I have tried to contact that representative three times since and he won't return my calls. No one is communicating with me and I feel so defeated by the entire process. I'm stuck in a terrible rental paying for a car I have hardly driven.

I wish you luck and hope BMW is more responsive to you.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #71
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmclaugh View Post
I am in a similar situation. My X7 was about 25 days old and it died. I've been told it was the battery. It has been at the dealer for 30 days with no resolution. I contacted BMW NA right out of the gate. About 5 days later, a representative called but I was out of the country. I have tried to contact that representative three times since and he won't return my calls. No one is communicating with me and I feel so defeated by the entire process. I'm stuck in a terrible rental paying for a car I have hardly driven.

You have a 22 or a 2023?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 03:33 PM   #72
wamochi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
the mild hybrid 48v was going to be my guess too.

if you peruse the MB forums, the X167 (GLS) and V167 (GLE) have similar issues. they added the mild hybrid system in 2020 with the redesign of those two models. apparently it still happens even 3 years into the models' life cycle, so some of the kinks still haven't been figured out.

not sure why it's so complicated, and of course it's probably a very small % of affected vehicles, but nonetheless it is extremely frustrating for buyers like you with brand new cars!

glad to hear the dealer is at least trying to keep you posted regularly and got you into a comparable loaner!
      08-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #73
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX7m60i View Post
You have a 22 or a 2023?
I'm assuming it's a 22 as it was 25 days old when it happened and had been at the dealer for 30 days.. They started producing the 23 at the beginning of this month..
Appreciate 1
BMWX7m60i182.50
      08-19-2022, 03:56 PM   #74
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:

Your car is eligible to get a replacement based on the Lemon laws..
Appreciate 1
BMWX7m60i182.50
      08-19-2022, 04:02 PM   #75
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
I'm confused as to his comment regarding a new design?

I hope this will work out for you soon...please keep us posted!
The 2023 models have the second generation mild hybrid system that’s connected to the transmission. It provides more power and efficiency than the previous model and offers it on the V8 as well (previously only the I6 had a mild hybrid).

The X7 is actually the first car BMW has released with the new B58, S68, and 2nd gen mild hybrid, so I’d expect some teething issues early on. Hopefully, it is something software related or easy to fix in this case.
Appreciate 2
Brigitte484.50
xlover2191.00
      08-19-2022, 04:09 PM   #76
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post
The 2023 models have the second generation mild hybrid system that’s connected to the transmission. It provides more power and efficiency than the previous model and offers it on the V8 as well (previously only the I6 had a mild hybrid).

The X7 is actually the first car BMW has released with the new B58, S68, and 2nd gen mild hybrid, so I’d expect some teething issues early on. Hopefully, it is something software related or easy to fix in this case.
Thanks for the explanation. I hope they fix it so it's not a recurrent problem....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #77
streborx
Major
Rep

IMO, the problem is lithium battery technology, both the batteries and their associated maintenance/control electronics. At some time, every product incorporating lithium batteries -- from hoverboards to smartphones to Chevy Bolts to Boeing Dreamliners -- has flamed out due to lithium battery malfunctions. BMW has likely incorporated some very conservative design measures to avoid the added weight of an integral fire extinguishing system. But the result could be lithium batteries that gradually deplete because they aren't being adequately charged in order to avoid overheating. And a depleted battery means no go-ey. Blame the EPA for writing fuel efficiency standards that are pushing vehicle makers into deploying technologies before they're fully debugged and proved-in.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 06:18 PM   #78
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord - Manual

Quote:

Oh man. I emailed BMW customer service too and they said someone will call me within 24 business hours. But I am in back to back meetings on Monday. I am sorry to hear that you have a similar issue and it took that long. When did this happen to you and is it resolved yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 07:02 PM   #79
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh man. I emailed BMW customer service too and they said someone will call me within 24 business hours. But I am in back to back meetings on Monday. I am sorry to hear that you have a similar issue and it took that long. When did this happen to you and is it resolved yet?
This is his thread where he explained what happened so far:

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post29231536
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 07:31 PM   #80
Lmclaugh
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

This happened in July. I've been patient but hate the lack of communication. It makes it seem like they don't care or are trying to avoid the problem. I had a 2020 X7 but traded it in because water had leaked in which caused issue with the electrical. My experience with the dealership was fantastic. Couldn't have been easier. Just sucks to be in this spot for so long with no answers. I absolutely love the X7 and have not found anything similar that I like. I'm trying to hold out hope it will be resolved.
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      08-19-2022, 07:58 PM   #81
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
This happened in July. I've been patient but hate the lack of communication. It makes it seem like they don't care or are trying to avoid the problem. I had a 2020 X7 but traded it in because water had leaked in which caused issue with the electrical. My experience with the dealership was fantastic. Couldn't have been easier. Just sucks to be in this spot for so long with no answers. I absolutely love the X7 and have not found anything similar that I like. I'm trying to hold out hope it will be resolved.
Praying it will be resolved to your satisfaction...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 08:36 PM   #82
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord - Manual

Quote:
Man, good luck. We both need that. The battery or the 48v seems to have problem or maybe it's just our luck. Did you tried to talk to BMW directly (or through your dealer) about a buy back or replacement?

I texted the SA from the selling dealer. He said he has raised it to the sales manager and general manager about the situation and they will reach out to BMW NA as well to see if it can expedite things.

How long does it take for your state to get back to you if the lemon law stands in your case?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 10:26 PM   #83
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post

Do you know if the mild hybrid system is in the the 2022 M50i as well?
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 10:50 PM   #84
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesoM View Post
Do you know if the mild hybrid system is in the the 2022 M50i as well?
No, the M50i did not have a mild hybrid system, only the new M60i.
Appreciate 1
awesoM306.50
      08-20-2022, 07:41 AM   #85
Lmclaugh
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Man, good luck. We both need that. The battery or the 48v seems to have problem or maybe it's just our luck. Did you tried to talk to BMW directly (or through your dealer) about a buy back or replacement?

I texted the SA from the selling dealer. He said he has raised it to the sales manager and general manager about the situation and they will reach out to BMW NA as well to see if it can expedite things.

How long does it take for your state to get back to you if the lemon law stands in your case?
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! I contact BMW NA the day after the car was towed. I was so frustrated because my 2020 was in for so many issues that I couldn't believe I was starting over with a new car on a bad foot. When I returned from vacation and had heard nothing, I texted with my service guy. He recommended I reach out to BMW NA and he showed our text exchanges to the service manager. Last week, I contacted the Client Advisor who I purchased from. He had no idea of my issues and promised to do whatever he could to help. I just wonder if it is normal for BMW NA to not return calls. Seems odd to me and in all honestly, I would be fine if there was more communication or updates. As I said, I really like this car a lot. Don't want to give it up. Just sucks to pay so much for a car you cannot drive.
Day 32 today….keeping the faith
Good luck to you!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 09:06 AM   #86
streborx
Major
Rep

If I had financed the car through BMW, I would inform them that no payments would be forthcoming until the car is fixed and back in my possession.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #87
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
If I had financed the car through BMW, I would inform them that no payments would be forthcoming until the car is fixed and back in my possession.
Then they will report it to the credit bureaus ruining your credit. Unfortunately...they don't care!
Appreciate 1
BMWX7m60i182.50
      08-20-2022, 09:29 AM   #88
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
This is horrible advice, that’s not how it works. You’re contractually obligated to that lien just as BMW is obligated to fix the car. Not paying will yield significant negative consequences for the purchaser.
Appreciate 2
xlover2191.00
PatMo9.00